Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
magerlab

#481 Post by magerlab »

I can not get a wifi connection with WPA/TKIP in Saluki 005. It always worked fine in other puppies and in 001-004 Saluki.
Xfce4 is fine :)

Sage

#482 Post by Sage »

Barking is essential for testing and reassurance.
Double-click default will only endear you to hardened refugees. One will suffice.
Appreciate the small size, but even the crumbiest default browser (other than ELinks!) would help until all the items in PPM are updated in nluug & ibiblio. Please update FlashPlayer to Opera11.6-compatible version - think mick did this for Slacko? might've been PD for Lupu? Or let folks know how to do their own update?
Could the Xfce Control Panel be reverted to a pre-4.8 version and operated like the full Settings Manager?

jemimah

#483 Post by jemimah »

Sage wrote:Double-click default will only endear you to hardened refugees.
I don't think xfdesktop has a single click option. Let me know if you find it.

magerlab

#484 Post by magerlab »

I think it has only double click. That's why i move all launchers into second xfce-panel at top.
But in next xfce4.10( beta in January? ) they promise to apply single click since desktop will be handled by thunar

jemimah

#485 Post by jemimah »

To solve the problem where Frisbee won't take your password create the following directory:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors

jemimah

#486 Post by jemimah »

For those who had difficulty getting SNS or Dougals Network Wizard to work, did you disable Frisbee first?

You should go into the control panel and tell Frisbee not to start.

After that it should work, as long as you select SNS or Dougals Network from the Internet Connection Wizard.

Let me know if it still doesn't. I'm not sure if my newer dhcpcd is incompatble with the other scripts or not. I don't really want have to include two versons of dhcpcd.

Geoffrey

#487 Post by Geoffrey »

Looks good, but does need a debug, I still have the petget problem with a USB install but this fixes that
pemasu wrote:Shinobars PPM (petget) folder fixes might help with pupmode=13 ie usb boot situatiations. It changes the way how to save installed applications in pupmode=13.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829
Also have problem emptying the trash and deleting some files, don't know if it's USB related, I get this message sometimes " unable to trash file invalid cross-device link ", right clicking desktop trash icon the "Empty Trash" greyed out don't work.

To explore sfs files with thunar, right click on sfs file go to " Open With Other Application" then "Use a custom command:" type in "filemnt" then have ability to mount and unmount sfs file's by clicking them, no xdg-open, so can't configure web browser downloader to open mime types, can only set to open download folder using Thunar command.

xf desktop mouse is double click, there has never been a single click option.

I have some themes that seem to work ok with xfce and thunar, try theses.
Attachments
OSX_theme.pet
(69.34 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Chrome_Like.pet
(51.83 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Melted_Plastique3_theme.pet
(144.35 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

jemimah

#488 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
To explore sfs files with thunar, right click on sfs file go to " Open With Other Application" then "Use a custom command:" type in "filemnt" then have ability to mount and unmount sfs file's by clicking them, no xdg-open, so can't configure web browser downloader to open mime types, can only set to open download folder using Thunar command.
Oops I broke that. I'll fix it for the next release. Xdg-open is called exo-open in xfce.

Billtoo

#489 Post by Billtoo »

jemimah wrote:For those who had difficulty getting SNS or Dougals Network Wizard to work, did you disable Frisbee first?

You should go into the control panel and tell Frisbee not to start.

After that it should work, as long as you select SNS or Dougals Network from the Internet Connection Wizard.
I told Frisbee not to start, then used SNS and it worked but needs to be rerun each reboot.
Then I used Dougals Network and ran auto dhcp, saved the settings, and the wireless network connects each bootup.

Billtoo

Saluki

#490 Post by Billtoo »

01micko's tempicon-0.04.pet and lm_sensors-3.1.2.pet work.
Attachments
image-1.png
(4.58 KiB) Downloaded 851 times

Geoffrey

#491 Post by Geoffrey »

Here's a small mod for the /root/.gtkrc.mine file so that the desktop icons don't have those ugly text box's

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"
gtk-icon-theme-name="gnome"
gtk-can-change-accels = 1
gtk-double-click-time = 500
gtk-font-name = "DejaVu Sans 10"
Here's a screen shot using the transparent gtk.mine and a transparent wallpaper and changed the backround color, also shows stuff in the trash but the button is greyed out.

jemimah, I notice there was no xfce screen shooter, works good in conjunction with clipman, gives a preview in Clipboard Manager on taskbar, for the size it's worth including, here is a copy of the one from Quirky nop, seems to work ok, just a thought.
Attachments
xfce4-screenshooter.gz
not a gz
(22.76 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Flow-tran.png
Transparent wallpaper
(94.23 KiB) Downloaded 311 times

