Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#1301 Post by James C »

Since you are busy building some new kernels......I just put together a Slacko 5.30 with k-3.1.0.Out of the 8 or 9 different kernels I'm running in different Puppy installs this one has the lowest ram usage so far...even lower than Guy Dog.
Just to give you some more ideas..... :lol:
Attachments
Slacko-k-3.1.0.png
(17.82 KiB) Downloaded 519 times

stu90

#1302 Post by stu90 »

James C wrote:Since you are busy building some new kernels......I just put together a Slacko 5.30 with k-3.1.0.Out of the 8 or 9 different kernels I'm running in different Puppy installs this one has the lowest ram usage so far...even lower than Guy Dog.
Just to give you some more ideas..... :lol:
Nice James C! :D

stu90

Re: suggested feature for next versions

#1303 Post by stu90 »

soundNICK wrote:
soundNICK wrote:[quote=
...now I ask important question (hope you see /this/ post)

pemasu - just thought of this last night... you will like it maybe !

here is the idea... based on what I see with 5.x.8/9 desktops_ where
you can pick e2 /or/ JWM_ maybe you could add a function to
wmswitcher so its possible to add multiple instances of JWM... such as
JWM-1 / JWM-2 /... to pick from the list.
You could add as many as needed, and have completely different
desktops to work with.
I see this functionality now with my e2/JWM... that is, when I switch
from one to the other one, icons on first desktop no longer show up in
the other... so, this idea already works, except there is just one JWM
available.
To me, this would be great for any app... say, maybe you like Gimp...
and you want to keep 5 or 10 gimp only files on a working desktop... so...
you make JWM-2 with just a gimp icon, and, all these associated files,
and then could switch to that when you want to work on gimp.
Of course, it would work for any application.

it might be there is only one JWM config file or one e2 config file, and this
idea wouldnt actually work... you would know better.

soundNICK
JWM is the windows managers - the desktop icons are controlled by Rox-filer the file manager, you can have multiple different desktop profiles as you describe as switch to them on the fly.

the Pinboard file for puppy is /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin this is the file that controls what icons are show on the desktop.

Im not aware of any GUI for pinboard switching? but you could copy the pinboard file then edit it do display the icons and launchers of your choosing - see more about using rox-filer piboard on this link:
http://rox.sourceforge.net/Manual/Manua ... #id2456497

pemasu

#1304 Post by pemasu »

I am not using Pinboard tuning much. All the time changing your puplet version makes the tuning quite useless...
But there is in menu > Desktop > Desksetup Templates for Desktop icons.
It has some functionality how to tune your Pinboard.
In same menu location is also Backup my Desktop. I believe both takes backups of your existing Pinboard.
Both apps can be found as pets in this forum. I am sure that playing with them could lead even better functionality with them. 01mickos Deskset already has switching capabilities.

pemasu

#1305 Post by pemasu »

James C. That sounds great. I played with 3.0.8 yesterday. Almost all is now functional. Intel driver still refuses to work for me. Acpi section also needs another inspection.
But 3.1.0 sounds great. I am taking easy space with 3.X kernel. More or less I test them. My next version update will probably be still 2.6.39.4. The woof still coughs with 3.X even though Barry has updated builddistro, it does not do the 3.X kernel job automatically. The puppy.sfs will be squashed with 3.3 version. I have needed to do manual tuning to get 4.2 version used.

pemasu

#1306 Post by pemasu »

Breakthrough with 3.0.8 kernel compiled in Dpup. I downloaded wuxiandianzi 3.1.0 lupu 525 and it booted X with intel driver. So...the 3.X kernel is not the reason for my intel driver failure. Then I checked the i915.conf file and it has a long command:

Code: Select all

install i915 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install fbcon; [ -e /tmp/.i915_modeset_0 ] && /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install i915 modeset=0 $CMDLINE_OPTS || ( [ -e /tmp/.i915_nomodeset ] && /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install i915 $CMDLINE_OPTS || /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install i915 modeset=1 $CMDLINE_OPTS )
I copied that conf file to my woof build and bingo. I can boot to the X with intel driver loaded:

