Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 04:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
pBurn 4.3.6
Page 107 of 143 [2132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, ..., 141, 142, 143 Next
Roy

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec 2011, 17:17    Post subject:  

Quote:
Can you describe this closer, and hopefully give an exact report how you reproduce this

Sure! Currently using Slacko-5.3.0.1-MAIN (but also happens with Three-headed Dog), Open Pburn, set temporary storage to directory on external 1TB (USB, ext2) drive, place NEW DVD-r disk in drive, view lower left "Scanning disc" bar until it shows "DVD: 4.38Gb...Free 4.38Gb ", select "Burn video" in 'Burn Mode' column, navigate to selected .avi file, and select the flaming burn options icon.

Select 16:9, NTSC, check that the media type is listed as DVD, the optical drive is listed as /dev/sr0, and hit 'refresh command' in the Advanced tab. I then select the flaming burn icon to begin the process.

mpg101 is created in a temporary directory, pburn-DVD directory (containing audio_TS and video_TS folders) is created, then the error (see attached .png) occurs.

The DVD+-R/W drive starts SCREAMING -- not just a leisurely spin-up, but rather a nitrous-fueled airplane prop on adrenaline -- and a second error appears to the effect that the .iso cannot be written to disc. The Screaming drive continues to run forever or until system shutdown, whichever comes first. Pburn log attached as a fake .gz -- just delete the .gz extension to view.

IF I DO NOT put a fresh DVD-R into the drive in the beginning, then the process stops at the first error and Pburn stops. No .iso,.. start over.

I am, however, able to boot LegacyOS2.iso (DVD) from the same optical drive and use pupdvdtool-0.5 by plinej to successfully perform each task above.

-Roy
Pburn.log.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  Pburn.log.gz 
Filesize  687.53 KB 
Downloaded  123 Time(s) 
pburn-fail_1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   27.94 KB
 Viewed   795 Time(s)

pburn-fail_1.png

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec 2011, 18:18    Post subject:  

Both. Thank you.
shinobar

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec 2011, 04:06    Post subject: Some l10n files  

Pburn 3.4.1 (pmusic also have same issue)
Code:
# diff pburn.org pburn
86c86
< [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] && LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%.*}`"
---
> [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] && LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%.*}| head -n 1`"
89c89
< if [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] || [ -z $LANGUAGE ]; then LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%_*}`"; fi
---
> if [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] || [ -z $LANGUAGE ]; then LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%_*}| head -n 1`"; fi
226c226,228
< . $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (in installed language)
---
> #. $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (in installed language)
> H="$HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE"
> [ -s "$H" ] && . "$H"

Roy

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec 2011, 21:36    Post subject: Pburn 3.4.1
Subject description: kernel issues?

Just loaded a live CD of lupu-528.002 and tried Pburn again... Pburn created an .iso from an .avi and burned to DVD without any errors.

What do Three-headed Dog and Slacko have in common? The kernel?

Googled the previous error 'PERFORM OPC failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h' and came up with this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CD_Burning

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95976

but it's all a bit over my head.

Just where does Pburn create / store its .iso file?

-Roy
zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec 2011, 07:28    Post subject:  

shinobar wrote:
Pburn 3.4.1 (pmusic also have same issue)
Code:
# diff pburn.org pburn
86c86
< [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] && LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%.*}`"
---
> [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] && LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%.*}| head -n 1`"
89c89
< if [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] || [ -z $LANGUAGE ]; then LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%_*}`"; fi
---
> if [ "$LANGUAGE" = "auto" ] || [ -z $LANGUAGE ]; then LANGUAGE="`ls -1 $APPDIR/locals/ | grep ${LANG%_*}| head -n 1`"; fi
226c226,228
< . $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (in installed language)
---
> #. $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (in installed language)
> H="$HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE"
> [ -s "$H" ] && . "$H"
Thank you, I have fixed it. Also for the other apps in the Pseries.

I chose another solution for line 226:
Code:
#install helptext
TMP_LANG=$LANGUAGE
[ -s /usr/share/doc/pburn/$LANGUAGE.html ] && export LANGUAGE=en_US:english
$APPDIR/func -install #check help variables
. $HOME/.pburn/pburnhlp-$LANGUAGE #read help text (preferable in installed language)
export LANGUAGE=$TMP_LANG
I think this info should be shown in english if not help file is present in the translation.

Sigmund

zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec 2011, 08:04    Post subject: Re: Pburn 3.4.1
Subject description: kernel issues?

Roy
Thank you for a very good report

Roy wrote:
Just where does Pburn create / store its .iso file?
Burning a video-DVD won't build a iso-file. growisofs writes directly onto the disc.

