Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 Released

News, happenings
01micko

#141 Post by 01micko »

ooh, thanks for heads up Sage.

Pretty fair review by Robert Storey.. Fortunately the touchpad issue is sorted in this release.

Good idea of his to try other mirrors if a package isn't found, might try and work that one in somehow.

I don't expect we'll be getting a review off Caitlin any time this century. Maybe if we were called Ferret Linux?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#142 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Sage just saw that - it is out of date being based on 5.3 :wink:
As a live CD it's hard to beat Puppy Linux for both performance and functional software. It has minimal hardware requirements and is very flexible. It's a great distro as long as you don't push it too far out of its niche.
. . . and there was me just getting Openshot 1.4 working and just experimenting with Blender . . . ah well . . . what is our niche again?

Good review. They still complaining about security when GROWL is now in Slacko? One day we will run as Fido . . . :wink:

Can someone sort out a torrent please?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#143 Post by Sage »

Shame those guys keep bashing on about /root, though.
Paranoids can of course run as nobody-in-particular users if only they read the destructions.
For ultimate security, remove HD and run under liveCD using a CD-R ! Bit tedious putting in the settings every time, but nothing to write malware onto.
Guess we need someone to write a little IP-hiding utility. Or, perhaps in the spirit of a nation that really did invent computing, a little code that sends out a spoof IP address?

nooby

#144 Post by nooby »

Sage wrote:Shame those guys keep bashing on about /root, though.
Paranoids can of course run as nobody-in-particular users if only they read the destructions.
For ultimate security, remove HD and run under liveCD using a CD-R ! Bit tedious putting in the settings every time, but nothing to write malware onto.
Guess we need someone to write a little IP-hiding utility. Or, perhaps in the spirit of a nation that really did invent computing, a little code that sends out a spoof IP address?

I don't even know what GROWL is and the spoof IP or any other such trick
would that work in EU now? AFAIK the law require that your ISP keep track
of everything your do. is it 6 month or one year or something before them
delete and start all over? or do them always have the latest 6 month in a kind of loop that delete the oldest to give place for the newest actions?

Anyway the ISP is required to keep track of what IP you have and to try and give you same IP each time your request a new one so it is easy to track.

That is what them write in our idg.se which is a daughter company of PCWorld Mag and similar publishing company. IDG News is part of it too.

So if one spoof the IP that will tell the ISP that one are up to bad bad things?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#145 Post by Lobster »

nooby wrote:I don't even know what GROWL is
Now you do again . . .
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 216#335216

It is available in Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 under Network . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

nooby

#146 Post by nooby »

Ooop sorry I realize I have derailed this one
I am on track with the lost sound thing though
in the Slacko bug thread.

Thanks Lobster, I had forgot all about GROWL.

Clam01 write a good thing below my post in that thread.
Maybe we can continue there then to not derail this one

jpeps

#147 Post by jpeps »

Sage wrote:Shame those guys keep bashing on about /root, though.
Hope that was a typo :)

Anyway. IMHO..when the same criticism keeps surfacing year after year from the linux savvy, there's always the option to put aside one's bias and listen. Perhaps there's a valid point.

I've never run in root. Some apps, like Torr won't even run in root....maybe the programmers are paranoid and ignorant? We are running Linux, not windoz, and there are certain conventions expected...even if you personally might feel using "sudo" is overly challenging. Personally, I like the root/user hybrid combination...since ROX is in root, desktop icons load apps in root anyway (although with a non-root setup that wouldn't be necesssary).

When you mention experiences where the extra level of protection has been helpful on this forum, it's typical to get a response from some newbee like "you need to be careful." I have yet to find users complaining in any other linux distro because it doesn't run in root. End of rant.....

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#148 Post by Lobster »

In any other distro - I run as root. My machine. I choose. :)

Now then . . . been playing again with Openshot 1.4
http://puppylinux.info/topic/openshot-14
. . . it seems I don't need xfce (or KDE)?
What has changed to make this possible? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#149 Post by Lobster »

Well . . . who cares . . .
. . . 5.3.1 promo video created in Openshot 1.4 and Slacko
http://youtu.be/1Kn6ZRDH3vk
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

zekebaby

xorg video - little squares

#150 Post by zekebaby »

Just popped in and tried Slacko on my steam-powered Toughbook CF-T2. Unlike Lucid, video is stable and does not crash randomly. Vesa is solid. Xorg doesn't crash at all, but it's giving me lots of tiny artifacts. Best way to describe it is little squares that obscure the lower half of some random letters. I'll try to play around some more later on and get a good screen shot (if that's possible) and some benchmarks.

This computer seems to be real picky with Xorg and video drivers; my guess is that Slacko is just too modern for this dinosaur. Wary video is and has always been solid, probably due to the fact that Barry uses an older Xorg.

