Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#361 Post by 01micko »

Chris

There is a good post by TazOC here that explains things.
Using "nvidia.modeset=0" appears wrong. As TazOC goes on, nouveau is the kernel driver, however I have omitted the nouveau Xorg driver, so I don't think it gets loaded at all. Perhaps the "xforcevesa" param is what you need?

What actually happens? Do you get to xorgwizard? Or blackscreen and nothing?

If you can get to a prompt type "HELP", no quotes. See what happens :wink:

(can you PM me, I lost that number :wink: )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Re: Like billtoo's background pix!

#362 Post by Billtoo »

Tui wrote:Hi Billtoo, I like you holiday background pix.

Can and would you post me the file of it?

I have a wide screen monitor, 16x9 format, would it fit that?

Thanks
Tui
Here's a link to it, it will adjust to your screen when it prepares to dl it.

They keep adding more so the page number may change.

http://www.desktopnexus.com/search/christmas/41/

cthisbear

#363 Post by cthisbear »

Thanks mate....onto it now.

Do you get to xorgwizard...yep.

puppy pfix=ram xforcevesa nomodeset...no good.

Shall reboot.

All falls down.

Nice hearing from you mate.

"""""""""""

Dell Studio XPS 13 Laptop Technical Specifications:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1067MHz FSB)

Chipset NVIDIA GeForce MCP79MX

Graphics ...not sure which one

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G

NVIDIA GeForce 9500M – 256MB

http://www.notebook-driver.com/laptops- ... fications/

Cheers.....Chris.
Last edited by cthisbear on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#364 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:01micko wrote
Please report anything good or bad.
it is good that it probably includes xdelta but it is bad that xdelta is not often used .
waste not want not. all these extra bandwidths are contributing to global warming. it will be the fall of civilization as currently envisioned, the undoing of mankind as we know him. the barbarians will bomb more unsuspecting innocents in order to steal their oil to generate more power to fuel the bandwidth explosion. need more? just ask.
oh yes i forgot to mention that after the barbarians bomb the innocents, the EU vetoed unregulated London city financial institutions will declare them persona non grata and then steal the innocents money and give it to the UN to squander on 5 star hotel rooms, latest new white 4WD vehicles and multiple massively obsolete "security", not to mention padding secret bank accounts in obscure tax havens.
are we getting closer to deltas yet?
have we got enough good and bad things yet?

aarf

#365 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:
aarf wrote:01micko wrote
Please report anything good or bad.
it is good that it probably includes xdelta but it is bad that xdelta is not often used .
waste not want not. all these extra bandwidths are contributing to global warming. it will be the fall of civilization as currently envisioned, the undoing of mankind as we know him. the barbarians will bomb more unsuspecting innocents in order to steal their oil to generate more power to fuel the bandwidth explosion. need more? just ask.
oh yes i forgot to mention that after the barbarians bomb the innocents, the EU vetoed unregulated London city financial institutions will declare them persona non grata and then steal the innocents money and give it to the UN to squander on 5 star hotel rooms, latest new white 4WD vehicles and multiple massively obsolete "security", not to mention padding secret bank accounts in obscure tax havens.
are we getting closer to deltas yet?
have we got enough good and bad things yet?
oh rats didnt make it. :cry: looks like i have to fork out 50 cents and go to the al queiida owned internet cafe and download the full iso. or i could just pass, enough slacko testers here already. :idea:

01micko

#366 Post by 01micko »

deltas are 30M, uploading to smokey01 now
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

aarf

#367 Post by aarf »

01micko wrote:deltas are 30M, uploading to smokey01 now
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slacko/
too late i've committed suicide already.:lol:
actually i was under the impression that BK already has a delta maker online at ibiblio

aarf

#368 Post by aarf »

slacko-5.3.1-SCSI-PAE_HIGHMEM-ALT.iso

delta comes down fast from smokey less than 5 minutes. booted and went to take a screen shot> lost the window to scale it to 600 wide. cant proceed. >kill mpaint. next screenshot more careful with scale 600 window> go to save> lost window to save.cant proceed because jwm loses window through the roof. windows dont fit the screen so to see the bottom of the window, need to push the window towards the top of the screen. if this pushing is done using the top bar to drag, the window will disappear before it gets to the top of the screen

need to lupify and use openbox but have lupufied racy already so slacko is not going to be tested further. same as slacko 5.3

irishrm

veetle HD plugin

#369 Post by irishrm »

I've installed veetle HD plugin on slacko 5.3.
It seems to be installed properly but doesn't work.
I also have it installed in lupu 5.1.1 and its working well.
I would like to get it working in slacko if I can. I know this is a long shot but if anyone out there can help it would be appreciated-irishrm.

aikidave

Sound problem with Slacko

#370 Post by aikidave »

hi aikidave,

Does this happen on second boot or several after? The answer to this is critical.

