Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Tasgarth

#661 Post by Tasgarth »

Brown Mouse wrote:
I'm having problems with '528' not being able to recognise a new 'Nikon coolpix L23' camera as a usb device.
Remove the flash card from your camera and play it directly on your PC. By putting it in an appropriate USB flash drive.
I always did that with my Nikon camera.

ICPUG

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 003 - NOV 29, 2011

#662 Post by ICPUG »

ETP wrote:It is hard to see how this release of Lucid could be improved upon & the clamour to lupify Slacko shows just how well received it has been.
+1 to that - although one way Lupu can be improved is to make it work with hardware which it currently does not work with. That would require continuous maintenance and will not happen.

The way Puppy development works is that a new developer comes along with their take on things - so Slacko will work better on Intel 2nd gen, Core processors for example.

It irritates me when we have to introduce a Lupify pet for Slacko. In particular we spent years getting a control panel with all the configuration options in one place in Puppy. Thanks to Radky and Playdayz taking his work up it finally appeared in Lupu. Along comes Slacko and it is gone again!

This is the way of Puppy development - mostly good - but not perfect.

Sylvander

#663 Post by Sylvander »

Lupu-528 sound problem:
SOLVED by update 003! :D
[Seems so for me anyway]

1. I've pretty much finished setting up a NEW INSTALL by burning Lupu-528.003.iso to a CD-RW, and making a new pupsave in a folder on an ext3 partition on my 2nd internal HDD.

Small problems overcome/fixed:
(a) It wouldn't make a pupsave at 1st shutdown. :(
So I installed pupsaveconfig, and used that to make a pupsave ["lupusave"] file.

(b) Also experienced a temporary glitch with Pwidgets.
Big rotary RAM & CPU meters [obscuring the partition icons] appeared at bottom of the desktop.
I fiddled with Pwidgets, and they disappeared. :D

2. Everything is looking good and working well, so far as I can see this far.
Loudspeaker icon remains in the tray at bottom right, and Retrovol seems to work, although config settings appear to revert rather than staying as set.
Perhaps I failed to "Save the session" after making the config changes; will watch that.

3. Lupu is so good, I'm determined to keep working on it to get it working to perfection.
This has been [and I hope will continue to be for some time] my number-1 Puppy.
As usual, I changed the isolinux.cfg file on the iso so "pmedia=ataflash", to make the pupsave on the internal HDD be treated as though a pupsave on a Flash Drive.
It's working to perfection, with no resulting sound problem. 8)

Sylvander

#664 Post by Sylvander »

Spoke too soon! :(

How come I reboot multiple times, and the speaker icon remains in place...
Then I post saying all is well, and reboot and it's GONE! :oops:

playdayz

#665 Post by playdayz »

So Chrome is that much better.
How do you as user notice that it is better?
Nooby, i wouldn't say necessarily better, but I would say "faster." I just notice that it starts faster and it renders pages faster. Faster is not the only important thing, but IMHO it is a big factor in usability. I personally use Iron rather than Chrome.

And nooby, yes, the sound issue could have been long term, but all at once otropogo, ferro10n, and Sylvander ran into it after the Update 002 was released.
(a) It wouldn't make a pupsave at 1st shutdown
Sylvander, I personally think that the sound problem has something to do with usb. I don't know what exaclty though and I could be wrong. I am very disappointed that the problem appeared with the lupu-528.003.iso. I also don't know how it could work for multiple reboots and then go bad. ferro10n says it only happens if he copies the lupu-528.sfs file to the usb disk. The symptoms could be explained if for some reason Lucid cannot find the sound driver when it boots.

