Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#441 Post by jemimah »

technosaurus wrote:It would be nice if unionfs or aufs could handle it... See thread in programming on handling whiteouts. It does slow down the install process if each file is checked.
You wouldn't have whiteouts if you removed them directly from the rw branch. We already install this way.

jemimah

#442 Post by jemimah »

Aitch wrote:
Actually it brings up a point that I have tried to address in my sfs linker - if a file exists when a package is installed, the package file will overwrite it and if it is uninstalled....breakage.
Surely this is a package management issue, the same as dependencies?
Shouldn't the package manager write .bak files, to be re-installed at removal of a dupe file, or marked/flagged for non-removal if the same version?
Dependencies is still an issue, IMHO, depending if a package is installed w/o ppm, or also, I think, frugal vs full?

Aitch :)
Of course, but this is a giant pain and requires a fair amount of testing.

technosaurus

#443 Post by technosaurus »

Debian has it mostly right by splitting each library into its own package. This allows you to use objdump -x <binary> ¦ grep NEEDED to get actual the library dependencies (ldd doesn't)
If we use a temp install directory(extra resources), cp can make backups... So only uninstall would be slow (you'd need to check each file 1st). Not to mention some people wouldn't want the backups taking space ... Remastering would need to do a bunch of garbage too.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

MoebusNet

#444 Post by MoebusNet »

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 004

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth "Display"

#glxgears
Running synchronized to vertical refresh. The framerate should be approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.285 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.957 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.959 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.955 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.956 FPS

Typed by hand - never have found a good way to copy/paste urvxt/forum.

Manual-frugal install to ext4 USB flash drive using Grub4Dos. Audio worked on initial & puppy-save boots (barked), SNS set up WLAN correctly but did not retain settings when booting from puppy-save file. Midori 0.4.3 installed from thread pet link after installing the 2 recommended dependency pets; posting from Midori. Early ENE SD card reader for this netbook doesn't work; may be the kernel module since it works L5.28.4 & S5.3.1.

Great job Jemimah & everyone!

Hardware in signature:
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

Geoffrey

Re: Report

#445 Post by Geoffrey »

MoebusNet wrote:
Just highlight the text in the terminal and use the middle mouse button to paste into a text editor, works for me , not sure with a laptop though, may have to set it up to emulate a middle button
Geoffrey

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#446 Post by Lobster »

emulate a middle button
emulate scroll wheel/middle button by simultaneous click of both buttons
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Geoffrey

#447 Post by Geoffrey »

I've tried a number of times to create a usb booted version, everything works up until I create a save then it breaks the package manager, I can't install pet's it just copies the pet package to root and if I run that it makes a temp of it and does no more, it also won't download from the repositories, just gives an error that the file can't be found and locks up, to restart x have to alt ctrl backspace, I was doing a lot of the addons such as xfce but kept having this problem, so to make sure that it wasn't something I had done I only set the local then made a save, but still the same problem, I've checked the md5 on luki-004.iso, that is fine, is anyone else having any trouble with a usb bootable version, what can I do to get a list of the errors so someone can see where the problem lays. :?

Geoffrey

Edit: I booted from a dvd and made a save on the HD, this works ok, copied the save file to the usb and booted it, it seems to work ok but still has a small problem unmounting drives, if I mount a partition and install a pet package from it, it don't show a confirmation, well not right away, as I was typing this one popped up from a install I did 5 minutes previously, until this happens I can't unmount the drive, I'll have to try another save without xfce installed to check if it still does this.

jemimah

#448 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
MoebusNet wrote:
Just highlight the text in the terminal and use the middle mouse button to paste into a text editor, works for me , not sure with a laptop though, may have to set it up to emulate a middle button
Geoffrey
Or just install lxterminal.
http://smokey01.com/jemimah/saluki/pets ... 2-i486.pet

MoebusNet

#449 Post by MoebusNet »

jemimah wrote:
Or just install lxterminal.
http://smokey01.com/jemimah/saluki/pets ... 2-i486.pet
lxterminal sounds like a good solution; is that a good link? Midori opens a new tab but never opens the web page or attempts a download - I'll have to try to get the pet some other way.