Geoffrey

Re: Saluki

#492 Post by Geoffrey »

Billtoo wrote:01micko's tempicon-0.04.pet and lm_sensors-3.1.2.pet work.
There is one builtin, no need for another, also shows motherboard temp and voltages, there isn't much thats needed to add to xfce, has a lot of features.
Attachments
temp-monitor.png
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 846 times

jemimah

#493 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:jemimah, I notice there was no xfce screen shooter, works good in conjunction with clipman, gives a preview in Clipboard Manager on taskbar, for the size it's worth including, here is a copy of the one from Quirky nop, seems to work ok, just a thought.
I think it didn't compile when I tried. I'll take another look or use yours if I can't get it.

Sage

#494 Post by Sage »

Jem.- angel:
I don't think xfdesktop has a single click option

In the 'conventional' Xfce Settings/Xfce 4 Settings Manager/File Manager/Behaviour can be found the 'single click' option. {It works on everything except icons from the displayed desktop.}
But, I don't recognise the present version of Xfce Control Panel and don't see the usual 'Settings Manager'. Would be a good plan to inspect a regular distro installation that defaults to Xfce - there are lots - then all will become clear. I think gray might use the 'regular' Xfce in NOP? Also try Mint9Xfce/Vector/PCLOS-PhoenixXfce/Others, possibly Lighthouse?
It's in there somewhere but not implemented, esp. in Xfce overlay distros like Gnome'buntu and Gnome Mint, into which can be loaded the Xfce desktop. i.e., although Xfce is only a desktop, you need to inspect a distro designed as an Xfce release with all the excess Gnome garbage removed. There are guys who do this very successfully but it's well outside my remit.
Last edited by Sage on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#495 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:jemimah, I notice there was no xfce screen shooter, works good in conjunction with clipman, gives a preview in Clipboard Manager on taskbar, for the size it's worth including, here is a copy of the one from Quirky nop, seems to work ok, just a thought.
I think it didn't compile when I tried. I'll take another look or use yours if I can't get it.
jemimah, that xfce4-screenshooter still has the help button active which links to " /usr/bin/xfhelp4 " , this opens file:///usr/share/doc/index.html in conjunction with /usr/bin/xfbrowser4 which is already in Saluki, but not being used by the look of it

And while I remember, the open on the right click menu of the desktop trash don't work for me either, it's strange when emptying the trash, it pops up with a message that files can't be modified and do you want to skip them, if I select yes to all they delete, weird :?

xfhelp4

#!/bin/sh
#
#  gxfce
#
#  Copyright (C) 1999 Olivier Fourdan (fourdan@xfce.org)
#  Copyright (C) 2003 Jasper Huijsmans (jasper@xfce.org)
#
#  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
#  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
#  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
#

HELP_DIR="/usr/share/doc"

if [ ! x"$1" = x"" ]; then
    HELP_FILE="$1"
else
    HELP_FILE="index.html"
fi

# Check for translated documentation
if [ -n "$LC_ALL" ] ; then 
  LC=$LC_ALL
elif [ -n "$LANG" ] ; then
  LC=$LANG
else
  LC="C"
fi

if [ -r "$HELP_DIR/$LC/$HELP_FILE" ]
then
  URL="$HELP_DIR/$LC/$HELP_FILE"
elif [ -r "$HELP_DIR/`echo $LC | sed 's/\(..\)_.*/\1/'`/$HELP_FILE" ]
then
  URL="$HELP_DIR/`echo $LC | sed 's/\(..\)_.*/\1/'`/$HELP_FILE"
elif [ -r "$HELP_DIR/C/$HELP_FILE" ]
then
  URL="$HELP_DIR/C/$HELP_FILE"
else 
  URL="$HELP_DIR/index.html"
fi

xfbrowser4 $URL
xfbrowser4

#!/bin/sh

if [ "x$BROWSER" = "x" ]
then
  for b in exo-open  firefox epiphany galeon mozilla konqueror dillo
  do
    if which "$b" > /dev/null 2>&1
    then
      BROWSER=$b
      break;
    fi
  done
fi

if [ "x$BROWSER" = "x" ]
then
  echo " *** Error ***: xfbrowser4: Could not find browser to use."
  echo "                Please set the BROWSER variable."
  exit 1
fi

if [ ! "x$1" = "x" ]; then
  case $1 in
      *://*) URL=$1;;
      *) URL="file://$1" ;;
  esac
fi

case $BROWSER in
    firefox*)
	$BROWSER -a firefox -remote openurl\($URL,new-window\) || \
		$BROWSER $URL
	;;
    communicator*|netscape|mozilla*|phoenix*|firebird*)
	$BROWSER -remote openurl\($URL,new-window\) || \
		$BROWSER $URL    
	;;
    opera*)
    	$BROWSER -remote openURL\($URL,new-window\) || \
		$BROWSER $URL
	;;
	exo-open)
	    $BROWSER --launch WebBrowser $URL
	;;
    *)
    	$BROWSER $URL
	;;
esac

