Firefox official releases

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Tman

Firefox official releases

#1 Post by Tman »

I have packaged the lastest generic builds for Firefox Official (non-beta) versions. They should work in most newer Pups, and perhaps some older ones.

Currently available versions are as follows: Firefox-7.0.1, 12.0, 15.0.1, 16.02
They can be downloaded from --> here.

- prepare-firefox.pet has been removed, as its functions have been integrated into the updated Firefox packages.

Language Packs:
forum member, vicmz has a collection of language packs for Firefox, which can be downloaded --> here
For more info on this, see --> here

Also, there is a fontfix pet found in the Saluki thread that makes the fonts in Firefox much nicer, thanks to DaveS...
Attachments
fontfix-1.0.pet
(5.53 KiB) Downloaded 1972 times
Last edited by Tman on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 23:44, edited 31 times in total.

Peterm321

#2 Post by Peterm321 »

Also I noticed that when I installed the pet in Wary 5.1.1, it says there are some missing libs, but Firefox will still run. I don't know if it will crash in Wary or not due to the missing libs. I copied the libs over from Lucid 5.2.8 and made firefox-8b-libs.pet of them, but don't know if there will be library compatability issues. So use it at your own risk.
I noticed a related issue myself. When Firefox started it complained (but still ran apparently OK) about a few missing libraries. But on my system one or two of them were already in /usr/local/lib, so I included a reference to this directory by amending LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the firefox/run-mozilla.sh startup script.

Luluc

#3 Post by Luluc »

Thanks, but I am going to wait for Firefox 15. I've heard that is going to be the bestest version ever. Around Christmas, supposedly.

Tman

#4 Post by Tman »

Luluc wrote:Thanks, but I am going to wait for Firefox 15. I've heard that is going to be the bestest version ever. Around Christmas, supposedly.
:lol: Yes, new versions come out so fast now but I can update fairly quickly by modifying the older pets.

Peterm321,

When you get a chance, can you post your run-mozilla.sh script? I'm just being curious.

raffy

run-mozilla.sh

#5 Post by raffy »

Here is run-mozilla.sh from fatdog64-520 running Aurora 6.0.1.
Attachments
run-mozilla.sh.gz
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 1401 times
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

nooby

Re: run-mozilla.sh

#6 Post by nooby »

raffy wrote:Here is run-mozilla.sh from fatdog64-520 running Aurora 6.0.1.
Am I too nosy if I ask what is a run-mozilla with Aurora?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Tman

#7 Post by Tman »

raffy wrote:Here is run-mozilla.sh from fatdog64-520 running Aurora 6.0.1.
Thank You raffy. I will check it out and compare it to one in the later versions of firefox.
nooby wrote: Am I too nosy if I ask what is a run-mozilla with Aurora?
Aurora is the nightly build version of Firefox. It has newer stuff than even the beta version. However, it is also the most experimental build, so there is more possibility of bugs. The official version is supposed to be the most stable. run-mozilla.sh is a script included in the firefox builds. I am not sure of all of its functions, but I will be deciphering the code as best I can.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Ah thanks, I was sure if that it was some kind of Text only browser
that one click on a picture to activate it and that each link was almost
raw html that one click on :) Ar them named Gecko or something then?

Sorry no need to answer. Thanks for explaining it to me.

DaveS

#9 Post by DaveS »

Tman wrote:run-mozilla.sh is a script included in the firefox builds. I am not sure of all of its functions, but I will be deciphering the code as best I can.
I think one of the functions is to prevent more than one instance of Firefox/Seamonkey to be running at the same time.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

darkcity

#10 Post by darkcity »

Aurora not to be confused with Arora

firefox nightly build
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-aurora.html

Arora web-kit browser
http://code.google.com/p/arora/

added Tman's fox2wiki

Peterm321

#11 Post by Peterm321 »

Tman

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 18:01

Peterm321,

When you get a chance, can you post your run-mozilla.sh script? I'm just being curious.
My run-mozilla.sh is practically the same as the standard run-mozilla.sh that comes with the standard linux binaries that can be downloaded from the mozilla website.

