Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#721 Post by playdayz »

ferro10n and Sylvander, IMHO you should use Slacko. if you like the Lucid environment then you should use Slacko with the Lupufy Slacko pets. There is obviously something wacky about your computers and Lucid, so why beat your head against the wall. As ferro10n says about the 4.x Puppies, we no longer have enough testers to solve this problem. Most testers are rightfully putting their time into Slacko and other new Puppies.
what does it mean that the ext3 save-file is 'journaled'?
ferro10n, Journaled means it keeps track of what it does so if there is a power outage or crash it might be able to reconstruct the filesystem more accurately.

Bigpup, Thanks for the pep talk ;-) The FF 8 problem showed me that there are a surprising, at least to me, number of people still using Lucid. *We* built a good one. But IMHO new users should try Slacko first, as Barry said, because that is his latest work and any creative genius wants people to see his latest work.
(b) Playing failed in only the 10th file in format = swf.
swf should play in the browser if you click it,
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

JackWagon

#722 Post by JackWagon »

But IMHO new users should try Slacko first, as Barry said, because that is his latest work and any creative genius wants people to see his latest work.
Too bad the kernel Slacko is currently using will not support SIS video. (as I understand it, xvesa only)

Newer kernels may never support this particular old hardware.

I'll have to try Wary when it grows up. Until then, I'll be paying this thread a visit now and again.

JW

playdayz

#723 Post by playdayz »

nstalled Instant_Update_Multimedia-Lucid528-002.pet on lucu-528.
Tried to convert .wmv to mpeg2 using ffconvert, but got the ffmpeg segfault.
Shinobar, I am not very familiar with ffconvert, but I was able to convert wmv to mpeg2 with the following parameters. Your ffmpeg has more audio codecs though--so I will look into that for a future possible update. The Multimedia update that you used has been replaced by the Pmusic_Upgrade but it has the same ffmpeg. Pmusic Upgrade provides the dependencies to upgrade Pmusic to version 2.2.2, and then further updates can be downloaded from the pmusic thread http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusi ... cid528.pet
Attachments
ffconvert.png
(70.72 KiB) Downloaded 1298 times
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 05 Dec 2011, 19:39, edited 4 times in total.

playdayz

#724 Post by playdayz »

Too bad the kernel Slacko is currently using will not support SIS video. (as I understand it, xvesa only)

Newer kernels may never support this particular old hardware.

I'll have to try Wary when it grows up. Until then, I'll be paying this thread a visit now and again.
I didn't know that JackWagon. Is Lucid doing what you need? If you like the Lucid usability features, you might try using Lupufy Slacko with Wary??? Just a thought if Lucid is not working for you.

Sylvander

#725 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Sylvander, IMHO you should use Slacko"
I already have Slacko-5.3-main set up and in use, but for some reason I preferred Lupu.
I'll take another closer look at Slacko.

2. "There is obviously something wacky about your computers and Lucid"
Lupu-526 did and still DOES work to perfection on this PC.
What was introduced after 526 that is causing the problem I wonder? :?

playdayz

#726 Post by playdayz »

Lupu-526 did and still DOES work to perfection on this PC.
What was introduced after 526 that is causing the problem I wonder?
I wish I knew. There were a lot of changes and it did not get caught in testing so i doubt it can be found now. If someone would test the original lupu-528.iso for this problem it *might* help, because if the problem is not in lupu-528.iso then there would be a chance of finding it, but if the problem is in lupu-528.iso there would no chance.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.iso

Sizzlechest

xscreensaver

#727 Post by Sizzlechest »

Hello. I was told on puppylinux.info I should post my question here. Here is a copy/paste of my original post.

"So, I managed to get xscreensaver up and running on Lucid 5.2.8, but I have run in to a small issue with it. It doesn't seem to care if something is running full screen or not. An example being a youtube video in full screen mode, the screensaver will still turn on if I don't move the mouse. Anyone know of a fix for this behavior? I've been on google searching different combinations of words for a few hours with no luck. "

Thank you to anyone who might be able to help with this.

cthisbear

#728 Post by cthisbear »

playdayz:

I know that I gave you plenty of Biffo in the past with Lucid.

In saying that....the official 5.28 is a very satisfying release,

one of my favourite Puppies.

Same with 5.29.

The only other I use more is Puppy 4.3.1 for Windows recovery.

So thanks again...keep on choogling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUzl7_OpVLA

Chris.

playdayz

#729 Post by playdayz »

An example being a youtube video in full screen mode, the screensaver will still turn on if I don't move the mouse. Anyone know of a fix for this behavior?
Sizzlechest, Yes. Easy fix. Menu -> Desktop -> Desktop settings -> No Blank Screen

Hmm, At least I think it should work with xscreensaver. I know it works with the default screen blanker.

recobayu

Re: xscreensaver

#730 Post by recobayu »

Sizzlechest wrote:Hello. I was told on puppylinux.info I should post my question here. Here is a copy/paste of my original post.

