Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#401 Post by 01micko »

bigpup

Ok, the xrandr "bug" (it is a bug! EDIT: NO, it is not a bug, some set ups do support 1368x768) is superfluous, 1368x768 resolution is not possible, it's neither supported by your card or monitor.

Interestingly, the nv driver does not support 1366x768 for your card, says so in your Xorg.0.log @line 439

Code: Select all

[    36.055] (II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1366x768" (width too large for virtual size)
However the monitor does support and use 1366x768, shown @lines 326,327

[    36.049] (II) NV(0): h_active: 1366  h_sync: 1436  h_sync_end 1579 h_blank_end 1792 h_border: 0
[    36.049] (II) NV(0): v_active: 768  v_sync: 771  v_sync_end 774 v_blanking: 798 v_border: 0
A happy combination reported by Xorg @ lines322,323

[    36.049] (II) NV(0): #0: hsize: 1280  vsize 720  refresh: 60  vid: 49281
[    36.049] (II) NV(0): #1: hsize: 1280  vsize 800  refresh: 60  vid: 129
..so going by xrandr 1280x720 should be the happiest combo for your card/monitor.

I am going to report this bug to the xrandr maintainer. It doesn't fix your issue but it will clarify things in the "firstrun" dialog for resolution. It would also be possible in the mean time to filter out any reference to "1368", so until I hear from the xrandr devs that will do. I'll post a patch soon and inform shinobar and Barry (firstrun and quicksetup maintainers).No, not doing this now.I will contact the devs and see why your's lists 1368.

On further research there are things you can do to "fix" your issue. I wouldn't expect that noobs would bother. If the problem is only that the display is shifted then that's easily fixed with your monitors hard settings, most noobs know that, especially if they have older monitors. Maybe "xvidtune" would work too. This issue is out of my hands. If this is not apparent in Lupu I'd like to know the screen res you get. If Xorg is choosing it it's self then likely it's not 1366x768, could be wrong though.

Attachment removed, it wont make a difference.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

#402 Post by bigpup »

01 micko,

Thanks for looking into this 1366X768 resolution issue.
In Lupu I use the Nvidia driver 175.14.25 and it does not have option for this resolution. I use 1280X800 and it seems to give good picture.

This could just be a normal issue with 1366X768 resolution.

I found this info about trying to get it to work.
May give you some new ideas.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1480033

This is just one of those it should work. It is a setting option. Why does it not work?

I think I will do a little playing with xvidtune and see if I can come up with a custom modeline that works.
If I look at xvidtune, the settings now, are not the same as the suggested modeline in the above info.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#403 Post by James C »

From Distrowatch today....

mawebb88

Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

#404 Post by mawebb88 »

Just did a frugal install of Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 (normal version - I have 4 GB of ram but dd not know if this was sufficient for the HIGHMEM version?))on my Acer Aspire 5100 to replace the ageing Puppy 431. in general working great. Many thanks to Mick Amadio. The only real problem I had which seems to be common to most Puppy's in my experience is getting the Internet connection to stick between re-boots. The Simple Network connection did not work so used the Network Wizard which connected but on re-boot had not stuck. So ran (just once) my own script to manually configure the WiFI and after that further reboots were always fine with the connection.

pNethood was key to me to connect to a LANDisk and after a bit of bother (had to Disable Linux Extensions) now works fine.

I like Chrome for browsing but version 17 from the repository did not allow installing any extensions. So uninstalled and installed version 16 from the repository which works fine.

Rgds Mike

bigpup

#405 Post by bigpup »

1366X768 resolution issue.
01micko wrote:If the problem is only that the display is shifted then that's easily fixed with your monitors hard settings
Normally something like this can be fixed with monitor settings, but for some reason they have no effect on problem.
You can move the desktop all over the monitor, change size, all kinds of stuff, but the problem is the same.
It is like the right edge of the desktop or window, has been cut off slightly.
Best indication is, the clock in the tray, has the last digit missing.
Change resolution, to say 1280X800, and that digit is seen.
My problem could also be trying to use old graphics hardware with a new wide screen monitor. That type monitor was not around when this Nvidia Graphics card was made.