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	xmessage -center -file - -title Error <<EOF
Unable to execute browser. 
Online help is not available.
EOF
	exit 1
fi

exit 0

Volhout

drive mounting in 005

#496 Post by Volhout »

Tested drive mounting on a P4 2GHz system.
Opened the PC, and disconnected the internal speaker.
Barking is essential, but not at work.

To the testing:

There are no desktop icons for drives. There is no automount in 005, therefore used Pmount to do the testing.

In Saluki Pmount starts Thunar when a drive is successfully mounted (*) and does not close Thunar when unmounting. Whether this behaviour is wanted, I am not sure, but this is how it is.

Pmount does not "update" when changes happen/are made, but completely disappears and redraws (or restarts). Whether this is intended behaviour or not ???

No problems:
1/ Internal IDE drive, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 partitions mount , unmount, have access (read/write), and launch Thunar correct.
2/ USB flash (128Mbyte), mount, unmount, access, and Thunar OK
3/ Internal Floppy drive (1.44Mbyte), mount, unmount, access, Thunar OK initially (read further)
4/ USB flash (4GByte) in USB2.0 USB port, mount, unmount, access, Thunar = OK
5/ USB card reader with 1Gbyte SD card in USB2.0 port: mount, unmount, access, Thunar = OK
6/ USB connection to a Blackberry: mount, unmount, access, Thunar OK
7/ IDE DVD R/W with Saluki ISO on CD: mount, unmount,access, Thunar OK.

Problems:
8/ USB flash (4GByte) in USB1.1 port, mount, unmount, access= OK, but Thunar fails to autolaunch (popup). Manual launch Thunar is OK. After this failure, Pmount returns to the floppy tab (not the USB tab) and the floppy drive tab in Pmount shows a floppy is inserted with label "b2e2fd.........9c4f" some sort of CRC. But the drive has no disk. The drive is not mounted.
9/ USB harddisk (160G) in USB2.0 port, mount, unmount, access= OK, but Thunar fails to autolaunch (popup). Manual launch Thunar is OK. Same problem with floppy label.

When Thunar fails to launch from Pmount once, it will fail to launch consistently at all drives/partitions until Saluki is restarted. But manual launch of Thunar works without restarting.

Not tested:
SATA HDD (this PC has no SATA).
USB FDD (don't have)
ZIP drives (don't have).

I estimate the observed problems are caused by Pmount starting Thunar before the mount action is completed. Only seen on USB drives.
I have no clue about the label that appears in the floppy drive tab of Pmount at this failure.

Finally: Pmount "preferences" button does not work.

If you need more debug info, send instructions.

Volhout
Last edited by Volhout on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:24, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#497 Post by Lobster »

could 'puppy pfix=ram silent' be added to boot up options?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Billtoo

Re: Saluki

#498 Post by Billtoo »

Geoffrey wrote:
Billtoo wrote:01micko's tempicon-0.04.pet and lm_sensors-3.1.2.pet work.
There is one builtin, no need for another, also shows motherboard temp and voltages, there isn't much thats needed to add to xfce, has a lot of features.
Found it, thanks

EDIT: turned on some more stuff :)
Attachments
image-4.png
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
image-3.png
(5.08 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#499 Post by Sage »

vide supra:
- confirm that gray's Racy NOP has the Applications/Setup/Setup Puppy/Xfce 4 Settings Manager/File Manager/Behaviour ...tab with the single click option.
As per all regular Xfce systems, it works on everything except the displayed desktop icons, which is a known feature of the genre.

Pelo

ne reconnait pas le clavier français

#500 Post by Pelo »

Le clavier continue en QWERTY malgré le redémarrage de X.
Problème aussi de mot de passe de réseau WIFI.
Je laisse tomber. Il buggue dès le départ et il est moins bien que beaucoup d'autres Puppies.
Sans rancune.
Attachments
samsung.jpg
Puppy running samsung
(31.72 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.