Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tubeguy

long shutdown time with network shares mounted

#341 Post by tubeguy »

Been using Exprimo as my daily driver and it's excellent. However it takes about 5 minutes to shutdown or reboot while I have a network share mounted.

Frugal 5.X.10.2 SMP on a 2.4 gig, 1meg ram HP box, wired ethernet. I have PupServer running on an old laptop. I run pnethood to discover the share and connect. If I do a shutdown or reboot I see the "Dpup Exprimo SMP is now shutting down" message for about 5 minutes, then everything proceeds normally. If I first re-run pnethood and disconnect the share there is no wait to shut down but of course I still have to wait for pnethood to do its thing. Can't figure out how to unmount PupServer manually.

Is there a line I can add to rc.shutdown to take care of unmounting network stuff?
Attachments
pnethood.jpg
(31.68 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

shinobar

Re: long shutdown time with network shares mounted

#342 Post by shinobar »

tubeguy wrote: I run pnethood to discover the share and connect. If I do a shutdown or reboot I see the "Dpup Exprimo SMP is now shutting down" message for about 5 minutes, then everything proceeds normally.
Which /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown are you using?
The most recent rc.shutdown which is in Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10.2 SMP has the code:

Code: Select all

#111106 do not execute fuser if network share mount.
#111107 ldolse: unmount network shares before taking down the network
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

tubeguy

Re: long shutdown time with network shares mounted

#343 Post by tubeguy »

shinobar wrote:
tubeguy wrote: I run pnethood to discover the share and connect. If I do a shutdown or reboot I see the "Dpup Exprimo SMP is now shutting down" message for about 5 minutes, then everything proceeds normally.
Which /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown are you using?
The most recent rc.shutdown which is in Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10.2 SMP has the code:

#111106 do not execute fuser if network share mount.
#111107 ldolse: unmount network shares before taking down the network
I use shutdown in the menu. I opened rc.shutdown and it has exactly what you posted at line 59 and 60. I am using Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10.2 SMP.

pemasu

#344 Post by pemasu »

backi. I have now combined the rerwins usb-no-save-at-shutdown-dialog-scripts and Shinobars petget update. This pet possibly now offers that usb installs does not go to the savefile straight when using Puppy Package Manager (PPM) and it should offer save-or-not-save-dialog at shutdown.

It does not have Shinobars pupsaveconfig-pet scripts, because that pet provides again rc.shutdown script and you cant have both versions of pupsave properties. So...I would go first with this combined pet.

Please test and report. I recommend to use dedicated savefile for this test.

You will lose Ziggy interface from Puppy Package Manager (PPM). Shinobars petget pet does not have that interface included.
Attachments
usb-no-save-petget-fix-0.0.1.pet
(165.81 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 18 Dec 2011, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#345 Post by pemasu »

tubeguy. I am sure there is possibility to add that unmounting option to the rc.shutdown or to some other script which would be called from rc.shutdown.

I believe clarf has been most active with pnethood and I use his updated version of pnethood. I would recommend to pm clarf of your request.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70532

tubeguy

#346 Post by tubeguy »

pemasu wrote:tubeguy. I am sure there is possibility to add that unmounting option to the rc.shutdown or to some other script which would be called from rc.shutdown.

I believe clarf has been most active with pnethood and I use his updated version of pnethood. I would recommend to pm clarf of your request.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70532
OK thanks!

shinobar

petget update

#347 Post by shinobar »

pemasu wrote: I have now combined the rerwins usb-no-save-at-shutdown-dialog-scripts and Shinobars petget update. This pet possibly now offers that usb saves does not go to the savefile when using Puppy Package Manager (PPM) and it should offer save-or-not-save-dialog at shutdown.
The updated PPM has the code in /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh:

# 30nov11 shinobar: lookup RAMSAVEINTERVAL in /etc/eventmanager
Means you need to set the RAMSAVEINTERVAL to zero('0') to avoid direct save to the save layer.
You can set the RAMSAVEINTERVAL=0 by the bootmanager.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

smokey01

#348 Post by smokey01 »

tubeguy when I do networking I normally use samba-tng as the server.

To connect to it I use pnethood like so:

pnethood 192.168.0.3
This way it does not search my entire local network.

You do need to find out the lIP address of you local server is first. Just run ifconfig from a terminal window and it should be displayed on the second line.
Last edited by smokey01 on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

Shutdown touchpad on Dell Inspiron Laptop

#349 Post by Jim1911 »

Any ideas how to turn off touchpad with this distribution? I use a wireless mouse and I keep accidentally hitting the touchpad which causes weird jumps while typing.

@smokey01, Do you know of a pet to install lameSMBxplorer which I find much easier to use than pnethood?

Thanks,
Jim

tubeguy

#350 Post by tubeguy »

smokey01 wrote:To connect to it I use pnethood like so:

pnethood 192.168.0.3
This way it does not search my entire local network.

