fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm
bogomips : 3191.89
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

I can use Chromium on that one. So have them moved to an even later one then? I think 13 was the lastest number on Chromium I tested.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rezolt

hmmmm

#922 Post by rezolt »

sage: if you live in a third country world and your a part of the urban citizen who's pocket is not enough to fund such experimentation as you are boasting... there is no such thing as e-bay in my hometown, only few has enjoy the limited amount of the promise of the future here and I am one of them. What I mean as out of stock in the market is the only available resource in my place and if go around further, it is not advisable for a low compensator like me. I tried to do some bios upgrade but end up having a dead motherboard and because of a luck of funding I was forced to wait until my cups is full. What I am trying to emphasize on my first letter is only a response from what I have already read from this same site. Even though Puppy is a very versatile OS it still contain some drawbacks compared to Ubuntu, Mint and other Linux variation. I can say is that Puppy is still in its experimental stage in a sense that I can't boast it 100%. Maybe because I only have 191 MB of ram and I have a very old working system. BTW I have make a frugal install to my HDD and my beta testing seems to be improving. If you don't mind can you please help me find a way how can I adjust the amount of swap file that is created when I make a frugal install to my HDD? It only creates a 200 MD .swp file maybe if I could recreate a 500 MB swap I could run faster application to our Puppy.

Thanx and a happy new year to you and to all

rezolt

Smart Boot Manager

#923 Post by rezolt »

Hello Guyz, I want to share another experience here. Its about Smart Boot Manager. I am tired of using Puppy to usb because of slowness so I have decided to install it in my hard disk using frugal mode. I have used the grub4dos package so that I can multi-boot my system. After I have successfully use grub4dos I have problem how to boot it the way I am expecting a multi-boot system would boot... I was unable to multi-boot it. I used PloP Boot Manager but unsuccessful. Now I tried Smart Boot Manager and save the setting then it worked. I can now use Puppy installed in my hard disk. God I'm happy. Cheerz!!!

turboscrew

#924 Post by turboscrew »

Bigpup and nooby: I'll check next time I can access that darn machine.

At the moment we have guests staying in the room that the machine is in, and I'll probably have no chance getting my hands on it until next year (2.1.2012) :lol:

Since the guests include two small children, there will probably be someone, whose sleep must not be disturbed, sleeping in the room at pretty much all times. :)

Aitch

#925 Post by Aitch »

rezolt

Make a linux swap partition using gparted in the menu/system
512mb should be OK, larger if your hard drive has enough space
Congrats on getting SBM to work where PLOP didn't

Good luck

Aitch :)

James C

#926 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Lucid 528.004 live pfix=ram on the Athlon XP box.Installed Chromium 16 from Quickpet.A hint, I'm posting this from SeaMonkey.
I see. I thought the illegal instruction might mean something other than libgconf. What it might mean is that Iron and Chrome 16, when they are released, might also not run on P3 and Athlon XP. I do have a P3 to test on, but I am going out of town for a few days.

Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night.
More browser fun.... :)

528.004 live pfix=ram on the Athlon XP box. As far as I can find out, my Athlon XP 2400+ is i686.
Iron 14 from Quickpet is working, posting from it now.Lets see, Chromium 16 was a no go but both Iron 14 and 15 work correctly.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 594#591594
More testing...... :lol:
Attachments
Lucid 528.004 Iron 14.png
(157.11 KiB) Downloaded 1211 times

James C

#927 Post by James C »

From the SRWare Iron forum......

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 8bc#p10848
Bhaal wrote:
The new version, as some of older ones, says me "Illegal instrucción" and I have to jump these versions. Where can I redownload the version 14.x?
SRWare replied...
will be fixed soon with 15.0.900.2 http://www.srware.net/downloads/old/iro ... 0_0.tar.gz
Evidently they are aware of the problems.....

James C

#928 Post by James C »

Made my own pet of Iron 16......
Attachments
lucid528.004 Iron 16.0.950.0.png
(40.55 KiB) Downloaded 1151 times

svgt

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 version 004 does not shut down

#929 Post by svgt »

Hello,

I use this newest Lupu on an old Intel laptop. If a choose the normal shutdown with power-off, then Gui disappears, the message <Lucid is now shutting down> appears. But following is a login command and the Gui is again on the display. The system is up as if I have initiated no shutdown.

This behavior is not certain. Sometimes the systems shuts down normally.

Regards
Svgt

kevin bowers

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 version 004 does not shut down

#930 Post by kevin bowers »

svgt wrote:Hello,

I use this newest Lupu on an old Intel laptop. If a choose the normal shutdown with power-off, then Gui disappears, the message <Lucid is now shutting down> appears. But following is a login command and the Gui is again on the display. The system is up as if I have initiated no shutdown.

