Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
elcurita

#621 Post by elcurita »

@bigpup
My setup consists of 3 Dell Optiplex gx270 and 7 pqi Pen-Drives of 4 Gigs each.-fat32 this time.The Dell’s have 2 gigs of memory each .The Pen-Drives are totally dedicated to Puppy and the installation of puppy on the Pen-drives as this moment is on a fat 32 file system
In 3 sticks we install puppy using Pen-Drive Universal Installer 1.8.6.8 and creating a 512 megs save file .In others we use the puppy installer.
I have used all forms of installs in the last week and all have the same results loosing sound and other functionalities after some boot-ups. We boot from the machines using the f12 key and choosing USB drive.Only download is chrome browser .But hapens with Opera or Firefox.
Some explanation is in order: These 3 computers are the network of a church and the USB sticks are used by 7 kids from the Junior High School .Since we are not allowed to access the hard drives of the computers this was the best solution since each student will have a USB stick of their own.Everything works fine Write, Calc, Chrome....everything but sound and Pmusic and thats is the only complain from these boys and girls. On the computer that Puppy was installed as “frugal

nooby

#622 Post by nooby »

Sylvander, I fail to find the proper English tone for to make
the following text come through as it should be taken with a smile.
You have to see my friendly smiling face so You don't get me wrong.
I comment on this text of yours. :)
1. "Did you upgrade to get to 526?"
Yes.
526 behaved pretty well.
When I upgraded to the 1st 528 version is when the problems began.
Also having problems when I upgraded from 526 to 528.002
Nooby's friendly comment.

When will they ever learn. Never ever under no cicumstance upgrade.
Always always start afresh and make everythings fresh install :)

That is the Puppy rule man! :) Yes I am a sinner too. When the old
works so well it is a core to install everythign again but the rule is
there for a reason. Do a new install and not an upgrade!
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sylvander

#623 Post by Sylvander »

nooby wrote:Never ever under no cicumstance upgrade
For me...
Successful upgrades are the rule, not the exception. 8)

I only begin afresh if I'm forced. :(

I've had someone tell me to scrap a HDD, that is still working just fine years later [in an external enclosure].

I hear what you say and will bear [carry] it in mind.

nooby

#624 Post by nooby »

The recommended procedure then is

1. Install lupu-528.iso
2. Install the Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8
3. Install this Multimedia Upgrade.

But what does it mean?

Install lupu-528 and
then make a save file and
then reboot and
then do the Instant Upgrade?
and then reboot and
then install the MultiMedia Upgrade?

or does it mean as Nooby's poor grasp of English gets it?

1. Install the iso and then boot into it and while booted
2. do the Instant Update and
3. then the Multimedia Upgrade and
4. then make a save file for the first time by rebooting?

Edit I am in lupu-528 now and did my interpretation above.
Seems to work not sure how to test if it does work?
Last edited by nooby on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sage

#625 Post by Sage »

nooby is correct. We have been warned many times by all the main Puppy developers NOT to rely on upgrades; sometimes the advice is explicitly to NOT upgrade. Even the major distro developers recommend back-ups as they don't always guarantee upgrades (but a few do - sometimes).
My experiences with upgrading FULL installs of most Puppy flavours is that the process appears to proceed smoothly, but a few days down the road and pears are back in season.

Sylvander

#626 Post by Sylvander »

rerwin wrote:I think we need to try to start fresh to determine whether your particular sound driver is a factor.

Please create a clean puppy and try that for a while, to see if you can break it:
- Boot from CD or a frugal installation of the original lupu 528 iso, with pfix=ram (or pupsave 0, if that is an option).
- Immediately reboot and create a pupsave file (so that any IU2 file removals will stay removed).
- Then install Instant Update 002 and rerwin_patch-1
- Immediately reboot.
I got this far, and the speaker icon had disappeared at reboot.
It had been present all of the time prior to that.

