Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
roadkill13

#581 Post by roadkill13 »

applied the non multimedia 002 update to a clean install of 5.28 on my Acer Aspire One D255 with HDA Intel audio and lost all sound.

Nothing changed with the settings. All the right check boxes are still checked. All of the sliders are still in the appropriate position. Configuration remains unchanged. Nothing is muted.

Not a thing wrong with it. Just no sound. So I ran the Alsa setup wizard again. Seemingly set up just fine minus the barking dog.

I created a fresh save file, booted into it without applying the update and I have sound again.

EDIT

Booted into fresh save file. Applied the 002 update. I am able to hear sound from the external speaker but not the headphone jack. Odd that because I had no sound at all when I applied the update to the previous save file.

James C

#582 Post by James C »

Still no real problems with my frugal install of 528.002M .......nothing really to complain about. :)

playdayz

#583 Post by playdayz »

Booted into fresh save file. Applied the 002 update. I am able to hear sound from the external speaker but not the headphone jack.
roadkill13, Are you sure the headphone volume is turned up--I find it easiest to use Menu -> Multimedia -> alsamixer or gnome-alsamixer.

roadkill13

#584 Post by roadkill13 »

roadkill13, Are you sure the headphone volume is turned up--I find it easiest to use Menu -> Multimedia -> alsamixer or gnome-alsamixer.
Yup. Applying the update did not change my settings.

DAJ

Instant Update 002 for Lucid 528 fixed problem with Remaster

#585 Post by DAJ »

Just installed Instant Update 002 for Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 on my machine and it fixed a problem I had had with remastering.

Already had instant update 001 installed and this had not fixed the remastering problem.

Thanks for the update.

gcmartin

#586 Post by gcmartin »

AFter some further testing with the lupu528, lupu528+update002M, lupu528-002M, WITH SAMBA, I think the problem may be the version of SAMBA available in the PPM. Maybe a newer PPM version of SAMBA in the next Puppy kernel for LUPU, might be in order.

Sorry for the original alert. It had seemed that the couple issues I saw (ROX and SAMBA issue) were related to the filesystem in Puppy528. It appears that might not be the case.

otropogo

#587 Post by otropogo »

James C wrote:
playdayz wrote:
otropogo wrote: ....
Three-headed Dog should work fine with the default nv driver. ...
Have now tried Three-headed Dog on both my USB3 laptop and on my Intel D865GLC desktop with ATI X1550 video adapter.

The results were surprising and disappointing:

1. Although luci-001 handled the laptop's Nvidia adapter without problems, it was unable to detect the 3TB Goflex Desk drive on the USB3 expressport adapter. The issue is not with the size of the drive, as it mounts without issues on the USB2 port. It follows that luci doesn't have support for USB3.

Slacko_5.29.6 does detect and mount the same drive on the USB3 port.

2. on the Intel PC, there was a major problem with the video which I've never experienced before in any OS. At first bootup with pfix=ram, the screen was improperly sized, but the popup for the display responded to my input and set the screen resolution to 1600x1200. A Radeon driver was installed, and everything looked normal.

I then used the date/time setting box to adjust the time for daylight savings. When x-windows reset, instead of showing the configured screen, it presented the xorg wizard setup. I chose probe, and the wizard refused the 1600x1200 setting, and when the desktop displayed the screen was so dim, it was impossible to see the icons. I had to maximize the brightness setting of the monitor (in all other puppies I have it set to about 50%) in order to get a minimally visible desktop. I created a save file and rebooted, but the result was the same - too dim to be usable.

I then rebooted with my lupu-528 disk, and was able to lower the brightness setting of the monitor by 50% without reaching anywhere near the dimness of the luci screen.

Since the purpose of the exercise was to get a Puppy with the versatility and range of applications of lupu 5.28, plus full support for USB3, my quest goes on. Presumably I'll have to wait for lupu to get a newer kernel with USB3 support.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

playdayz

#588 Post by playdayz »

Since the purpose of the exercise was to get a Puppy with the versatility and range of applications of lupu 5.28, plus full support for USB3, my quest goes on. Presumably I'll have to wait for lupu to get a newer kernel with USB3 support.
otropogo, I have asked tempestuous and rerwin if they have any ideas. They are the experts on drivers. Since Slacko does work with usb3 it might be useful to ask for the features (versatility and range of applications) you want in Slacko. The fact is that Slacko is at the beginning of its development and Lucid is toward the end of its--though it will remain available with this forum for questions and discussion as well as the Instant Update 002. I am disappointed that 3HD did not work since it uses the same kernel and kernel mode drivers as Slacko. Like Lupu, 3HD will also remain available with an upcoming update and its support forum.

otropogo

#589 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:...
otropogo, I have asked tempestuous and rerwin if they have any ideas. They are the experts on drivers. Since Slacko does work with usb3 it might be useful to ask for the features (versatility and range of applications) you want in Slacko. The fact is that Slacko is at the beginning of its development and Lucid is toward the end of its--though it will remain available with this forum for questions and discussion as well as the Instant Update 002. I am disappointed that 3HD did not work since it uses the same kernel and kernel mode drivers as Slacko. Like Lupu, 3HD will also remain available with an upcoming update and its support forum.

Lupu 528 standard remains the only current version that works on both my Intel D865GLC desktop and my Toshiba laptop with USB3. No version of Slacko except 5.3 will boot my Intel desktop. But strangely, it doesn't provide native USB3 support (whereas 5.29.6 did)

Lupu528_K3.0.7 provides native support for USB3, but won't boot my desktop PC. It's also fatally crippled by inability to "see any active interfaces", wired or wireless on the 64-bit laptop.

