Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goolwa_pup

Chromium and Chinese Fonts

#781 Post by goolwa_pup »

Hi all, I just downloaded chromium 16 lucid pet and cannot read chinese fonts (which I have installed in /usr/share/fonts). I can read chinese fonts on windows with chromium and I can read chinese on firefox in puppy 528? As I prefer chromium is there an easy fix so I can read chinese in chromium in puppy 528?

PS. I have set Chromium to UTF8 encoding to no avail

ferro10n

Re: Chromium and Chinese Fonts

#782 Post by ferro10n »

goolwa_pup wrote:Hi all, I just downloaded chromium 16 lucid pet and cannot read chinese fonts (which I have installed in /usr/share/fonts). I can read chinese fonts on windows with chromium and I can read chinese on firefox in puppy 528? As I prefer chromium is there an easy fix so I can read chinese in chromium in puppy 528?

Try shinobar's langpack_all SFS (68MB) or langpack_CJK SFS (39MB). You'll be able to see Chinese characters in Chromium and other programs. You'll also be able to type Chinese characters in both AbiWord and Gnumeric, or any aplication that enables the selection of an input method. You don't need to change the system language to Chinese to see and type Chinese characters.

See also the SFS Load on-the-fly aplication, also by shinobar. It's already included in Lucid Puppy 5.28 and Slacko 5.3 (Menu > Setup > Setup Puppy > SFS Load on-the-fly)
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

shinobar

chinese font

#783 Post by shinobar »

I have no knowledge on the font setting of chromium, but as for the fonts, you can use the fonts on your windows using the winfonts.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53044
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mavrothal

#784 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:mavrothal, There is a new lupu_devx_528-4.sfs with /usr/share/libtool/config.guess. Thanks.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... _528-4.sfs
bf14b9eea9d67ad2f58dd11dc15832f7 lupu_devx_528-4.sfs
NOT Found in iBiblio (though the link is there).
Mirrors do not even have the file and wget says

Code: Select all

# wget -c http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu_devx_528-4.sfs
--2011-12-10 11:49:50--  http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu_devx_528-4.sfs
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org... 152.19.134.43
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org|152.19.134.43|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2011-12-10 11:49:51 ERROR 404: Not Found.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

shinobar

Re: Lupu 5.2.8 Instant Update 002 patch-4

#785 Post by shinobar »

rerwin wrote:Here is a significant fix for USB flash-drive installations. It corrects the management of whiteout files, to avoid upsetting the layered file system (aufs/unionfs).
snapmergepuppy:
i suppose rerwin's patch-4 should work good enough to avoid the whiteout issue.
I merged rerwin's code in my previous one. But i did not include skipping auto save because it is better to be managed by the pup_event_frontend_d.

10alsa:
i think my idea managing the /etc/asound.state is nice because the current woof code has no way to recover the wrong asound.state.
I have not merged the rerwin's code because of the backward compatibility for puppies which have not modprobe.d.

I have updated my code merging rerwin's.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=768

playdayz

#786 Post by playdayz »

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... _528-4.sfs
bf14b9eea9d67ad2f58dd11dc15832f7 lupu_devx_528-4.sfs

NOT Found in iBiblio (though the link is there).
It is there now mavrothal. Thanks for checking. Every time I have to change permissions on an sfs--you would think I would remember by now.
I have updated my code merging rerwin's.
Thank you shinobar, rerwin is working on patch-5 which merges your code and his, so I will make sure he sees your latest message.
I have not merged the rerwin's code because of the backward compatibility for puppies which have not modprobe.d.
shinobar, I see: You want to make a fix that will work for earlier Puppies, but would you do it differently if we only had to worry about Lucid? Fixing Lucid is our top priority and then perhaps you could post a fix for earlier Puppies???