If you can burn with pdvdrsab but not Pburn IN THE SAME puppy, the problem seems to be in how Pburn set up the growisofs command (as shown in the advanced tab). Else it might look as a kernel issue. Can you confirm this, and we should look at the growisofs-command pdvdrsab uses.

The kernel in Lucid / Slacko are not the same, but you mentioned LegacyOS earlier, and it uses a much older kernel. Have you tried Wary?

Sigmund

zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec 2011, 14:37    Post subject:  

Version 3.4.2
See main post

Changelog
- Improved detection of $LANG (thanks to shinobar)
- Bugfix: Do not flicker the rxvt window if no preburn operations
- Bugfix: Save over an existing .pbn file. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Syntax error in LOC355. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Open pbn-file resulted in another statusbar daemon to start.
- Bugfix: Update statusbar after open a new pbn-file. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Rename directory in burnlist. (thanks to disciple)
- Bugfix: Rename file in burnlist, and then back to its original name. (thanks to disciple)

Roy

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2011, 16:13    Post subject:  

zigbert,

I tried creating and burning an .iso via Pdvdrsab in Slacko-5.3.0.1-MAIN, Wary 5.2.2, and Lupu-528.003 -- with no luck. I think I had a bad disc (maybe!)

Just now tried to create and burn ANOTHER disc with Pdvdrsab in Slacko; it did create an .iso and burn it to disc, but was unplayable on any DVD player -- the burned file-system was all wrong.

In Slacko's Pdvdrsab, if I take the target directory to the place that contains the audio_TS and video_TS folders, the resulting disc contains a directory called Video_TS with the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders inside that -- an unrecognizable file structure to any player.

If I point Slacko's Pdvdrsab at the actual Video_TS folder that contains the .vobs and such (ignoring the Audio_TS folder in the same directory), I get the same error mentioned in my previous posts with the same symptoms -- the drive won't stop spinning, even after I unmount the source-file drive.

Will try again in another version (Wary?) when time allows and post back.

Again, I don't intend to hijack this Pburn thread, but don't know where else to post for solutions.

-Roy
zigbert

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2011, 15:53    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:
Again, I don't intend to hijack this Pburn thread, but don't know where else to post for solutions.
No problem... I read, but I haven't always something to add. You might want to get in contact with jason (plinej) via the pdvdrsab thread

Sigmund

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec 2011, 20:47    Post subject: Update on DATA burning to existing Multi-session DVD  

I have tested your instructions. Thanks again.

Observation:
Even though it does work as you share, it is NOT totally obvious. I only mention this as I have avoided using this feature for years because I was unaware of the ability. It could be made a little more obvious without much effort. Either as
  1. text on PBurn screen
  2. or a menu item,
  3. or as a help item.
PBURN is a very good and very very useful product. Thanks for a great product.

Edited: mistype of PBurn name in this post
Pburn data to DVD works.png
 Description   To add files/folder(s) to an existing multi-session CD/DVD, right-click the item in the bottom levt pane; then click "Burn Data" in the upper pane.
 Filesize   84.06 KB
 Viewed   651 Time(s)

Pburn data to DVD works.png

Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 19:53; edited 1 time in total
EdV

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec 2011, 13:46    Post subject:
Subject description: failure on filesizes greater than 4Gb

Greetings zigbert -- Hope your holidays are merry!

I recently ran into a big problem (for me) with pBurn Sad I am using pburn version 3.4.2 running on Puppy Lucid.

The problem manifested itself when trying to burn to a bluray disc. After selecting all the files to burn and hitting the burn gadget, the splashbox ("checking media..." and "building burn command..." messages) would appear and would not go away Sad I could see that the main pBurn GUI would update, but nothing else happens after this.

After some intense debugging contortions, I isolated the issue to the func_burn_options file at line 170 where you are checking the media disc space and just entered the case statement. I believe you are using the MKISOFS command to get a target size, but this command fails if a selected file is greater than 4Gb! Simply adding some udf options to MKISOFS will let it work for those large files!

I came up with a potential solution by adding a simple if test and another variable to be used in the MKISOFS command:

<OLD CODE BEGIN>
case $MEDIASIZE_FREE in *[0-9]*)
TMP="`$MKISOFS -iso-level 3 -D -R -J -joliet-long --print-size -exclude-list $WORKDIR/exclude -graft-points -path-list=$WORKDIR/graft_points | tail -n 1`"
ISOSIZE=$(($TMP*2048))
<OLD CODE END>

<NEW CODE BEGIN>
case $MEDIASIZE_FREE in *[0-9]*)
# 111227 EdV: need options to handle filesizes -gt 4Gb!
if [ "$UDF" = "true" ]; then
UDF_OPTS="-udf -allow-limited-size"
else
UDF_OPTS=""
fi
TMP="`$MKISOFS -iso-level 3 -D -R -J -joliet-long $UDF_OPTS --print-size -exclude-list $WORKDIR/exclude -graft-points -path-list=$WORKDIR/graft_points | tail -n 1`"
ISOSIZE=$(($TMP*2048))
<NEW CODE END>

This worked great and I was able to burn my bluray disc Smile

Unfortunately, this solution only works if you select the udf filesystem before one tries to burn any selected files! If you do not select the udf filesystem and try to burn with any file greater than 4Gb -- pBurn will hang.

To avoid the problem without the udf filesystem being selected, I am thinking that maybe a check needs to be performed when files are selected to burn which checks filesize and if greater than 4Gb without udf selected, a warning message comes up. This has to happen before one hits the burn gadget or it will be too late and pBurn will lock up. I do not have a solution for this yet, but maybe you can figure one out before I can even guess where you collect filesizes during the add file process...

As always, thanks for a great script!

EdV
zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 07:44    Post subject:  

EdV
Thank you for the investigation.
I am a bit busy these days, but as soon as we reach 2012, I will take a look.

Sigmund

gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 19:51    Post subject: Ripping with PBurn  

I saw this
Quote:
... It includes ripping functionality similar to that of Asunder ...
Does this mean that PBurn is lacking richness in the "Ripping" ability. Even though I own many CDs, I have never copied them for storage. But, last week, I had my first Music CD get destroyed. (maybe now is a good time for me to begin media storage, huh...)

Thanks in advance for insights or guidance

zigbert

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec 2011, 05:11    Post subject: Re: Ripping with PBurn  

gcmartin wrote:
Does this mean that PBurn is lacking richness in the "Ripping" ability.
The answer is Yes and No. Let me explain...

Pburn supports copying of Audio-CDs (including CD-text), which requires to rip the CD before actually writing the content to a new disc. But Pburn lacks the ability to store/convert the ripped wav-files to your local harddrive.

Then the next question is obvious... Why not just let the user get the option to use Pburn as a ripper when the feature is already there? Let me explain...

Once upon a time there was this app called Nero. It was a brilliant tool for all kinds of burning. Many loved it, and they earned of course a lot of money on selling it. At next stage they would like to sell it even more, so they found it smart to include new stuff that people couldn't resist; - and wanted to buy a newer version of this brilliant product. After some releases including new extended features, things started to change. People found Nero a bit complex (and big), and it opened the market for other simpler products....

Pburn has not the intention to step into the Nero-trap. As Nero, Pburn are not meant to offer features for
- Album-cover design.
- Audio-CD and DVD-Video ripping (different from copying)
- Video editing

We have other apps that do these things very well, and I do not see any reason for making Pburn even more complex.

When it comes to SimpleBurn, it looks promising, and maybe one day we don't need Pburn anymore. But as is today I find it a bit poorly conceived when iguleder states:
- It is smaller than Pburn, about half the size.
Without comparing the actual features and the size of the unique dependencies, this statement isn't impressive.
- It's a compiled application, not a script. This makes it way faster.
This is a statement also used by jemimah and other, and it is fair to use, but for utilities like Pburn, 1.) Speed doesn't matter that much. 2.) The actual writing-to-disc is the main speed-issue, and it will NOT be faster with SimpleBurn just because it is compiled.
- It includes ripping functionality similar to that of Asunder.
TRUE!
I hope it won't include too many extended features if SimpleBurn is meant to be ..... simple.

Sigmund

darkcity

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec 2011, 08:51    Post subject:  

I've been burning off a set of MP3s and come across the following problems. One which may be to do with the MP3 decoder or/and corrupt MP3 files. The second may be able to be fixed in PBurn.

1) MP3 file incorrect lengths - for example in PBurn and PMusic the first MP3 is loaded as 6.06 minutes when it is actually 4.00. Gnome-player shows it as 9.09, mhWaveEdit shows it correctly at 4.00. (With k3b I am yet to be able to load MP3). All the MP3 file in the collection are loaded as being longer than they actually are. There is a header error generated - so the information may be missing in the files.

2) CD drive takes a long time to OPC - I converted the MP3s to WAV. k3b can successfully burn these file as it waits a long time for the drive to be ready - burning kicks in after about 2mins on the OPC (Optimum Power Calibration). PBurn quits after 1min of OPC reporting an error with the CD drive (sr0).

Twisted Evil

Page 107 of 143 [2132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, ..., 141, 142, 143 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: