Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Jul 2014, 13:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 50 of 189 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, ..., 187, 188, 189 Next
Sizzlechest

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 01:15    Post_subject:  

rjbrewer wrote:

No!
If you have any kind of install, the screensaver stays off
permanently after doing the disable.

You know, I'm not sure we're all on the same page here. I want screensavers. That was the whole point in installing the xscreensaver. I just want them to not come on while watching full screen video. I don't want them off permanently.
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 01:24    Post_subject:  

Sizzlechest wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:

No!

You know, I'm not sure we're all on the same page here. I want screensavers. That was the whole point in installing the xscreensaver. I just want them to not come on while watching full screen video. I don't want them off permanently.

Okay;
thought you wanted them off.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 05:28    Post_subject:  

Quote:
if you like the Lucid environment then you should use Slacko with the Lupufy Slacko pets

Not too sure about all this, pd. cf. my earlier pronouncements.
If you've got a potential winner, stick with it, polish it and fully debug it. Anything else is somethin' else! In particular, worth fixing the SiS issue because the answer already exists within your own handiwork!
Compact distros fulfil two important niches - old kit and SOTA, preferably ARM, portable devices (but only because they are power- and function- limited), not necessarily because the marketeers and kiddies want them. Goons with 99THz,99Gb+ PAE desktops should be using non-compact distros! Or better, spend their dosh on looking after granny...
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 06:00    Post_subject:  

1. I took another look at Slacko-5.3
Sure it looks good just like Lupu, BUT...
Whereas Lupu-526 WORKS when I do the usual tweaking like the ataflash config change to the isolinux.cfg file in the ISO...
This change does NOT work in Slacko-5.3

2. I'm working right now in "Dpup-squeeze-5.X.9-scsi" [with ataflash config change that WORKS]...
But then the display in Firefox is not up to the standard of Lupu.
So again Lupu-526 comes out top-of-the-Pups.

3. I think my number-2 behind Lupu-526 is Wary-5.2.2
But I really would like to have the latest Lupu [with all the latest improvements] working as well as version 526.
smokey01

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:00    Post_subject:  

Sylvander & Playdayz,

Here's a thought.

Why not make a diff file between 526 and 528. By inspecting the diff file you may be able to see the changes that might help you find the problem.

ICPUG

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 09:08    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:

Bigpup, Thanks for the pep talk Wink The FF 8 problem showed me that there are a surprising, at least to me, number of people still using Lucid. *We* built a good one. But IMHO new users should try Slacko first, as Barry said, because that is his latest work and any creative genius wants people to see his latest work.

You/we created the best Puppy for users there has ever been and you are surprised how many people use it!

Now you want to discourage them from using it.

Sometimes, the Puppy development model is very frustrating.
Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 09:31    Post_subject:  

Hi guys
As the person who pointed sizzlechest here to get help with his screensaver problem, it seems he's disappointed, as I think what he was looking for was a settings page or script to change the current xscreensaver settings from cutting in while in youtube, to not so....seems like a simple settings issue rather than a turn it off solution is what's required,
If anyone could help to point to xscreensaver settings, or provide a script/edit, it would be most appreciated, thanks

playdayz, doesn't the built-in screensaver setter handle this better than xscreensaver, or maybe there's a conflict and the built-in one is over-riding the other?
I have to say, this is an area where 'that other OS' does so well...

Aitch Smile
shinobar

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 10:29    Post_subject: Puppy_Linux_528.exe  

i made a mirror of Puppy_Linux_528.exe which noryb009 made:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/

@playdayz
consider to put the installer for windows somewhere in the official.

Reference:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73935

Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 10:40    Post_subject:  

Shinobar...Could you post a how-to for creating mirrors of murga-linux iso repos, if you know [is it using rsync or static/user update?]
The outage was a wake-up call, so the more mirrors the better
Distributed solutions are more secure against server failure
It's a shame no-one has come up with an IP redirect with failure, like a dynamic distributed failover
ideas anyone?
Edit: see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74053

Aitch Smile

Edited_time_total
ETP

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 13:18    Post_subject: Alsa problems  

Playdayz & Sylvander (aka “the long suffering”!)

I agree with Sylvander that the problems began with 527 but cannot find a list of the changes introduced with that release. The loss of audio for some seems to happen spontaneously after numerous reboots for no apparent reason, whilst others with Intel chips and/or other sound devices experience issues from the outset.

See this post by Tony in the Slacko 5.3 thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=585379#585379

Like Tony I used to be able to copy pups freely between usb flash & usbhd. Around the time of 527 however I lost sound if I did so and so resorted to fresh frugal installs for usbhd. I am still able to copy pups freely between different flash sticks.

