Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Warrior522

#301 Post by Warrior522 »

pemasu wrote:Warrior522. Exprimo ships with 2 window managers.
I presume you mean e17 - enlightenment.
Left click desktop > settings > settings panel > input > mouse buttons > search right click + alt, delete that key binding > apply > close. Done.
Nope, the other one... and I meant to post this in the other Exprimo thread, but I was in a rush and misread the title... >.<

csshin

Asix USB ethernet adapter Driver

#302 Post by csshin »

I am using Exprimo 5.X.10.2 on Asus Zenbook UX31 which got an Asix USB ethernet adapter. It cannot be recognized by Icepuppy014, Exprimo 5X9 and 5X10. I downloaded new driver from Asix

http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driv ... Source.zip

It consists of 4 files: asix.c asix.h MakeFile and a readme.

I installed the devx sfs for Exprimo 5.X.10 and try to compile. However when I navigated to the directory containing the above driver files and typed "make", I got the error "cannot find the build directory in /lib/module/.... If I create the build directory first. The error became "cannot find rule to make" .

The same

I appreciate any help.

csshin

Battery low warning missing

#303 Post by csshin »

I am using Exprimo 5X10 on Asus Zenbook UX31. It got a battery indicator in the tray that shows the remaining charge and nothing else.

I used Exprimo 5X9 before and the same battery indicator shows the remaining time as well as charge. Also it will give a pop-up warning when the battery is getting low and critically low, at remaining charge percentages specified by user. The same functionality as that in Puppeee which I have used on a EEEpc. Such additional information (esp. the battery low warning) is highly useful. Without it I encountered sudden switch off of the laptop in the middle of work due to used up battery.

I compare Exprimo 5X9 and 5X10 and find the difference may be due to a missing vattery program in the start-up and the accompanying vattery-acpitool and vattery-ibam. I tried to copied from 5X9 but these failed to run with an error of segmentation fault.

Is it possible to have the battery warning back in Exprimo 5X10?

csshin

#304 Post by csshin »

I running Exprimo 5.X.10.2 on a Asus Zenbook UX31.

When I plug the external monitor in before booting the laptop, all display went to the external monitor and the laptop got a black screen. If I hot plug it, the external monitor was not recognized.

The laptop used intel's shared graphic (Sandy bridge, with a core i7 cpu). Do I need to install some additional driver to get a dual monitor, able to switch between the monitors and change the resolution of the monitors independently?

smokey01

#305 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu I have been using your wonderful pups for quite some time, however only with an ethernet internet connection.

I have just discovered that my wifi connection is not working.

Do you have the ar9179usb wifi driver included? I'm pretty sure it's included in puppy 525 and 528.

stu90

#306 Post by stu90 »

Hi Pemasu,
Run into a few problems on Exprimo 5.X.10.2.

No B43 wireless - copied b43 from D-lite but have to use a script in /etc/init.d to modprobe b43 to get it to load on boot.

Ugly/clipped font rendering - rolled back to earlier fontconfig in /etc/font

/etc/acpi/sleep.sh is not working - first run complained of ehci_hcd not found in /proc/modules - plugged in unplugged a USB drive then run sleep.sh again in terminal no error message but script does not sleep/suspend ?
EDIT:
using the command echo mem > /sys/power/state will suspend system :)

cheers.

pemasu

#307 Post by pemasu »

Forum is now working, it seems, lol. I will check the reported problems.

csshin. To compile kernel module driver you need devx sfs and kernel source sfs of used kernel. Both can be found from smokey01.com/pemasu folders.

About Vattery. Yes it is out. I will include now the pet without vattery-acpitool. It seqfaults but vattery and vattery-ibam works.

About ar9179usb module. It looks like I dont have it included. I will check my kernel compile .config specs and I try to trace the needed module.
Smokey01, is that ar9179usb the exact kernel module which is missing

B43 firmware loading and b43 autoloading does not work with 3.X kernels. Even Barry Kauler has not found solution, yet. I am clueless.

Sleep.sh does not suspend anymore if you have usb plugged in. Not sure if it is good thing or bad thing. But Beem reported that usb plugged in and suspending causes change of hdd naming like sda1 to sdb1 or something like that. But your solution, stu90, seems to work also. Might try that also.

About font rendering. I will check to what I have changed it.

