Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Geoffrey

#801 Post by Geoffrey »

The issue I had with the sound a month or so ago was I lost the sound after getting my usb headset working, normally I would only have to plug it in to use it with teamspeak3,

as teamspeak would auto detect it, which allowed me to select either sound cards from it's setup, but this time I had to go though the trouble of selecting it in the multiple sound card setup and that didn't work,

so I ran the alsa wizard which seemed to do the job, but on next reboot I had no sound mixer, the strange thing though is the the sound will play using Audacity, I was never able to get the mixer back,

nor would it use the headset and no sound cards show in the multiple card wizard for this reason I'm unable to use 5.2.8,

Sylvander

#802 Post by Sylvander »

Now running the 5th reboot session of test02-lupu-528x and all is still well. :D

Just finished burning:
test03-lupu526x.iso to a CD-RW. [Provided by playdayz in the same PM as above]

Will now run test03 [note that it's lupu526x rather than 528x] in the same manner as test02, and report back with results.

nooby

#803 Post by nooby »

Was it Micko writing that the lost sound can be about having
ext3 or ext3 instead of Fat32 due to some error creeping into the way USB is keeping track of things internally?

I know too little. But maybe we have to do a lot of testing to find out.
I have a free usb to test on and maybe others have too.

So we need some structured way to do it reliably? I can volunteer
to be consistent only using fat32 and others live ext2 or ext3 and we
could compare when the lost sound happen.

I have ext3 formatting on the internal SSD on Asus Eeepc 900 and
fail to really know if it was on that one that I did lose sound.

I did not know at that instance that it was something general and
I thought it was me screwing things up. So I started using old Snow 5
again and abandon both Lupu 528 and Slacko53

But now that Barry wants us to use Slacko as the main puppy distro
then it is important we do get a grip on this sound getting lost thing.

so could some structured person suggest how we can test it together many of us?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sylvander

#804 Post by Sylvander »

@ playdayz

A. Typing this from Firefox-3.6.24 within...
test03-lupu526x [ISO provided in a PM from playdayz]
Dedicated lupusave made on a Flash Drive, using installed Pupsaveconfig-1.9.9.

B. All is looking good, and functioning well. 8)
After 5 reboots, the loudspeaker icon remains present/displayed/functioning. :D

C. I like the gold coloring of the buttons etc.
Makes them very easy to see.
Perhaps some color other than gold would be even better.

ferro10n

Re: Chromium and Chinese Fonts

#805 Post by ferro10n »

otropogo wrote:
ferro10n wrote:
otropogo wrote:
Do you know of any program that will allow you to use a pen tablet device to enter the Chinese characters into a browser or AbiWord?

What happens when you load this sfs. Is it active for just that session, or does it make changes to your 2fs file?

Sorry, I have no idea, I type Chinese and Japanese from my keyboard by SCIM input method and type in AbiWord then copy & paste because my browser doesn't enable the choice of an imput method. And no, loaded SFS files don't disappear at next boot unless you're running from liveCD without pupsave.
Is there a pet for and/or a description of this input method online? I assume you're using it in lupu 5.2.8?

If the loaded sfs file persists (ie. is reloaded automatically on the next boot), as I understand you to say above, how do you remove it or stop it from loading when no longer needed? Or is that something you can do without rebooting, before shutting down?

Also, what happens if puppy can't find the sfs file? Does it hang?
You can remove the SFS file by launching SFS Load on-the-fly, selecting the SFS from the list and clicking "unload". The current session will first be saved, and then you have to wait until the SFS file is removed. You don't need to reboot for changes to take effect, but you may need to restart X. Right-click any text field in a program, if the dialog includes the "Input Methods" option click it and select "SCIM Input Method", then press CTRL + space key and click the button that appears at the bottom right of the screen to choose a language (Chinese, etc.). AbiWord, Gnumeric and Chromium/Chrome/etc. enable the selection of an input method. Um and Puppy won't hang if the SFS file is not found, but you'll get a message like "unable to launch (no such file or directory).

Sorry, I'm afraid this off-topic is taking space from developers trying to fix an important bug. :oops: If you still have any questions please start a new post in the beginners section.
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

playdayz

#806 Post by playdayz »

Now running the 5th reboot session of test02-lupu-528x and all is still well.

test03-lupu526x [ISO provided in a PM from playdayz]
Sylvander, Are things still well? test02-lupu-528x is the best case, if it works, because it is the simplest fix--just changes in 2 files. So that is the one I am rooting for. After so much trouble I am sure you are like me and don't want to get your hopes up. What I did with test03-lupu526x is to go back to lupu-526 and add many of the enhancements from Instant Update 002--so that would be a possible way to proceed *if* test03 fails. Thanks.
I like the gold coloring of the buttons etc.
Makes them very easy to see.
Perhaps some color other than gold would be even better.
if we get this fixed we might celebrate with a new desktop theme ;-)
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#807 Post by ttuuxxx »

I made a small Xscreensaver package on lucid located athttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 971#588971
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

playdayz

#808 Post by playdayz »

I made a small Xscreensaver package on lucid located athttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=588971#588971
ttuuxxx
Thanks ttuuxxx, I passed it on the Sizzlechest who was looking for something like that.

