Gtkdialog Development

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
01micko

#401 Post by 01micko »

hi Barry

I don't know that anything can be done with <combobox> as it was deprecated as of gtk+-2.4. See here .. Thunor states this on page 1 of this thread.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#402 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:hi Barry

I don't know that anything can be done with <combobox> as it was deprecated as of gtk+-2.4. See here .. Thunor states this on page 1 of this thread.
Oh, ok. I presume then that <comboboxtext> is using the new GtkComboBoxEntry functions.

Then we still need to tackle, if possible, the double-popup problem if use <default> tag with <comoboboxtext>.

Oh yes, I got it wrong with Xdialog in BootManager. The drop-down list to add a new module is slow, but it is using Xdialog. So the slowness of long lists in the dropdown box applies to Xdialog also.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

thunor
Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

#403 Post by thunor »

Hi Barry

Sorry for the delay in replying as I'm busy looking for a new job and apartment which is consuming much of my time (and motivation) :?
BarryK wrote:...
Racy 5.1.110 has /usr/sbin/quicksetup that has <comboboxtext> tags, with quite a lot of items. It also uses the <default> tag.
However, when we click on one of these comboboxes, the list pops up then immediately disappears. We have to click again, then it pops up and stays up. However, if we press the left mouse button and hold it down, the list stays up.
Note, the list is quite long, goes right from top to bottom of screen.
I've just tried your attached application on my PIII 866MHz, lupu-520, GTK+ 2.20.0.

I ran it from the terminal and it took about 13 seconds for the application to appear.

A normal length click on the first comboboxtext (262 items) took 1.46s to appear the first time but after that 0.8s.
Positioning the mouse over the arrows top or bottom of the list so that it scrolls as fast as possible uses 35% CPU.

A normal length click on the second comboboxtext (234 items) took 1.41s to appear the first time but after that 0.8s.
Positioning the mouse over the arrows top or bottom of the list so that it scrolls as fast as possible uses 33% CPU.

A normal length click on the third comboboxtext (44 items) took 0.64s to appear the first time but after that it was too fast to measure.
List scrolling can't be measured as it's not long enough.

There's no CPU usage if the application is not interacted with.

I did not experience the list appearing and then disappearing.

Holding down the mouse button works the same way as it does in menus i.e. you hold it down whilst traversing the list and when you let go the list closes. It's clearer to see this if you use the comboboxtext_advanced example which is a lot faster.

Therefore for me it's working as expected.
BarryK wrote:So, for Racy 5.2.1.90 I have changed to <combobox>, but that does not support <default> -- which is ok, I just put the default item first in the list.
However, after releasing latest Racy, testers have found that when a list is brought up, CPU usage becomes very high. On older CPUs, scrolling the list becomes extremely slow.

This morning I found a solution. I have gone back to <comboboxtext> but do not use the <default> tag. Now, do not get the double-popup problem. I have attached this latest script.

My question, are these two problems GTK problems, not specifically gtkdialog problems? in which case, nothing we can do. Or, can either of them be fixed in gtkdialog?
Using the comboboxtext_advanced example which includes the old combobox widget, the combobox gives me invalid "depressed" signal warnings and I have to fight for control of my window when manipulating the ones with tag attributes set, and as Mick has already indicated, GTK+ deprecated this a long time ago which equates to it not being maintained so that's why I'm not recommending it to Gtkdialog application developers.

The <default> directive: right at the start before the user sees the application window, the comboboxtext widget is initialised with data and then the contents of the default directive are used to select a matching item. That's it, an iteration through the list and then a change of the selected item. That code is then finished with, GTK+ shows the application and the user interacts with it.
BarryK wrote:A further note on extreme slowness with <combobox>. It is not a specifically gtkdialog4 problem, gtkdialog3 exhibits it also.

Wary and Racy testers have reported the problem with /usr/sbin/remove_builtin and /usr/sbin/bootmanager, that use gtkdialog3.

I just checked bootmanager with my fast laptop, chose to add a new module, the dropdown list is quite long, yes, unbearably slow. Even on my fast machine.

