pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
disciple

#1581 Post by disciple »

Flash wrote:I wonder if all this confusion about volumes and sessions could explain why multisession Puppy disks sometimes won't boot after saving the first session. If I remember correctly, this mostly seems to happen to laptops.
I've seen comments that:
- some drives just don't handle multisession media... or at least don't boot from it.
- the way multisession disks work is by tradition - it is not defined in the spec.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gcmartin

#1582 Post by gcmartin »

disciple wrote:What is a "screen pet"?
Is there such thing as a "multi-session ISO"? Do you mean a multi-session disk? Pburn can do this. It uses growisofs. You just need to use the "import session" feature I referred to above.
Thanks Disciple for pointing out how my post semantics could be a bit confusing.

But, my question is requesting if there exist a PET which presents a form which will add folders/files to an existing multi-session disk that was created by Pburn.

And, it not, I was also wondering if there might be an add-on to Pburn that might exist to provide this. (Similar to what we get with many of the Windows products. This, though, is not a comparison. This is a request if something like this exist in Puppyland.)

Hope this makes things a bit more clear.

Thanks for your Right-Click idea.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1583 Post by Flash »

disciple wrote:I've seen comments that:
- the way multisession disks work is by tradition - it is not defined in the spec.
As I understand it, multisession was not in the original CD specification but was in the original DVD specification. It was added to the CD specification after CD burners became available and people realized it was possible to do. At first, every CD burner manufacturer had their own way to do it.

disciple

#1584 Post by disciple »

gcmartin wrote:
disciple wrote:What is a "screen pet"?
Is there such thing as a "multi-session ISO"? Do you mean a multi-session disk? Pburn can do this. It uses growisofs. You just need to use the "import session" feature I referred to above.
Thanks Disciple for pointing out how my post semantics could be a bit confusing.

But, my question is requesting if there exist a PET which presents a form which will add folders/files to an existing multi-session disk that was created by Pburn.
Yeah.
Use the "import session" feature. Then add some files, then burn.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#1585 Post by zigbert »

gcmartin wrote:But, my question is requesting if there exist a PET which presents a form which will add folders/files to an existing multi-session disk that was created by Pburn.
There should not be necessary to 'import session' first. That is meant to see what's already burnt onto the disc. Pburn supports multisession, the way that you can just add new data to the burnlist and burn... Pburn will detect your multisession disc, and set up burn parameters for a new session.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1586 Post by zigbert »

disciple wrote:Yes, in Pburn it is called the "Project label"
Aha :D - Is Pburn getting too big? - I don't know what I already have implemented. :lol:

disciple wrote:Ah, good question.
I have now heard that volname only reads the label of the first session, which is not what you would want.
You can also see a label with xorriso or with these commands:
isoinfo dev=/dev/sr0 -d
cd-info -C /dev/sr0 --dvd
I think I read that xorriso can display all the labels. In theory you should be able to read them all with isoinfo's -T option, but you'd need to figure out what sectors to tell it to look in. I'm not sure about other methods.

I'm guessing that isoinfo and cd-info tell us the label of the most recent session (which is all you would need), but I'm not sure.
libburn is not (and probably won't be) supported, so cdr-tool/kit will be the only solution. I could add this feature, but if the fact is that volname reads the first (and not last) session label, the result will not be logical. Let's bring this feature to the surface at the time anyone finds a solution with isoinfo or other builtin tools.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1587 Post by zigbert »

Roy wrote:EDIT2: Gut feeling is that there's a timing issue with Pburn -- if a new disc isn't loaded in the tray waiting for Pburn's autofunctions, you will have to monitor the entire process before it deletes the .tmp files.
Can you describe this closer, and hopefully give an exact report how you reproduce this.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1588 Post by zigbert »

in the burner status window there you have a countdown showing:

burning in: 4 seconds (followed by graphic characters - I guess
backspaces) 3 seconds (chars again) 2 seconds
(chars again) 1 second

As all the words and characters are in one long line I would consider this as being a little bug.

