How to activate keyboard volume controls?

Booting, installing, newbie
rmcellig

How to activate keyboard volume controls?

#1 Post by rmcellig »

In every other distro i tried, i was able to control the volume from my keyboard by just pressing the appropriate volume keys. This does not seem to work in Puppy Linux. Is there a way to use my volume keys?

saintless

#2 Post by saintless »

Try with 0 (Vol+) and 9 (Vol-).

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

I tried pressing the 0 key on the numeric keypad as well as the 9 key, and nothing happened. i also tried 9 and 0 along the top of my keyboard as well. Am I missing something?

saintless

#4 Post by saintless »

rmcellig wrote:I tried pressing the 0 key on the numeric keypad as well as the 9 key, and nothing happened. i also tried 9 and 0 along the top of my keyboard as well. Am I missing something?
I use smplayer and those keys work for the volume. What is your media player?

Just checked Mplayer. Same as smplayer. 0 and 9 for Vol (+) and (-).

DaveS

Re: Activating keyboard volume controls

#5 Post by DaveS »

rmcellig wrote:In every other distro i tried, i was able to control the volume from my keyboard by just pressing the appropriate volume keys. This does not seem to work in Puppy Linux. Is there a way to use my volume keys?
I guess you are using a laptop and I guess you are using JWM as your desktop, and I guess you are using Slacko or Lupu. Shame I have to guess :)
If so, add this code to the bottom of the hidden file /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal (open the file in a text editor such as Geany)

Code: Select all

<Key keycode="160">exec:amixer sset Master toggle</Key>
<Key keycode="176">exec:amixer sset Master 1+,1+</Key>
<Key keycode="174">exec:amixer sset Master 1-,1-</Key>
Save and exit.

Select menu>shutdown>restart JWM, and volume keys should work.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

oui

same consideration but for PrtSc

#6 Post by oui »

I have the same problem with the key PrtSc

I would like to start the script «mtpaintsnapshot.sh» if I press it...

oui

what can we do useful with the in linux free key

#7 Post by oui »

what can we do useful with the in linux free key with the «windows» sign on it?

a good thing would be

- open the full mixeur (as the volume adjustment in the bar don't works on earphone+deadbeef) or
- start a translator program (or translate.google.com in a new browser window like meebo in the puppies where meebo did can be started from the jwm menue, option what crashes now after the last changes in meebo, see line « <Program label="Meebo MSN/Yahoo/IRC chat" icon="chat16.xpm">meeboview</Program> » in .jwmrc! you have to change the url in the script /usr/local/bin/meeboview and introduce the new url « https://www.meebo.com/messenger ») or
- start Xsane or
- start / turn down recording of voice, noices or music
- start / turn down radio or tv (full or only sound)

as they can be repetitive jobs along the day with relatively high frequency depending of the kind of business...

perhaps with a script like menu.lst from grub where all this possibilities would be concerned and a «default» line would select like in menu.lst one of all selections. the user can change it according to his actual business...[/b]

DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

Oui, are you using JWM?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

oui

#9 Post by oui »

yes, of course !

DaveS

#10 Post by DaveS »

ok, here is what you need to do: first, determine what key number JWM sees you key as. To do this, just open a terminal, and type the command

xev
This will bring up a box on the screen. Next, just press the key you want to use, and watch the output in the terminal. You are looking for the key number, which will be displayed in the group of text. The number will be something like '115' (on my system this is the number for the win key.)
Once you have found the key no, you need to tell JWM what to do with it. The command is added to the bottom of /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal and the syntax should look like this:

<Key keycode="115">exec:chromium</Key>
The bit that says 'exec:chromium' is the command you want to use and can be anything from a program as here (chromium browser) to a full on script.
The lines must be added above the final </jwm> at the bottom of the file.
Once you have done your edit, save and exit, re-start jwm, and the keycode should be working.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

oui

#11 Post by oui »

thank you best!