Again thanks for looking at this again. I can be happy with 1280X800.
However, I have read posts, by others, trying Puppy, and they gave up, because they could not get this 1366X768 resolution.
All these wide faced monitors, that need all those strange, resolution settings.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

Saving Live media SLACKO session back onto booted media

#406 Post by gcmartin »

Have anyone booted from multi-session Live media, then did a save-session onto the live media? I'm running into some unexpected difficulties where I cannot get the system to save the session.

There is room, and if I simply growisofs a folder it works to the media. But, Slacko is getting crossed up.

Has anyone has success doing this with SLACKO?

Thanks, in advance, for any comments on your experieces.

01micko

#407 Post by 01micko »

bigpup,

Something you can try.

sed -i 's/no/yes/' /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
This temporarily enables boot to desktop until a reboot

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig 
This renames xorg.conf effectively removing it but backing it up to xorg.conf.orig.

Restart X. If you get a desktop please post the resolution. If not reboot, run xorgwizard and we'll consider this little experiment a fail!

01micko

Re: Saving Live media SLACKO session back onto booted media

#408 Post by 01micko »

gcmartin wrote:Have anyone booted from multi-session Live media, then did a save-session onto the live media? I'm running into some unexpected difficulties where I cannot get the system to save the session.

There is room, and if I simply growisofs a folder it works to the media. But, Slacko is getting crossed up.

Does the machine have a harddrive? I think there is a bug in woof where puppy thinks that PDEV1 is the hdd.

Try booting and ignoring the last session. I do need to look into this further.

01micko

#409 Post by 01micko »

Testing (use at own risk)

This is the very latest JWM (our default window manager) including patches to Petget (PPM) such that we get no more "the screen will flicker" messages, and in fact the screen does not flicker.

This has been a major gripe with JWM for the past couple of years and finally Joe has done something about it.

It does have a layering issue with wbar if you use it but I have put in a <Group> setting for wbar to use layer 3. It seems ok to me, please report if you get an issue with wbar.

Note that 3 files in PPM will be modified and also the jwm xdg template.

Have fun!
Attachments
jwm-update-553.pet
Install then restart X
(91.75 KiB) Downloaded 466 times

gcmartin

#410 Post by gcmartin »

01micko wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Have anyone booted from multi-session Live media, then did a save-session onto the live media? I'm running into some unexpected difficulties where I cannot get the system to save the session. ...
Does the machine have a harddrive?
Answer:
Yes! I'm using PAE SLACKO Live media on 1 PC and 2 laptops (the PC has NOT been rebooted since its startup and servers loaded from PPM.) The problems occur with Laptops as they are restarted regularly.
  1. on 1 laptop it has a 3 partition HDD with NTFS and FAT
  2. and on the other it has a USB with a 4GB SWAP and one 4GB ext3 partition
Hope this helps

bigpup

#411 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:bigpup,

Something you can try.

sed -i 's/no/yes/' /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
This temporarily enables boot to desktop until a reboot

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig 
This renames xorg.conf effectively removing it but backing it up to xorg.conf.orig.

Restart X. If you get a desktop please post the resolution. If not reboot, run xorgwizard and we'll consider this little experiment a fail!
Yes it booted to desktop.
1366X768 resolution using Vesa driver.
Still have right edge of screen cut off.

It would be nice if someone else could confirm the same problem with 1366X768 resolution.
If they can use that setting, with no right edge cutoff, it would tell us it may just be the hardware I have.

You can stop any time you want to. I am happy using 1280X800 setting.
Or is this nagging at you like it is with me. This should be a no problem.
1366X768 is a common setting for most new 19 inch wide screen monitors.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#412 Post by bigpup »

gcmartin wrote:Have anyone booted from multi-session Live media, then did a save-session onto the live media? I'm running into some unexpected difficulties where I cannot get the system to save the session.

I have done it with no problem.

