Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#321 Post by pemasu »

Shinobar. Thank you of clarification. I think that I would go with your fully fixed version. Functionality first.
I will download latest woof this evening. I will take my laptop to Lapland. At evenings I usually have there couple of hours free time. So I can start to test latest woof and my latest kernel compile.

Laie

#322 Post by Laie »

Desktop PC Medion
AMD Athlon II X 4 640 (4x3,0 GHz), 4 GB Ram, Graphics AMD Radeon HD6450
Exprimo 5.X.10.2 boots, localization works, Xorg accepts 1600x900x24.
Xwin doesn't start, I have to wait for some seconds then the prompt returns.
What a pity! :cry:

atv

to Laie

#323 Post by atv »

Desktop PC Medion
AMD Athlon II X 4 640 (4x3,0 GHz), 4 GB Ram, Graphics AMD Radeon HD6450
Exprimo 5.X.10.2 boots, localization works, Xorg accepts 1600x900x24.
Xwin doesn't start, I have to wait for some seconds then the prompt returns.
What a pity! Crying or Very sad
Hi, I had similar problem and at # prompt I typed xwin and was able to continue from there...
hope that helps.
:) atv

James C

#324 Post by James C »

Was running my old AntiX P3 so..... full install of Exprimo 5.X.10.2.No problems.Everything working out of the box.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo SMP, version 5.X.10.2 on Sun 4 December 2011

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 04)
oem: Intel(R) 815 Chipset Video BIOS
product: Intel(R) 815 Chipset Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 512MB (125MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 04 Dec 2011 11:28:24 PM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.1.0 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Sat Nov 12 21:58:58 EET 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.2 (stable)

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 512356 273264 239092 0 9944
-/+ buffers: 263320 249036
Swap: 1075196 0 1075196

Laie

Re: to Laie

#325 Post by Laie »

atv wrote:
...Xwin doesn't start, I have to wait for some seconds then the prompt returns...
Hi, I had similar problem and at # prompt I typed xwin and was able to continue from there...
hope that helps.
Thank you, but unfortunately trying to start Xwindows from the console repeats the problem. I wait for some time and the prompt returns.

stu90

#326 Post by stu90 »

Laie wrote:
atv wrote:
...Xwin doesn't start, I have to wait for some seconds then the prompt returns...
hope that helps.
Thank you, but unfortunately trying to start Xwindows from the console repeats the problem. I wait for some time and the prompt returns.
maybe try running xorgwizard at prompt?

Laie

#327 Post by Laie »

stu90 wrote:maybe try running xorgwizard at prompt?
I tried that, too. No change happened. xwin doesn't start.

Jim1911

Re: Battery low warning missing

#328 Post by Jim1911 »

csshin wrote:Is it possible to have the battery warning back in Exprimo 5X10?
An audible warning would be great, I have had unexpected shutdowns several times because I failed to notice that the battery was low,

Regards,
Jim

pemasu

#329 Post by pemasu »

I just got back from Lapland. Back in civilization now. Had really fun in lapland. I saw a lot reindeers and great views along ski tracks. Herd of reindeers even came to our camp and they licked our bus as high as they could. There was street salt in the sides of bus and that attracted them.

About Vattery. There is only one problem. I would need help from Jemimah so that vattery-acpitool would be updated to the 3.1.X level. It seqfaults. I dont have the source of vattery-acpitool and even with source I am not sure I would know how to patch it.
But Vattery and vattery-ibam works ok. I will attach the pet here. But it is without that vattery-acpitool. So it wont work for everybody. Vattery-ibam is quite old stuff, it wont recognize right all batteries. And I cant help there if it does not.