I assume that you wanted it to look like this:

4 seconds at to of it 3 seconds, at to of it 2 seconds and finally
1 second.
This is not a Pburn bug, but an issue in the backend (wodim). It must be said, - it might could be improved by piping the output via iconv to get rid of those weird chars. Do anyone have skills about this ?

Sigmund

disciple

#1589 Post by disciple »

zigbert wrote:
gcmartin wrote:But, my question is requesting if there exist a PET which presents a form which will add folders/files to an existing multi-session disk that was created by Pburn.
There should not be necessary to 'import session' first. That is meant to see what's already burnt onto the disc. Pburn supports multisession, the way that you can just add new data to the burnlist and burn... Pburn will detect your multisession disc, and set up burn parameters for a new session.

Sigmund
Are you saying that the result will be the same whether or not you use "import session"?
Or do you think my assumption that gcmartin wants to still see the files from the first session as well as the new files is wrong?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#1590 Post by zigbert »

disciple wrote:Are you saying that the result will be the same whether or not you use "import session"?
Yes
disciple wrote:Or do you think my assumption that gcmartin wants to still see the files from the first session as well as the new files is wrong?
"Import Session" is handy to see what's on the disc, so Martin (and other) would probably like to use it. I only stated that it is not necessary for the burning result :)

Sigmund

Roy

#1591 Post by Roy »

Can you describe this closer, and hopefully give an exact report how you reproduce this
Sure! Currently using Slacko-5.3.0.1-MAIN (but also happens with Three-headed Dog), Open Pburn, set temporary storage to directory on external 1TB (USB, ext2) drive, place NEW DVD-r disk in drive, view lower left "Scanning disc" bar until it shows "DVD: 4.38Gb...Free 4.38Gb ", select "Burn video" in 'Burn Mode' column, navigate to selected .avi file, and select the flaming burn options icon.

Select 16:9, NTSC, check that the media type is listed as DVD, the optical drive is listed as /dev/sr0, and hit 'refresh command' in the Advanced tab. I then select the flaming burn icon to begin the process.

mpg101 is created in a temporary directory, pburn-DVD directory (containing audio_TS and video_TS folders) is created, then the error (see attached .png) occurs.

The DVD+-R/W drive starts SCREAMING -- not just a leisurely spin-up, but rather a nitrous-fueled airplane prop on adrenaline -- and a second error appears to the effect that the .iso cannot be written to disc. The Screaming drive continues to run forever or until system shutdown, whichever comes first. Pburn log attached as a fake .gz -- just delete the .gz extension to view.

IF I DO NOT put a fresh DVD-R into the drive in the beginning, then the process stops at the first error and Pburn stops. No .iso,.. start over.

I am, however, able to boot LegacyOS2.iso (DVD) from the same optical drive and use pupdvdtool-0.5 by plinej to successfully perform each task above.

-Roy
Attachments
pburn-fail_1.png
(27.94 KiB) Downloaded 854 times

gcmartin

#1592 Post by gcmartin »

Both. Thank you.

shinobar

Some l10n files

#1593 Post by shinobar »

Pburn 3.4.1 (pmusic also have same issue)

Code: Select all

# diff pburn.org pburn
86c86
< [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] && LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%.*}`"
---
> [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] && LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%.*}| head -n 1`"
89c89
< if [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] || [ -z $LANGUAGE ]; then LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%_*}`"; fi
---
> if [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] || [ -z $LANGUAGE ]; then LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%_*}| head -n 1`"; fi
226c226,228
< . $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (in installed language)
---
> #. $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (in installed language)
> H="$HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE"
> [ -s "$H" ] && . "$H"
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Roy

Pburn 3.4.1

#1594 Post by Roy »

Just loaded a live CD of lupu-528.002 and tried Pburn again... Pburn created an .iso from an .avi and burned to DVD without any errors.

What do Three-headed Dog and Slacko have in common? The kernel?

Googled the previous error 'PERFORM OPC failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h' and came up with this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CD_Burning

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95976

but it's all a bit over my head.

Just where does Pburn create / store its .iso file?

