Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#541 Post by playdayz »

otropogo wrote:
playdayz wrote:...
Have you tried Three-Headed Dog? It uses the same kernel as Slacko.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736
No. But my only USB3-capable PC has an Invidia video display (M210, IIRC), and I gather from your link that Three-Headed Dog won't work with Nvidia adapters.

In any case, I won't have another chance to test USB3 until the coming weekend.
Three-headed Dog should work fine with the default nv driver. What might not work is the proprietary nvidia drivers, but another report said they would work--but it should boot and run with the default driver.

calexand

#542 Post by calexand »

Newest multimedia mix working well, no problems. Xorg-high and software installs fine, save file created ok. Good job!
CA

James C

#543 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
otropogo wrote:
Have you tried Three-Headed Dog? It uses the same kernel as Slacko.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736
No. But my only USB3-capable PC has an Invidia video display (M210, IIRC), and I gather from your link that Three-Headed Dog won't work with Nvidia adapters.

In any case, I won't have another chance to test USB3 until the coming weekend.
Three-headed Dog should work fine with the default nv driver. What might not work is the proprietary nvidia drivers, but another report said they would work--but it should boot and run with the default driver.
As reported here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 215#576215
I've had no problems with the Nvidia 96.43.19-k2.6.37.6-s driver on my Athlon XP box with an old card and the 275.09.07-k2.6.37.6-s driver on a couple of boxes with the 8400 GS cards.

bigpup

#544 Post by bigpup »

Lupu-528.002
frugal + save file

One problem:
Click on menu->multimedia->Gnome Mplayer
Get an error message and player.
Have to close error message window

Do not get error message if started by clicking on desktop play icon.

Tested Gnome Mplayer with a movie DVD.
Did some kind of audio loop repeat and never showed the movie.
Attachments
menu access.jpg
(20.55 KiB) Downloaded 1053 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#545 Post by James C »

A little later than planned.......was installing Xubuntu 11.10 on an old P3 (866 Mhz/512 Mb ram)........painfully slow install and pretty darn slow trying to use. :lol:

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-002M, fresh manual frugal install on the Athlon XP box.All the basics good ootb as expected.

DVD in Xine DVD, no problems. Menus working,able to toggle to fullscreen and back. DVD in Gnome MPlayer working correctly too, no problem with the menus or fullscreen.Other than the silly error message. :) Took care of that really quickly.

otropogo

#546 Post by otropogo »

Three-headed Dog should work fine with the default nv driver. ...
OK. I'll try it on my USB3 system Friday.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

playdayz

#547 Post by playdayz »

Other than the silly error message.
Dang, dang, dang. How did that stupid dang error message slip back in there?

To fix it, open /usr/share/applications/gnome-mplayer.desktop and find the line that says 'Exec=gnome-mplayer %U', delete the %U, and save.

Oh, it seems it didn't sneak back in--it has been that way the whole time :oops:
Tested Gnome Mplayer with a movie DVD.
Did some kind of audio loop repeat and never showed the movie.
That's why we have both gnome-mplayer and XineDVD ;-) Gnome-mplayer should do the DVD menus better than it did, that is, if it does the DVD menus.

Bigpup, You could try opening gnome-mplayer then Edit -> Preferences and changing the Video Output to x11, to see if it will play that DVD right, but then it probably won't do the menus right..

nooby

#548 Post by nooby »

I should test the mplayer gxine differences.
Now in Snow Pup I do have Mplayer? And it
get off sync on some short music clips.
Maybe Gxine does not. But I have VLC too
and that one fall out of sync so maybe it is the clips being bad.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#549 Post by playdayz »

I should test the mplayer gxine differences.
Now in Snow Pup I do have Mplayer? And it
get off sync on some short music clips.
Maybe Gxine does not. But I have VLC too
and that one fall out of sync so maybe it is the clips being bad.
There are actually 2 different versions of mplayer nooby. The version in the plain update is the same as in 5.2.8 and in Polar Pup (I assume) using the ffmpeg libraries version 0.6. The version in the update with the multimedia upgrade is the newest version of mplayer using the libraries version 0.8.2. You could try both and see if you notice any difference.

Also, Lucid does not include gxine, but includes XineDVD. What that means is that it uses xine-ui instead of gxine. That is present mainly for playing DVD's but it will also play videos. My experience is that it does not play as many different kinds of video formats as mplayer (which is why we moved from gxine to mplayer in the original Lucid 5.0).

gcmartin

Music in LUPU-002 Multimedia

#550 Post by gcmartin »

Music using the same system as shown earlier..
Open ROX to folder with MP3s. Right click and select "Add to Pmusic Playlsit". Nothing!