If it happens with lupu-528.003.iso I doubt that it will ever be fixed. I don't think it has been reported with Three-Headed Dog, but fewer people use that. otropogo reported that he did not have the problem with 3HD. It *might* be something else you did right before it broke??? The fact that it wouldn't make the pupsave on first boot is suspicious. Do you use any other Puppy enough that the problem might appear? I wonder if it could be that fancy thing you do with the save file? Could you not do that and see what happens? Are you sure that there was no lupu_528.sfs on the disk, even inside a directory? You might refrain from adding any other pets until it has booted OK for a few days, or 10 times in a row or something. You might consider using Slacko with the lupufy pets.
the clamour to lupify Slacko
ETP and ICPUG, Well, I haven't heard any clamour ;-) But people could install the lupufy-slacko pet or they could install radky's PupControl by itself. Slacko is purposefully built very close to the Woof template which should make debugging easier, and also implementing Woof enhancements. I find that using Slacko with the 3 lupufy pets is virtually indistinguishable from using Lupu.

PupControl -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 18&t=61961

bigpup

#666 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:Spoke too soon! :(

How come I reboot multiple times, and the speaker icon remains in place...
Then I post saying all is well, and reboot and it's GONE! :oops:
1. I've pretty much finished setting up a NEW INSTALL by burning Lupu-528.003.iso to a CD-RW, and making a new pupsave in a folder on an ext3 partition on my 2nd internal HDD.

Small problems overcome/fixed:
(a) It wouldn't make a pupsave at 1st shutdown. Sad
So I installed pupsaveconfig, and used that to make a pupsave ["lupusave"] file.
Some possible causes for problems.
1. How clean was CD-RW when you started the install?
Anything it was used for? Like another version of Puppy?
Too high a burn speed used?
2. Not making a pup save, on first shutdown, usually means it thinks one is already made.
3.Pupsaveconfig program could have issues with Lucid Puppy 528.
If you run it by a console command, do you get any messages?
4. Speaker icon missing at boot.
Does booting again have any effect?
Do you have more than one sound device?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

elcurita

Sound and Volume Icon disappearing

#667 Post by elcurita »

Lucid 528 Ver.03 New Iso USB stick install.7 Sticks 4 laptops 3 desktops. All Sticks lost sound and Vol icon after the 4th reboot or so. Frugal install on the desktops do not get affected with this.

playdayz

#668 Post by playdayz »

All Sticks lost sound and Vol icon after the 4th reboot or so. Frugal install on the desktops do not get affected with this.
Thanks for the testing elcurito. That seems conclusive. I wonder if you could test the usb sticks with Three-Headed Dog?

Here is the upcoming updated iso of 3HD -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci-001.001.iso

It would also be good if someone who can recreate the problem could test the original lupu-528.iso with no updates applied -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.iso

zekebaby

Re: Sound and Volume Icon disappearing

#669 Post by zekebaby »

elcurita wrote:Lucid 528 Ver.03 New Iso USB stick install.7 Sticks 4 laptops 3 desktops. All Sticks lost sound and Vol icon after the 4th reboot or so. Frugal install on the desktops do not get affected with this.
Try removing the /dev folder before shutting down and see if the volume icons come back at the next boot. Lucid is the only mainstrem Puppy that does not run on this Toughbook CF-T2 so I can't verify the problem and fix, but this looks like an old problem I tracked down for Barry back in March.

James C

#670 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of 528.003 on a different old Athlon XP box.Sound, internet and display all working and correct on initial boot.Rebooted 8 or 10 times....no sound problems.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid , version 528

Chip description:
oem: Copyright 1998 TRIDENT MICROSYSTEMS INC.

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
Memory : 507MB (165MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 01 Dec 2011 01:44:16 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA686A - VIA 82C686A/B rev50
Attachments
Lucid-528.003.png
(34.84 KiB) Downloaded 1223 times

playdayz

#671 Post by playdayz »

Fresh manual frugal install of 528.003 on a different old Athlon XP box.Sound, internet and display all working and correct on initial boot.Rebooted 8 or 10 times....no sound problems.
Thank you James C. Yes I think 5.2.8 runs nicely in almost all cases--no problem at all with frugal installs and no problem with some usb installs. I have a usb install that I am booting over and over with no problem. That is why this problem with sound is so frustrating. Something that only happens after multiple reboots to some usb installs, that's bizarre. You were around from the beginning and this is the worst bug we have had. We were extraordinarily lucky--and if there had to be a nasty bug it is better to have it in the last version when the replacement is online ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try removing the /dev folder before shutting down and see if the volume icons come back at the next boot
zekebaby, deleting /dev caused big problems on reboot. The monitor was not auto detected and then X would not start????