-Roy

zigbert

#1595 Post by zigbert »

shinobar wrote:Pburn 3.4.1 (pmusic also have same issue)

# diff pburn.org pburn
86c86
< [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] && LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%.*}`"
---
> [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] && LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%.*}| head -n 1`"
89c89
< if [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] || [ -z $LANGUAGE ]; then LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%_*}`"; fi
---
> if [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] || [ -z $LANGUAGE ]; then LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%_*}| head -n 1`"; fi
226c226,228
< . $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (in installed language)
---
> #. $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (in installed language)
> H="$HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE"
> [ -s "$H" ] && . "$H"
Thank you, I have fixed it. Also for the other apps in the Pseries.

I chose another solution for line 226:

#install helptext
TMP_LANG=$LANGUAGE
[ -s /usr/share/doc/pburn/$LANGUAGE.html ] && export LANGUAGE=en_US:english
$APPDIR/func -install #check help variables
. $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (preferable in installed language)
export LANGUAGE=$TMP_LANG
I think this info should be shown in english if not help file is present in the translation.

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: Pburn 3.4.1

#1596 Post by zigbert »

Roy
Thank you for a very good report
Roy wrote:Just where does Pburn create / store its .iso file?
Burning a video-DVD won't build a iso-file. growisofs writes directly onto the disc.

If you can burn with pdvdrsab but not Pburn IN THE SAME puppy, the problem seems to be in how Pburn set up the growisofs command (as shown in the advanced tab). Else it might look as a kernel issue. Can you confirm this, and we should look at the growisofs-command pdvdrsab uses.

The kernel in Lucid / Slacko are not the same, but you mentioned LegacyOS earlier, and it uses a much older kernel. Have you tried Wary?

Sigmund

zigbert

#1597 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.4.2
See main post

Changelog
- Improved detection of $LANG (thanks to shinobar)
- Bugfix: Do not flicker the rxvt window if no preburn operations
- Bugfix: Save over an existing .pbn file. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Syntax error in LOC355. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Open pbn-file resulted in another statusbar daemon to start.
- Bugfix: Update statusbar after open a new pbn-file. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Rename directory in burnlist. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Rename file in burnlist, and then back to its original name. (thanks to disciple)

Roy

#1598 Post by Roy »

zigbert,

I tried creating and burning an .iso via Pdvdrsab in Slacko-5.3.0.1-MAIN, Wary 5.2.2, and Lupu-528.003 -- with no luck. I think I had a bad disc (maybe!)

Just now tried to create and burn ANOTHER disc with Pdvdrsab in Slacko; it did create an .iso and burn it to disc, but was unplayable on any DVD player -- the burned file-system was all wrong.

In Slacko's Pdvdrsab, if I take the target directory to the place that contains the audio_TS and video_TS folders, the resulting disc contains a directory called Video_TS with the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders inside that -- an unrecognizable file structure to any player.

If I point Slacko's Pdvdrsab at the actual Video_TS folder that contains the .vobs and such (ignoring the Audio_TS folder in the same directory), I get the same error mentioned in my previous posts with the same symptoms -- the drive won't stop spinning, even after I unmount the source-file drive.

Will try again in another version (Wary?) when time allows and post back.

Again, I don't intend to hijack this Pburn thread, but don't know where else to post for solutions.

-Roy

zigbert

#1599 Post by zigbert »

Roy wrote:Again, I don't intend to hijack this Pburn thread, but don't know where else to post for solutions.
No problem... I read, but I haven't always something to add. You might want to get in contact with jason (plinej) via the pdvdrsab thread

Sigmund

gcmartin

Update on DATA burning to existing Multi-session DVD

#1600 Post by gcmartin »

I have tested your instructions. Thanks again.

Observation:
Even though it does work as you share, it is NOT totally obvious. I only mention this as I have avoided using this feature for years because I was unaware of the ability. It could be made a little more obvious without much effort. Either as
  1. text on PBurn screen
  2. or a menu item,
  3. or as a help item.
PBURN is a very good and very very useful product. Thanks for a great product.

Edited: mistype of PBurn name in this post
Attachments
Pburn data to DVD works.png
To add files/folder(s) to an existing multi-session CD/DVD, right-click the item in the bottom levt pane; then click &quot;Burn Data&quot; in the upper pane.
(84.06 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.