You do need to find out the lIP address of you local server is first. Just run ifconfig from a terminal window and it should be displayed on the second line.
Thanks, much quicker than doing all the unneeded discovery!

backi

#351 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !
Tested the " usb-no-save-dialog-shutdown-0.0.1.pet " you advised me to probe .
Does not work . Installing programms , they still go straight to save-file on my Usb stick .
Can not prevent them from saving.
.................. pmount works ...........

Other changes during session (for example some firefox settings ) could be prevented from saving ---seems they do not go straight to save-file )
Also somehow PPM does not remove installed packages .

Cheers !

pemasu

#352 Post by pemasu »

backi. Did you test the second pet which has Shinobars fixed petget stuff included. That should prevent the straight saving when installing pet from PPM.

pemasu

#353 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. If gui Flsynclient does not disable your touchpad, you can disable it straight from console: synclient TouchpadOff=1

Place the command to the script and insert that script to the /root/Startup

Lamesmbxplorer, which I found. Havent tested.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 0.2.2b.pet

backi

#354 Post by backi »

Pemasu Hi !

Used first the wrong pet (the first )
After installing the second one ( the fixed one )
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=49895

everything works fine .
Could not live without it .
Thank you very much !
Last edited by backi on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#355 Post by backi »

Pemasu Hi !

Used first the wrong pet (the first )
After installing the second ono ( the fixed one )
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=49895

everything works fine .
Could not live without it .
Thank you very much !

pemasu

#356 Post by pemasu »

Thank you of the feedback backi. I remove the first pet now.

Jim1911

#357 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:Jim1911. If t gui Flsynclient does not disable your touchpad, you can disable it straight from console: synclient TouchpadOff=1

Place the command to the script and insert that script to the /root/Startup

Lamesmbxplorer, which I found. Havent tested.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 0.2.2b.pet
Thanks for suggestions, however they don't work. All would be good additions if they work. I haven't been able to find the gui Flsynclient, maybe it's under my nose. :oops:

Merry Christmas,
Jim
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(8.37 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
image-1.jpg
(8.78 KiB) Downloaded 616 times

pemasu

#358 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. Lamesmbxplorer seems to be one of those not yet updated to gtkdialog-0.8 stage. Good pick anyway. Not sure if Patriot is willing to update it to the new gtkdialog level.

You dont have synaptics loaded. Synclient and Flsynclient (in Desktop) wont work for you. Do you know what driver your touchpad should use.

Anyway, if you dont have touchpad driver even loaded, you can use setup > mouse/keyboard wizard > touchpad and disable it, I am not sure if it will still launch old touchpad gui, since Flsynclient is linked to it. It might if you dont have synaptics loaded. Not sure, but test.

Jim1911

#359 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:Jim1911. Lamesmbxplorer seems to be one of those not yet updated to gtkdialog-0.8 stage. Good pick anyway. Not sure if Patriot is willing to update it to the new gtkdialog level.

You dont have synaptics loaded. Synclient and Flsynclient (in Desktop) wont work for you. Do you know what driver your touchpad should use.

Anyway, if you dont have touchpad driver even loaded, you can use setup > mouse/keyboard wizard > touchpad and disable it, I am not sure if it will still launch old touchpad gui, since Flsynclient is linked to it. It might if you dont have synaptics loaded. Not sure, but test.
I don't know how the touchpad is loaded, maybe the sys-info report gives a clue. The mouse/keyboard wizard complains.

I use lameSMBxplorer in Fatdog64 and LHP-64 to access files on my lan, works great. I haven't tried setting up Samba on your distribution.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and your family,
Jim
Attachments
image-3.jpg
mouse/keyboard wizard
(34.95 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
sys-info-111219.gz
LH sys-info
(9.3 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

pemasu

#360 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10.3 has been uploaded. Kernel 3.1 has been recompiled so that firewall has been compiled as modules. Now firewallstate tray app works and has been included. Jemimah has patched the acpitool so that vattery-acpitool (tray battery app) is back. You get the verbose warnings again. Some new small puppy apps included. Streamsniff, BMI galculator ( handy now when Christmas is at the door, lol). No more chocolate,honey, I calculated your BMI).

My first build with new woof2.

Firefox 8.0.1 with Fireftp and Flashblock. ROX-Filer test, which has partly resolved the rox bug. Not sure if it is 100 % ok, but ppl will tell, I hope.

SFSdirload and sfs_load both. SFSdirload has it`s own new thread, by seaside. Search it and you find the description. It symlinks and loads whole folders of sfs apps. You can circumvent the 6 sfs restriction. It seems that it didnt have menu icon, oh well. My last minute addition.

Pmusic 2.2.2 and many other puppy apps updated to the latest. MtPaint 3.34.78 and hopefully preconfigured to print with GtkLp app. MtPaint > file > actions > print image.
Ffconvert has plinej`s addition:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 129#586129
Not thoroughly tested, but seems ok for posting, lol.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... o5X103SMP/

Kernel sources: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... ernel-3.1/