At the very end of the script the routine to run the firefox-binary is called up:

Code: Select all

if [ $moz_debug -eq 1 ]
then
	moz_debug_program ${1+"$@"}
else
	moz_run_program ${1+"$@"}
fi

exit $exitcode
So just before that code I inserted the line:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib" 

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH quoted above is simply the old LD_LIBRARY_PATH with ":/usr/local/lib" added to it. I haven't noticed any difference mind you, though Firefox no longer complains about the missing libgconf library. I would presume there is nothing in /usr/local/lib to trip firefox up, on my system there isn't.

Tman

#12 Post by Tman »

Peterm321, thank you for the clear explanation.

don922

Re: Firefox 7.0.1 official and 8.0 beta

#13 Post by don922 »

Tman wrote:I have packaged the latest generic builds for Firefox 7.0.1 official and 8.0 beta.

I have also added a script which will remove things left behind when you uninstall firefox from the package manager or when you unload a firefox.sfs file.
Just install the prepare-firefox.pet and in the terminal type bash prepareff. Then install the new Firefox pet or sfs. Running prepareff first will give a cleaner install.
**warning - running prepareff will also remove your firefox bookmarks so please back them up somewhere if you don't want to lose them.
I let Mozilla replace FF7 with FF8. I am not happy with FF8 and want to install the Firefox-7.0.1.pet. My Firefox installation is a little bit unconventional as the .mozilla directory is in the Home directory and it is sym-linked to the root directory.

I am having trouble finding the Bookmarks file. What is it called and where should it be located? The bookmark file in the .mozilla directory in the Home directory appears to be a plain new unused file with no bookmarks.

The bookmarkbackups directory seems to be current and contain good data. Can this bookmarkbackups file be used to replace the bookmarks file when I install the Firefox-7.0.1.pet, after running the prepare-firefox.pet? If it can be used -- How do you use the backup?
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

TLM

#14 Post by TLM »

Hi, Thanks for the FireFox PETS. I had progressively upgraded to 7.01 in 525 from version 5.01 from the About Firefox-Check for Updates Link. All had went well until I upgraded to Firefox 8. Browser took forever to open pages and froze. Flash did not work. So I uninstalled the Firefox 5.01 package and deleted the firefox folder in usr/lib. Rebooted and ran your 7.01 PET and then upgraded to version 8 via Check for Updates link. Reinstalled all my favorite addons and now Firefox is running great!

Geoffrey

#15 Post by Geoffrey »

I'm having a problem with FF8, hangs for ages , it was 7.01 that upgraded itself, put on another copy of 7.01 and it runs fine, I'm running lucid 5.2.8.

anyone else having this happen, is there a solution?

Geoffrey

RetroTechGuy

#16 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Geoffrey wrote:I'm having a problem with FF8, hangs for ages , it was 7.01 that upgraded itself, put on another copy of 7.01 and it runs fine, I'm running lucid 5.2.8.

Yes, I had the same problem ("upgrade"). You found the solution... ;-)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Geoffrey

#17 Post by Geoffrey »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:I'm having a problem with FF8, hangs for ages , it was 7.01 that upgraded itself, put on another copy of 7.01 and it runs fine, I'm running lucid 5.2.8.

Yes, I had the same problem ("upgrade"). You found the solution... ;-)
I found how to fix it, replace libnss3.so that's in /usr/lib with the one that comes with FF8 in /usr/lib/firefox

then no errors, it was doing this this in the terminal

(firefox:22314): Pango-WARNING **: libthai.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.10' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so)

now it's all good 8)

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

Does this repair that FF8 is slow and fail to go well with Flash player?

TLM

#19 Post by TLM »

nooby wrote:Does this repair that FF8 is slow and fail to go well with Flash player?
I was having this problem with FF8 and under addons it showed two flashplayers installed, both 10 and 11 versions. Although i only had one libflashplayer.so in usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. I discovered that something had created an additional folder in usr/lib named flashplayer something or other. I do not remember the exact name, but it was right at the top alphabetically. Inside it were duplicates of all the plugins found in usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, except it had the 10 version of flashplayer and apparently FF8 was reading it. I deleted this entire flashplayer folder from usr/lib and now FF8 is running good and flash content runs good too. I have not had any issues with the libnss3.so issue mentioned by Geoffrey, however i will do that next if i have more issues with FF8.

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Thanks good that you shared your experience and actions.
I still have 7.01 or something due to not have booted up
but next time it most likely do the upgrade automatically.
So it is good to know there are solutions to try.