In general, since shinobar and rerwin are both working on this, I want to give time so that they can compare notes.

shinobar

earlier Puppies

#787 Post by shinobar »

playdayz wrote:shinobar, I see: You want to make a fix that will work for earlier Puppies, but would you do it differently if we only had to worry about Lucid? Fixing Lucid is our top priority and then perhaps you could post a fix for earlier Puppies???
Sorry but i am planning to back port them to Puppy-4.3.1.
Of course i believe it also fixes the Lucid and Puppy-5.x.

goolwa_pup

Chinese fonts and Chromium

#788 Post by goolwa_pup »

Thanx for the heads up ferro10n and shinobar ...

will try the sfs pack and see how that goes.....(when I get back from squidding ;)

Cheers

rerwin

Flash-drive package & save procedures & rerwin patch-5

#789 Post by rerwin »

playdayz, et al,
I have spent the past 3 days immersed in the snapmergepuppy world. After playdayz pointed me to Barry's blog item about moving the removal of the /dev/snd files from shutdown to the initialization script in initrd.gz, I investigated simulating that without having to have someone update initrd.gz. I think I succeeded except possibly for the issue of terminating a session without letting puppy save at shutdown time.

In the process, I further straightened out the whiteout management, added a new init script, 00alsa-flash, that removes whiteouts for all /dev/snd files that get generated at bootup. This exercise was to "play by the rules", in that a file is represented by either the file itself or a whiteout file, but not both. The init script corrects that situation before the ALSA function starts using the files. This cleanup should remove the possibility that our problems stem from trying to fool the layered file system.

As part of testing, I made a few "user friendliness" fixes, which involved working with the install and uninstall processes. From that I concluded that the major risk to system integrity is the changing of packages! They must be sequenced with "saving" in a particular way, to avoid losing either an update or an uninstall:
  • - The key factor is that the first "save" of each session saves everything in the top (RAM file system) layer to the "save layer" on a flash drive. Subsequent "saves" write only the files with timestamps later than those of the already saved files.
    - Installation of packages places the new files directly into the save layer and sets their timestamps to the current time, leaving any older versions intact in the top layer, so the operational system may be a mix of old and new files for the remainder of the session!
    - Uninstallation of packages copies the original "pup layer" versions of files to the top layer, replacing the package versions, but leaves in place the package files in the "save layer". The set of files in operation is all old/original files.
So, how does that all play with choosing when to do a "save"?
  • - To uninstall a package and "have it stick", after a fresh bootup, immediately make all uninstalls, then do the first "save" of the session -- or reboot and let the save take place.
    - To install packages, after a fresh boot-up, immediately perform a "save", that would overwrite any new files placed in the save layer. Then install the package(s) and immediately reboot so that a second "save" is done, which will not overwrite the new file versions but could result in an inconsistent operational system (with a mix of old and new files). The reboot avoids running with the mix of versions.
    - To uninstall and reinstall packages within the same session, do a "save" and then both procedures, then reboot and save.
If these rules are not followed, troubleshooting could become a "wild goose chase", because the file versions may be inconsistent. Please follow these constraints.

Now to the patch package, which has notable improvements beyond the whiteout cleanup:
  • - The option controlling the saving supports all 3 ways of installing to a flash drive.
    - The functioning of the "save" icon (to trigger a save) is restored and no longer refuses to run after the package manager has run, although its normal operation is to wait until certain programs have terminated.
    - The xerrs.log "merge" message now includes the time the save operation occurred.
    - Corrects removal of files /pinstall.sh and /pet.specs so that they remain removed across reboots -- after a package install, they would reappear in subsequent sessions.
    - Includes shinobar's 10alsa changes to store the ALSA configuration, but not the snapmergepuppy mods because I use an altogether different approach.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-5.pet
Cumulative of patches 1-5. Install ONLY after at least one "save" is done in flash-drive installations,
and after any previous "rerwin_patch" package has been uninstalled.
(108 KiB) Downloaded 479 times

otropogo

#790 Post by otropogo »

ferro10n wrote:
goolwa_pup wrote:Hi all, I just downloaded chromium 16 lucid pet and cannot read chinese fonts (which I have installed in /usr/share/fonts). I can read chinese fonts on windows with chromium and I can read chinese on firefox in puppy 528? As I prefer chromium is there an easy fix so I can read chinese in chromium in puppy 528?

