Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
Bert

#321 Post by Bert »

01micko wrote:Bert, re chromium add ons. That would have to be a chromium bug eh? In that version I guess, I'm leaving the older ones available in slick and PPM anyways.
Yes, you're right micko, just tried Chromium 16: no problem with the extensions.

On the other hand I have the same Chromium 17 in Lucid on another box with extensions working normally... :roll:

Chromium 17 feels faster than 16.
Thanks.
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

Iguleder

#322 Post by Iguleder »

Even more packages!

I wrote build scripts for:
- Shed, my favorite hex editor - sort of an interactive hexdump with a nano-like interface
- tty-clock, a digital clock
- Surfraw, a search engine frontend written by Julian_Assange, which makes it kinda problematic, since this guy got arrested.
- dtach, a tool that lets you "detach" an application and attach to it later
- rTorrent, the best BitTorrent client on the planet. I'm thinking of replacing aria2 with this one, since the latter is in the repository thanks to its BitTorrent capabilities. The only reason rTorrent isn't included in the repository is the trouble I'm having with getting to build against a static libtorrent.

These require some testing; once they're ready, I'll add them to the repository.

EDIT: all packages up; I decided to use a shared libtorrent eventually.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Q5sys

#323 Post by Q5sys »

Iguleder wrote:Note 1: all packages are installed in /opt, since they are "unofficial"; I don't want them to conflict with built-in packages. To make them work, add "/opt/lib" to /etc/ld.so.conf and edit /etc/profile, so /opt/bin is present in the PATH variable.
I've often wondered why we in the Puppy Linux Community havent embraced the /opt standard for add-on software. When I've compiled stuff I never bothered to mess with it because it seemed that no one else cared. I think Im going to follow your lead and start building things to reside there.

Any chance we could get a greater consensus on this from the community as a whole? I think if we were able to get enough on board... perhaps we could get future releases to be auto setup with the proper PATH variables, etc.

Aitch

#324 Post by Aitch »

I agree, and I'm sure Joe/big_bass and aragon will too

Aitch :)

01micko

#325 Post by 01micko »

Q5sys wrote:
Iguleder wrote:Note 1: all packages are installed in /opt, since they are "unofficial"; I don't want them to conflict with built-in packages. To make them work, add "/opt/lib" to /etc/ld.so.conf and edit /etc/profile, so /opt/bin is present in the PATH variable.
I've often wondered why we in the Puppy Linux Community havent embraced the /opt standard for add-on software. When I've compiled stuff I never bothered to mess with it because it seemed that no one else cared. I think Im going to follow your lead and start building things to reside there.

Any chance we could get a greater consensus on this from the community as a whole? I think if we were able to get enough on board... perhaps we could get future releases to be auto setup with the proper PATH variables, etc.
Yep I agree. I can mod /etc/profile and whack in a test for /opt/bin:opt/sbin and add them to PATH and test for /opt/lib for LD_LIBRARY_PATH.. but... we have to decide on a standard.. will it be /opt/bin:/opt/sbin, opt/lib, or will it be /opt/usr/bin:/usr/sbin, /opt/usr/lib? I expect --prefix=/opt would be good enough keeping --sysconfdir=/etc, and --localstatedir=/var.

EDIT: Actually, is there a need for the test? It should be standard anyways. PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH don't seem to mind if /usr/games doesn't exist and that's been in PATH for awhile now. Looks like I've decided.. :P

Q5sys: crossover posting.. :lol: .. read above
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 10 Dec 2011, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.

Q5sys

#326 Post by Q5sys »

Aitch wrote:I agree, and I'm sure Joe/big_bass and aragon will too

Aitch :)
In an effort to keep this thread on slacko on topic... i've created a thread HERE where we can debate /opt further.

ravensrest

#327 Post by ravensrest »

Whenever I boot Slacko53, I get this error message:
kernel hardware error no human readable mce decoding support on this cpu type
It does not effect the boot process or the operation of the computer. It is not present when I boot any of my other 8 operating systems; in particular, it is not present with Lucid528 or Racy522.

I found this on the web:
This is pretty much a bug in newer Linux kernels. They print this message on every corrected error, even though it's useless and also the decoding into the kernel log is not very useful because mcelog can aggregate the information much better. This is fixed with this patch
To apply to a kernel: download raw patch , cd kernel source, patch -p1 < patchfile, recompile.
I do not have the talent to do the patch myself, but thought I should report it. Otherwise, Slacko53 is one of the two best Puppy distros I've ever used.

BS

01micko

#328 Post by 01micko »

ravensrest

Thanks of the report.. which kernel? 2.6.37.6 or 2.6.39.4?
It's too late for a kernel recompile now as that is what's needed, but this will make it's way into future versions unless the patch is taken on upstream by kernel.org then it will be standard.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rodin.s

distortion sound in mplayer

#329 Post by rodin.s »

I have a strange sound distortion in mplayer in pupradio while listening to vprbbc (6). It doesn't happen in Racy-5.2.2.

01micko

#330 Post by 01micko »

I have a strange sound distortion in mplayer in pupradio while listening to vprbbc (6). It doesn't happen in Racy-5.2.2.
Me too :? ..However vpr classical is perfect, same server, same protocol, codec etc.

This does not occur if you use Xine (with playdaz xine-lib-1.1.20), plays perfectly, and it's the only station which shows the distortion.

