Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#561 Post by bigpup »

frugal + save
This is not the M version
To fix it, open /usr/share/applications/gnome-mplayer.desktop and find the line that says 'Exec=gnome-mplayer %U', delete the %U, and save.
OK this worked to eliminate the error message when starting Gnome Mplayer.
Bigpup, You could try opening gnome-mplayer then Edit -> Preferences and changing the Video Output to x11, to see if it will play that DVD right, but then it probably won't do the menus right..
OK this fixed the DVD movie play.
However, I have original Lucid 528 with the multimedia 002 update test.
Gnome Mplayer in it has the Video Output set to XV and it works OK for playing DVD movie.
Also, it did not have the %U entry.

I can not say for sure I did not already have that version of Gnome Mplayer installed prior to doing the multimedia 002 update test.

Again my problem was with the 528.002
Not the M version
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#562 Post by playdayz »

Thanks. I can fix the %U problem. I will double check the other.
To fix it, open /usr/share/applications/gnome-mplayer.desktop and find the line that says 'Exec=gnome-mplayer %U', delete the %U, and save.

OK this worked to eliminate the error message when starting Gnome Mplayer.
Quote:
Bigpup, You could try opening gnome-mplayer then Edit -> Preferences and changing the Video Output to x11, to see if it will play that DVD right, but then it probably won't do the menus right..

OK this fixed the DVD movie play.
However, I have original Lucid 528 with the multimedia 002 update test.
Gnome Mplayer in it has the Video Output set to XV and it works OK for playing DVD movie.
Also, it did not have the %U entry.

jim3630

#563 Post by jim3630 »

installled 002M version pfix=ram to ext4. installed usual broadcom pet to connect eth1 with wifi. pmusic works showing the preinstalled item, clicking starts playback with album info.

removed %u from mplayer.desktop works. will continue testing next few days. thanks playdayz.

-------
multi-sound card wizard works with installed version 1.0.4.0 of mplayer. correctly identifying external speakers via HDMI connection and saves the settings with persistence through reboots.

in slacko above was a problem and required reverting to ver 1.0.2 of mplayer to work correctly.

playdayz well done!
Last edited by jim3630 on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#564 Post by Sylvander »

1. Whoops, OK, now I'm finding the problems. :(

2. Tried Pupsave Hot Backup and it appeared to work just fine. :D
What a great addition!
Any detail available on its operation?
I liked the way I was able to make a folder somewhere, then use the program to save the pupsave there, which is an essential feature, and thank goodness it has been included. 8)

3. Can't get Alsamixer to run.
Here's what I get:

Code: Select all

# alsamixer 
cannot open mixer: Input/output error
# 
4. Gnome Alsamixer produces an empty window.
Perhaps I just don't know what needs done next?

5. My speaker icon is missing from bottom right.
What do I need to run to put that there?

6. Here's what I get when I attempt to run retrovol?

Code: Select all

# retrovol 
retrovol: hcontrol.c:573: snd_hctl_load: Assertion `hctl->count == 0' failed.
Aborted
# 
7. Probably no point in me being told how to fix these things at this point in time, because...
Lupu is my main OS, and I can't live without at least 1 fully functioning Lupu.
So I'll restore my previous Lupu-526, and [soon as I have time available] make a fresh lupusave on a Flash Drive, and experiment with that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, I've restored Lupu-526, and the cold sweat has worn off.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

nooby

#565 Post by nooby »

Sylvander wrote:2. Tried Pupsave Hot Backup and it appeared to work just fine. Very Happy
What a great addition!
I liked the way I was able to make a folder somewhere, then use the program to save the pupsave there, which is an essential feature, and thank goodness it has been included.
Oh I 've been lost in other things and missed that feature.
Sounds very interesting indeed. I do back up saves too seldom.

The reason that I am still using Snow 5 instead of later versions is
that I know how to use a manual saving of Youtube in Snow 5 and
have not learned the modern way of doing it. I simply fail to find
my way around. Yes pemasu and others have told us how to but
I am not on that level of using cli and getting how to make it work.

okay I give 002 M a short test now and get back and report.
Being as lazy as I am now I cheated and reused an old pupsave
from 528 "secure" so most likely them are different enough to not
work well together.
So I should say nothing further. Just now I am into small folding bikes.
You know those named Human Powered Vehicles. No motor on them.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

goutam

Usb modem Dialup

#566 Post by goutam »

Hi,

@bigpup
@playdayz
Thank you for your response.

I Download http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu- ... _256MB.iso
and make a frugal installation.

I bootup puppy and then hot plug my wireless modem.
Modem detected on ttyUSB3. Configure wvdial and get connected.
No problem at all.
Thanks once again.