What now? :? :(

I'll assume I aught to run pmodemdiag and post the .tar.gz file here.
Back in a minute.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# pmodemdiag
 Running PupScan silently to get hardware IDs and drivers.
 Collecting various modem-related files into an archive tarball:
  pmodemdiag-20111116.tar.gz.
 Diagnostic file collection complete.
 Tarball /root/pmodemdiag-20111116.tar.gz can be attached to a posting or
  personal message (PM) in the Puppy forum, for analysis of dialup-modem
  or other issues.
 The content can be viewed in /tmp/pmodemdiag-20111116/.
sh-4.1# 

Sylvander

#627 Post by Sylvander »

By-the-way...

1. When I tried to create a lupusave file at 1st shut-down, that attempt FAILED!

2. So I booted back in [again] using puppy pfix=ram [again], and installed Pupsaveconfig, and used that to make a lupusave file.

3. That made the lupusave in, and copied the SFS file to...
A folder named Puppy, in the root of the chosen partition on my chosen internal HDD.
--------------
Which partition, by-the-way, is being treated as if on an ataflash drive...
Because I'm using a version of the ISO file that has had the isolinux.cfg file edited.
That has never previously caused any problem.
--------------
So I used Wary to move those files to...
/mnt/home/04-Lupu
I don't expect the move would cause any problems.

Volhout

Libreoffice

#628 Post by Volhout »

Running 528 + update 002.

Install Libreoffice from menu (menu->documents->install Libreoffice).

After succesful installation (automatic download tar file and convert to SFS), Libreoffice shows up in the menu's.

But if I want to make Libreoffice Writer my default wordprocessor, I can only choose between Abiword, and some other (not Writer).

I am in no rush to get this fixed since I can choose it from the menu, but you may find it usefull fixing since Libreoffice supports more document formats, (and interprets them more accurate) then Abiword. Not sure if the list of mime types is adapted when Libreoffice is installed, depending whether it is defaulted or not.

Volhout

P.S. Playdayz: I am very glad that you keep supporting the 5.2 series with updates.

Jasper

#629 Post by Jasper »

Hi Volhout,

It may not be much help, and you may already know, that from the main LibreOffice screen (see picture) using "Tools>Options>Memory>Enable systray Quickstart" will give a tray icon.

My regards
Attachments
screenshot.18.jpg
Top left corner of LibreOffice main screen
(42.77 KiB) Downloaded 1061 times

playdayz

#630 Post by playdayz »

Never ever under no cicumstance upgrade

For me...
Successful upgrades are the rule, not the exception.
IMHO, in Puppy the upgrade between versions, say from Lucid 5.2.5 to 5.2.8 is more problematic than simply starting fresh with 5.2.8. I mean, it should work, but there are a lot of complex things that need to be done--I would say that it does work most of the time and developers certainly test for that. I recommend backing up any important data before an update, but that holds true for any operating system.

The Instant Updates for Lucid and the Super Multimedia Upgrade are designed of course to be installed in working systems.
The recommended procedure then is

1. Install lupu-528.iso
2. Install the Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8
3. Install this Multimedia Upgrade.

But what does it mean?

Install lupu-528 and
then reboot and
and then reboot and

or does it mean as Nooby's poor grasp of English gets it?

1. Install the iso and then boot into it and while booted
2. do the Instant Update and
3. then the Multimedia Upgrade and
4. then make a save file for the first time by rebooting?

Edit I am in lupu-528 now and did my interpretation above.
Seems to work not sure how to test if it does work?
Actually I test it both ways nooby. The long way, saving between steps, is probably safer, but to be honest I usually do it the short way, that is, all at once.

If you are testing the Multimedia Upgrade, just make sure that gnome-mplayer plays videos and Pmusic plays audio tracks. You might ask yourself if the video quality seems any better with Multimedia upgrade installed.

playdayz

#631 Post by playdayz »

But if I want to make Libreoffice Writer my default wordprocessor, I can only choose between Abiword, and some other
Volhout, To set LibreOffice Writer as the default word processor that opens by clicking the write icon on the desktop, you can right-click /usr/local/bin/defaltwordprocessor and choose Open as text. Then change abiword to swriter and Save. (I don't have Libre installed so I can't check, but I am almost certain swriter is the name/command for the Libre writer. I believe it is called swriter because Libre Office is ultimately descended from Star Office, which was part of the gui developed by Xerox PARC that was later adapted to form the Macintosh.)