Sylvander

#809 Post by Sylvander »

playdayz wrote:Sylvander, Are things still well? test02-lupu-528x is the best case, if it works, because it is the simplest fix--just changes in 2 files. So that is the one I am rooting for. After so much trouble I am sure you are like me and don't want to get your hopes up. What I did with test03-lupu526x is to go back to lupu-526 and add many of the enhancements from Instant Update 002--so that would be a possible way to proceed *if* test03 fails. Thanks.
(a) Regarding test02-lupu-528x, it was working well, and I feel sure it will continue to do so when I go back to using it once more.

(b) I stopped after reboot-6 of test02-lupu-528x to move on to try test03-lupu526x, which is now at reboot-13 [from where I type this], and working well.

(c) I'll now go back to working in test02-lupu-528x, and report back on how it's continuing to perform.

2. I should perhaps mention that I've cut corners a little, as follows:
(a) Instead of my normal arrangement of making the config change to ataflash in the isolinux.cfg file in the ISO, and using it with a lupusave file on an internal HDD...
I simply used a lupusave file on a REAL Flash Drive.
It shouldn't make any difference surely? What do you think?

(b) I also didn't bother to go so far as to make this change to the rc.shutdown file.
Instead, I'm using the shut-down choice arrangement provided by the Pupsaveconfig-1.9.9 program.

(c) If you'd like, I can go the whole way, and use my normal arrangements, just to make sure they don't introduce any problems.

fuzzy

USB sound

#810 Post by fuzzy »

I'm using an IBM R52 Laptop and I've had sound
problems like Sylvander.
I down loaded and installed 'test 2, 528X' and it's
working great.
I use JWN and the 'speaker icon' stays between the
green save space, icon and the red CPU, icon.

I've been using it for 3 days, now.
It's working great.

shinobar

Disappearing sound?

#811 Post by shinobar »

i don't know fuzzy's case, but Barry pointed out that the problem occurs when no save at shutdown.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02623
EDIT: i cannot find the code deleting /dev/snd in the rc.shutdown in woof. But as Barry comments, there are lines in the rc.sysinit:

Code: Select all

rm -f /dev/mixer 2>/dev/null #110113 make sure removed, see test in /etc/init.d/10alsa. 
rm -f /dev/snd/* #110304 after a reboot, some of these may be wrong.
These code may be a help for the sound module recognition(relating with the 10alsa) but seems not solve the whiteout problem.

I think the snapmergepuppy still need to update to allow no save and also for the sake of potential problem other than sound. My treating /dev and rerwin's treating whiteout in the test-2 iso shall solve them.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rincon155

Keyboard problem with Puppy 5.2.8

#812 Post by rincon155 »

This is to comment about a keyboard problem surely related to software that happened with my Puppy Linux 5.2.8. I use Puppy from the CD, and a lupu-file in HDD. My Puppy 5.2.8 is the original download plus update 002. Up to this point Puppy was working very well without any problem at all.
What happened is that I turned on my PC with the Puppy CD, and immediately proceeded to install Chromium. Once I did it, when I tried to use the keyboard, it did not respond.
I checked cables and connections, and everything was in order. Then I decided to reboot to my HDD Distro: PCLinuxOS LXDE 2011-09, and the keyboard was fine. Then reboot with my old Puppy 5.2 CD, and again, the keyboard was fine. Then, once more I rebooted with Puppy 5.2.8 and the keyboard was dead.
After that I rebooted with Slacko 5.3 CD and keyboard was ok.
Then I used Puppy 5.2.8 update 003 CD, rebooted, and keyboard didn't respond.
With this Puppy version functioning I uninstalled several packages, rebooted and the problem persisted.
I posted this problem in a thread "Is it possible to re-enable keyboard?" (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 077#589077) In which I received the suggestion to post in this thread.
I consider myself a Linux newbie, with user experience of 18 months with Ubuntu 10.04, Puppy Linux 5.2, 5.2.8 and PCLinuxOS LXDE 2011-09. I understand that participants in this thread are knowledgeable in Linux and in particular with Puppy. So if this report is of any help for further improvements in Puppy, I'll be very happy.
In my specific case, now that I tried Slacko 5.3, I'll move to it. Meanwhile I'll keep my Puppy 5.2.8 just in case any of you indicate me to apply any suggestion you might have related to the keyboard problem. Thank you.
Registered Linux User # 54726, LupuLibre and LupuSuper4 5.2.8.6, Precise 5.7.1, LightHouse Mariner 64-6.02-B2

shinobar

Re: Keyboard problem with Puppy 5.2.8

#813 Post by shinobar »

How much have you made the size of lupusave? It may easily filled up.
Standard size is 512MB, but it may not be enough for chromium.
Some informations:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 721#468721
rincon155 wrote:Then I used Puppy 5.2.8 update 003 CD
After 'boot:' is displayed, type 'pfix=ram' to avoid using the old lupusave.
Then shutdown to create new upusave.
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 14 Dec 2011, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

shinobar

#814 Post by shinobar »

Dupe... Deleted.

Sylvander

#815 Post by Sylvander »

A. Posting this from test02-lupu-528x after Reboot-11.

All is looking good, and working well. :D 8)

B. Steps completed so far:
1. Enable firewall.
2. Switch to JWM.
3. Install Pupsaveconfig-1.9.9
4. Make lupusave & Reboot-1.
5. Configure: Pinboard = medium.
6. Switch to JWM & restart-X.
7. Configure choices in Retrovol.
8. Change desktop icons.
9. Click "Save" & Reboot-2 [it auto-saved at shut-down, no choice offered]
10. Installed xfe-1.32.2-lucid52.
11. Click "Save" & Reboot-3 [auto-saved, no choice]
12. Installed Firefox-3.6.13-lucid, updated to 3.6.24.
13. Configured 0 save interval in Pupsaveconfig.
14. Click "Save" & Reboot-4, chose "Save" at shut-down.
15. Installed Parcellite-0.9.3-lucid.
16. Click "Save" & Reboot-5, chose "Save" at shut-down.
17. Click "Save" & Reboot-6, chose "Save" at shut-down.
18. Reboot-7, no saves.
19. Installed smm-1.0rc1.
20. Click "Save"& Reboot-8, no save at shut-down.
21. Installed Flashplayer-10.3.183.5-lucid.
22. Installed Flashplayer-10.3.181.34-lucid.
23. Click "Save" & Reboot-9, save at shut-down failed to complete, power-off & pfix=fsck at next boot.
24. Reboot-10, no saves.
25. Installed Firefox add-ons = Addblock+ and its popup blocked, Betterprivacy, Flashblock, Ghostery, Easy YouTube Video Downloader.
26. Click "Save" and Reboot-11.

playdayz

#816 Post by playdayz »

What happened is that I turned on my PC with the Puppy CD, and immediately proceeded to install Chromium. Once I did it, when I tried to use the keyboard, it did not respond.
rincon155, Sometimes that happens to me, that the keyboard is not recognized. This is what I do--I unplug the USB cable from the keyboard to the computer and plug it back in to a different USB port. That always fixes it for me, although very occasionally I might have to do it twice. I do not know how installing Chromium could cause that problem, but you might uninstall it and see if that changes anything. Finally, just in case the lupusave file got corrupted you might do what shinobar recommends in the message above. I recommend that you use the browser pets made for Lucid--although it usually works to install the binary released by the browser publishers. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 868#584868
i don't know fuzzy's case,
shinobar, fuzzy is reporting that using test02-lupu528x.iso is solving the problem with usb-flash/sound disappearing. test02-lupu528x has the fix that you posted on p.52 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 750#587750 Sylvander is also reporting that using test02-lupu-528x he has rebooted 11 times without losing sound. Thanks. BTW, i still intend to work on ffmpeg/ffconvert when the usb-flash/sound issue is settled.

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 14 Dec 2011, 16:33, edited 3 times in total.

Sylvander

#817 Post by Sylvander »

test02-lupu-528x

I've now rebooted 14 times and all's well. :D 8)

rincon155

#818 Post by rincon155 »

shinobar wrote:How much have you made the size of lupusave? It may easily filled up.
Standard size is 512MB, but it may not be enough for chromium.
Some informations:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 721#468721
rincon155 wrote:Then I used Puppy 5.2.8 update 003 CD
After 'boot:' is displayed, type 'pfix=ram' to avoid using the old lupusave.
Then shutdown to create new upusave.
Thank you shinobar for your post. My lupusave is 2.95 Gb. I will uninstall other packages to see if this solve the problem and if not I'll create a new lupusave.
Registered Linux User # 54726, LupuLibre and LupuSuper4 5.2.8.6, Precise 5.7.1, LightHouse Mariner 64-6.02-B2

shinobar

#819 Post by shinobar »

@rincon155
Is your keyboard PS/2 or USB?
How about at the prompt(without X)? i mean Menu>>Shutdown>>Exit to prompt.

If you can use mouse, you can see the logs after boot.
Such as /tmp/bootkernel.log, /var/log/Xorg.0.log...

Sylvander

#820 Post by Sylvander »

test02-lupu-528x
Still looking good and working well. :D 8)

A. Now up to Step:
49. Reboot-18 to Wary-522, moved Lupusave to a folder in an ext3 partition on the 2nd internal HDD.

B. Now booting using a CD-RW disk made using test02-lupu-528x-ataflash.iso
To make this I added "pmedia=ataflash" setting to the "isolinux.cfg" file included in the test02-lupu-528x.iso file.
This treats the lupusave file on the HDD as though it's a lupusave on a Flash Drive.

C. This Lupu [from my point of view], is now in a fully completed build state.
All desirable/needed packages have been installed, and configurations and code changes made.

D. Only thing I can detect that isn't as I'd like:
Pwidgets Calendar: The present day is not highlighted. :(
Last edited by Sylvander on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.