Puppy file consolidation for a version in one location

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
8-bit

Puppy file consolidation for a version in one location

#1 Post by 8-bit »

Currently with any version of Puppy one goes to download, a site is provided to download it from.
What I would like to see that I think would improve things like old and new users of asking where to get the devx and kernel source files could be taken care of with one simple change.

All that would be required is to add the devx.sfs and kernel_source.sfs files to the directory containing the ISO.
Of course, md5sum files should be made for all the files in the download directory for each Puppy version.

Is it too much to ask for this simple change since a build of Puppy uses a specific kernel so why not include the kernel source file and save a lot of searching and asking where to acquire it.

It would be a good improvement in the repositories for Puppy versions.

Don't you think so?

TheAsterisk!

#2 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Yes, that would be a better arrangement, though I seem to remember the devx being made available like that before, if not the kernel source. (EDIT: Yes, for 5-series the devx are in the same directories as their iso images.) Otherwise, another subdirectory in the same place as releases' subdirectories in concert with a little HTML page or text file explaining which SFS to use with which Puppy would be better, too. (EDIT: Puppy 3 and 4- excepting 43x- did this, minus the HTML page.) Heck, even just a link to the ISO, the devx and the kernel source through one quick-n-dirty HTML page would be an improvement, just to get all the information in one place.

Having to hunt down the sources on Barry's site, behind a password, or find them on a developers' site (as I had to do for Lucid) is awful and tedious to the uninitiated. It's easy once you've done it and know where to go, yes, but until you've done it you feel utterly lost.

Having those SFS modules available for download via Quickpet/Slickpet is better than nothing, but I'd really like to see them mentioned and made available in conjunction with the main ISO.