Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jades

#641 Post by Jades »

nooby wrote:When will they ever learn. Never ever under no cicumstance upgrade. Always always start afresh and make everythings fresh install :)
Or at least make sure that your save is backed up first, in case something does go wrong.
nooby wrote:That is the Puppy rule man! :) Yes I am a sinner too. When the old works so well it is a core to install everythign again but the rule is there for a reason. Do a new install and not an upgrade!
I've generally been lucky with upgrades. One of the wierdest things I've seen during testing was in the run-up to Lupu 520. I'd been using the same Lucisave on the K6 since Luci 238 without problems right up to Luci 246. Once the RC Lupu 516 came out I found I couldn't create new saves. After a lot of testing, I found that the problem had actually started in Luci 242 but I hadn't noticed it at the time as I wasn't creating new saves.

Now, of course, creating a new save is a major part of my testing but I generally upgrade.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

playdayz

#642 Post by playdayz »

The script should probably be altered to quit cleanly and error if it can't find what it's looking for. I
Yes it is changed Jades

Install Flashplayer. Adobe moves Flashplayer so the original GetFlash is obsolete. This program prevents obsolescence. Run it every week or two to keep up with the latest Flashplayer. ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ll-0.1.pet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who use Three-Headed Dog, Instant Update 001 for 3HD is posted in the first message of that thread. This is an improvement over the RC. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

Brown Mouse

#643 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:
would like (no offense..!) to open files with the best software package to handle them. And Openoffice supports more file formats then Abiword, and displays less garbage when I throw microsoft documents at it.
Volhout, I tend to agree with you but as you say, Abiword is in Puppy for size reasons--IMHO simply small size would not be a good enough reason, but Abiword does also open *simple* docx files reasonably well, and I bet that most files people come across and need to open are docx. For more serious work, there is Libre Office.

I would have thought that changing the defaultwordprocessor would cause word processor files to open in Libre Writer. For spreadsheets you would need to change defaultspreadsheet. And I am not sure about presentation files, since there is not a default presentation program. This all could be automated--with some work--right now we are using 01micko's Get LibreOffice program to make installing easy. He could possibly add the defaults to that program, if he could find the time and you ask nicely ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Super Multimedia Update for Lucid 5.2.8 will not be released. There is a bug in the new mplayer that screws up DVD menus worse than ever. If you like it there is nothing wrong with it other than that, but since one reason for upgrading was to *fix* the problem with DVD menus it seems pointless to make it official. XineDVD is the default DVD player and has no problem with menus, but it seemed that since gnome-mplayer is right there on the desktop it should play DVD's at least decently, and it does with Instant Update 002.. XineDVD also has better quality with Instant Update 002.

However, Pmusic_Update for Lucid 5.2.8 is released. It provides the dependencies to update Pmusic to version 2.2.2 (and then further updates of Pmusic can be installed from the Pmusic thread).

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusi ... cid528.pet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People might want to look at the first message of this thread. It now has the Instant Update 002, plus sections for Recommended Updates and Optional Updates.
Hi playdayz

Are you referring to the one that is currently the RC Super Multimedia Update? :?

playdayz

#644 Post by playdayz »

The Super Multimedia Update for Lucid 5.2.8 will not be released

Are you referring to the one that is currently the RC Super Multimedia Update?
Yes nooby. There is a problem with the newer mplayer version leaving a box on the screen after selecting from a DVD menu. Instead of the SWM (Super Multimedia Update), there is a Pmusic_Upgrade which has the other half of the Multimedia Upgrade, and provides the dependencies for running Pmusic 2.2.2.

Pmusic Upgrade provides the dependencies to upgrade Pmusic to version 2.2.2, and then further updates can be downloaded from the pmusic thread http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusi ... cid528.pet

If for some reason you like the Multimedia Upgrade and you don't play DVD's with gnome-mplayer then you can leave it installed or uninstall it. If you uninstall it, then gnome-mplayer will do better with DVD menus--though XineDVD is still the recommended default for playing DVD's. The Pmusic Upgrade is for people who want to use the latest Pmusic which has a lot of cool new features over the 1.8.3 that is in Lucid 5.2.8. The Pmusic_Upgrade is not small however, 3.7MB because of the dependencies.

Brown Mouse

#645 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:
The Super Multimedia Update for Lucid 5.2.8 will not be released

Are you referring to the one that is currently the RC Super Multimedia Update?
Yes nooby. There is a problem with the newer mplayer version leaving a box on the screen after selecting from a DVD menu. Instead of the SWM (Super Multimedia Update), there is a Pmusic_Upgrade which has the other half of the Multimedia Upgrade, and provides the dependencies for running Pmusic 2.2.2.

Pmusic Upgrade provides the dependencies to upgrade Pmusic to version 2.2.2, and then further updates can be downloaded from the pmusic thread http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusi ... cid528.pet

If for some reason you like the Multimedia Upgrade and you don't play DVD's with gnome-mplayer then you can leave it installed or uninstall it. If you uninstall it, then gnome-mplayer will do better with DVD menus--though XineDVD is still the recommended default for playing DVD's. The Pmusic Upgrade is for people who want to use the latest Pmusic which has a lot of cool new features over the 1.8.3 that is in Lucid 5.2.8. The Pmusic_Upgrade is not small however, 3.7MB because of the dependencies.
Thanks for the clarification playdayz.