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
elcurita, Sylvander, and others with usb sound issue: You might try this shutdown_patch pet. I uses the rc.shutdown from 5.2.8 original, just in case. Another shot in the dark.
Attachments
shutdown_patch.pet
(16.49 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

Sylvander

#672 Post by Sylvander »

A. I haven't tried your patch just yet, because...

B. When I was setting up Lupu-528.003...
I wrote down all the significant steps I was taking, one line to a step...
Noting...
Package installs.
PupsaveHotBackups made=4 and restored=1.
Configuration changes.
Changes to code in some files to produce changed/improved functions.

C. Step 19 in my list was to restore my 4th [and last] backup, that was made just prior to the disappearance of the loudspeaker icon.
This has restored Lupu-528.003 to its fully-functioning state [with loudspeaker icon].

D. So far I've made some changes as listed below, then after each change, clicked the "Save" icon, and rebooted.
Five reboots so far, and all's well.

E. Here are the steps from the restore onward:
STEP
19. Restored PupsaveHotBackup=4 of lupusave file. [Used Wary-5.2.2->Xfe to do this]
20. Uninstalled "Parcellite-1.0.9-i486". [Wasn't working normally]
21. Installed "Parcellite-0.9.3-lucid". [This works normally] Then "Save" & reboot [S&R].
22. Restored steps 17 & 18 [see below] having saved the necessary files to a Flash Drive. Then S&R.
23. Config "Retrovol" settings, then S&R.
24. Retrovol settings NOT-SAVED, so re-did these, then 2S&R->[save during session and at shut-down] with Retrovol window left open.
25. Retrovol settings DID save this time. [WHY this time, but not last? Is "Save" icon not working?]

Earlier STEPS:
17. See this post on how to prevent the spurious warning as a pupsave installation of Puppy boots, that the previous shut-down was improper.
18. And this post on a workaround for the faulty "Open with..." facility in Xfe being run in Puppy_Linux.

Sylvander

#673 Post by Sylvander »

On the 7th reboot the loudspeaker icon disappeared! :(

Sylvander

#674 Post by Sylvander »

A. STEP:
26. Restored PupsaveHotBackup=4 of 11.11.30-14.10
27. Installed shutdown_patch.pet.
28. Repeat 20,21.
29. Repeat 17,18,23, then 2S&R.
30. Made PupsaveHotBackup=5 of 11.12.01-21.07, then 2S&R.

B. Loudspeaker icon gone at 2nd reboot! :(

Sylvander

#675 Post by Sylvander »

A. STEP
31. Restored PupsaveHotBackup=5

B. Booted into Lupu-528.003, and all looked good: loudspeaker icon was there, and all the proper [previously set] Retrovol configurations were also there. :D

C. I wonder how many reboots it will take before the loudspeaker icon is gone?
Time will tell.

D. I notice that at the previous post by me...
When I tried to edit my post...
Firefox said something like: "Sorry, but you can only edit your own post"...
And when I tried to return to the thread, I was taken to page-1! :?

E. Will it happen again, here and now?
No, all is well.
There's nowt so strange as PC's! :? :roll:

zekebaby

#676 Post by zekebaby »

playdayz wrote:
Try removing the /dev folder before shutting down and see if the volume icons come back at the next boot
zekebaby, deleting /dev caused big problems on reboot. The monitor was not auto detected and then X would not start????
. . . then try just deleting the /dev/snd folder and reboot. That also seemed to work for me. Don't do it from ROX though; add it to the latest shutdown script you can find. IIRC, I did the mod in snapmergepuppy in Wary (don't know if it exists in Lupu)

rerwin

#677 Post by rerwin »

zekebaby wrote:. . . then try just deleting the /dev/snd folder and reboot. That also seemed to work for me. Don't do it from ROX though; add it to the latest shutdown script you can find. IIRC, I did the mod in snapmergepuppy in Wary (don't know if it exists in Lupu)
I have made the snapmergepuppy mod in my "patch-2" posted a few pages back:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 550#583550