Try shinobar's langpack_all SFS (68MB) or langpack_CJK SFS (39MB). You'll be able to see Chinese characters in Chromium and other programs. You'll also be able to type Chinese characters in both AbiWord and Gnumeric, or any aplication that enables the selection of an input method. You don't need to change the system language to Chinese to see and type Chinese characters.
Do you know of any program that will allow you to use a pen tablet device to enter the Chinese characters into a browser or AbiWord?
See also the SFS Load on-the-fly aplication, also by shinobar. It's already included in Lucid Puppy 5.28 and Slacko 5.3 (Menu > Setup > Setup Puppy > SFS Load on-the-fly)
What happens when you load this sfs. Is it active for just that session, or does it make changes to your 2fs file?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

mavrothal

Re: Flash-drive package & save procedures & rerwin patch-5

#791 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote:So, how does that all play with choosing when to do a "save"?
  • - To uninstall a package and "have it stick", after a fresh bootup, immediately make all uninstalls, then do the first "save" of the session -- or reboot and let the save take place.
    - To install packages, after a fresh boot-up, immediately perform a "save", that would overwrite any new files placed in the save layer. Then install the package(s) and immediately reboot so that a second "save" is done, which will not overwrite the new file versions but could result in an inconsistent operational system (with a mix of old and new files). The reboot avoids running with the mix of versions.
    - To uninstall and reinstall packages within the same session, do a "save" and then both procedures, then reboot and save.
If these rules are not followed, troubleshooting could become a "wild goose chase", because the file versions may be inconsistent. Please follow these constraints.
I probably miss something, but it would appear to me that adding a snapmerge step before and after a package installation or removal, in pupmode 7|13, takes care of these issues.
If indeed this is the case, then patching PPM accordingly should eliminate version mixup without any user input.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

shinobar

Re: Flash-drive package & save procedures

#792 Post by shinobar »

I have posted a fix of the petget(PPM).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64708
UPDATED: petget-20111130.pet
  1. Sync with the recent woof(18 Nov 2011) except ziggy interface.
  2. Fix the menu was reverted to English at install/uninstall
  3. Always show splash to avoid to be silent
  4. Avoid in some kernels(slacko/dpup) and some hardware got freeze under PUPMODE=13
  5. Avoid was messing up with save interval=0 under PUPMODE=13
But needs more investigation on saving files directly in the save layer ...

playdayz

#793 Post by playdayz »

i am planning to back port them to Puppy-4.3.1.
Of course i believe it also fixes the Lucid and Puppy-5.x.
I understand shinobar. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

===>> Here is another iso for testing regards the issue with usb flash drive installs losing sound. This one implements shinobar's proposed fix from the previous page. There is no reason to test it unless you have the issue.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/test02-lupu-528x.iso
cb9dda58a55b74a12e13ba1917fb8771

===>> Another Lupu for testing regards the disappearing sound with usb installs. This is lupu-526 with many of the updates from 5.2.8 applied.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/test03-lupu-526x.iso
220da4554f217f67fba139add7f917b9
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 23:13, edited 3 times in total.

ferro10n

#794 Post by ferro10n »

otropogo wrote:
Do you know of any program that will allow you to use a pen tablet device to enter the Chinese characters into a browser or AbiWord?

What happens when you load this sfs. Is it active for just that session, or does it make changes to your 2fs file?

Sorry, I have no idea, I type Chinese and Japanese from my keyboard by SCIM-ANTHY input method and type in AbiWord then copy & paste because my browser doesn't enable the choice of an imput method. And no, loaded SFS files don't disappear at next boot unless you're running from liveCD without pupsave.
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

otropogo

INTERMITTENT ntfs-3g error in 5.2.8 NOT Racy 5.2.2

#795 Post by otropogo »

My use of lupu 5.2.8 for backup purposes is fatally compromised by the persistence of an Intermittent refusal to mount ntfs drives on the USB port (both USB2 and USB3 except in READ ONLY mode.

The error message is as follows:
The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS partion
and returned this error message:

fuse:mountpoint is not empty
fuse:if you are sure this is safe, use the "nonempty" mount option

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only
The "use" instruction is illusory, as the drive is then mounted read-only without any input from the user.

Strangely, this only happens intermittently.

For example, I just tried it with two nfts-formated drives on the USB2 port of my desktop machine, and both drives mounted with this error message. I then moved them to the USB3 port on my laptop, and one mounted normally, without an error message, and not read only, while the other mounted only read-only, after evoking the error message.

Sometimes, unplugging and replugging the USB cable makes the stricken drive writable, more often, the drive disappears and can't be mounted again without rebooting.