Idea:
Any chance you have a save file, anyplace on the computer, that is being used by the booted multi-session live Slacko?
The first time I boot with live multi-session disc.
I always boot with option puppy pfix=ram, make the first save file, to disc, before adding anything and reboot.
That way everything knows that is where I am saving.
After there is a save on the disc, it should not look anyplace else, for a save file, when booting.
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#413 Post by 01micko »

bigpup,

I have 3 1366x768 res monitors, 2 are on lappies, (1 a HP, 1 a macbook, 1an asus external) and all are perfect with Slacko and Lupu, even the old intel brookdale graphics chip with the reasonably new asus 17" widescreen .That monitor has been hooked up to 3 radeons, 2 nvidias and an SiS, all without issue. 1 of my nvidias does shift left as said before but easily corrected. So I think your case is very specific, yet still annoys! Maybe a specific modeline specifying 1368x768 would be the go. It's obviously not using that at all so I believe that's where your edge has gone.

bigpup

#414 Post by bigpup »

01micko,

You would think 47 (us dollars) would buy you a decent 19" monitor. :lol: :shock:
Maybe I now know why they dumped them for such a low price. :wink:
I would say we have determined Slacko is not the problem.
I will play with modelines and see if I can blow this thing up. I always wanted to see if xvidtune would really do that, as all the warnings say. :twisted:

Thanks for putting up with this!! :)
YaPI(any iso installer)

don570

Audacity for slacko

#415 Post by don570 »

Audacity for slacko

I was able to get the latest stable version of audacity
to work in Slacko

I took the Lucid Puppy version and added libsamplerate
and jack
Available:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e7422553.html

01micko

#416 Post by 01micko »

Thanks don570

_

bigpup

A shot in the dark here.

Try this: Back up /usr/sbin/xorgwizard. Open /usr/sbin/xorgwizard in geany an search for all 1366 entries and edit to 1368. Record what lines you edit. Run xorgwizard and see if that res sticks. Worst that will happen is X don't start, in which case open /usr/sbin/xorgwizard at the command line in minimum profit text editor

mp /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
and restore 1366 at the lines you recorded. Ctrl-S saves the file, Ctrl-Q quits MP, then run xorgwizard. Or just restore the backup!

mavrothal

#417 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: Open /usr/sbin/xorgwizard in geany an search for all 1366 entries and edit to 1368. Record what lines you edit.
eg

mv  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard.old
sed 's/1366/1368/g' /usr/sbin/xorgwizard.old >  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
diff -u  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard.old /usr/sbin/xorgwizard > ~/1368.diff
Note that in lupu/luci the file is the xorg-setup not xorgwizard and the default resolution 1360 not 1366
(I'm doing something like it for XO puppies :) There are no "unrelated" 136X entries in xorgwizard/-setup)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sylvander

#418 Post by Sylvander »

HELP!
I've messed up my display of icons on the desktop for partitions on drives.

1. When I closed the drawer of the optical drive with a Puppy disk in it...
It was auto-mounting the filesystem.
So...

2. [Doubt if] I went to "Menu->System->Puppy Event Manager->Desktop Icons", and unticked "Tick box for drive icons on desktop".
I think I may have configured that partitions should not be auto-mounted when plugged in.
Nor programs be auto run.
All the partition icons disappeared from the desktop, and in there place was a single icon for "drives".
NOT WHAT I WANT!

3. Tried re-ticking the box in 2 above, plus "Tick box for an icon for each partition", but it makes no difference, and the ticks are gone next time I go there.

4. Any idea how to fix this?

5. Also...
The "Save" icon on the desktop no longer works! :(
Worked OK before.
Now when I click it, the yellow "NOTICE:..." comes up, but no save notification, and no increase in %CPU usage.

Jasper

#419 Post by Jasper »

Hi Sylvander,

Can you not restore, using copy and paste via another Puppy?

My regards

Sylvander

#420 Post by Sylvander »

Hmmm...
Possibly.

1. The only backup I have of a Slacko save file was made way back on the 25th of October 2001 for version 5.2.97-k2.6.37.6-smp...
Whereas right now I'm running Slacko-5.3.1-MAIN-ataflash.iso .

2. Would that old slackosave.3fs file update OK using this CD?
I might lose stuff I've changed since then.
Is there no easier fix that doesn't involve such risk and possible loss?

3. I notice that no auto-save is taking place at shut-down/reboot.
So no changes whatever are being saved! :(
That's not good!