Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#821 Post by playdayz »

Thank you Sylvander. This is the farthest we have gotten since 5.2.6. What I will do now is to make a release iso. My fingers are still crossed.

Sylvander

#822 Post by Sylvander »

A. By-the-way...

I installed "Psip Puppy Phone" version 0.26, and gave it a try.

PuppyLuvr called me, I took the call, he reported severe echo at his end.
My end was fine.
After a while...
Not having made ANY change...
The echo ceased. :?

Might this perhaps be...
That my on-board-sound + sound card [both enabled]...
Is causing echo at the other persons end?

Any thoughts?

B. Will I be able to use your new-release ISO file to update my lupusave contents?

bigpup

#823 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Thank you Sylvander. This is the farthest we have gotten since 5.2.6. What I will do now is to make a release iso. My fingers are still crossed.
Great to see you are making progress on sound issue. Seems you have found cure.
Not knowing what changes you have made to Lucid Puppy 528, with test02-lupu-528x.
I hope you have considered, that those changes, did not remove a fix for other problems.
The simple fix is not always the best one.

Thanks for your continuing efforts to improve Lucid Puppy 528. :D
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rincon155

Re: Keyboard problem with Puppy 5.2.8

#824 Post by rincon155 »

shinobar wrote:@rincon155
Is your keyboard PS/2 or USB?
How about at the prompt(without X)? i mean Menu>>Shutdown>>Exit to prompt.

If you can use mouse, you can see the logs after boot.
Such as /tmp/bootkernel.log, /var/log/Xorg.0.log...
It is a wireless device with PS/2 and USB connection. Initially it was installed using PS/2, then I changed to USB directly. No difference. But again, using any other OS (Puppy's or different Distros: in HDD and LiveCD's), in both case PS/2 and USB keyboard worked fine.
I uninstalled several packages in Puppy 5.2.8, and tried keyboard one by one, but the problem stayed. After so many uninstall's I concluded that my customized lupusave lost any sense, so I deleted it and I am now using Slacko 5.3 with everything fine. May be lupufile was corrupted, but why it occurred just after Chromiun install, being the first action after PC startup?
Registered Linux User # 54726, LupuLibre and LupuSuper4 5.2.8.6, Precise 5.7.1, LightHouse Mariner 64-6.02-B2

Brown Mouse

#825 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote: What I will do now is to make a release iso.
Are you planning on including a fix that will be included for the main release 528.iso or is this a separate issue?

rhadon

#826 Post by rhadon »

@shinobar
the last days I was playing with pmedia=ataflash instead of atahd (Slacko 5.3). Also played with rc.shutdown, but often changes in rc.shutdown were not saved at the end of the session. Other changes like copying or deleting got saved.

Since I use alsa_snapmergepuppy-20111210-shinobar.tar.gz, everything seems to work fine.

Thank you
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

playdayz

#827 Post by playdayz »

Are you planning on including a fix that will be included for the main release 528.iso or is this a separate issue?
Brown Mouse, I think you are asking about this.

Release Candidate for Lucid 5.2.8-004
This has the same fixes as the test02-lupu-528x.iso, specifically shinobar and rerwin's repairs to snapmergepuppy and 10alsa. It appears to fix the problem with usb-flash/sound disappearing, as well as possibly other problems, as in rhadon's message above. It also has the latest Install Flashplayer to adjust to the fact that Adobe has started moving the flashplayer binary around. Apart from those changes it contains Instant Update 002. No other changes are included as the main purpose is to consolidate a fix for the usb-flash/sound issue.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.004.iso
4d8c53f27d605775b1791fb32791c704

kevin bowers

DevX for lupu-528.004?

#828 Post by kevin bowers »

Playdayz,
After all these fixes and retractions and more fixes, which DevX file should go with lupu-528.004? Or does it need its own? BTW, I'm in awe of the Puppy developer team, especially you, Shinobar, Rerwin, and Smokey01, you guys busted tail for what looked like about a half-dozen Puppy users with sound problems. OK, maybe it was for the sake of a job well done, equally admirable. Thanks and kudos!

Sage

#829 Post by Sage »

Exactly what is the strategy? A gold version soon? And how does this affect 3HD?
Whatever, must echo the congratulatory. Polishing brings an inner glow - very professional to dot the 't' s and cross the 'i' s, so to speak!

Sylvander

#830 Post by Sylvander »

A. Downloaded the Lupu-528.004.iso file.

B. Edited the isolinux.cfg file on the iso, and renamed it Lupu-528.004-ataflash.iso

C. Made a CD-RW using Lupu-528.004-ataflash.iso

D. Deleted the "old" SFS file beside the lupusave file, and copied the "new" SFS into its place.

E. Rebooted using the Lupu-528.004-ataflash CD-RW.
It found and used the "old" lupusave file.
There was no notification of a need to update the lupusave file.
Is this because...
Lupu-528.004.iso
Is IDENTICAL to...
test02-lupu-528x.iso ?

F. Anyway...
It's working just as well as before. :D 8)
Unable to tell any difference.

pupzo

LUPU 5.2.8 Hardware not working

#831 Post by pupzo »

Hi

i was really hoping that some one could help me with something i have been struggling with, i have a Zotac Zbox Nano AD10.
http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/zardo ... us-review/

im struggling to get the graphics card(AMD Radeon HD6310) and audio to work on lupu 5.2.8.

i have installed numerous drivers for the graphics and cant seem to find a match, i was hoping that you could help me debug this to get it functioning.
i want to get the full potential of my graphics card and if possible extend the screen so i can have 2 screens, i have it all connected and while using the VESA driver it only clones the display.

sound, i tried the alsa driver wizard but it seems like the HW is not configured correctly. so it does not detect the audio and fails at some point. but it has never worked.

thanks kindly

Sage

#832 Post by Sage »

Runs like the clappers on an old A850 board - everything works.

playdayz

#833 Post by playdayz »

After all these fixes and retractions and more fixes, which DevX file should go with lupu-528.004?

Shinobar, Rerwin, and Smokey01, you guys busted tail for what looked like about a half-dozen Puppy users with sound problems.
kevin bowers, Yes, lupu_devx_528-4.sfs is the appropriate devx. That would only change if the release number 528 changed.

lupu_devx_528-4.sfs -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... _528-4.sfs
bf14b9eea9d67ad2f58dd11dc15832f7 lupu_devx_528-4.sfs

Yes, we had some people work extremely hard on the usb-flash/sound issue. That was not easy because it was deep in the infrastructure, not just a problem with one particular program. I still have my fingers crossed-we will test the 004 iso as release candidate for several days. It wouldn't have been possible without Sylvander.
Exactly what is the strategy? A gold version soon? And how does this affect 3HD?
That's a good idea Sage. The strategy is to test the rc then hopefully post it as official in the first message of this thread and on ibiblio. Then I will post Instant Update 004 for people who are already using Lucid and don't want to download the new iso. The usb-flash/sound issue has not been reported in 3HD (or maybe once) so right now I regard 3HD with Instant Update 001 in the Three-Headed Dog thread to be solid. In the future of Lucid, rerwin is working on some further refinements and I am thinking that perhaps in the future we could have a "Stable" iso and a "Testing" iso. Another possibility is to emphasize Remastering and collect some interesting remasters--the Remastering capability of Lucid is working nicely with some improvements rerwin has made.

Three-Headed Dog -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#834 Post by Sage »

Well done - told you this one was worth the enormous effort. The silent majority are smiling with you. Something this good deserves everyone's appreciation and deserves to continue.

mavrothal

#835 Post by mavrothal »

Here is a strange one with 004 (haven't noticed on earlier builds but can not exclude it either)
While running frugal from a USB, unloading an sfs with SFS_load on the fly, triggers snapmerge!
This is not the case with a frugal install on a HD.
Anybody else seeing this?
Is not really a problem (other than some delay), but is it intentional or a consequence of the recent changes?

Latter: though not formally measured, snapmerge looks considerably slower now in a frugal USB install, both in interval saves and shutdown
Last edited by mavrothal on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

elcurita

Smiling

#836 Post by elcurita »

To the "lost sound" team =THANK YOU!
Part of the silent majority smiling.

bigpup

Re: Smiling

#837 Post by bigpup »

elcurita wrote:To the "lost sound" team =THANK YOU!
+1

This kind of willingness, to improve and tweak, has made Lucid Puppy 528 the only Puppy I use.

The others I play with.
They just do not have the polished look and feel of Lucid 528.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#838 Post by playdayz »

Adblock Plus for Chromium-based Browsers--Srware Iron, Google Chrome, Chromium

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cddilifddb

Here are the browsers -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 868#584868

sheldonisaac

Re: Smiling

#839 Post by sheldonisaac »

Some snipping.
bigpup wrote:
elcurita wrote:To the "lost sound" team =THANK YOU!
+1

This kind of willingness, to improve and tweak, has made Lucid Puppy 528 the only Puppy I use.
I'm on 214X-TOP9 on this computer, because it runs without problems,

I too thank playdayz and the others for 5.2.8, which runs fine on my less-old computers.

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 003 - NOV 29, 2011

#840 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of lupu-528.004.iso to an Acer desktop pc.
Everything went well except grub4dos didn't search the partitions when
I ran it.
The drive has 4 ext4 partitions on it and I installed lupu to the 3rd
partition.When I ran grub4dos I clicked on the option to search only
the hard drive and it didn't work, I installed
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.7.1.pet and it worked properly.
Other than that problem everything is good.

Sat 17 Dec 2011 Operating System: Lucid -528 Linux 2.6.33.2
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Core 0: 2394 1: 2394 2: 2394 3: 2394 MHz