Pmusic 2.2.2 update installed,works great :D

playdayz

#646 Post by playdayz »

Pmusic 2.2.2 update installed,works great
Good news. Thanks. If anyone is wondering, it is firm now: There is the Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8 and there is the Pmusic Upgrade. That's all for a while.

Brown Mouse

#647 Post by Brown Mouse »

Playdayz

I'm not sure if this has been flagged up yet or whether it's only a problem I'm seeing.I don't even know at what point it occurred either so I cant be of much help there.
When opening Gnome-mplayer 1.0.4,from the menu>file tab there was always a choice to 'Open Audio CD'.That no longer appears and I'm also unable to add an audio cd(should I so wish) even by using 'file>open folder'option.However,if I roll back to version 0.9.9.2,from menu file>disc>open Audio cd option is present.

playdayz

#648 Post by playdayz »

When opening Gnome-mplayer 1.0.4,from the menu>file tab there was always a choice to 'Open Audio CD'.That no longer appears and I'm also unable to add an audio cd(should I so wish) even by using 'file>open folder'option.However,if I roll back to version 0.9.9.2,from menu file>disc>open Audio cd option is present.
Brown Mouse, Yes, this was a tradeoff. Version 1.0.4 had some improvements but it had a bug that prevented audio CD playback. Pmusic is now the default CD player if you click the CD, or pcd if you don't have the Pmusic Upgrade installed--CD Player/Ripper from the menu.

playdayz

#649 Post by playdayz »

Lupufy Slacko

If you like some features of Lucid that are not present in Slacko then you might find Lupufy Slacko interesting. It lists most of the Utilities that are in Lucid but not Slacko individually with links to their thread so they can be installed individually. There is also a lupufy-slacko all-in-one pet that installs them, uh, all in one.

Lupufy Slacko -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73580

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions concerning the loss of sound after it has worked for a while:

1. Does this only happen on usb installs?

2. Does it happen on an install of lupu-528.iso with no updates or other programs installed?

3. Does it happen after Instant Update 002 is installed?

4. Does it happen on Three-Headed Dog?

aarf

#650 Post by aarf »

playdayz there is a setting in 528 which stops windows going through the top of the screen when dragged by their title bar. can you tell me what it is? racy and slacko have a different setting and in them, when i do the same drag to the top of the screen, the window disappears and comes up hidden below the bottom tray. any ideas? thanks
openbox vs jwm? so i need to do openbox in racy-slacko?
edit ok fixed racy
Attachments
fixed.jpg
(16.35 KiB) Downloaded 2125 times

playdayz

#651 Post by playdayz »

playdayz there is a setting in 528 which stops windows going through the top of the screen when dragged by their title bar. can you tell me what it is? racy and slacko have a different setting and in them, when i do the same drag to the top of the screen, the window disappears and comes up hidden below the bottom tray. any ideas? thanks
openbox vs jwm?
Yes aarf, it looks like openbox vs jwm to me, In 5.2.8 I just tested and the window stopped at the top in openbox, but when I changed to jwm it went right through the roof ;-) However, the openbox that is in the Slacko repo is not configured by default exactly the same as the one in Lucid 5.2.8.

Did you install lupufy-slacko into racy? If so, did it work OK? I would think it probably would, but I haven't tested that. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8 with USB Installs

It appears that Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8 may cause a problem with sound disappearing in some USB installs. Therefore if you install to a USB drive or flash disk, or if you save files on a USB drive or flash disk, it is recommended that you do one of these three things: 1) do not install Instant Update 002; 21) use the Instant Update 002a; Instant Update 002a -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Insta ... 8-002a.pet 3) use Three-Headed Dog. For a USB install with all of the latest updates, you might wish to try Three-Headed Dog which is based on Lucid 5.2.8 but with the newer 2.6.37.6 kernel from Slacko. Three-Headed Dog is not an update of Lucid 5.2.8 so you would need to start from scratch. -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736 If you are already using Instant Update 002 with no problems, then do nothing.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 17:47, edited 3 times in total.

aarf

#652 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:
openbox vs jwm?
Yes aarf, it looks like openbox vs jwm to me, In 5.2.8 I just tested and the window stopped at the top in openbox, but when I changed to jwm it went right through the roof ;-) However, the openbox that is in the Slacko repo is not configured by default exactly the same as the one in Lucid 5.2.8.