I ask this because sound is reconfigured on every boot so should be consistent. It may be that some file system corruption has crept in. What type of filesystem is on the root of the stick? FAT32 is ok but I prefer ext2 linux. It does seem more robust and is a maintained technology.
I created another bootable Slacko on a different USB stick (Sandisk). It is Vfat format, I believe. I have booted it 4 times so far on the laptop, and I still have sound and the sound controls. Maybe it was file system corruption. I'll keep using it and see what happens. If I have a problem again, I'll try the ext2 linux format.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Dave

grump

#371 Post by grump »

I've been using Slacko 5.3 since it came out, and 5.28 and 5.2.9 before that - on an oldish Toshiba A200 laptop. It works very well for me, except for 2 apps I like to use -
- Shrink 1.1 (to shrink images to pre-determined sizes by right-clicking) and
- Pcdripper - to rip CDs incorporating pcparanoia - sort of like EAC in Windows - see here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=157790

Both these work nicely in Lupo, so I've pretty much gone back there, after getting the shiny new 5.2.8.003 iso and 'upgrading' my 5.2.8 version. (What pain, but that's another story involving an overloaded save file). However I have to say that 'upgrading' to Slacko 5.3.1 was painless this morning.

Anyway, these pets install in Slacko, but nothing happens, and I'm not clever enough (ie I haven't got a clue about) how to get them to work in Slacko. I always use Puppy with live CDs.

2 hrs later edited to add - speaking of paranoia I tried again to install these pets in Slacko, and am very pleased to say that Pcdripper is working nicely, but Shrink is not. It has made the shrunken photoes directories, but the 'Shrink to ..' entries do not appear in the drop down menu. So, I'm back in the Slacko kennel again.

emil

#372 Post by emil »

Hi grump,

can you run shrink from the commandline to see if there are any error messages?
cheers
emil

grump

#373 Post by grump »

Hello Emil -

What is this 'command line' of which you speak?

Ok, being serious, I'll have a look - but first I have to find the executable.

Edit an hour later :
Although the 'Open With ...' menus are not there, it works if I drop an image file on the icons in usr/local/shrinkimage (where it seems to install), so that's good enuff for me.

emil

#374 Post by emil »

good news -
You probably can add the shrink program to the "Open With" list by creating a symmlink in the folder /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo.

Try to follow instructions you get when
rightclick item in Rox
Choose "Open With"
Choose "Customize"

cheers

Billtoo

Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

#375 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of 531 main to a dual core HP desktop pc.
I installed the mesa pets and the proprietary Nvidia driver.

Wed 14 Dec 2011 Operating System: Slacko Puppy-5.3.1 Linux 2.6.37.6
0.0 VGA compatible controller:nVidia Corporation GT216[GeForce GT 220](rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (342x271 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500
Core 0: 1200 1: 1200 MHz

# glxgears
31749 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6349.766 FPS
31759 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6351.618 FPS
31769 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6353.598 FPS

I installed the Google Earth sfs and it's working perfectly, I'm
liking that :)
No problems so far, thanks.

don570

#376 Post by don570 »

Code: Select all

Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)  
oem: Intel(r) 82945G Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r) 82945G Chipset Family Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel

I tested Slacko 531 on a Pentium4 with intel graphics
and it selected the intel driver and booted nicely.

No problem with sound either.

don570

#377 Post by don570 »

I installed Right click on Slacko and it worked nicely
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013

But first install ghasher or gtkhash to get md5sums.

I upgraded gtkhash to version 0.5.0 and checked it on slacko
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=73839

nubc

#378 Post by nubc »

Viewing the text in this forum, particularly the text in blue or hyperlinks, default fonts in Seamonkey 2.5 could stand a little tweaking. Nice color scheme, particularly the menu tree. Task bar does a cute disappearing trick when unoccupied. Uh-oh, no "mount" icon. I'm gonna miss this. I guess it was considered to be redundant?
Last edited by nubc on Sun 18 Dec 2011, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

Iguleder

#379 Post by Iguleder »

Running 3builddistro with a vanilla Slacko build with Woof2. I'm looking for creative ideas for 5.3.2 and trying to get certain packages to work right (most notably, wbar and idesk).

Works splendidly so far, except some mess in 3builddistro. It fails to create /root/.packages for some reason.

I'd like to thank you, Mick, for all your hard work and the willingness to cooperate with other developers, as you did with the Trinity SFS and the /opt prefix fixes.

EDIT: found the problem, it was my fault. Hurray for Woof2!
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

gcmartin

First Impression with SLACKO 5.3.1 AND SAMBA 3.61 marriage

#380 Post by gcmartin »

WoW!

i'm running PAE 5.3.1 in a RAM based LIve media environment. This system, on a laptop, screams, its so fast.

The only change I have made is the addition of FULL SAMBA 3.61 from the Network Section of the PPM. Your tool that you include to help newbies (or even experienced Puppy users) to start immediate use is phenomenal. IN fact, the total arrangement of how you start the system as well as how you start SAMBA makes this so easy to have a Puppy which matches the experience I get OOTB from OSs from the Big 2 Ms (MACs and Microsofts). And, it shares all of my media flawlessly with entertainment devices that I have had problems with, in Linux, before now.

The RAM use is ONLY 134MB on this 4GB system with SAMBA sharing going and a user transferring a file from this laptop. This is a phenomenal feat. And after 2 days, I still haven't rebooted to save-session the current desktop. This experience is polished, its stable, its fast, and its feature-rich. This is all I could ever ask for from any distro, but, the speed of this exceeds wildest dreams.

Thanks 01Micko......THANKS!
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 18 Dec 2011, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.