I do not recall this problem before. Perhaps it is a problem with gtk 2.45.x -- well, most likely it is.

However, we can have long lists in Xdialog (with gtk 2.45.x), and they are not slow, nor do they hog the CPU. So, that would indicate that there is something that gtkdialog is doing that is causing the problem.
The fact that Xdialog's combobox (it looks like the old GtkComBox <combobox> widget) is faster is interesting.

I want to do some quick tests on my lupu-520 anyway, but if I was to try Racy then which is the recommended version?

Regards,
Thunor

thunor

#404 Post by thunor »

BarryK wrote:Oh, ok. I presume then that <comboboxtext> is using the new GtkComboBoxEntry functions.

Then we still need to tackle, if possible, the double-popup problem if use <default> tag with <comoboboxtext>.

Oh yes, I got it wrong with Xdialog in BootManager. The drop-down list to add a new module is slow, but it is using Xdialog. So the slowness of long lists in the dropdown box applies to Xdialog also.
I've had a look on your blog and from what you've said here sounds like a GTK+ problem. I'd like to be able to experience these problems though so just post a link to a Racy ISO.

Is there another GTK+ non-Gtkdialog application that has a comboboxtext widget with lots of items that can be tested for comparison?

Regards,
Thunor

thunor

#405 Post by thunor »

Your application wrote /var/local/quicksetup-timezone-table-x which is a list of 234 items so I'm loading that and multiples of that into a single 202px wide comboboxtext with a default "US/Samoa "." off" as a test.

On lupu-520, PIII 866MHz, GTK+ 2.20.0:

234 items in one comboboxtext:
App load time: 1.07s
comboboxtext list initial show time: 0.50s
comboboxtext list subsequent show time: 0.30s
CPU usage when scrolling: 32%

234x2 items in one comboboxtext:
App load time: 2.10s
comboboxtext list initial show time: 1.17s
comboboxtext list subsequent show time: 0.55s
CPU usage when scrolling: 52%

234x3 items in one comboboxtext:
App load time: 3.28s
comboboxtext list initial show time: 2.16s
comboboxtext list subsequent show time: 0.76s
CPU usage when scrolling: 60% to 70% but it gets erratic

234x4 items in one comboboxtext:
App load time: 4.58s
comboboxtext list initial show time: 3.21s
comboboxtext list subsequent show time: 1.19s
234x10 items in one comboboxtext:
App load time: 16.82s
comboboxtext list initial show time: 15.35s
comboboxtext list subsequent show time: 2.62s

This is my test app which uses a copy of /var/local/quicksetup-timezone-table-x as /tmp/test and just keep editing it and multiplying its contents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

GTKDIALOG=gtkdialog

## Create a temporary directory.
TEMP_DIR=$(mktemp -d)
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	echo "Error: Couldn't create temporary directory."
	exit 1
fi

echo '
<window title="BarryK - comboboxtext speed issues" resizable="false">
	<vbox>
		<comboboxtext width-request="202">
			<default>US/Samoa "." off</default>
			<input file>/tmp/test</input>
		</comboboxtext>
		<hbox homogeneous="true">
			<button ok></button>
		</hbox>
	</vbox>
	<action signal="hide">exit:Exit</action>
</window>
' > $TEMP_DIR/dialog_main

## Run the main application.
$GTKDIALOG -f $TEMP_DIR/dialog_main

## Remove the temporary files.
rm -rf $TEMP_DIR
Regards,
Thunor

thunor

#406 Post by thunor »

vovchik wrote:Dear thunor,

Would it be possible to add the following:

gtk_window_set_icon_from_file(long,char*,void*)
to the window code so as to allow for user-defined pixmaps as window/taskbar icons? I have used that gtk call in progs in C and Bacon myself, so I know it is a cinch. All that is needed, apart from the imported function, is an appropriate tag_attr, which, along side the existing icon-name="gtk-xxxx" could be something like pixmap="path to img". Any thoughts?

With kind regards,
vovchik
I've created a feature request for it :)

Regards,
Thunor

Argolance

#407 Post by Argolance »

Hello Thunor,
This is what I noticed while testing/working with latest scripts given as examples 'v/hscale_advanced' from svn repository.