Just now I moved the larger read-only drive to the USB2 port, and it remainded ro. I then switched it with the smaller drive. The smaller drive then became ro, while the larger was now writable.

I moved the smaller drive back to the USB3 port, and it wasn't detected at all. Unmounted and remounted the larger drive several times on USB3 without issues, then moved it to the USB2 port again, and now it would only mount ro!

After a few more moves, neither drive was detected anymore by pmount.

Both my desktop and my laptop have internal ntfs partitions, and the laptop's is the Puppy home partition (I boot only from LiveCD, and the 2fs files are on the ntfs partition). None of the internal ntfs partitions on either PC have ever been affected by this issue.

The two affected external USB drives are both Seagates, one a 3TB USB3, the other a 320GB USB2 (which I run on either the USB3 or USB2 port via a SATA-USB3 adapter).

When I initially reported this problem, IIRC, it was suggested that it might be due to the size of the drive, or the size of the partition, but the fact that the 320GB drive is equally affected eliminates that possibility.

Another suggestion was that partitioning the 3TB with Gparted is the cause is also eliminated, because the smaller drive has never had it's file format modified from the original configuration. And the 3TB only had its 3TB partition resized down to 2TB with Gparted.

Most significantly, this error message/read-only mount problem hasn't occurred with either drive under Racy 5.2.2.
Attachments
ntfs-3gerror_ro.png
(41.91 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

otropogo

#796 Post by otropogo »

ferro10n wrote:
otropogo wrote:

Sorry, I have no idea, I type Chinese and Japanese from my keyboard by SCIM-ANTHY input method and type in AbiWord then copy & paste because my browser doesn't enable the choice of an imput method. And no, loaded SFS files don't disappear at next boot unless you're running from liveCD without pupsave.
Is there a pet for and/or a description of this input method online? I assume you're using it in lupu 5.2.8?

If the loaded sfs file persists (ie. is reloaded automatically on the next boot), as I understand you to say above, how do you remove it or stop it from loading when no longer needed? Or is that something you can do without rebooting, before shutting down?

Also, what happens if puppy can't find the sfs file? Does it hang?

bigpup

#797 Post by bigpup »

Lost sound issue.

Here is a post in the Slacko 5.3 bug topic about lost sound.
Seems to be related to problems in Lucid 528.
Something in common between the two versions?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 564#588564
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

shinobar

Re: Lost sound issue

#798 Post by shinobar »

bigpup wrote:Lost sound issue.

Here is a post in the Slacko 5.3 bug topic about lost sound.
Seems to be related to problems in Lucid 528.
Something in common between the two versions?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 564#588564
Of course yes. It is an issue of the woof.
Rerwin and i suspect the snapmergepuppy and 10alsa.

Sylvander

#799 Post by Sylvander »

@ playdayz & shinobar

A. Typing this from Firefox-3.6.24 within...
test02-lupu-528x [ISO provided in a PM from playdayz]
Lupusave made on a Flash Drive, using installed Pupsaveconfig-1.9.9.

B. All is looking good, and functioning well.
After 4 reboots, the loudspeaker icon remains present/displayed/functioning.

C. One small and temprary glitch:
I installed xfe-1.32.2-lucid52 from the PPM.
At the end of the 1st install, it looped into a 2nd install sequence, and completed at the end of the 2nd, with 2 entries in the PPM.
I uninstalled the 2nd entry and both were removed from the PPM.
Re-installed xfe, and 2nd time around, all was well, with normal install and only one entry.

D. If needed...
Can provide a detailed list of steps completed so far.

bigpup

#800 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote: C. One small and temprary glitch:
I installed xfe-1.32.2-lucid52 from the PPM.
At the end of the 1st install, it looped into a 2nd install sequence, and completed at the end of the 2nd, with 2 entries in the PPM.
I uninstalled the 2nd entry and both were removed from the PPM.
Re-installed xfe, and 2nd time around, all was well, with normal install and only one entry.
This could have been caused by simply hitting the OK button more than once, by accident, when you ran the pet install.

In PPM.
If you uninstall a package, that has more than one entry, of the same exact name.
Both entries will be removed.
Normal operation. Usually means package got installed twice.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)