My next month. I will be very busy. Firstly I am at Lapland, Saariselkä, skiing with 38 other skiers 2.12 - 10.12. I will organize that ski camp. When I come back from that vacation, I will have more work than I would like to have. I wont be very active with Puppy until January 2012.
Attachments
vattery-0.0.1.pet
(51.94 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

stu90

#308 Post by stu90 »

Pemasu - no problem.
If you happen to see Santa Claus when you are skiing in Lapland can you ask him to bring me a new laptop for Christmas :lol:
Wish we had some snow here in the UK - had a heap last year but none so far this year not even a frost :(

pemasu

#309 Post by pemasu »

You should check the finnish santa claus movie called Rare exports:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/

I recommend it. Have seen it.

James C

#310 Post by James C »

EDIT;
Post removed as problem was already solved by pemasu.
Last edited by James C on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#311 Post by pemasu »

James C. In 5.X.10.2 I have applied that fix in building stage. So....the woof has applied it already. It is preinstalled.

James C

#312 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:James C. In 5.X.10.2 I have applied that fix in building stage. So....the woof has applied it already. It is preinstalled.
Guess I tried to fix something that wasn't broken. :lol:

pemasu

#313 Post by pemasu »

James C. No problem. Activity and helpful posts is what we need. I just hurried to tell that bug should be fixed already.

Jim1911

Dell Laptop

#314 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Frugal installation on my Dell laptop is flawless. Everything appears to be working as it should including video setup, wifi setup, wireless mouse, touchpad, etc.

This distribution is your best to date.

Thanks,
Jim :D

radky

#315 Post by radky »

In Exprimo 5.X.10.2, the firewall wizard reports successful sanity checks and a secure network address, but it seems the corresponding ip_tables (kernel modules) are not actually loaded.

shinobar

PPM problem

#316 Post by shinobar »

I have to say the new kernels with aufs makes problem under PUPMODE=13(flash).
I reported it's OK, but i found it takes so long time say 10 minutes to recover from a like freeze.
I recommend to kill the PPM new function, direct-write to save layer, as the Slacko-5.3 does.

I made a I18n'd PPM which also fixes some issue:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64708
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

pemasu

#317 Post by pemasu »

# ./rc.firewall
-> Projectfiles.com Linux Firewall version 2.0rc9 running.
-> Performing sanity checks...... [ PASSED ]
-> Building firewall.... [ DONE ]
-> Successfully secured the following addresses: 192.168.0.171.

I believed this message. But...I have got earlier posts about firewall is malfunctioning.
Now I have checked the modules. There really is missing modules concerning firewall. I will compare my specs to previous puppy specs (.config) and I will then add them (means recompiling the kernel) and if I am lucky I can just add the missing modules to the kernel pet. If I am not lucky, it means new recompiled kernel.
Lets see....

Thank you Radky and others which posted about firewall malfunction. Now I believe.

pemasu

#318 Post by pemasu »

Shinobar. I will test your petget pet. Missing Ziggy interface though. Better functionality is the main thing. Usability comes next. I can live without Ziggy if the petget works better for flash usage.

If I leave the original /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh which preserves Ziggy, does it has any side-effects ?

pemasu

#319 Post by pemasu »

I had compiled most net filtering stuff as static. That is main reason there wasnt any modules visible with lsmod. But also I had left some needed out for firewall wizard script to work. Now net filtering section is as Barry tick it.
I have fixed (hopefully) the firewall modules in kernel .config. Unfortunately this means that there will be new kernel compile, in process now.
There is in /etc/init.d/firewall script by Iguleder. Give it executable permissions and you have basic firewall on at every boot until next text exprimo is out with working firewall wizard. I will start my trip to Lapland Friday. My next test build will be uploaded after I come back.

shinobar

petget

#320 Post by shinobar »

pemasu wrote:If I leave the original /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh which preserves Ziggy, does it has any side-effects ?
  1. Sync with the recent woof(18 Nov 2011)
  2. Fix the menu was reverted to English at install/uninstall
  3. Always show splash to avoid to be silent
  4. Avoid in some kernels(slacko/dpup) and some hardware got freeze under PUPMODE=13
  5. Avoid was messing up with save interval=0 under PUPMODE=13
The feature 1 and 4-5 maybe OK. May loose 2-3. But i am not resposible.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]