Wary 5.2.2 - gtk 2 24 8 - gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor. Could not compile gtkdialog version 0.8.1 from svn repository.
Console:
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:64: error: duplicate member 'GSEAL'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:65: error: duplicate member 'GSEAL'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:65: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:67: error: duplicate member 'GSEAL'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:67: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:67: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:68: error: duplicate member 'GSEAL'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:68: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:68: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
make[3]: *** [gtkdialog.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/gtkdialog/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/gtkdialog/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/gtkdialog'
make: *** [all] Error 2
  • - Floating point value=point (example: 0.20) works with en locale, doesn't work when=comma (example: 0,20)
    - Floating point value=point (example: 0.20) doesn't work with es, de, es locales, works when=comma (example: 0,20)
Just for info (... looking at what you explained about my previous-solved problem, I well understand that this is 'normal'l) :)
Puppy 431 - gtk 2 14 7 - gtkdialog version 0.8.1 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor (self compiled from svn repository: november 21)
  • - Floating point value=point (example: 0.20) doesn't work with en, es, de, fr locales.
Console:
(gtkdialog:26888): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_hscale_new_with_range: assertion `step != 0.0' failed

(gtkdialog:26888): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_range_set_value: assertion `GTK_IS_RANGE (range)' failed
ERROR:variables.c:113:variables_new_with_widget: assertion failed: (widget != NULL)
/root/gtkdialog/examples/hscale/hscale_advanced_point: line 103: 26888 Aborted
$GTKDIALOG --program=MAIN_DIALOG
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.
  • - Floating point value=comma (example: 0,20) works with en, es, de, fr locales.
I am tearing my hair!
Any idea?

Regards.

thunor

#408 Post by thunor »

Argolance wrote:I am tearing my hair!
Any idea?

Regards.
Hi Argolance

I'm overloaded with things to do in my life. It looks like your GTK+ headers need looking at so you should focus your attention on that. "GSEAL" is not in Gtkdialog anywhere.

Just give me a very simple Gtkdialog example of what you want to do in your native locale and if it errors then show me the output.

Cheers,
Thunor

Argolance

#409 Post by Argolance »

Hello thunor,
I'm overloaded with things to do in my life.
I read that somewhere on a thread... Sorry to stole a bit of your precious time. Good luck and success for what you are doing and thank you very much for your kind attention...

While running the script below with Wary 5.2.2 - gtk 2 24 8 - gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor. Fresh install out of the box (live cd + save.3fs file)

#!/bin/sh

GTKDIALOG=gtkdialog

export MAIN_DIALOG="
<window title=\" HScale comma test \" resizable=\"false\">
	<vbox>
			<frame hscale widget>
				<hscale value-pos=\"0\" space-expand=\"true\" space-fill=\"true\" width-request=\"200\" height-request=\"20\" range-min=\"0,0\" range-max=\"30,0\" range-step=\"0,1\" range-value=\"15,0\">
				<variable>VARIABLE</variable>
				</hscale>
			</frame>
		<hbox homogeneous=\"true\">
			<button ok></button>
		</hbox>
	</vbox>
	<action signal=\"hide\">exit:Exit</action> 
</window>
"

case $1 in
	-d | --dump) echo "$MAIN_DIALOG" ;;
	*) $GTKDIALOG --program=MAIN_DIALOG ;;
esac
  • - Floating value=point (example: 0.1) works when Puppy is configured for en locales countries (en_US, en_GB...), doesn't work when floating value=comma (example: 0,1... see error message above in my previous post)
    - Floating value=point (example: 0.1) doesn't work when Puppy is configured for locales fr, es, de, es (fr_CA, es_ES... see error message above in my previous post), works when floating value=comma (example: 0,1)
And vice-versa with this same script where points (.) are replaced with commas (,): (example: 0,1)