bigpup

#632 Post by bigpup »

Here is a command line tool that can change default apps.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54587

Here is a GUI program for selecting default apps. Not clear if it is finished product.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 145#426145

Default Chooser
This is probably the best one
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56282
Edit:
The default chooser seems to work OK in Puppy 5.2.8. Only problem is some programs do not show in drop-down menus, but you can manually input program name into item entry slot and it works to change default to that program.
Have to select update button for changes to take affect.
Attachments
default chooser.jpg
(66.49 KiB) Downloaded 1934 times
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 22:13, edited 2 times in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

roadkill13

#633 Post by roadkill13 »

Upgrade works perfectly on my Acer Aspire One D255.

Volhout

default program chooser

#634 Post by Volhout »

@BigPup: the last one you showed is the one that is implemented in puppeee. Great tool. I am not sure what Jemimah did, but when you install a browser or any other program she had in her repository, it automatically was selectable in the default program chooser. I did not know you could manually enter text in the fields, I allways used the pull-down selection. And that was what I expected in 528 also. Especially if you install from the main menu (not from an UBUNTU repository or so) in 528.

@PlayDayz: thank you for showing the work around. I already used this method before in 525 (for OpenOffice at that time). But I was wondering if it would be possible to improve the libreoffice upgrade in 528 by making it more user friendly. And I am still puzzled if the file associations for the file types handled by libreoffice are adapted if libreoffice would be the default wordprocessor/spreadsheet/presentation manager. Where would that be uopdated ? Is that XDGopen ? It would be nice if I open a mail with powerpoint attached, and it would automatically open in Libreoffice.

If I sound confused, I appologize. I don't know how this works "under the hood", but would like (no offense..!) to open files with the best software package to handle them. And Openoffice supports more file formats then Abiword, and displays less garbage when I throw microsoft documents at it. I understand Abiword is in puppy for very good reasons (size) but inadequate for my work and my wifes work. And it would be great if Libreoffice could be installed as seemless as Abiword was implemented.

Regards,

Volhout

rerwin

Patch updated with latest wary version of snapmergepuppy

#635 Post by rerwin »

I have added snapmergepuppy to patch-1 to make "-2". It is the version in wary 5.2, last changed in May. It now omits the /dev/snd directory from its operation. Maybe that will improve sound reliability with USB flash drives.

Install "-2" with or without patch-1, since it replaces "-1", but can go "on top of it". For the change to be effective, the /dev/snd directory should probably be deleted manually and "snapped", before installing "-2", since that directory is probably already on the drive. Not a problem if you are starting afresh.

Regarding
Install lupu-528 and
then reboot and
and then reboot and
The reason I advise making a pupsave file before installing some packages is that if they contain a pinstall script that removes files or directories, the removals are ignored during creation of the pupsave file.

I sometimes include such removals as a precaution to ensure obsolete files are eliminated. But most dotpet packages do not remove files/directories, so can be installed either way.

The exception to the rule is the case where you only want to install packages, immediately make a remaster and then shut down without making a pupsave file.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-2.pet
Patch-1 plus possible fix for sound issues with USB flash drive installations
(61.76 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#636 Post by bigpup »

To set LibreOffice Writer as the default word processor that opens by clicking the write icon on the desktop, you can right-click /usr/local/bin/defaltwordprocessor and choose Open as text. Then change abiword to swriter and Save.
I changed it to libreoffice and that worked for me.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

scsijon

ppm

#637 Post by scsijon »

I just noticed that 528's ppm doesn't include packages-puppy-common-official.

Something for the next patchfile?

playdayz

#638 Post by playdayz »

would like (no offense..!) to open files with the best software package to handle them. And Openoffice supports more file formats then Abiword, and displays less garbage when I throw microsoft documents at it.
Volhout, I tend to agree with you but as you say, Abiword is in Puppy for size reasons--IMHO simply small size would not be a good enough reason, but Abiword does also open *simple* docx files reasonably well, and I bet that most files people come across and need to open are docx. For more serious work, there is Libre Office.

I would have thought that changing the defaultwordprocessor would cause word processor files to open in Libre Writer. For spreadsheets you would need to change defaultspreadsheet. And I am not sure about presentation files, since there is not a default presentation program. This all could be automated--with some work--right now we are using 01micko's Get LibreOffice program to make installing easy. He could possibly add the defaults to that program, if he could find the time and you ask nicely ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Super Multimedia Update for Lucid 5.2.8 will not be released. There is a bug in the new mplayer that screws up DVD menus worse than ever. If you like it there is nothing wrong with it other than that, but since one reason for upgrading was to *fix* the problem with DVD menus it seems pointless to make it official. XineDVD is the default DVD player and has no problem with menus, but it seemed that since gnome-mplayer is right there on the desktop it should play DVD's at least decently, and it does with Instant Update 002.. XineDVD also has better quality with Instant Update 002.

However, Pmusic_Update for Lucid 5.2.8 is released. It provides the dependencies to update Pmusic to version 2.2.2 (and then further updates of Pmusic can be installed from the Pmusic thread).

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusi ... cid528.pet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People might want to look at the first message of this thread. It now has the Instant Update 002, plus sections for Recommended Updates and Optional Updates.

rerwin

#639 Post by rerwin »

Sylvander,
Thanks for the new diag file. Note that when the speaker icon disappears, "retrovol" has crashed, probably because something is not right with the sound setup, or it has not been fully activated.

I think the multimedia card may be the issue, in that it contains 2 separate sound devices that use the same driver, snd-cmipci.
  • 0 [CMI8738 ]: CMI8738 - C-Media CMI8738
    C-Media CMI8738 (model 37) at 0xd000, irq 9
    1 [CMI8738_1 ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
    C-Media CMI8738 (model 55) at 0xa400, irq 10
Their events that trigger module loading are:
  • 12:59:59 add_0000:00:0b.0_pci_0x13f6_0x0111_pci:v000013F6d00000111sv00001681sd0000A650bc04sc01i00
    12:59:59 add_0000:00:05.0_pci_0x13f6_0x0111_pci:v000013F6d00000111sv00001043sd000080E2bc04sc01i00
Puppy treats them as the same sound card, whichever gets assigned to be device 0. Assuming that the number is assigned in the order the events occur, maybe the events can occur in either order. Both diag files show the one identified as 0000:00:0b.0 occurring first. Maybe 0000:00:05.0 is the actual sound card part. You could check this by entering this command during a session where the sound is normal:

grep '0111' /tmp/udevtrace.log
I am hoping that 0000:00:05.0 will be listed first. Also list the device assignments with:

cat /proc/asound/cards
To see if the order is reversed.

The next thing to try is wary 5.2, to see how it handles the multimedia card. You might simulate what you did to get your second diag file, by rebooting wary and making a pupsave file, then installing its service pack and rebooting again. And try whatever you can think of that might kill the speaker icon.

Note that others are suspecting a connection with USB flash drives, so look out for that factor.
1. When I tried to create a lupusave file at 1st shut-down, that attempt FAILED!
That concerns me. That should not happen unless you you have no space for the file. Can you give more details? All the other stuff you did to work around that simply confounds the problem. Please try the normal pfix=ram, reboot and make pupsave procedure -- on a hard drive or even a multisession CD, to avoid any issue with USB drives. Resolve the failure, so we can have a "pure" test. Thanks.
Richard

Jades

#640 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:Yes. The easiest way to kill the multiple splash screens was to restart X.
I thought it as good an excuse as any to investigate LXTask. :-)
playdayz wrote:I was testing something the first time it happened and I about died, thinking "How could I have caused this?!" But I finally figured there was no relation. Whew.
Yeah, always a little odd when unforseen wierdness coincides with one changing something that was completely unrelated. The script should probably be altered to quit cleanly and error if it can't find what it's looking for. I suspect it would've also message spammed in cases where the internet connection was unavailable too, which was my first thought when it happened to me.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0