Did you install lupufy-slacko into racy? If so, did it work OK? I would think it probably would, but I haven't tested that. Thanks.

did it work? i'd say yes. have openbox and fbpanel running in racy. title dragged windows are stopping at the top of the screen and not disappearing. can push windows higher if i use non-title alt+drag as in jwm.
other things from lupufy are there and at quick test seem to work.
for this bit
Openbox is available in the Slacko PPM as fbpanel and obconf. Use Menu -> Desktop -> WM Switcher after install to select Openbox
needs to use at prompt

Code: Select all

#startx openbox
may have to start

Code: Select all

#fbpanel
only once.

because Menu -> Desktop -> WM Switcher isnt there in racy.
above image is the pets installed in racy.
also installed separately PupSnap-1.6.1_Scrot-0.8_32Bit.pet to do screenshots

playdayz

#653 Post by playdayz »

Chromium 17 for Lucid

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Chromium is the Open Source developmental basis of Google Chrome and Srware Iron. Chromium runs 2 or 3 version numbers ahead of the other two.

Google Chrome 15 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Iron 15 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Iron is produced by Srware, which claims to remove some components that might compromise privacy. Chrome vs. Iron -> http://www.srware.net/en/software_srwar ... s_iron.php

Firefox 8.0 for Lucid -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

The screenshot is the results of the Peacekeeper browser benchmark in Lucid 5.2.8. Higher is better. The Chrome result is for Chromium 17--Google Chrome and Srware Iron score about the same as Chromium and Seamonkey scores about the same as Firefox.

Please remember to update this program for installing Flashplayer. Because Adobe has started moving the flashplayer binary the older programs are out of date. Flashplayer changes so often now that one might run this program every few weeks to make sure to have the current version. -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ll-0.1.pet
Attachments
Speed-in-Lucid.png
(45.65 KiB) Downloaded 2141 times

playdayz

#654 Post by playdayz »

There is an updated version of the Lucid 5.2.8 ISO now posted in the first message of this thread. It contains all current updates so nothing else is necessary.

If you are using Lucid 5.2.8 with Instant Update 002 and have no problems, then you don't need the new ISO. You should use the new ISO for new installs.

If you had trouble with Instant Update 002 then you should consider starting over with the new ISO. A few people had trouble with sound disappearing after Installing IU 002. I *believe* the case of the disappearing sound in Instant Update 002 was because of a problem with USB. The new ISO reverts the components of IU 002 that could have caused a USB problem--for the same reason Three-Headed Dog should not have the problem.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 30 Nov 2011, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

ferro10n

#655 Post by ferro10n »

playdayz wrote:A few people had trouble with sound disappearing after Installing IU 002. I *believe* the case of the disappearing sound in Instant Update 002 was because of a problem with USB.
playdayz,

I have used Lucid 5.28 for a week including IU 002 without losing sound. I discovered that my liveCD+USB install loses sound only when I copy the main SFS (lupu_5xx.sfs) to my flashdrive so that it's loaded from there. I've been trying to let you know but as you know the main forum was down for a few days and I didn't see you at puppylinux.info
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

playdayz

#656 Post by playdayz »

I have used Lucid 5.28 for a week including IU 002 without losing sound. I discovered that my liveCD+USB install loses sound only when I copy the main SFS (lupu_5xx.sfs) to my flashdrive so that it's loaded from there
Thanks ferro10n, Something like that is what I have come to suspect. The new ISO does not have some of the changes that in IU 002 *might* have caused the problem with usb installs. Neither does Three-Headed Dog, so I am hopeful that they might not have the problem. In fact I have gotten one report that Three-Headed Dog does not have the problem. Plus, you have discovered another way to avoid it.

Brown Mouse

#657 Post by Brown Mouse »

I'm having problems with '528' not being able to recognise a new 'Nikon coolpix L23' camera as a usb device.It doesn't see it in 'Pmount' either.I've tried also from 'gtkam' but this particular model is not listed.
However,'Pupcamera' from within 'Slacko 530' identifies it correctly and it seems to work fine from there.
Is there anything I could install to 528 that may help?

Thanks

nooby

#658 Post by nooby »

playdayz thanks for the updates and for the Chrome and FF pets.

So Chrome is that much better.
How do you as user notice that it is better?
I mean apart from handling bookmarks differently?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#659 Post by nooby »

I should start a new thread about another reason for losing sound
because I don't trust it was Lupu 528 but an old lupu513 that pemasu
made into Snowpup5 but I hope it is proper to ask here.

could that losing sound problem have been with us since Lupu513
because I installed Snowpup which use sfs513 and the sound driver or module or whatever seems gone no loudspeaker icon in the lower right corner on a AMD Atlon Desktop and I did have sound in WinXP on it.

I need winXP for Smartphone update of SonyEricson Experia x10 mini pro
because it has too old install to do wifi without SIM card.
Will the sound card get back if I start up winxp again?

I guess the sensible thing would be to dl the latest version of 528 III
and try that one first and not start up snow5 in case that one shut down
the Sound card?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ETP

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 003 - NOV 29, 2011

#660 Post by ETP »

playdayz wrote:
There is an updated version of the Lucid 5.2.8 ISO now posted in the first message of this thread.
Many thanks for this update. You may wish to add the MD5 to the md5sums.txt file up on ibiblio as it only currently exists on page 1 of this thread.
It is hard to see how this release of Lucid could be improved upon & the clamour to lupify Slacko shows just how well received it has been.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]