To test the current status quo I copied the following over to usbhd, changing pmedia= accordingly:
Lupu Pup 528k3.1.0
Lupu Pup 528
Racy-5.2.2 k3.0.7
Slacko5.3_k3.0.8

With the exception of Racy they all lost sound (alsamixer,retrovol)and would not run alsaconf.The modules & cards were correctly identified and loaded however. The attached screenshot of the kernelboot.log shows the corrupt device files causing this loss. A reboot with pfix=fsck did not help.
Using Racy I then mounted the savefile for 528k3.1.0 & deleted the contents of dev/snd. When I the rebooted 528k3.1.0 sound came back but the kernel log was still full of errors and this is not a valid fix. It is curious that simply booting from a different media can do so much damage.
The bad news here is that the problem seems to be lurking within slacko 5.3. The good news is that Racy passed the test and Sylvander & Tony may wish to give it a try.
To confuse the issue further Racy uses Unionfs as opposed to Aufs and is also running an earlier version of Alsa.
I have a gut feeling that this may not be a problem with Alsa itself, rather that Alsa is sensitive and the first casualty of another apparently unrelated process during boot up.
I only wish I were posting a fix but this info may give someone that vital clue.

Finally Merry Christmas to all & to Sylvander “nil desperandum”
CORRUPTION.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  CORRUPTION.png 
Filesize  165.9 KB 
Downloaded  172 Time(s) 

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 13:33    Post_subject: libtool is missing config.guess  

lupu_devx_528-3.sfs is missing /usr/share/libtool/config/config.guess, thus "standard" compiling fails.
As far as I remember this was not the case in lupu_devx_528.sfs.

playdayz

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 14:16    Post_subject:  

Quote:
You/we created the best Puppy for users there has ever been and you are surprised how many people use it!

Now you want to discourage them from using it.

Sometimes, the Puppy development model is very frustrating.

Yes it is frustrating ICPUG. But here we are and here we'll stay (Lucid). We did a lot of good work, but Barry is the man who made it all possible, and I do understand why he would want people to start with Slacko 5.3.

This problem with sound has bummed me out, smokey01 has an good idea. We have made progress localizing it to beginning with 527. That gives a chance. But since I cannot recreate the problem myself (and I have tried) we would need more testers. I have some other things going on and I cannot spend 6 hours a day on Lucid like I did. There were so many changes from 525 to 528 that i despair of being able to track them and find the culprit. One possibility is to go back to 526 and just make the very most necessary changes. .I am open to ideas.

Uh smokey01, How do you make the kind of diff file you are talking about?
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 14:47    Post_subject:  

Well, for me this lost sound has not been a problem. I can not duplicate on my computer.
528 with update 002
Frugal + 3fs save file installed to hard drive

Only one on-board sound device
Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

Knowing what does work is a start. Idea

Ideas:
I have read that using 2fs save files is causing corruption problems.

Start a specific bug topic in bugs section of forum.

Example:
Topic already posted in bugs section.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73438

Playdayz and others,

Everyone should be jumping on this problem and trying to figure-out what is causing it and how to fix it.
It is not one of those bugs to leave in the dust and move on.
All I can do is give ideas, but from simple minds come simple answers. Shocked Cool Smile Wink

playdayz

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 15:37    Post_subject:  

This is the development thread for lupu-526 to lupu-527.

lupu-526 p.60 -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=547759&search_id=673741971#547759

luci-268 p. 79 -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=549991&search_id=673741971#549991

lupu-527 p. 82 -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=550485&search_id=673741971#550485

After 526 there was some tampering with initrd.gz to solve the problem about booting with no drives attached. I did *not* do that in the first version of 3HD, (luci-529) but I *did* do it in the second version (luci-001). Does anyone notice anything else suspicious? Startmount from the list below also looks suspicious, but on investigation, shouldn't' run automatically..

268 pplog /dev/null permissions fix aarf/rcrsn51
268 rc.update fixes rerwin
268 shrink some wallpapers
268 latest right-click pemasu/don570
268 Startmount 01micko/tasmod
268 menu entry created for flashplayer config by install-flashplayer (privacy options)
268 udev update to 151-12.3 from Ubuntu Lucid Lynx Updates rerwin
268 add 23oz theme DaveS, remove some blocky old themes. leave Raleigh

527RC Remove Rox right-click "Play audio with mplayer"
527RC Revert to gnome-mplayer 1.0.3 - cd cache problem in 104
527RC PupRadio 0.11
527RC Dillo 2.2.1

528 add XineDVD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
lupu_devx_528-3.sfs is missing /usr/share/libtool/config/config.guess, thus "standard" compiling fails.
As far as I remember this was not the case in lupu_devx_528.sfs.

mavrothal, /usr/share/libtool/config/config.guess is not in the original lupu_devx_528. I compile with the 3 version often, so i am not sure about this. I often see config.guess in the source folder of a program to compile???

Edited_times_total
jim3630

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 15:46    Post_subject:  

Sizzlechest wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:

No!

I use a pet called no blank screen. looked for it but couldn't quickly find it for you. click on to turn no blank screen on and click it to turn it off.

--------
here is a copy of the pet.
NoBlankScreen-1.0.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  NoBlankScreen-1.0.pet 
Filesize  829 Bytes 
Downloaded  141 Time(s) 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 50 of 189 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, ..., 187, 188, 189 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum