Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#401 Post by James C »

jemimah wrote:I've updated midori.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73799
New Midori is working well so far in some light testing.

jemimah

#402 Post by jemimah »

technosaurus wrote:I am kinda working on a side project that will run the boot process in X (X will start in <1s, so its not that a big deal to push the init process into it) ... hopefully it can work with Saluki - I already tested against its kernel
I did have a couple of questions about the default Xvesa settings
1. for older 586+ PCs and newer tablets/netbooks is 800x600 supported universally?
2. does defaulting to 16bit color mess with any newer boxes?
Note: this is just for a bootstrap X, the user can either stay in it, if they need lower resource usage (<3Mb) or run the Xorg wizard after "init" is finished
GMA500 video and xvesa don't play nice at all but it might be ok for just booting - not that GMA500 plays nice with anything. ;)

The highest rez on a 7inch eee is 800x480 - but I think the saluki kernel/xorg is too new for the old eees anyway.

I'm definitely interested in testing this out.

Billtoo

Saluki

#403 Post by Billtoo »

I burned the iso to a DVD+R
So far I've just installed firefox-3.6.25-i686.pet and
report-video-glx-0.6.pet, mtpaint from ppm

Thu 29 Dec 2011 Operating System: Saluki-004 Linux 2.6.39-ski
0.0 VGA compatible controller:nVidia Corporation GF108[GeForce GT 430](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: # vesa
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (382x302 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Core 0: 2699 1: 2699 2: 2699 3: 2699 4: 2699 5: 2699 MHz

# glxgears
2812 frames in 5.0 seconds = 562.227 FPS
2805 frames in 5.0 seconds = 560.885 FPS
2804 frames in 5.0 seconds = 560.683 FPS

technosaurus

#404 Post by technosaurus »

jemimah wrote:GMA500 video and xvesa don't play nice at all but it might be ok for just booting - not that GMA500 plays nice with anything. ;)

The highest rez on a 7inch eee is 800x480 - but I think the saluki kernel/xorg is too new for the old eees anyway.
Well damn, 640x480 makes it difficult to do much. I have been testing with the 2.6.32.50 kernel and have Xvesa+jwm+rxvt loading up in ~1s and only using ~3mb of RAM with them all running... Or with a basic set of gtk tools for another 1mb or so (uses <12mb RAM with dillo,mp,rox,mtpaint&xdialog all running). With the gtk1 apps, more config options are available VIA xdialog, but if you prefer the smaller x only version, I can hack a basic configure setup using jwm menus (yes it sounds odd, but try jwm_install_menu_create from my jwm tools to get an idea what jwm _can_ do). One extra advantage to using gtk1 would be its utility on older boxes (in which case, I am probably already using the appropriate kernel)... Just copy them over before switchroot if RAM <64mb
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jemimah

#405 Post by jemimah »

I've adjusted various scripts to make Puppy mount drives by label (if there is one) instead of device name. This is rather handy because each drive will always get the same mount point and it's easier to tell which drive is which.

Let me know if I've broken anything.

Test this pet on a save file you don't care about since uninstalling it will break things.

After installing the pet, run Puppy Event Manager and check the box that tells it to redraw the icons. Then restart x.

I've also attached the patches in case someone wants to implement this on a system that is not a recent woof build.
Attachments
drive-labels-patches.tar.gz
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
drive-labels-0.1.pet
(20.7 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
drives.jpg
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 1170 times

jemimah

#406 Post by jemimah »

technosaurus wrote:
jemimah wrote:GMA500 video and xvesa don't play nice at all but it might be ok for just booting - not that GMA500 plays nice with anything. ;)

Well damn, 640x480 makes it difficult to do much. I have been testing with the 2.6.32.50 kernel and have Xvesa+jwm+rxvt loading up in ~1s and only using ~3mb of RAM with them all running... Or with a basic set of gtk tools for another 1mb or so (uses <12mb RAM with dillo,mp,rox,mtpaint&xdialog all running). With the gtk1 apps, more config options are available VIA xdialog, but if you prefer the smaller x only version, I can hack a basic configure setup using jwm menus (yes it sounds odd, but try jwm_install_menu_create from my jwm tools to get an idea what jwm _can_ do). One extra advantage to using gtk1 would be its utility on older boxes (in which case, I am probably already using the appropriate kernel)... Just copy them over before switchroot if RAM <64mb
What type of things would you configure before the switch root? Or is this more of a new way to have nice graphics during bootup?