MinHundHettePerro

#331 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

Catching up ...........

The K2.6.39.4(PAE), was it compiled by you or originally by BK? The reason I ask is that (now, quite) a while ago I attempted to recompile it with the only compile-time change as to make it non-PAE; wouldn't even boot :shock:.

Yes, I do run the K2.6.39.4 slackos, due to highly(?) improved graphics compared to K2.6.37 - yes, BROOKDALE, but would, just for the sake of it , like to run this, more modern kernel, in a non-PAE fashion.

Cheers :)/ MHHP (still in spup5297plus, just about to go 5.3.0.1)
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

01micko

#332 Post by 01micko »

The K2.6.39.4(PAE), was it compiled by you or originally by BK? The reason I ask is that (now, quite) a while ago I attempted to recompile it with the only compile-time change as to make it non-PAE; wouldn't even boot
Me. The DOTconfig is in /etc/modules, I guess you know :)

I compiled in a full install using BK's exact instruction for 2.6.39.4 but I altered the kernel configuration to add some scsi drivers suggested by tempestuous and something else I forget, anyways you can diff mine as is to BK's. PAE should be easy to turn off. BTW, I use Xconfig as my full install of the early alpha 130 or sumthing (:shock: ) is still rock solid with kde4 and I'm lazy! It's had a about 10 different kernels :shock: :shock: , each worked ok, except an early attempt where I did something realy, really stoopid (re some thread by l0wt3ch, too lazy to find link :roll: )

Cheers!
Attachments
DOTconfig-2.6.39.4.gz
(25.68 KiB) Downloaded 743 times

MinHundHettePerro

#333 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Ta, just wanted to make sure... :).

Yes, I re-compiled it non-PAEing your DOTconfig and http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... atched.sfs, must have been a hiccup here on my side ...

Cheers :)/ MHHP

01micko

#334 Post by 01micko »

TBH I've never tried compiling from the sfs sources. I always get pristine from kernel.org and do it the hard way.

MinHundHettePerro

#335 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Took the lazy way out ... :)

Didn't want to find, and apply, all the patches.....

Cheers :)/ MHHP

aikidave

Sound problem with Slacko

#336 Post by aikidave »

Hi. I downloaded Slacko and created a bootable USB stick. I am using it on an older laptop without a hard drive. When I first booted with Slacko, the sound worked fine on the computer. At some point the sound stopped working. The volume control disappeared from the bottom of the screen. I deleted Slacko from the stick and created another bootable version on the stick. When I used this on the laptop, the sound worked fine initially but then after some time it stopped working again.
Anyone experienced this on their machines?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

01micko

#337 Post by 01micko »

hi aikidave,

Does this happen on second boot or several after? The answer to this is critical.

I ask this because sound is reconfigured on every boot so should be consistent. It may be that some file system corruption has crept in. What type of filesystem is on the root of the stick? FAT32 is ok but I prefer ext2 linux. It does seem more robust and is a maintained technology.

bigpup

#338 Post by bigpup »

01micko,

Lost sound is in heavy troubleshooting in the Lucid Puppy 528 topic. Same type problems are happening, as stated above. It starts on around page 40 of topic.
You can look at last 3 or 4 pages, of topic, for latest discussions. Your ideas needed.
It seems, Lucid 528, is not the only version of Puppy, having these lost sound issues.
Does seem to be tied to USB devices.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 845#582845

About format of a USB stick.
Some computers will not boot from a USB stick formatted in any Linux format. It has to be Vfat. It is a bios thing. I have one.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Billtoo

Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

#339 Post by Billtoo »

I burned the iso to a DVD+RW.
I installed the devx and kernel source sfs with SFS-Load on-the-fly.
I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver.

Mon 12 Dec 2011 Operating System: Slacko Puppy-5.3.1 Linux 2.6.39.4
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84
[GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Core 0: 1603 1: 1603 2: 1603 3: 1603 MHz
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 8310MB (254MB used)
# glxgears
50389 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10077.775 FPS
50443 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10088.429 FPS
50403 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10080.398 FPS

I borrowed an icon set from Saluki because it matches my holiday
wallpaper :)

Everything seems to be working well.
Attachments
531scrn.jpg
(150.99 KiB) Downloaded 4561 times

tempestuous

#340 Post by tempestuous »

01micko wrote:I altered the kernel configuration to add some scsi drivers suggested by tempestuous
Yes, I see this in your new kernel configuration -

Code: Select all

CONFIG_FUSION=y
CONFIG_FUSION_SPI=m
CONFIG_FUSION_FC=m
CONFIG_FUSION_SAS=m
This will generate 3 new "Fusion MPT" SCSI drivers:
mptspi
mptfc
mptsas

Very cool, Dell PowerEdge users should be very happy.
I have just mentioned this new feature in the forum post about SCSI support, here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 699#588699

I should point out that these 3 new drivers are kernel modules. This means that Fusion MPT interfaces will only be accessible after Puppy has booted, so you will still need to boot Puppy from a "conventional" interface (IDE, SATA, USB) and then just use drives connected to Fusion MPT interfaces as secondary drives.

Would it be possible to boot from a Fusion MPT interface? Yes, but that would require either the drivers were built directly into the Puppy kernel image, or alternatively that the new kernel modules were included in Puppy's initial ramdisk.
This is extra work, for another day.