Lupu 528 standard boots both of my PCs, and provides USB3 and 3TB support via pet (so I can't boot a save file or sfs from the USB3port). It seems initially that the 3TB drive is unwritable, because a red popup displays when mounting it that says:
NTFS WARNING The ntfs-3g drive was unable to mount the NTFS partition and reported the following error message

fuse: if you are sure this is safe use the 'nonempty' mount option

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS drive has been used to mount the partition read only OK
The same thing happens when first mounting the drive on the USB2 port.

However, after reattaching the drive to the second USB3 port and remounting it, the red popup no longer appears, and the partition is mounted writable. After that, it can also be reattached to the first port and mounted writable there.

It seems that some corruption has crept into all of the newer kernel versions of Slacko and lupu.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

shinobar

UPDATE: sfs_load

#590 Post by shinobar »

sfs_load may fail to unload the excessive(>6) SFS on Lucid Puppy 528.
REASON: the losetup command(busybox) on Lucid Puppy 528 cannot properly handle /dev/loop10 and larger.

Try sfs_load-1.3 in such case.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
You may need to reboot PC after the sfs_load updated (only if you have loaded SFS more than 6).
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Sylvander

#591 Post by Sylvander »

PROBLEM
1. No speaker icon at bottom right in the tray.
(a) Normally in a previous session, when I ran "Setup->Alsa sound wizard", that was successful, or so it seemed.

(b) Now, when I do that I don't hear any "woof-woof", and no speaker icon appears, not even after reboot.

(c) Anyone know a fix.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#592 Post by Lobster »

Latest ISO, Windows exe installer and flash updates for Lucid here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/puppy526
yep we don't have a 528 page . . .

Have not used Lucid in a long while, so anyone registering and updating the wiki for Lucid most welcome :)
Did use pemasu's Lucid derivative - which worked great for me

Have a friend with a Samsung laptop
- Wifi drivers not available out of the box in Slacko
- gonna try Lucid (lupu-528.002.iso) for him - will put on a USB drive.
He wants to dual boot some minor OS called Whinedoze 7 and Ubuntu and use Puppy from DVD/Keydrive for banking . . .
The fact is that Slacko is at the beginning of its development and Lucid is toward the end of its--though it will remain available with this forum for questions and discussion as well
8)

Gosh Slacko is a mature project for me :shock:
- been using Slacko for months . . . :)
- but Larry is right we need compiled programs for Slacko
- end user feedback etc

Beginning its cycle is Puppy 6 and PARM
No idea what will emerge . . . :)
I have hijacked ye olde Saluki page for now . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy6
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PARM

Lucid seems to be shining brightly :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

runtt21

#593 Post by runtt21 »

Sylvander try the alsa mixer under multimedia.

Sylvander

#594 Post by Sylvander »

1. Alsamixer window flashes on screen and disappears.

2. Gnome Alsamixer window comes on screen but blank/empty.

Sylvander

#595 Post by Sylvander »

Problem eliminated. :D
Using the following method...

1. Restored a recent "Pupsave Hot Backup" [made on the 10th Nov].

2. Odd thing: the booted live 528 CD [and SFS beside the lupusave] treated the lupusave [that had been previously updated from 526 to 528] as a 526 lupusave, and asked if I wanted to update it to 528.
See this post for detail.

3. The speaker icon is now back where it aught to be, and sound appears normal.

Sage

#596 Post by Sage »

1. Alsamixer window flashes on screen and disappears.
Seem to recall that this feature was fixed recently?

Sylvander

#597 Post by Sylvander »

Yes, I faintly remember fixing this once before quite recently.
Can't remember which Puppy, or the other details.
Wouldn't want this to be a recurring problem. :(

I wonder if it might have anything to do with using Psip Puppy Phone [version 0.26]?
On older hardware?

Sylvander

#598 Post by Sylvander »

Problem has returned during the session! :(

i.e. Speaker icon has disappeared from bottom right...
Alsamixer flashes on-screen then off.
Gnome Alsamixer is blank.

rerwin

#599 Post by rerwin »

Sylvander wrote:Speaker icon has disappeared from bottom right...
Alsamixer flashes on-screen then off.
Gnome Alsamixer is blank.
In a session where the icon disappears, could you immediately run pmodemdiag to obtain some evidence to work with? Please post the generated pmodemdiag...tar.gz file or PM it to me.

Be aware that, in my alsawizard debugging attempts I found that the act of unloading the sound drivers causes retrovol to crash, losing the speaker icon. What have you been doing relative to "sound" that might unload the drivers? Alsamixer? Does rerunning the alsawizard restore the volume-control speaker icon?
Richard

Sylvander

#600 Post by Sylvander »

1. "In a session where the icon disappears, could you immediately run pmodemdiag to obtain some evidence to work with? Please post the generated pmodemdiag...tar.gz file or PM it to me."
Will do, just as soon as I notice the icon has gone, and can respond.

2. "What have you been doing relative to "sound" that might unload the drivers? Alsamixer?"
Normally I only run retrovol to check the settings are OK, then close it.
I never mess with Alsamixer unless the icon has already disappeared.
Can't think of anything that might be causing this.

3. "Does rerunning the alsawizard restore the volume-control speaker icon?"
It did at least one time, that's for sure.
Then when the icon disappeared again, and I tried Alsawizard again, it didn't work.