Maybe something like if the xorg auto config isn't working, you could hit a hotkey during boot to get manual configuration.

Sage

#407 Post by Sage »

There have been problems. No sound, no retrovol, ALSA not working - CMI 9739A chip must be just about the peak of ubiquity?
Had to manually install network connection.
Many menu entries not working, no installed browser found, not even Dillo?
Loadsa packages not found on ibiblio nor nluug. The Flashplayer is the wrong one for Opera 11.6 (old problem with FPs). Failed to install Midori by any method.
Got the bent version of sr0 unmount - Mickey Mouse getting the CD outa da slot.
The no-SiS video is going to be a show-stopper for many folks, although no issues with ATI card for me.
The opening screen needs changing - it's not Puppy 0.0.4 ! [Confusing for folks who don't label all their CDs.]
Not sure I like the control panel in this context?
The installed version of sysinfo has been with Puppy for a long time, but is entirely inappropriate for new/testing purposes - esp. as it doesn't show the sound chip! A better one is SystemInfo v0.6.3 - others are available.

tlchost

#408 Post by tlchost »

Cups can not find printer drivers other than brother

Aitch

#409 Post by Aitch »

I'm copying this here from the wish list thread, as it raises a good option point for Saluki browser mod, maybe...? ...plus I think it a good idea :wink:
MoebusNet wrote:I believe an incredibly useful browser for Puppy would be modeled on the mobile browsers currently running on Android. It would primarily utilize mobile websites rather than traditional websites, making it more useful for low-bandwidth locations.

Rationale: Travel for 1 hour outside of any American city on its Interstate Highway, get off of the Interstate and turn at right angles to it, then travel for 20 miles. You are now in a "no-broadband available area" (unless you have re-entered another city). The only available Internet connection will be dial-up or cellular at dial-up speeds. There may be exceptions to this rule along the immediate East and West Coasts of the U.S., but you get the idea. Vast swaths of areas with 1960's fax-machine connection speeds.

By utilizing mobile websites, much of the content-strangling advertising that makes traditional websites unusable in low-bandwidth areas could be avoided. "What about pop-up blockers and anti-advertising software?", I hear you say. Many of the traditional websites are purposely designed to be inoperative unless you enable their advertising content, which prevents you from loading the content you are interested in. The content you are interested in is always last to load, and if the advertising can't load because of low connection speed you never see your desired content.

Mobile browsers have already addressed these concerns and so would be a useful Puppy addition for low-bandwidth users.
I'm not intending to make work for you wonderful people, but, it might otherwise have been lost/unnoticed, thanks

Aitch :)

yr1945

general feedback

#410 Post by yr1945 »

i have been using Saluki 004 since last evening when it was posted...

as far as i can see, everything works quite well, and with the understanding that this is an early build, i can understand the lack of printer drivers, etc...

based on my usage of an OS, i really have not run into any problems... in fact i really, really, like the direction Saluki is moving towards... eg, suspend capibility, sven and in the next release, hopefully, frisbee...

so far i have been able to add all the apps that i need...

i would also like to say that i like the new control panel concept, please don't change it...

i wish i could offer more feedback, but with my limited technical knowledge... everything is exceeding my expectations...

Jemimah, Tman and others involved... THANKS very much for your long hours and hard work. Saluki will be a real winner...

jemimah

#411 Post by jemimah »

I've been testing xfce and I have to say this version 4.8.0 seems rock solid and really polished. I'm strongly considering dumping rox/jwm and making this an xfce puplet.

Bert

#412 Post by Bert »

xfce...

eXcitingly Fast Community Edition..

ha, I'm beginning to understand all those abbreviations! :D
Last edited by Bert on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

aragon

#413 Post by aragon »

jemimah wrote:I've been testing xfce and I have to say this version 4.8.0 seems rock solid and really polished. I'm strongly considering dumping rox/jwm and making this an xfce puplet.
interesting, grey said the following in his actual nop-thread
Note I tried XFCE4.8.3 but had lots of issues - especially with the new Thunar and gvfs dependency hell. Still not mature enough for any real use.
aragon

Billtoo

Saluki

#414 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to an 8gb flash drive which is running
on my emachines D620 laptop.
I installed several pets and a large sfs file.
I set up the wireless connection with sns but it didn't stick after a
reboot, I switched to the network wizard and the settings are now
persistent.
Fri 30 Dec 2011 Operating System: Saluki-004 Linux 2.6.39-ski
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M[RadeonX1200Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS690 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: # vesa
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3

AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Core 0: 1596 MHz

# glxgears
724 frames in 5.0 seconds = 144.785 FPS
710 frames in 5.0 seconds = 141.879 FPS
725 frames in 5.0 seconds = 144.942 FPS

It's working well.
Attachments
lukiscrn.jpg
(149.18 KiB) Downloaded 899 times

jemimah

#415 Post by jemimah »

aragon wrote:
jemimah wrote:I've been testing xfce and I have to say this version 4.8.0 seems rock solid and really polished. I'm strongly considering dumping rox/jwm and making this an xfce puplet.
interesting, grey said the following in his actual nop-thread
Note I tried XFCE4.8.3 but had lots of issues - especially with the new Thunar and gvfs dependency hell. Still not mature enough for any real use.
aragon
I'm testing the thunar without gvfs at the moment - there are two versions. Seems ok to me - but I haven't played with it a lot yet.

In any case the window manager and panel are great. We can run them with rox instead of thunar if necessary.

mavrothal

#416 Post by mavrothal »

I always liked XFCE. Though, will all the bells and whistles is considerably heavier than ROX/JWM, and without them, not much better. But with Saluki targeting newer hardware (with at least 512MB RAM) is probably a good idea.

Any thoughts on revisiting Xorg 7.6? T2 8.0 that Racy/Saluki is build on, uses 1.8.2 and would appear that the 1.7.6 Racy/Saluki build has some issues. Besides the sis driver also fails to work with the XO-1.5 keyboard/touchpad (where all other 7.5/7.6 puppies work fine). In adition 7.6 is already almost 2-years old and most distros using it, EOL
Assuming more extending use/testing is conceivable that other issues will crop up, so I would think that might be better before too far with other user-space changes.

Happy New Year to all
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#417 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:
I'm testing the thunar without gvfs at the moment - there are two versions. Seems ok to me - but I haven't played with it a lot yet.

In any case the window manager and panel are great. We can run them with rox instead of thunar if necessary.
Ok that's not quite right. But It will work without gvfs.

So far I've managed to get a gvfs trash can, but it doesn't show mounted volumes. I think it needs gnome-disk-utility (or HAL) for that which has more deps than I'm comfortable with. I'm pretty sure I can rig something up for volumes though.

Personally I think as a DE is it hugely more user friendly and nice than ROX/jwm.

technosaurus

#418 Post by technosaurus »

if you get fed up with Thunar, there is always xffm:
http://xffm.org/
Followup: RE: What's happening

SSHFS plugin is almost complete. With this the FUSE plugin design is near completion and FTPFS, OBEXFS, SFTPFS and SMBFS will be available. All this without GVFS and all the dependencies this involves. As soon as the complete FUSE plugin has been completed and tested, 4.8.0 release will follow. Before that, I will cook up a gentoo ebuild for 4.7.4 and submit as bug report. For 4.8.0...
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#419 Post by Lobster »

With this the FUSE plugin design is near completion and FTPFS, OBEXFS, SFTPFS and SMBFS will be available
Interlude . . .
Prince George: Ah, Dr. Johnson, damn cold day!
Dr. Samuel Johnson: Indeed it is sir - but a very fine one, for I celebrated last night the encyclopedic implementation of my pre-meditated orchestration of demotic Anglo-Saxon.
Prince George: Nope - didn't catch any of that.
Dr. Samuel Johnson: Well, I simply observed, sir, that I'm felicitous since during the course of the penultimate solar sojourn, I terminated my uninterrupted categorisation of the vocabulary of our post-Norman tongue.
Prince George: Well, I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds damn saucy, you lucky thing! I know some fairly liberal-minded girls, but I've never penultimated any of them in a solar sojourn, or for that matter, been given any Norman tongue.
Blackadder: I believe, sir, that the Doctor is trying to tell you that he is happy because he has finished his book. It has apparently taken him ten years.
Prince George: Well, I'm a slow reader myself.
http://youtu.be/on9U_tdRIeU

. . . Normal service is resumed
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#420 Post by James C »

Went ahead and did a manual frugal install of 004.No major problems....had to use xorgwizard to get my desired 1440x900 resolution and the Network Wizard to connect to my wired dsl.Installed a few pets...no problems.
Can't say the same for Midori though.Basic browsing works but a big no go on Youtube and attempting to download Billtoo's SeaMonkey pet caused Midori to repeatedly become unresponsive and freeze.Had to use Opera to download the pet.
Otherwise,looks like a pretty solid base.