Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 17:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Problems Compiling on Hard Disc
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
Author Message
PINK30

Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan 2012, 17:44    Post subject:  Problems Compiling on Hard Disc  

Greetings
Trying to compile a wireless driver for Slacko-5.3.1 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74698

I run into a problem with the instructions http://puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

Specificly the directives read:
Quote:
Currently, installing the "devx" file in a Type 2 (full) hard drive installation is more complicated, and you can't undo it. It involves some steps....

2. Click on the devx_xxx.sfs in a ROX-Filer window to mount it.
3. Open a terminal in the mounted directory.
6. # cp -a --remove-destination ./* /mnt/hda2/
7. # sync
8. Close the terminal.
9. Click on the devx_xxx.sfs file to unmount it

Note, the '--remove-destination' option is essential. If you only use '-f' to force overwrite, it will follow (dereference) a symlink, that can cause unexpected overwrites.


however the partition designation "hda2" [or hda1, sda1,sda2, hdc1, hdc2 etc ] all return:
"cp: target ' /mnt/hda2 [or whatever] is not a directory"

I am unable to work out what hda2 is supposed to be.


Also the kernels in the Sources http://bkhome.org/sources/ go from 2.6.35.7 straight to 2.6.39 however Slacko-5.3.1 is built upon 2.6.37.6. Is the 2.6.37.6 kernel missing for a reason and do I just use the Linux kernel from The Kernel Archive?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
RetroTechGuy


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 2668
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 01:00    Post subject: Re: Problems Compiling on Hard Disc  

PINK30 wrote:
Greetings
Trying to compile a wireless driver for Slacko-5.3.1 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74698

I run into a problem with the instructions http://puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

Specificly the directives read:
Quote:
Currently, installing the "devx" file in a Type 2 (full) hard drive installation is more complicated, and you can't undo it. It involves some steps....


Let's start here. Did you actually do a full install? Or did you do a frugal install (in which is actually very easy to mount the devx file).

_________________
Add swapfile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PINK30

Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb 2012, 16:30    Post subject: Re: Problems Compiling on Hard Disc  

RetroTechGuy wrote:


Let's start here. Did you actually do a full install? Or did you do a frugal install (in which is actually very easy to mount the devx file).


Greetings RTG and thank you for your interest and help.

YES! I had set up a save file etc. In fact I got the driver built and working but as I have very limited WWW access.

I managed in a LIVE! session but I do need to build other packages PETs etc in a full install environment.

I still do not understand what the
" 6. # cp -a --remove-destination ./* /mnt/hda2/"
and "7. # sync"
are doing....


Thanks again




Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
RetroTechGuy


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 2668
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2012, 00:05    Post subject: Re: Problems Compiling on Hard Disc  

PINK30 wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:


Let's start here. Did you actually do a full install? Or did you do a frugal install (in which is actually very easy to mount the devx file).


Greetings RTG and thank you for your interest and help.

YES! I had set up a save file etc. In fact I got the driver built and working but as I have very limited WWW access.

I managed in a LIVE! session but I do need to build other packages PETs etc in a full install environment.

I still do not understand what the
" 6. # cp -a --remove-destination ./* /mnt/hda2/"
and "7. # sync"
are doing....


A list of commands: http://ss64.com/bash/

"cp" is "copy":
http://linux.die.net/man/1/cp

"sync" is "synchronize data on disk with memory"
http://linux.die.net/man/8/sync

This last command "flushes" the data stored in RAM to the HDD (Linux runs in RAM much of the time)

_________________
Add swapfile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0524s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0038s) ][ GZIP on ]