Firefox 9 blocking Iron 13 in Lucid?

Using applications, configuring, problems
torgo

Firefox 9 blocking Iron 13 in Lucid?

#1 Post by torgo »

Here's the experiment:

Boot from a Lucid 5.28 CD (from the updated ISO). Install the Iron 13 pet from the News page. Try it out to make sure it works. It does.

Next, install the Firefox 8 pet. Open it to see that it will load up, but then close it. Run Iron to make sure it still works. It should still be working fine.

Now run Firefox again, click Help > About Firefox, and let it download the update to the new v9. Apply the update and restart. Firefox works fine.

But now try running Iron. It won't open at all. You click to open it, and nothing happens.

Use the Puppy Package Manager and remove Firefox 8. Try running Iron. Suddenly it's working again.

Reinstall the Firefox 8 pet. Iron still works. Let Firefox update to v9. And now Iron won't load. Even if it's set as the default browser, you click the Browse icon and nothing happens.

Remove Iron and reinstall. No luck - it won't work. But then remove Firefox, and Iron opens up just fine.

Conclusion: at least on my system, Iron 13 can't live with Firefox 9.

Does this happen to anyone else, or is it just me/my particular system?

torgo

#2 Post by torgo »

Just checking... has anyone else tried this?

Does the Iron 13 from the pet on the news page install and open properly on everyone else's system if Firefox is also installed and updated to v9?

Or does letting Firefox update itself cause Iron not to load, as I have found on my system?