SAMBA - Use to share your Puppy content on your home network

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gcmartin

SAMBA - Use to share your Puppy content on your home network

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This thread addresses how to use a Puppy distro to share folders in your LAN community using SAMBA.

This thread is a work in progress to try to address the specifics of sharing from the perspective of each separate distro. this is because each distro can provide its own unique way for the SAMBA subsystem to be made available to its users.

Because Puppy is a varied collection of kernels and package management repositories, I felt it best to try to provide individual documents for many of the primary Puppy Linux distros.

Guides for the following Distros included in this threadPlease post to this thread for assistance in "sharing" content with your LAN PC users should you have problems

On the forum, there is this other thread on SAMBA here, as well, Its information is formatted a little differently to ease use of SAMBA.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 16:26, edited 26 times in total.

gcmartin

Instructions for LightHouse64 users (similar for Slacko use)

#2 Post by gcmartin »

There is a very simple easy to use document for sharing using LightHouse64 (LH64).

LH64 uses a version of sharing (SAMBA) that makes it capable to conect as well as allow connections to all 2009-2011 devices (SMB2 protocol units.).

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 16 May 2014, 01:07, edited 3 times in total.

gcmartin

Placeholder for Lighthouse (32bit versions)

#3 Post by gcmartin »

coming in the future
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Instructions for SLACKO 5.3.x users

#4 Post by gcmartin »

There is a very simple easy to use document for sharing using SLACKO 5.3.x (SPUP) .

SPUP uses a version of sharing (SAMBA) that makes it capable to conect as well as allow connections to all 2009-2011 devices that attach to Windows and MACs (SMB2 protocol units.).

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 22:30, edited 3 times in total.

gcmartin

Placeholder for Puppy 5.2.8

#5 Post by gcmartin »

There is a very simple easy to use document for sharing using PUPPY 5.2x (PUPPY) .

PUPPY uses a version of sharing (SAMBA) that makes it capable to conect as well as allow connections to all 2009-2011 devices that attach to Windows and MACs (SMB2 protocol units.).

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Placeholder for RACY/WARY

#6 Post by gcmartin »

coming in the future

gcmartin

Placeholder for Squeeze-Exprimo

#7 Post by gcmartin »

There is a very simple easy to use document for sharing using EXPRIMO 5.x (EXPRIMO) .

EXPRIMO uses a version of sharing (SAMBA) that makes it capable to conect as well as allow connections to all 2009-2011 devices that attach to Windows and MACs (SMB2 protocol units.).

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 23 Jan 2012, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Placeholder for FATSlacko

#8 Post by gcmartin »

There is a very simple easy to use document for sharing using FATSLACKO (SPUP) .

FATSLACKO uses a version of sharing (SAMBA) that makes it capable to connect as well as allow connections to all 2009-2011 devices that attach to Windows and MACs (SMB2 protocol units.).

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

Placeholder for FATDOG

#9 Post by gcmartin »

Coming in the future, a SAMBA guide for FATDOG 7xx/8xx

Pristine usage
To use SAMBA in FATDOG-V6xx, a user MUST know that a Control Panel utility MUST be run so that the OOTB SAMBA server can provide sharing to the LAN community. The following figure depicts this need and it is advised to Enable and to Start the SAMBA server..Image
Running the following command shows what is initially being shared.

Code: Select all

# smbclient -U% -L localhost
WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
Failed to load upcase.dat, will use lame ASCII-only case sensitivity rules
Failed to load lowcase.dat, will use lame ASCII-only case sensitivity rules
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.12]

Sharename   Type    Comment
	---------           ----      -------
	data            Disk      Downloads
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (fatdog64-9e6-SMB)
	CUPS-PDF    Printer   CUPS-PDF
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.12]

Server                   Comment
	---------                    -------
	FATDOG64-9E6         fatdog64-9e6-SMB

Workgroup               Master
	---------                     -------
	WORKGROUP            FATDOG64-9E6
There is no Guide at this time for FATDOG tailoring for any user needs. This FATDOG does not fully participate with some modern smb protocols and devices.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 16:47, edited 8 times in total.

Snail

Seamonkey Guide minor comments

#10 Post by Snail »

Thank you for this guide. I have a few comments that I hope may help to improve this very helpful document:

Ironically I wasn't able to open the Google docs site in Seamonkey and had to use Firefox to view it. That is probably something I've done however.

Both my Wifi routers issue IP addresses beginning with 10. not 198. . I believe that this is very common with WiFi routers, which are by far the most common home router type in my country. It might help avoid noob confusion if this was mentioned.

The last link on the Seamonkey page points to the Slacko announcement, not the 528 one.

Have you considered getting this information added to the Puppy Help 101 page, which is a file built into the 528 sfs? Or at least getting a link to your site added there?

neerajkolte

#11 Post by neerajkolte »

Nice set of guides.
Thanks gcmartin.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

neerajkolte

#12 Post by neerajkolte »

Nice set of guides.
Thanks gcmartin.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

gcmartin

Share files from LxPUP64 to your LAN neighbors

#13 Post by gcmartin »

There is a very simple easy to use document for sharing using LxPUP64 (SPUP) .

LxPUP64 uses a version of sharing (SAMBA) that makes it capable to conect as well as allow connections to all 2009-2015 devices that attach to Windows and MACs (all known SMB protocol units).

Hope this helps

gcmartin

Share files from EmSee to your LAN neighbors

#14 Post by gcmartin »

There is a very simple easy to use document for sharing using EmSee (SPUP) .

EmSee uses a version of sharing (SAMBA) that makes it capable to conect as well as allow connections to all 2009-2015 devices that attach to Windows and MACs (all known SMB protocol units).

Hope this helps

gcmartin

Pristine TahrPUP - Sharing content with others on your LAN

#15 Post by gcmartin »

There is a very simple easy to use document for sharing using TahrPUP (UPUP) .

TahrPUP uses a version of sharing (SAMBA) that makes it capable to conect as well as allow connections to all 2009-2015 devices that attach to Windows and MACs (all known SMB protocol units).

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Tahrpup already has Samba built-in. As a common courtesy to 666philb, you should at least mention that before instructing users to install a different package.

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Maybe you should read the document for a better understanding.

All documents allow for comments.

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Seems a fairly comprehensive guide... and the point is about providing and setting up a SAMBA server not just the client ...the current exercise with packages was to see if it could be shrunk and made a bit more friendly for easier inclusion in puppy. The guides are there for general file sharing help though the package I have played with is referred to.

I have worked on the package/gui...I have not contributed towards any guides ...though as mentioned anyone is welcome to chime in... for matters clarity, additional information or perhaps mention any errors in the usual way of informative blogs/document.
Time and effort has obviously been expended to produce such documentation on a voluntary basis regardless of how the information has been compiled.

The name of the game is making improvements and helping users.

mike

gcmartin

Placeholder for Instructions for Appril users

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Guide coming in the future

RickGT351

#20 Post by RickGT351 »

Are there going to be insructions for Precise (eg 5.7.1) or are they hiding somewhere already