Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 003 - NOV 29, 2011

#841 Post by Billtoo »

double post.

majorfoo

Lucid 5.28-004 RC

#842 Post by majorfoo »

D/L iso, booted live cd to desktop - No internet connection
I had to set up manually

I have not had any sound problems as do full installs on 7 different puppies.

Full install of this version works with no problems

My congratulations and thanks to all worked so hard to make this version great.

majorfoo

ttuuxxx

Re: Smiling

#843 Post by ttuuxxx »

[quote="sheldonisaac

I'm on 214X-TOP9 on this computer, because it runs without problems,

I too thank playdayz and the others for 5.2.8, which runs fine on my less-old computers.[/quote]
That's excellent ti know :) thanks :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ETP

Testing 003 & 004

#844 Post by ETP »

playdayz
In a previous post in this thread (page 50) I commented that whilst I have never lost sound on a USB stick, I had when copying a pup over to USBHD with the exception of Racy-5.2.2 k3.0.7.

Having said that I only possess one pc and my sticks and therefore Alsa are not being presented with different combinations of sound chips and devices. It seems that Alsa works best with a clean start so that it can create its inodes – which makes sense when moving a USB device between PCs.

These comments apply to a manual frugal install to a fat 32 USB 2 stick with syslinux 4.04 boot and ext2 save file. The screenshots are of 003.
I started by using another pup to mount lupu_528.sfs before launching for the first time.

Noteworthy in the first shot are:
119 items in /dev/sound – the bulk of which are from 2005 (harmless orphaned inodes?)
The 3 pci items dated 25 Nov 2011 in /dev/snd/by-path
The 3 mixers in /dev
It seems that all of this stuff comes from the pc that authored the ISO.

The second screenshot show the situation after the first re-boot and creation of a savefile.

Here alsa has done its thing and created the necessary for 2 devices.

Taking my cue from BK’s approach in racy where, with an earlier version of alsa, he purges everything in rc.sysinit I wrote a standalone script to do the same. (slightly modified for the later version in 528 and catching a bit more)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
rm -f /dev/*mixer* 2>/dev/null #changed to zap mixer, mixer 01, mixer02 etc
rm -f /dev/snd/*
rm -f /dev/snd/by-path/* #added for alsa v1.0.24
yaf-splash -close never -fontsize large -bg blue -fg white -timeout 5 -text "Now reboot!" &
The third shot shows having run the above and rebooted.
This last shot looks a lot better and is inline with what I see in Racy but with the extra directory /dev/snd/by-path. I like Barry’s approach and was contemplating suggesting that it be included in rc.sysinit . In particular it gets rid of any detritus already in the ISO as the clean state is saved.

At this point ISO 004 was posted !
With 004 the detritus comes back from the SFS due to the changes made and the clean state is not being saved. Running the script is negated upon reboot.
This post is therefore now food for thought as to which approach has the most merit and least risk. It may also be possible to just author a clean ISO (from the alsa point of view) in the first place.
Attachments
fixsound.tar.gz
(302 Bytes) Downloaded 281 times
3_postfixandreboot.png
(117.11 KiB) Downloaded 1892 times
2_firstrebootwith savefile.png
(138.16 KiB) Downloaded 1874 times
1_lupu_528.sfs.png
(118.9 KiB) Downloaded 1980 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

playdayz

#845 Post by playdayz »

Taking my cue from BK’s approach in racy where, with an earlier version of alsa, he purges everything in rc.sysinit I wrote a standalone script to do the same. (slightly modified for the later version in 528 and catching a bit more)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
rm -f /dev/*mixer* 2>/dev/null #changed to zap mixer, mixer 01, mixer02 etc
rm -f /dev/snd/*
rm -f /dev/snd/by-path/* #added for alsa v1.0.24
yaf-splash -close never -fontsize large -bg blue -fg white -timeout 5 -text "Now reboot!" &
ETP, This was the next step, but the previous step (the 004 iso) seems to have "solved the problem," hopefully, but my fingers are still crossed. rerwin is working along similar lines for a more comprehensive revision--you might want to pm him and collaborate. We might go to something like a stable iso and a testing iso.

The 119 items in /dev/snd seem to be a product of Woof at the time, since they are present in the original Woof build. A related question is what remastering does to /dev/snd, as the 004 iso is remastered rather than built in Woof. rerwin would know about that too since he has enhanced the remaster script.

Ultimately BarryK is the one to hear the results of these investigations.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 18 Dec 2011, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#846 Post by rerwin »

ETP, playdayz,
My next patch (6) will have the /dev/snd files removed at initialization, as in wary/woof. But the remaster issue is a good one to bring up, as it may copy all of the /dev files. I will check into that before releasing the patch.

Note that the patch will skip only the /dev/snd files, not the entire /dev directory. This is to eliminate all other known hazards to the sound issue before diverging from Barry's design.

The major change in the patch is to ensure that package installations and uninstallations do not occur at the wrong time relative to saves to flash drive. This is significant only when a package contains an updated version of a file already in the iso file. Packages with only new files do not need that protection. I am still working out some maddening details.
Richard

shinobar

grub4dos on 528-004

#847 Post by shinobar »

Billtoo wrote:I did a full install of lupu-528.004.iso to an Acer desktop pc.
Everything went well except grub4dos didn't search the partitions when
I ran it.
The drive has 4 ext4 partitions on it and I installed lupu to the 3rd
partition.When I ran grub4dos I clicked on the option to search only
the hard drive and it didn't work, I installed
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.7.1.pet and it worked properly.
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.7.1 is better, yes.
But i wonder why the grub4dos v1.7 in lupu-528.004.iso didn't work.
The grub4dos v1.7 and ext4 issue depends on the fdisk version.
And the lupu-528.004.iso should be OK.
# fdisk -v
fdisk (util-linux 2.13-pre7)

But can be another bug...
Anyway, updating the grub4dos to v1.7.1 is nice.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Sage

#848 Post by Sage »

I only possess one pc
How many would you need? Send me a PM. Presume you'd be happy running board on a strip of old Out house cabinet? Do you have a KVM and/or an hiD15 switchbox? Got a few old Intel 1G boards which are perfect for Puppy, esp. as you can use up some of your old SDRAM. What other HW do you need?

shinobar

Avidemux video editor for Lucid

#849 Post by shinobar »

Compiled on Lucid-528.004.
avidemux-2.5.5-lucid.pet
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/pup5/

Topic: Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74380
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

cowboy

official 5.2.8

#850 Post by cowboy »

Playdayz,

Just wondering - on the first page of this thread, Lucid 5.2.8 offered for download is the .003 version. However, this doesn't really jive with where one is lead from puppylinux.com (maintained by BK), which is to the original 5.2.8 iso. Is that correct? Which version should be presented to first time downloaders?

Keep up the great work.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

fuzzy

PUPPY 528.004

#851 Post by fuzzy »

Installed 528.004 on a USB Flash Drive stick and
It's working great Sound is OK.

There's one little thing:
When I upgraded to Firefox 8.0.1 and installed
adobe flash 11, then the browser hangs on connecting
to web pages.
I used the fix that requires moving the file 'libnss3.so' from the Firefox folder, to the
/usr/lib folder. It works for me, but a new user
wouldn't know that.

playdayz

#852 Post by playdayz »

Just wondering - on the first page of this thread, Lucid 5.2.8 offered for download is the .003 version. However, this doesn't really jive with where one is lead from puppylinux.com (maintained by BK), which is to the original 5.2.8 iso. Is that correct? Which version should be presented to first time downloaders?
Hey cowboy, There is a release candidate of Lucid 5.2.8.004 on the previous page. If no problems surface in the next few days then it will become the official release in the first message of this thread. I see what you mean by Barry's blog Announcement. I might ask Barry to change the link to direct people to the first message of this thread. That would be the simplest thing for him and everyone would come to the same place. I will do that when and if 004 gets promoted. The 004 version will be the one for newbies. Thanks.
Lucid 5.2.8.004 RC -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 510#589510
There's one little thing: When I upgraded to Firefox 8.0.1 and installed adobe flash 11, then the browser hangs on connecting to web pages. I used the fix that requires moving the file 'libnss3.so' from the Firefox folder, to the /usr/lib folder. It works for me, but a new user wouldn't know that.
The Firefox 8 pet now fixes that fuzzy. The timing is awkward because Lucid has a release candidate on the table which I do not want to modify since it has been tested. I should post the fix on LupuNews and in the first message of this thread. I will do so when 004 goes official. Also, the FF 8 that newbies would get from the Browser Installer is fixed. Thanks.
Firefox 8 and other current browsers -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 868#584868

ICPUG

#853 Post by ICPUG »

I just want to add my congrats for the work on 5.2.8-004.

Despite your encouragement for us to move to Slacko, Playdayz, I appreciate your extended work on 5.2.8. It is a very professional approach to make this the best supported mainstream puppy there has ever been.

Talking of professional - your idea of stable and testing versions - which mimicks Debian - is yet another example of the greater profesionalism being applied to Lupu.

I know it goes against the grain of standard Puppy development chaos but some of us appreciate it!

Sylvander

#854 Post by Sylvander »

Lupu is my number-1 Puppy. :D

Lupu-528.004 is working well. 8)
My lupusave updated perfectly so far as I can tell. 8)

I'm typing this from Slacko-5.3.1-SCSI-MAIN.
OK, its nice and colorful...
Looks good...
Includes snap2 I see [did I install that?]...
The included Psip32 Puppy Phone probably won't work with my hardware...
The 0.26 version installed in Lupu-528.004 works just fine.
Managed to get this Slacko to work with pmedia=ataflash included in the ISO file's isolinux.cfg file, so that makes it a winner in my opinion.
Who knows, might I be tempted to switch?
Time will tell.

I'm spoiled for choice.
Isn't Puppy WONDERFUL! :D

playdayz

#855 Post by playdayz »

Compiled on Lucid-528.004.
avidemux-2.5.5-lucid.pet
Thanks shinobar.

Now in Puppy Package Manage in Lucid.

Open Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM to update the index for Puppy Package Manager.

Sage

#856 Post by Sage »

Difficult to express sufficient appreciation for anything-demux & anything-streaming!
Public spirited citizen of the world, you deserve a gong for kicking the idiot US politicians and greedy Hollyweirdos! How about a universal *ss-kicking flash-player, next?

Just one teeny-weeny comment. 'calc' opens a spreadsheet. This is a very elaborate way for adding two and two! Perhaps the label could be changed to 'spread', hopefully not causing offence amongst double-entendre aficionados. Something simpler for tax calculations might be appropriate, with a .pet for those working in the imaginary quadrant? Maybe I am missing something? People often say I am...

Aitch

#857 Post by Aitch »

Playdayz
I have to admit Lupu 5.25 fast became my favourite from 214X, one I started using it...then the mobo decided to burn out its USB power, and, try as I might, I couldn't fix it...so, my replacement is a Supermicro server...with SCSI hdd, 5gb ram and 2 xeons...and that's where Slacko 5.3 got me puppified again, as it has both SCSI and PAE support...but if I get another P4 PC, or you add SCSI/PAE to the kernel....I'll be back LUPUing - great job, indeed :D

Aitch :)

Jasper

#858 Post by Jasper »

Sage,

Why don't you merely right click and edit your desktop icon label by deleting "calc" and typing "gnumeric" or "s'sheet" or ..... ? Then you can relax and have "A Happy Christmas".

My regards

Sage

#859 Post by Sage »

Why don't you...
Yes, of course. that would solve the matter for me. However, I am more concerned with the general improvement of the breed for the benefit of other users, notably incomers. Polish and polishing some more is the only way Puppy will be able to snap at the heels of Mint.

l2ulinux

#860 Post by l2ulinux »

First 528 worked good, 002M when I did a save to CD are made a savefile I lost the use of the keyboard and with 003 it turns my ethernet off and it will not work again with any Puppy are windows till I shutdown the system. Then I have to unplug the ethernet csble and put it back in.