Do you have a suggestion on how to change rc.shutdown to deal with /dev/snd? I could add it to my next patch. BTW, patch-2 has more of the wary updates to rc.shutsown, but I don't see anything about /dev/snd.
Richard

rerwin

#678 Post by rerwin »

In all the discussion about random loss of sound, no one has addressed what I suspect could be a factor. In analyzing Sylvander's diag files, I saw two sound cards with the same driver and hardware IDs, although their subsystem IDs were different. I suspect that the devices are not always discovered in the same sequence, so that either could end up as device 0, the default sound card.

Both of Sylvander's diags showed the older of the two cards as device 0, at the time that retrovol crashed. My guess is that there is something wrong with the older (built-in?) card that upsets retrovol (the speaker icon program). If Sylvander were to look at the setup while sound and retrovol are working, we could test that theory. Instead of getting a diag file, simply capture the output of the command:
cat /proc/asound/*
during a normal run would either confirm or rule out that card duplication as a cause.

In addition, it would be interesting to have those experiencing the problem run that command both while sound/retrovol is working and when it fails.

The command shows more than we need. The relevant files there are "cards" and "modules".
Richard

zekebaby

#679 Post by zekebaby »

rerwin wrote:
zekebaby wrote:. . . then try just deleting the /dev/snd folder and reboot. That also seemed to work for me. Don't do it from ROX though; add it to the latest shutdown script you can find. IIRC, I did the mod in snapmergepuppy in Wary (don't know if it exists in Lupu)
I have made the snapmergepuppy mod in my "patch-2" posted a few pages back:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 550#583550

Do you have a suggestion on how to change rc.shutdown to deal with /dev/snd? I could add it to my next patch. BTW, patch-2 has more of the wary updates to rc.shutsown, but I don't see anything about /dev/snd.
Richard
Hi Richard,

Look for comment #110224 in snapmergepuppy in the latest Wary to see the fix. I don't know if it works in rc.shutdown, which may run too early. The removal of /dev/snd needs to happen as late as possible.

Sylvander

#680 Post by Sylvander »

@rerwin

1. I printed out your instructions for a fix from many days back, but it looks rather difficult at 1st glance, and other urgent real-life tasks got in the way, so I've been waiting for the right moment to attempt it.
Is it still appropriate to try this?

2. "just deleting the /dev/snd folder and reboot. That also seemed to work for me. Don't do it from ROX though; add it to the latest shutdown script you can find."
(a) I've previously attempted to delete /dev using Xfe, and that failed to delete.
(b) How to add it [delete of /dev/snd] to the latest shutdown script? Instructions needed.

3. "IIRC, I did the mod in snapmergepuppy in Wary (don't know if it exists in Lupu)"
(a) What does this mean?
(b) What is IIRC?
(c) What is snapmergepuppy?

4. "In analyzing Sylvander's diag files, I saw two sound cards with the same driver and hardware IDs, although their subsystem IDs were different."
I think this donated/gifted hardware has 4-channel sound.
i.e. Surround-sound [via 2-off stereo channels perhaps].

5. "If Sylvander were to look at the setup while sound and retrovol are working, we could test that theory. Instead of getting a diag file, simply capture the output of the command:
cat /proc/asound/*
during a normal run would either confirm or rule out that card duplication as a cause.
"
(a) Would you like me to restore a pupsave backup [to get back to a working system], then run that command?
(b) What then?

6. "In addition, it would be interesting to have those experiencing the problem run that command both while sound/retrovol is working and when it fails."
(a) Once I know HOW [in detail], I could do it also during a fail-state.