I start now to read through 150 posts made during my vacation. And all mail noticed threads. I am afraid that I cant be very active though. I will have hard weeks ahead in my work. And my vacation didnt help that.
I didnt do any Puppy stuff during my Lapland time. I used my free time with my professional reading, I had couple of hours time every evening to read a lot stuff I will need during next weeks. So I will follow but wont produce much.
Attachments
vattery-0.0.1.pet
(51.94 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

tubeguy

#330 Post by tubeguy »

pemasu wrote:I just got back from Lapland. Back in civilization now. Had really fun in lapland. I saw a lot reindeers and great views along ski tracks. Herd of reindeers even came to our camp and they licked our bus as high as they could. There was street salt in the sides of bus and that attracted them.
Welcome back!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

pemasu

#331 Post by pemasu »

Okay. I made test build with recompiled 3.1.0 and it seems to work. I didnt use the latest woof1 version but the one I used with previous build and I didnt update anything, I just wanted to test that the kernel is sane. Firewall script should be ok now. The firewall modules are now compiled as modules, not as static as in previous kernel. So the rc.firewall script does not complain about unable to load modules. (You cant load something which is compiled statically and is already usable).

I will start to read back this thread and also other threads about things to update.
Fontconfig has been changed back to previous version as Stu90 suggested.

Next thing would be to start learning woof2. I havent even checked it so far. But I think 01micko has used it already ? ....so it should be usable.....I think.

pemasu

#332 Post by pemasu »

Hah. I couldnt let my hands be out from woof2. I have now it installed and I am ready to start working with it. But...now comes my tough days with work. I probably dont have much time with puppies until Christmas....and then it is time to be with friends...relatives...parents...sister and her husband...kids...and so on.....

backi

#333 Post by backi »

HI Pemasu !
(working on a single core toshiba laptop ..if this is somehow important ( I am a Linux newby ) )
I am using dpupexprimo 5.9 on a USB stick .
I like this " no save at shutdown " option a lot (experimenting with new installations ,settings and changes without damaging my setup ,because i can avoid saving unwanted changes quite comfortable) and it works well on that version.

I now tested this in dpupexprimo 5X10 .
Dpup 5X10 works well so far , except this "no save at shutdown " option,which is quite an important tool for me (says it doesnt save- but it does ).
Wanna ask you if there is a chance (maybe sooner or maybe later ) to make it work in this version too ? I do not know how to to do it..
My live does not depend on that thing -- -- but ... miss it somehow..

There is another "bug" i found ..pmount does not work.Using Ymount instead. .. this works ..but not so important .

All in all ----beautiful distro .
Last edited by backi on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 17:41, edited 2 times in total.

backi

#334 Post by backi »

Same as my last post

soundNICK

oops

#335 Post by soundNICK »

ha... just realized, Ive been posting about 5x8 in the 5x9 thread, but now
with 5x10.2 working, I should be posting here : - )

Dpup Exprimo 5.x.10.2 is going to be tough to improve on.

soundNICK

pemasu

#336 Post by pemasu »

Backi. Pmount problem should have been fixed in 5.X.10.2 version.
About not saving with usb flash.
Rerwin has already provided pet which has that kind solution embedded in rc.shutdown script. It creates on option save or not save the session.

The patch-5 pet was posted in lucid thread. I can hunt it down tomorrow and made a pet which has only that script included.

backi

#337 Post by backi »

Thanks pemasu !

Wish you a happy christmas ...

pemasu

#338 Post by pemasu »

The post content has been removed. The right proposition to backis post is couple of posts below with attached pet.
There should be the solution for usb booting, PPM installation without saving straight to the savefile and rc.shutdown fix with save-or-not-save-dialog.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 19 Dec 2011, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#339 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

I forgot to mention that , when i install new pets or Debs (new programms), which i sometimes just want to test without installing or maybe keep them later, if i like them , they go directly to USB stick . The light of the Usb stick is flickering . They dont stay in RAM . I cant prevent them from saving, despite using later "no save at shutdown" option .

Gonna try your pet . Will report result later .

Thank you !

shinobar

PPM saves direct to the save layer

#340 Post by shinobar »

backi wrote:when i install new pets or Debs (new programms), which i sometimes just want to test without installing or maybe keep them later, if i like them , they go directly to USB stick .
You need both the two:
petget-20111130
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829
PupsaveConfig-1.9.9
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60678
Last edited by shinobar on Sun 18 Dec 2011, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]