Goutam

Brown Mouse

#567 Post by Brown Mouse »

Playdayz

Something else I found using Pmusic(on my setup).
When playing mp3's loaded from say (/my-documents),to remove a loaded file from the playlist,using right click and selecting 'Remove from playlist (mid-button)'doesn't seem to remove it..
I found that I had to use the 'Delete source button'and then answer'yes' at both prompts.This didn't appear to cause a problem.
However,what I found very alarming was,when I loaded mp3's to the playlist from a usb portable storage device,using the above method (Delete source button)literally deletes the files from the usb drive.

gcmartin

#568 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:
in this LIve media operation, I am NOT getting same results. When I click the item showing in the playlist, nothing happens.
Sorry, I havent rebooted yet.

But, to answer your questions:
  1. gcmartin, Does it bark when it boots up?Yes, sound works fine everywhere.
  2. What happens if you right-click an mp3 and choose Play with Gnome-mplayer?It plays. and I can drag and drop MP3s to mplayer, as well.
  3. This is a CD made from lupu-528.002M.iso?Yes, same PC as reported earlier, with those reports
The LUPU Puppy 5.28 systems now has JRE and SeaMonkey .installed via PPM PETs.

But, PMusic-V2.2.1 is not behaving in LUPU002M Live media system that has not been rebooted from a save session.

Note on PMusic in your other Puppy 5.2.8 version:
The Lupu528 where the 002M update PET was applied is NOT exhibiting this bad behavior in its PMusic. V2.2.0. This system has NOT been rebooted either.

BTW on another note, your hostname approach works, too! ("logoff in restart")

playdayz

#569 Post by playdayz »

The Lupu528 where the 002M update PET was applied is NOT exhibiting this bad behavior in its PMusic. V2.2.0.
Ah-Ha, I tried to slip 2.2.1 into the updated iso, better go back to 2.2.0, eh?

2. Tried Pupsave Hot Backup and it appeared to work just fine.
What a great addition!
I liked the way I was able to make a folder somewhere, then use the program to save the pupsave there, which is an essential feature, and thank goodness it has been included.

Pupsave Hot Backup is written by 2byte and here is the thread. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 37&t=49999

Sylvander, Thanks for testing. There are changes in the 002 update and iso that affect sound. If you do nay more testing you might try running ALSA Sound Wizard (under setup in the Menu).

gcmartin

#570 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:Ah-Ha, I tried to slip 2.2.1 into the updated iso, better go back to 2.2.0, eh?
Before jumping to that concluson, Iff you PM me with testing to perform for each of these 2 versions of Lupu528-002M (the complete one and the updated one), I will test them for you and report. (just recommend steps for me to follow for you)

Remember, these 2 live media systems have not been save-session rebooted, as of yet. But, for SAMBA (now installed and tested on each), Seamonkey, and JAVA apps, all seem fine.

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#571 Post by playdayz »

Change. I am withdrawing the Multimedia ISO (which hasn't been released) and the Instant Update for Multimedia. One reason is to simplify--two options were one too many. Plus there were a couple of problems reported with the Multimedia components, that were not problems with the regular update and ISO. So now there is only the regular update and ISO (to be released soon). if you have been using the Super Multimedia Upgrade there should be no problems in continuing to use it--after the udpated ISO is released I will revisit making an updated Multimedia Upgrade. Thanks for your help with the testing.

Here is the current version of the Updated ISO.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.002.iso
fa51ceceba878461f013afd6dbe4b915

The only change from previous is that the gnome-mplayer %U glitch is fixed.

Possible Issue: If you lose video after installing the Update, please click the play icon on the desktop to open gnome-mplayer, then choose Edit -> Preferences, click the drop-down Video Output menu, and change to x11 (from xv). This is a no-win situation because DVD menus do not work well in x11. The reason for using xv video as default is that all sources agree that it is higher quality, plus the DVD menus work with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info: There is currently, since yesterday, a problem with the automatic Flashplayer installers. Evidently Adobe moved the location of the flashplayer binary. 01micko maintains the GetFlash script and he knows about this.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 20:54, edited 9 times in total.

gcmartin

#572 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:Hey gcmartin and others having trouble with Pmusic in the multimedia update iso, please try this pet of Pmusic 2.2.0. thanks.
Nope. Same behavior. on the 002M ISO live media system.

bigpup

#573 Post by bigpup »

From the Pmusic topic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 694#213694
note for installing Pmusic 2.2.1 Please (re)move /root/.pmusic before install if your system runs a older Pmusic than 2.2.0
Could not doing this be causing the problem with using Pmusic 2.2.1 in the multimedia update?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

elcurita

No sound No alsa mixer icon

#574 Post by elcurita »

Greetings good people: I have 2 Dell optiplex gx270 booting from USB stick. I have 5 users wich means 5 USB sticks Frugal Install in all of them.These boxes have the AC97 Audio Controller.I have installed Puppylinux 5..28 multmedia upgrade in all of then at least 3 times because of the following:
After the third boot aprox. we lost the following: Sound,AlsaMixer Icon,Clicking in AlsaMixer does nothing,Gnome Player shows but does not play (it seems to load a song then it stop)Pmusic shows but does nothing at all, Gnome AlsaMixer shows only a gui box with nothing in it, PupRadio shows a complete gui but after choosing a preset it just stay blank and does nothing.If I Re-install everithing is ok but after a couple of re-boots we have the same issues again.Please note that this happens with all 5 USB sticks and the two computers in any combination. Any ideas good people? Thank for your time

gcmartin

Filesystem anomolies also

#575 Post by gcmartin »

I have confirmed an additional anomaly in Puppy528M ISO's filesystem. while running the Live media system. (Still have not rebooted, yet, though)
Please see here.

Hope this helps

playdayz

#576 Post by playdayz »

I have confirmed an additional anomaly in Puppy528M
528M has been withdrawn. It was actually never released--it was a test vehicle.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 224#581224

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
elcurita, Perhaps you can test Lucid 5.2.8 without the multimedia upgrade, which has been withdrawn in any event. If you proceed with that, it would be useful to test the lupu-528.iso on its own (that was the release of AUG 7 2011) and then add the Instant_Update for Lucid 528-002. Those are both official releases. If you then wished to continue, you could test the lupu-528-002.iso which is currently in testing. Thank you.

Lupu-528.iso and the Instant_Upgrade-Lucid528-002 are both in the first message of this thread. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

Lupu-528-002.iso is at the address in the first part of this message.

Sylvander

#577 Post by Sylvander »

1. Just now updated Lupu-526 to Lupu-528.002, and that looked GOOD. :D
No problems apparent.

2. Then installed Instant_Update-Lucid528-002.pet, and that is looking good also. :D
Can't see anything amiss.

3. So far tried:
(a) Generally taking a look around in the menus, using Firefox, Xfe, Firewall Status, Clipboard, speaker icon->Retrovol, Alsamixer, Gnome Alsamixer.

(b) Used "Pupsave Hot Backup" to save a backup to a folder in an ext3 partition in my 1TB [USB2 connected] external HDD.
I LOVE this program! 8)
I suppose it isn't possible to hot-restore also, huh?
Or choose a pupsave to restore at shut-down/reboot?
"Pupsave Hot Restore"?

(c) Successfully used "GNOME MPlayer" to play various mkv, mp4, mov files.
"Just works". :D

4. Will report back if I see anything amiss.
No report back means all's going well; haven't found any problems.

5. One of the reasons [the main reason?] I use this as my number-1 OS is...
I'm able to have this Puppy treat my pupsave on an internal HDD as if it's a pupsave on a Flash Drive.
[Doesn't work on some other Puppies :( ]
Which means I can CHOOSE when/if to save during the session [manually]...
And then be given the option at shut-down/reboot "to save or not to save".
[Useful when using "Pupsave Hot Backup" for example]

playdayz

#578 Post by playdayz »

One of the reasons [the main reason?] I use this as my number-1 OS is...
I'm able to have this Puppy treat my pupsave on an internal HDD as if it's a pupsave on a Flash Drive.
[Doesn't work on some other Puppies ]
Which means I can CHOOSE when/if to save during the session [manually]...
And then be given the option at shut-down/reboot "to save or not to save".
[Useful when using "Pupsave Hot Backup" for example]
Sylvander, That is splendid. Could you give instructions please?
Used "Pupsave Hot Backup" to save a backup to a folder in an ext3 partition in my 1TB [USB2 connected] external HDD.
I LOVE this program!
I suppose it isn't possible to hot-restore also, huh?
Or choose a pupsave to restore at shut-down/reboot?
"Pupsave Hot Restore"?
Perhaps you could suggest these enhancements to 2byte.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 35&t=49999

BTW, If you used the lupu-528.002.iso it was not necessary to install the Instant Update 002 pet, but it did no harm since the pet was already present int he ISO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The GetFlash script has been inoperative for two days because, I believe, Adobe must have moved the location of the flashplayer binary. 01micko has fixed it quickly.
Attachments
getflash-0.4.pet
(5.83 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times

playdayz

#579 Post by playdayz »

Note for installing Pmusic 2.2.1 Please (re)move /root/.pmusic before install if your system runs a older Pmusic than 2.2.0

Could not doing this be causing the problem with using Pmusic 2.2.1 in the multimedia update?
Good point Bigpup, but the multimedia update deleted /root/.pmusic. Even though I have withdrawn the multimedia update and the multimedia ISO I will update the Super Multimedia upgrade in a bit.

Sylvander

#580 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Sylvander, That is splendid. Could you give instructions please?"
(a)
See this post.
And...
How to prevent the spurious warning as a pupsave installation of Puppy boots, that the previous shut-down was improper.

2. "Perhaps you could suggest these enhancements to 2byte."
Already DONE.