Open Pmusic tried to open a folder and have it play. Nothing again

Hmmm. yes the other player works. Hmmm. Anyone else having the same?

Brown Mouse

Re: Music in LUPU-002 Multimedia

#551 Post by Brown Mouse »

gcmartin wrote:Music using the same system as shown earlier..
Open ROX to folder with MP3s. Right click and select "Add to Pmusic Playlsit". Nothing!

Open Pmusic tried to open a folder and have it play. Nothing again

Hmmm. yes the other player works. Hmmm. Anyone else having the same?
I have to say,something is definitely not right.
If I left click on an mp3,it opens in 'Pmusic'and plays ok.
If I do a right click on an mp3 and select 'Add to Pmusic playlist',it adds the mp3 but wont play.
At the bottom of the Pmusic GUI it says 'Source not detected'.

gcmartin

#552 Post by gcmartin »

I running a Live media and I have not rebooted. The X desktop has been restarted couple times, but no save-session-reboot, yet.

playdayz

#553 Post by playdayz »

I have to say,something is definitely not right.
If I left click on an mp3,it opens in 'Pmusic'and plays ok.
If I do a right click on an mp3 and select 'Add to Pmusic playlist',it adds the mp3 but wont play.
At the bottom of the Pmusic GUI it says 'Source not detected'.
Yes. In the plain update with Pmusic 1.8.3 Add to Pmusic playlist causes the mp3 to play, but in the multimedia version with Pmusic 2.2.1 Add to Pmusic playlist causes Pmusic to open and the mp3 to be added to the playlist but not to play. However, clicking the mp3 in the Pmusic playlist causes it to play. It does say Add to Pmusic playlist, rather than Play in Pmusic. Of course Play in Pmusic is a left-click. The difference is that left-click wipes out the old playlist, while right-click adds to the old playlist.

It seems that Pmusic -a (Add to Pmusic playlist) works differently in 1.8.3 and in 2.2.1.

Do you all get zigbert's surprise Hoover track? BTW, I think the Info function in Pmusic 2.2.1 is great. It gives the album art, lyrics, websites, and so forth automatically for each track
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#554 Post by Sylvander »

Just now updated from Lupu-526 to Lupu-528.002M

So far all seems OK. :D

Any link to something that gives details of the new stuff added via the update?

Brown Mouse

#555 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:

Do you all get zigbert's surprise Hoover track?
Funny you should say that because I did do and now it's vanished and I didn't remove or delete it.

playdayz

#556 Post by playdayz »

So far all seems OK.

Any link to something that gives details of the new stuff added via the update?
Thanks Sylvander, Scroll down about 20 lines or so in the link to see what is in the 002 update. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855 And if you updated from an earlier version than 5.2.8 you can scroll further down and read what is in 5.2.8.

Brown Mouse, I think that Hoover track disappears when you left-click another track.

Brown Mouse

#557 Post by Brown Mouse »

[/quote]
Brown Mouse, I think that Hoover track disappears when you left-click another track.[/quote]
Ah ok.

Well I just discovered now,if I remove the song from the playlist first,then right click and select 'Add to Pmusic playlist' it starts playing the track. :oops:

playdayz

#558 Post by playdayz »

Well I just discovered now,if I remove the song from the playlist first,then right click and select 'Add to Pmusic playlist' it starts playing the track.
Ah-ha, you discovered that before I did. Thanks.

gcmartin

#559 Post by gcmartin »

Hi Playdayz. I've check the MD5 its OK. and other facets of the system seem OK.

But, in this LIve media operation, I am NOT getting same results. When I click the item showing in the playlist, nothing happens. I cannot get PMusic to play anything in the distro. If there's something you want me to try for you, PM me and I'll help..

Maybe this has something to do with something missing that would be available after a save to media and reboot. I'll give that a try and report back. Again, this is a Live media system. Not frugal or full.

playdayz

#560 Post by playdayz »

in this LIve media operation, I am NOT getting same results. When I click the item showing in the playlist, nothing happens.
gcmartin, Does it bark when it boots up?

What happens if you right-click an mp3 and choose Play with Gnome-mplayer?

This is a CD made from lupu-528.002M.iso?
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.