EDIT: Link was good but had to d/l with Firefox; Midori wasn't saving the pet anywhere i could find. Minor issues - Browse icon does not select or open Midori icon as default browser, lxterminal installs from pet but does not show up in Menu>Utilities (or anywhere in Menu). lxterminal does run from urxvt by typing #lxterminal (bit redundant, that).
Last edited by MoebusNet on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

mikeslr

xfwm4 won't restart to desktop

#450 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jemimah & all,

Amd Phenom II X4 945 with ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics, but running with luki's built in driver. I installed dbus & dbus-glib pets, then xfce & xfce-extra themes pets. Exited to prompt and typed "xwin xfwm4" and pressed return. Remained without windows manager. Tried again, this time first running xorgwizard. Still remained without windows manager. Typed xwin jwm to return to desktop and checked dependencies. None were missing. I'll reboot to see if that was needed.

Rebooting did the trick.(':)')

By the bye, Happy New Year.

mikesLr

MoebusNet

trying out lxterminal copy/paste

#451 Post by MoebusNet »

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 004

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.040 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.958 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.956 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.958 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.957 FPS
#

Woohoo! Lxterminal copy/paste to forum saves typing - thanks!

EDIT: Installed deadbeef 0.4.4-i386 from PPM, runs & playing from Shoutcast website. Message saying libavcodec.so.52, libavformat.so.52 & libavutil.so.50 are missing, but so far so good.

futwerk

#452 Post by futwerk »

saluki backgrounds.
Attachments
pupdc24,1d.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(47.48 KiB) Downloaded 1453 times
pupdc24,1c.png
(54.78 KiB) Downloaded 1458 times
pupdc24,1b.png
(54.24 KiB) Downloaded 1414 times

l2ulinux

Saluki

#453 Post by l2ulinux »

futwerk this last three are fine with color picks. Please keep up the good work.

MoebusNet

lxterminal

#454 Post by MoebusNet »

lxterminal installs from pet but does not show up in Menu>Utilities (or anywhere in Menu). lxterminal does run from urxvt by typing #lxterminal
lxterminal installed but did not show up in PPM. Updated PPM, installed (again) lxterminal but this time through PPM. Menu>Utilities entry shows up (twice!) and shows as installed in PPM.
BTW,deadbeef is up to 0.5.1 on Sourceforge now.

Geoffrey

Re: lxterminal

#455 Post by Geoffrey »

MoebusNet wrote:
lxterminal installs from pet but does not show up in Menu>Utilities (or anywhere in Menu). lxterminal does run from urxvt by typing #lxterminal
lxterminal installed but did not show up in PPM. Updated PPM, installed (again) lxterminal but this time through PPM. Menu>Utilities entry shows up (twice!) and shows as installed in PPM.
BTW,deadbeef is up to 0.5.1 on Sourceforge now.
Are you running from a usb flash drive, if you are I have been having trouble with the package manager with a usb install, still haven't worked out what the problem is :?

Geoffrey

jemimah

#456 Post by jemimah »

Xfce Saluki is starting to come together. I'm working out the small details now.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(118.75 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times

Geoffrey

#457 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:Xfce Saluki is starting to come together. I'm working out the small details now.
Looking good, is that a full xfce desktop instead of the pinboard, if so cool, I prefer a proper desktop, I still seem to have problems with a usb install and petget, it can be hit and miss installing, mainly miss's and lockups, works fine from cd, runs smoothly on usb as long as I don't install anything, I'll reword that, try to install.

pemasu

#458 Post by pemasu »

Shinobars PPM (petget) folder fixes might help with pupmode=13 ie usb boot situatiations. It changes the way how to save installed applications in pupmode=13.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829

Geoffrey

#459 Post by Geoffrey »

pemasu wrote:Shinobars PPM (petget) folder fixes might help with pupmode=13 ie usb boot situatiations. It changes the way how to save installed applications in pupmode=13.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829
pemasu, thanks for the link, that seems to have fixed the problem, though I will need to test it a bit more just to be sure there is no other problems, but it is looking good, jemimah's next release may have this fixed and it's looking great, I can't wait to try it, thanks again.

Geoffrey

edit: installing this fix removes the package manager from control panel.
edit: package manager is there under the system tab, I think it was under Software before the fix, I might be wrong, usually I am :roll:
Last edited by Geoffrey on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Saluki

#460 Post by Billtoo »

I made a deadbeef-0.5.1-i686.sfs

The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a4737c6a.html
Attachments
dbscrn.jpg
(168.72 KiB) Downloaded 1184 times