This behavior is not certain. Sometimes the systems shuts down normally.

Regards
Svgt
svgt: Puppy will do this if the partition it is installed in is mounted when shutting down. Try unmounting that partition then shutting down.

James C

#932 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Lucid 528.004 live pfix=ram on the Athlon XP box.Installed Chromium 16 from Quickpet.A hint, I'm posting this from SeaMonkey.
I see. I thought the illegal instruction might mean something other than libgconf. What it might mean is that Iron and Chrome 16, when they are released, might also not run on P3 and Athlon XP. I do have a P3 to test on, but I am going out of town for a few days.
I know Iron 16 will run on this Athlon XP box cause I made my own pet..... :lol:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 523#592523

James C

#933 Post by James C »

And Chromium 15 works too......
Attachments
Chromium 15.png
(51.83 KiB) Downloaded 1737 times

turboscrew

#934 Post by turboscrew »

turboscrew wrote:Bigpup and nooby: I'll check next time I can access that darn machine.

At the moment we have guests staying in the room that the machine is in, and I'll probably have no chance getting my hands on it until next year (2.1.2012) :lol:

Since the guests include two small children, there will probably be someone, whose sleep must not be disturbed, sleeping in the room at pretty much all times. :)
Managed...

Code: Select all

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) XP
stepping	: 0
cpu MHz		: 1150.247
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips	: 2300.49
clflush size	: 32
cache_alignment	: 32
address sizes	: 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts
So, at least sse2 and sse3 instruction set extensions are not there.
(Compared to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=920.)

sheldonisaac

Re: Link to IU4 is broken!

#935 Post by sheldonisaac »

kevin bowers wrote:I finally got around to trying to download and install Instant Update 004, but the link to it on the first page of this thread took me to Instant Update 002! Am I the first to try the IU link? Or did everybody else forget to procrastinate, just immediately use the link in the body of the thread somewhere around page 50? I'll look for it and try it.

Edit: I did not find a link to IU004 anywhere, only to 528.004.iso. Not in this thread, not on ibiblio or nluug. Only the broken link on the first page. Please help!
May I too ask for help on this?

Thanks much.

Sheldon

RSH

#936 Post by RSH »

I have read somewhere in this forum, that the file is just forgotten to rename. It is update 004. I am sure.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

shinobar

PPM (petget-20111230)

#937 Post by shinobar »

rerwin wrote:- The key factor is that the first "save" of each session saves everything in the top (RAM file system) layer to the "save layer" on a flash drive. Subsequent "saves" write only the files with timestamps later than those of the already saved files.
- Installation of packages places the new files directly into the save layer and sets their timestamps to the current time, leaving any older versions intact in the top layer, so the operational system may be a mix of old and new files for the remainder of the session!
- Uninstallation of packages copies the original "pup layer" versions of files to the top layer, replacing the package versions, but leaves in place the package files in the "save layer". The set of files in operation is all old/original files.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 472#588472

Found a solution(removepreview.sh):

Code: Select all

cp -a --remove-destination "$S" "$ONESPEC"
     rm -f "/initrd/pup_rw$ONESPEC" # clean up RAM layer
Uploaded petget-20111230.pet. Note this is experimental.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

playdayz

#938 Post by playdayz »

I finally got around to trying to download and install Instant Update 004, but the link to it on the first page of this thread took me to Instant Update 002! Am I the first to try the IU link? Or did everybody else forget to procrastinate, just immediately use the link in the body of the thread somewhere around page 50? I'll look for it and try it.

Edit: I did not find a link to IU004 anywhere, only to 528.004.iso. Not in this thread, not on ibiblio or nluug. Only the broken link on the first page. Please help!
kevin bowers and sheldonisaac. My mistake. The server was being "helpful." I checked that it was downloading but not that it was downloading the right thing! Then I went on vacation. It should work now but you might have to clear browsing data.

sheldonisaac

nstant Update 004

#939 Post by sheldonisaac »

(SOME SNIPPAGE)
playdayz wrote:
kevin bowers and sheldonisaac. My mistake. The server was being "helpful." I checked that it was downloading but not that it was downloading the right thing! Then I went on vacation. It should work now but you might have to clear browsing data.
Thank you, playdayz.

I'll do the update tomorrow; my newer (2004) computer has, as I recall,
5.2.8 with the 002 update

Sheldon

kevin bowers

#940 Post by kevin bowers »

IU004 downloaded like a charm. Now to find the intestinal fortitude to apply it! Thanks!