Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
zulhilmi

#1321 Post by zulhilmi »

VFS= virtual file system?

Jim1911

#1322 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi zulhilmi,

Using Slacko, run gparted and check your UUID. You'll find it in gparted by highlighting the partition and clicking on info. If it's different, just highlight it and copy it to your menu.lst. If it's correct, you could try running grub4dos configuration again.

Better yet, try a frugal installation on that partition. A frugal installation can coexist with another OS on just about any type of partition and is just as powerful as a full hd installation. To do so manually, create a new dir called expirimo, then click on the iso to mount it and copy all the files to the new exprimo dir. Then add the follow code to your menu.lst:

Code: Select all

title Exprimo 5.X.9 Frugal(sda1/exprimo)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd exprimo/initrd.gz
  kernel /exprimo/vmlinuz  pmedia=atahd psubdir=exprimo pfix=fsck
  initrd /exprimo/initrd.gz

zulhilmi

#1323 Post by zulhilmi »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi zulhilmi,

Using Slacko, run gparted and check your UUID. You'll find it in gparted by highlighting the partition and clicking on info. If it's different, just highlight it and copy it to your menu.lst. If it's correct, you could try running grub4dos configuration again.

Better yet, try a frugal installation on that partition. A frugal installation can coexist with another OS on just about any type of partition and is just as powerful as a full hd installation. To do so manually, create a new dir called expirimo, then click on the iso to mount it and copy all the files to the new exprimo dir. Then add the follow code to your menu.lst:

difference UUID caused it?

zulhilmi

#1324 Post by zulhilmi »

[img]

UUID is same..
Attachments
error 3.jpg
(157.03 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

Jim1911

#1325 Post by Jim1911 »

zulhilmi wrote:

[img]

UUID is same..
Your error3.jpg shows that your installation is on an NTFS partitition. That may be your problem. If you have nothing of value on it other than your Exprimo full disk installation, you need to use gparted to reformat the partition as a linux ext3 or ext4 partition and then reinstall your full hd installation. You will also need to reinstall grub4dos. Much easier to follow the instructions above for a manual frugal installation since the frugal installation can peacefully coexist on an NTFS partition. However, even with a frugal installation an ext3 or ext4 partition is preferred. If you are still having problems, you need to start a new thread. We don't want to hijack this thread. Be sure and include all details of your installation on the new thread.

pemasu

#1326 Post by pemasu »

No problem about hijacking. Ntfs surely is the problem. I dont recommend to use ntfs for full or frugal installations. Ext3 or ext4 is highly....highly.....highly...recommended.
Please post here as much as you want. I have something to read in this thread while I create test compiles of 3.x kernels.

edoc

#1327 Post by edoc »

5x9 is working fine on three laptops and a netbook here.

It is locking-up on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-28.

The same laptop was OK with Fluppy and 5x8 and I cannot see where any setting would be causing this.

I have management set to Performance, Screen Saver Off, I don't see evidence that it is running out of Personal Space.

Our son has observed intermittent problems with the USB optical mouse becoming unresponsive which the touchpad remains usable - suggesting perhaps a resource collision?

The wireless nic is a PCMCIA device and we've tried the mouse on the direct USB 1.1 and a PCMCIA-to-Dual-USB 2.0 adapter - same problem. (These are the same for Fluppy and 5x8, which work OK.)

Any ideas, please?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#1328 Post by pemasu »

Oh well. I was today using my 3.0.8 kernel dpup to compile 3.10 kernel. I had tested succesfully my acpitool compile. It suspended fine. I had created all the needed patches and patched the kernel. DOTconfig was created. Same time I was going to start compiling, the laptop suspended to the ram. I had forgotten to plug ac into it. And it didnt wake up right. It freezed.
Well...I start again when I have recovered from this disaster.
At least I learned one way how not to compile kernel. Small victory though.

zulhilmi

#1329 Post by zulhilmi »

pemasu wrote:No problem about hijacking. Ntfs surely is the problem. I dont recommend to use ntfs for full or frugal installations. Ext3 or ext4 is highly....highly.....highly...recommended.
Please post here as much as you want. I have something to read in this thread while I create test compiles of 3.x kernels.
im not hijacking this thread,okay? this is related to my full installation of ur 5.9......anyway i thought i have format with ext4...

zulhilmi

#1330 Post by zulhilmi »

guys,i have gparted the partition with ext4..and dpup now runs okay..... :lol:

zulhilmi

#1331 Post by zulhilmi »

i hope the developer could add more recent PET....and do add QUICKPET too...

pemasu

#1332 Post by pemasu »

zulhilmi: Many/most Lucid Puppy pets works also in Dpup. Sometimes needed dependencies needs to be added. Usually they are found from debian repos using puppy packages manager.
Also Exprimo repo has some pets.

If Lucid Puppy pet does not start. Launch the app in console. You can check /usr/share/applications from according app.desktop file what exec is called. Open as text. Then just use puppy package manager to fix the needed dependency.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-lucid/

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/

http://iguleder.info/pet_packages-dpup/

Also you can install apps from debian repos. I usually use it for needed libraries and other dependencies. And for small utility applications.

stu90

#1333 Post by stu90 »

Here is Ppack v5 for dpup - i added lucid, quirky, wary and slacko repositories
( pre and post .pet removal scripts now work as well :) )

zulhilmi - Just click on the Repositories button and select Packages-puppy-lucid-official for all the Lucid .pets 8)
Attachments
dpupppack-0.5.pet
(122.28 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

pemasu

#1334 Post by pemasu »

Thanks stu90. You had much better answer for repos problem. Users just need to remember that not all apps will work in dpup if you download them from wary etc repos. Some apps needs spesific libraries and they just dont work if you install them. Especially people using full installs. Another reason why I dont do full installs. I would get my OS broken very fast. With all my tests.

pemasu

#1335 Post by pemasu »

First test compile of 3.1 kernel. I used unionfs. I found 3.1-rc4.diff for it. And the patch about worked. Dpup now in testing. I noticed that I must compile fbcon as module so that my i915.conf disabling row works. And I had hardcoded it. Well...I used Barrys .config....lazy as I am. So I have now PAE kernel...but this was just to see if that unionfs patch actually works. Mostly it does but I get those I/O errors that has been the problem in the past with puppy and unionfs:

464.686486] unionfs: filldir: possible I/O error: a file is duplicated in the same branch 0: vesa_drv.so
So....I think that sticking with aufs is not that bad idea. I got those kind errors also with Barrys Racy which uses unionfs also. I didnt include the printk.c.patch so that I can see more kernel debug information.

EDIT: I am not sure anymore was it Barrys Racy or my previous Dpup 3.0.X unionfs kernel test. Probably it was my own previous kernel.

pemasu

#1336 Post by pemasu »

Kernel 3.1 with aufs-3.1 behaves now. I have used latest woof and a lot Iguleders dpup compiled packages. Only udev and shared-mime-info has been reverted back. They need work.
I think that I hunt latest updates...scripts...pets and then I build this dpup again. With 3.1 kernel. I will first upload core 2 and up optimized version first...let it be again the test version. Newer hw will benefit most of this new kernel anyway.

Tomorrow will be the day for that update hunting. And probably uploading also. Depends on how much I have time to spare for Puppy.

I will upload the puppy needed patches also for kernel, when I start the upload.

James C

#1337 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Kernel 3.1 with aufs-3.1 behaves now. I have used latest woof and a lot Iguleders dpup compiled packages. Only udev and shared-mime-info has been reverted back. They need work.
I think that I hunt latest updates...scripts...pets and then I build this dpup again. With 3.1 kernel. I will first upload core 2 and up optimized version first...let it be again the test version. Newer hw will benefit most of this new kernel anyway.

Tomorrow will be the day for that update hunting. And probably uploading also. Depends on how much I have time to spare for Puppy.

I will upload the puppy needed patches also for kernel, when I start the upload.
Ready to do some testing..... :lol:

pemasu

#1338 Post by pemasu »

Yeah. I had to update delayedrun script and I changed to use Barrys latest. I updated flash downloader part google ping address, changed to use 11 versions and removed welcome firstboot message, changed to use Barrys quicksetup script... and I screwed the whole script. That was the only problem so far in my uploadable iso. So new build today.

Vattery will be removed and powerapplet_tray (Barrys updated one) will be taking its place. Vattery will be uploaded to the repo as option. I will still use it, with vattery-vattery-ibam. Vattery-acpitool would needs source hacking, source not available, so that is why I changed to powerapplet_tray. It does not support anykind commands with different battery states, but it is better than nothing.

zulhilmi

#1339 Post by zulhilmi »

pemasu,

what type of libreoffice can be installed with ur distro?
Attachments
offi4.jpeg
this is the error....
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Sylvander

#1340 Post by Sylvander »

I'm a newcomer to this Puppy.
Don't fancy wading through all 90 pages hoping to find info on the following:

What should I do with the kernel sources SFS file available for download in the 1st post?
Why is it needed?
What does it do?

Would be a good idea to give instructions for use below the link in the 1st post.

Is it possible to edit the isolinux.cfg file in the ISO in this way so that a pupsave on an internal HDD is treated as though a pupsave on a Flash Drive?
I'll try it and see if it works.