Will test Slacko on a Dell C610 later on as well. Slacko 5.3 runs perfectly on that machine, as does Lucid and Wary.

jim3630

#151 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz's tor pets run in any puppy I've tried. tor browser bundle will run oob in any puppy I've tried with only one character changed in it's code.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71706

tor always changes your ip and you can add this line "ExitNodes {de}" in the tor torrc configuration file to even specify what country {country code}for your ip.

tor does not recommend running as root as it is easy to break it's provided safety by users adding browser addons.

running as root is supported inside tor as seen in the exert of commands below.

"Shell source file that creates wrappers for convenient usage of tor.

This script creates aliases and wrappers for network programs to direct them through the tor (the onion router) network for anonymity. Since 14th December 2005 this is especially useful in the EU. Just source this file from your ~/.bashrc (add the line ’. tor_aliases’) and continue to use your programs as usual.
Currently these commands (not program suites) are ’torified’:
- telnet
- ssh, scp (not slogin, sftp...)
- BitTorrent (the official one, written in python, not BitComet...)
- irssi
- everything that uses the HTTP_PROXY or http_proxy environment variables:
- KDE
- gpg
- wget
- curl
- svn"

Sage

#152 Post by Sage »

5.3.1 -scsi-main is a considerable innovation. Doesn't require an X restart to activate Flash - nice! No problems so far.
Too much BS about /root /user. Agree with Lob - it's my kit, it's my risk. These control freaks should MYOB. Access to root running is mandatory if there's a lot of file manipulation and transfer to undertake and many of the majors, even including post-9 version of Mint, disallow this. Utterly crazy. Are these guys too indolent to bend down and switch off their router?!

DaveS

#153 Post by DaveS »

Indolent... cool. loadsa syllables. Much nicer than 'lazy' :) :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#154 Post by Sage »

Huh! You a mind-reader, DS? Guess which word I chose for the first draft...

nooby

#155 Post by nooby »

I trust them are not lazy, them feel utterly responsible so
allowing us to be root goes against their conscience something.

The way I "install" ubuntu now allow me to do anything even without
doing sudo su or any of that stuff. Okay to reboot I may have to write
sudo reboot but that could be due to me not knowing gnome or kde

nooby

#156 Post by nooby »

Anyway, the lost sound did not happen to me even after
several reboots so I trust it is related to USB and not
frugal install on NTFS hdd.

Sage

#157 Post by Sage »

NTFS? What's that?
Do we have a Sverige spy in our midst?
Min doter har en Puppy PC.
Hej!

8-bit

#158 Post by 8-bit »

I have tried to get Compiz working with Slacko and run into a bind.
I have installed the Nvidia factory driver for my Nvidia GeForce 6150SE card and installed the packages from Brainwavecentral in Mikes directory of compiz.
With a link to get it to recognize a library file, I got xfce4 going.
But when I boot, Compiz never exits the splash screen to xfce4 with xfce4 being up, but evidently behind the compiz splash screen.
I see it momentarily if I exit to a prompt with alt-ctrl-bkspace.
The menu buttons for edit to prompt and restart x server do not work and the reboot one does not either.
I am evidently missing something here.
But I am beginning to wonder if I was trying to use files for Lupu that may be causing me problems.

Could some one that has got compiz and the fancy graphics working in Slacko steer me to the files I would need.

I have not had compiz working since I installed it in Puppy 3.01 on another computer that is now history.

I do not want to download yet another ISO that promises compiz only to find that it was not set up with an Nvidia graphics card.

I have also tried to boot Slacko from a 16gig USB flash drive on a laptop that came with Windows 7 64 bit and evidently something is trying to use the flash drive for extra memory and messing up the boot.
I can boot from a 4gig flash drive without any problem.

But I should also mention that the 4 gig is set up to boot with no menu.lst file and the 16gig is set up to boot multiple puppies using a menu.lst file.

The same 16gig flash drive boots fine on my desktop that has windows vista on one drive and all puppy files on a second hard drive.

01micko

#159 Post by 01micko »

Hi 8-bit

just be careful using lucid packages in Slacko.

I usually open a lucid pet and run an ldd on the bins to see what's already in Slacko.

I see the symlink needed is libpcre.so.3. Be aware that native Slackware libwnck would be better and also the lucid package overwrites libxcb-atom and libxcb-event, refresh them from the ro filesystem.

I'm having a bit of a look at this. Compiz doesn't at all depend on xfce, but jwm is definitely not up to it. Actually, you can run it without specifying a wm, a dummy like rxvt can work, proven by dinky with Ripple, just need a compatible oanel, maybe tint2 would work. We'll see what comes of this eh?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

8-bit

#160 Post by 8-bit »

When I saw that dependency, I just made a system link to libpcre.so.0.0.1. I think I got that name right. but that did get me further.
I also installed mesa, but when I would run the nvidia-settings app, it said it could not find SDL to querry for what was installed.
So I may have to revert to Lupu and give it another try.