"So, I managed to get xscreensaver up and running on Lucid 5.2.8, but I have run in to a small issue with it. It doesn't seem to care if something is running full screen or not. An example being a youtube video in full screen mode, the screensaver will still turn on if I don't move the mouse. Anyone know of a fix for this behavior? I've been on google searching different combinations of words for a few hours with no luck. "

Thank you to anyone who might be able to help with this.
Sizzlechest, try this 'no blankscreen':
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45825

Sizzlechest

#731 Post by Sizzlechest »

playdayz wrote:
An example being a youtube video in full screen mode, the screensaver will still turn on if I don't move the mouse. Anyone know of a fix for this behavior?
Sizzlechest, Yes. Easy fix. Menu -> Desktop -> Desktop settings -> No Blank Screen

Hmm, At least I think it should work with xscreensaver. I know it works with the default screen blanker.
Hmm. I am assuming you must turn this on whenever you're going to be using a full screen app, and turn it back off when you're done? There's no way prevent the screensaver from coming on automatically whenever lets say flash is playing full screen? This computer is for an 8 year old, and he isn't going to mess with all that. If there is a more complicated solution that he won't have to mess with, I'm willing to get my hands dirty if that's what it takes. I am really hoping to be able to just hand him a laptop that just does what it's supposed to, without having to explain any quirks, and how to handle them.

rjbrewer

#732 Post by rjbrewer »

There's two places in desktop settings where screensaver
must be disabled.

1. desktop screensaver control.

2. pupx screensaver > uncheck enable screensaver,
click okay.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

bigpup

#733 Post by bigpup »

Sizzlechest wrote:No Blank Screen
Hmm. I am assuming you must turn this on whenever you're going to be using a full screen app, and turn it back off when you're done? There's no way prevent the screensaver from coming on automatically whenever lets say flash is playing full screen? This computer is for an 8 year old, and he isn't going to mess with all that. If there is a more complicated solution that he won't have to mess with, I'm willing to get my hands dirty if that's what it takes. I am really hoping to be able to just hand him a laptop that just does what it's supposed to, without having to explain any quirks, and how to handle them.
Yes it has to be manually turned off and on.
It was written just for the situation you state, when watching videos.
The screen savers in Puppy are very basic and do not have much options.
Not much interest in improving them.
Do not underestimate your 8 year old.
He probably knows more about computers then we do. :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sizzlechest

#734 Post by Sizzlechest »

Oh, no doubt he can do it, but 8 year olds are impatient. Remember when you were young, and everything took forever? lol.

I just know windows/mac have been able to figure out when, and when not to use the screensaver since watching video on a pc was something people even did. I had hoped by 2011, someone, somewhere, would have figured this out on linux. I didn't hold out much hope, though. In this day and age, if you can't find it on google in 3 hours of searching, it probably doesn't, or shouldn't exist.

Thanks anyways all.

rjbrewer

#735 Post by rjbrewer »

Sizzlechest wrote:
Hmm. I am assuming you must turn this on whenever you're going to be using a full screen app, and turn it back off when you're done? There's no way prevent the screensaver from coming on automatically whenever lets say flash is playing full screen?
No!
If you have any kind of install, the screensaver stays off
permanently after doing the disable.

Full installs

Sizzlechest

#736 Post by Sizzlechest »

rjbrewer wrote:
No!
You know, I'm not sure we're all on the same page here. I want screensavers. That was the whole point in installing the xscreensaver. I just want them to not come on while watching full screen video. I don't want them off permanently.

rjbrewer

#737 Post by rjbrewer »

Sizzlechest wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:
No!
You know, I'm not sure we're all on the same page here. I want screensavers. That was the whole point in installing the xscreensaver. I just want them to not come on while watching full screen video. I don't want them off permanently.
Okay;
thought you wanted them off.

Full installs

Sage

#738 Post by Sage »

if you like the Lucid environment then you should use Slacko with the Lupufy Slacko pets
Not too sure about all this, pd. cf. my earlier pronouncements.
If you've got a potential winner, stick with it, polish it and fully debug it. Anything else is somethin' else! In particular, worth fixing the SiS issue because the answer already exists within your own handiwork!
Compact distros fulfil two important niches - old kit and SOTA, preferably ARM, portable devices (but only because they are power- and function- limited), not necessarily because the marketeers and kiddies want them. Goons with 99THz,99Gb+ PAE desktops should be using non-compact distros! Or better, spend their dosh on looking after granny...

Sylvander

#739 Post by Sylvander »

1. I took another look at Slacko-5.3
Sure it looks good just like Lupu, BUT...
Whereas Lupu-526 WORKS when I do the usual tweaking like the ataflash config change to the isolinux.cfg file in the ISO...
This change does NOT work in Slacko-5.3

2. I'm working right now in "Dpup-squeeze-5.X.9-scsi" [with ataflash config change that WORKS]...
But then the display in Firefox is not up to the standard of Lupu.
So again Lupu-526 comes out top-of-the-Pups.

3. I think my number-2 behind Lupu-526 is Wary-5.2.2
But I really would like to have the latest Lupu [with all the latest improvements] working as well as version 526.

smokey01

#740 Post by smokey01 »

Sylvander & Playdayz,

Here's a thought.

Why not make a diff file between 526 and 528. By inspecting the diff file you may be able to see the changes that might help you find the problem.