#!/bin/sh

GTKDIALOG=gtkdialog

export MAIN_DIALOG="
<window title=\" HScale point test \" resizable=\"false\">
	<vbox>
			<frame hscale widget>
				<hscale value-pos=\"0\" space-expand=\"true\" space-fill=\"true\" width-request=\"200\" height-request=\"20\" range-min=\"0.0\" range-max=\"30.0\" range-step=\"0.1\" range-value=\"15,0\">
				<variable>VARIABLE</variable>
				</hscale>
			</frame>
		<hbox homogeneous=\"true\">
			<button ok></button>
		</hbox>
	</vbox>
	<action signal=\"hide\">exit:Exit</action> 
</window>
"

case $1 in
	-d | --dump) echo "$MAIN_DIALOG" ;;
	*) $GTKDIALOG --program=MAIN_DIALOG ;;
esac
More: Could not compile gtkdialog version 0.8.1 from svn repository, devx_wary_5.2.2.sfs installed.: See error message in my previous post.

Hope this is clear!

Best regards.

thunor

#410 Post by thunor »

I asked Francois to test it on his Ubuntu computer.

I then thought why don't I change my lupu-520 system to French so I did that and it worked fine.

So, can you compile gtkdialog-0.8.0 on your computer? Download the source package and try it. All I've done between 0.8.0 and 0.8.1 is to remove a dodgy strlen() call from the XML-from-envar loading routine and update some examples. Nothing else.
Attachments
argolance-hscale-comma-issue.png
HScale works in French using comma delimiters on lupu-520
(35.2 KiB) Downloaded 1513 times

Argolance

#411 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
HScale works in French using comma delimiters on lupu-520
... Yes, and with Wary too! Here is not the problem I tried to explain above. This script using comma doesn't work in English (setup country locale en_US for example)... unless replacing commas to points.
Inversly, HScale using point delimiters works fine in English but not in French (setup country locale fr_FR). The same in es, de, etc...
I then thought why don't I change my lupu-520 system to French so I did that and it worked fine.
But did you simply try this "comma" script with English en_* locale?

I have got this problem with too different PCs running Wary 5.2.2... and pemasu, who tested my scripts (using the same hscale code!) encountered this issue to!

Best regards

thunor

#412 Post by thunor »

I got a reply from Francois:
For me your code are ok
extract of my export cmd:
declare -x LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8"
declare -x LANGUAGE="fr_FR:en"

tested on Ubuntu 11.04 32bits
and gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor
I think that you should get another French user with the same distribution as you to test your example. Also try another locale that uses commas. I'm guessing that your GTK+ is unwell and it might be a good idea to post this problem in a wary 5.2.2 thread, perhaps this one.

Good luck,
Thunor
Attachments
hscale.gif
(61.4 KiB) Downloaded 1452 times

thunor

#413 Post by thunor »

Ok sorry, I misunderstood what you are explaining.

I see now. It shouldn't matter if it's written with decimal points or decimal commas, it should just work across any locales without modification.

I need to do some tests on the Gtkdialog code.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Regards,
Thunor

Argolance

#414 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Thank you! Great animated gif!
and it might be a good idea to post this problem in a wary 5.2.2 thread, perhaps this one.
This is what I did at the same time I sent my previous post in this one...

It's time for me to go to bed now... :wink:

Regards

Argolance

#415 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
I discovered your latest post after sending mine!
Ok sorry, I misunderstood what you are explaining.
I guess my explanations were probably not very clear: I sincerely tried though! Sorry! Pleased that you finally understood what is the issue.

"See" you soon!

Regards.

thunor

#416 Post by thunor »

I just had to have a look :D

I understand now what I need to do: The C functions cannot be expected to extract doubles from strings that could contain either separators in any locale. The string needs to match the locale. Therefore if you want portable Gtkdialog pseudo-XML then I'm going to have to convert the separators within the strings to match the locale! Blimey...

Bed time (and think time)...

Argolance

#417 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
@ thunor
Did you sleep with one eye opened or like a log?
I understand now what I need to do
:D
For a long time, I noticed something else which has perhaps (in)directly something to do with the issue related above and concerning the latest release of JWM. In my xerrs.log, I am always getting these errors lines:
JWM: warning: invalid tray opacity: 0.8
JWM: warning: invalid menu opacity: 0.8
Tray and menu opacity did not work properly anymore!

:wink: Bed time (and think time)... I then thought why don't I replace points of the opacity values with commas in the /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme?
So I did that.
And it worked fine! :D :D

. <TrayStyle>

<Background>#777777</Background>

<Opacity>0,5</Opacity>

</TrayStyle>
Regards!

thunor

#418 Post by thunor »

I've had a good think about this now.

The problem is that the C functions such as atof() and strtod() will be expecting the correct decimal separator for the user's locale, but the application will have been written using any locale which is unknown.

There are two ways I can currently think of to deal with this:

1. Pass the XML's locale as an option to gtkdialog on the command-line e.g. gtkdialog --source-locale=fr_FR -p MAIN_DIALOG. I've identified about 16 places within Gtkdialog's C code that will require modification for this, and I'll also need to add the code to support the "--source-locale" option. Is there a problem with this method? Well, there are a multitude of LC_* variables affecting localisation and I'm not realistically going to be able to support all those on the command-line. Also this doesn't deal with what the application developer is doing outside of Gtkdialog i.e. reading and writing files with decimal separators or using commands that output decimal separators.

2. Deal with this in the application script. The application developer reads LC_NUMERIC, LC_ALL and/or LANG and then decides which decimal separator to use within the script. So instead of hardcoding "0,1" in your XML you would instead set DS="," and then use "0${DS}1". If you the developer are reading and writing files and using commands that include decimal separators then you should be writing your application to deal with the user's locale.

Now, you might expect me to prefer method 2 as then I don't have to do any work :P But if you think about it, the XML/script and the developer's brain must operate in the user's locale, not expect the user's C library, executables and shell to be adjusted to deal with your script.

Let me know what you think or infact anyone who has an opinion on the matter.

Regards,
Thunor

thunor

#419 Post by thunor »

Hi Argolance

I think we're posting at the same time again :) I've only just noticed that you posted before me.

I like to have a problem to sleep on. My head hits the pillow, I think how I'm going to solve the problem, I find a solution, and then I'm asleep :P

So then, using your opacity issue as an example, if the value within jwmrc-theme was modified using the wrong decimal separator by some Gtkdialog application then the application developer should make sure that he is using the correct decimal separator for the user's locale.

[EDIT] Since Puppy Linux is built so much from Gtkdialog apps, I'm sure that other folk have already trodden this path. It might be new for us to think about but I'm certain somebody has already dealt with this before.

Regards,
Thunor

thunor

#420 Post by thunor »

This is how you could approach it:

#!/bin/sh 

GTKDIALOG=gtkdialog 

funcDecimalMarkGet() {
	local language

## LC_ALL takes precedence over LC_NUMERIC
	## and if both are null then use LANG.
	language=$LC_ALL
	if [ -z "$language" ]; then language=$LC_NUMERIC; fi
	if [ -z "$language" ]; then language=$LANG; fi

## language[_territory][.codeset][@modifier]
	language=${language%@*}
	language=${language%.*}
	language=${language%_*}
	language=`echo $language | tr A-Z a-z`

## This'll do for a start.
	case "$language" in
		en | jp | cn ) echo '.' ;;
		*) echo ',' ;;
	esac
}

DM=`funcDecimalMarkGet`

MAIN_DIALOG='
<window title="Decimal Mark Test" resizable="true"> 
	<vbox> 
		<frame hscale widget>
			<hscale space-expand="true" space-fill="true"
				width-request="200" height-request="20"
				value-pos="0"
				range-min="0'$DM'3" range-max="30'$DM'7"
				range-step="0'$DM'1" range-value="15'$DM'5">
				<variable>HSCALE</variable>
			</hscale>
		</frame> 
		<hbox homogeneous="true">
			<button ok></button>
		</hbox>
	</vbox>
	<action signal="hide">exit:Exit</action>
</window>
'

export DM
export MAIN_DIALOG

$GTKDIALOG --program=MAIN_DIALOG
Regards,
Thunor
Last edited by thunor on Wed 30 Nov 2011, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.