Code: Select all

Linux Kernel: 3.0.8
Operating System: Dpup Exprimo-5.X.10
Window Manager: jwm
X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel
acpitool -s does not suspend anymore:
# acpitool -s
Function Do_Suspend : could not open file : /proc/acpi/sleep.
You must have write access to /proc/acpi/sleep to suspend your computer.
....there isnt sleep file what to call.....
....but echo mem > /sys/power/state does suspend and also waking up is ok.
I changed that to the sleep.sh script and voila....Fn + Zz button suspends to the ram and also wakes up ok.
......frisbee-tray works with new kernel. I am sure many are dissapointed to hear that. It did seqfault with my previous test but with my latest woof build it somehow works. I was already ready to leave Frisbee out. I have however tested sleep.sh script without calling Frisbee after resuming suspend by calling /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network and that enables automatic wireless connection after resume. I wonder if there is anyone who would miss Frisbee if I leave it out ?
It seems I can update scripts to work without it.
Now I need to use this kernel longer to see if I can trace other bugs.
By the way wuxiandianzi kernel does not have ath5k.ko or ath9k.ko wireless modules included, so I had to use ethernet card to get his kernel build lupu525 to connect to the net. But that build already has shown me the way.

peebee

#1307 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:I wonder if there is anyone who would miss Frisbee if I leave it out ?
Me
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Puppyt

#1308 Post by Puppyt »

Me three :)
Attachments
Frisbee dawg.jpg
(9.62 KiB) Downloaded 1481 times
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

stu90

#1309 Post by stu90 »

Pemasu - could always set frisbee manager to disabled as default ?

pemasu

#1310 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. I suppose so...well...it is fine tuning anyway.
It looks like that arch linux is the only linux distro so far which has fixed acpitool. Acpitool seems to suffer this new kernel naming convention. 3.0.X seems to confuse it and it needs samekind patching to work correctly as in Puppies filemnt, bootmanager and sfs_load. 3.1 kernel should have fix for naming so that it should adress it self as 2.6.39.xx something. I didnt remember to test wuxiandianzi 3.1 kernel and acpitool.
Anyway archlinux acpitool-0.5.1-4 package works. I compiled acpitool from latest source but it wasnt 3.x kernel fixed !!!
It looks like acpitool is not actively supported anymore.

Damn it. Now with new acpitool Vattery seqfaults. Oh well.....

Ray MK

#1311 Post by Ray MK »

Hi pemasu

Frisbee is good to have available.
The way it is setup at present - is the best so far.
It seems to work well - and is fast.

SNS and Dougals network setup are also good to have.

If I remember correctly Slacko-5.3 has all 3 - nice.

So did klp-006 - another v.nice puppy.

HTH - thanks again - very best regards - Ray

zulhilmi

error...........

#1312 Post by zulhilmi »

today i have installed 5.9 and after the reboot,it stucked at this:

'kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:unable to mount root fd on unnown-block (8,1)

how to fix it??

pemasu

#1313 Post by pemasu »

Hmm...sounds like you are not pointing to the right location of booting needed files, like vmlinuz, initrd.gz and squeeze.sfs. Without knowing how you boot, you cant get more spesific answer. But I believe you are not booting correctly.

zulhilmi

#1314 Post by zulhilmi »

5.9 is on the 1st partition...while slako 5.3 at the 2nd partition..with 1GB of swapfile partition...boot? as normal..as usual....

zulhilmi

#1315 Post by zulhilmi »

pemasu wrote:Hmm...sounds like you are not pointing to the right location of booting needed files, like vmlinuz, initrd.gz and squeeze.sfs. Without knowing how you boot, you cant get more spesific answer. But I believe you are not booting correctly.
what do u mean by not booting correctly? :roll:

zulhilmi

#1316 Post by zulhilmi »

pemasu wrote:Hmm...sounds like you are not pointing to the right location of booting needed files, like vmlinuz, initrd.gz and squeeze.sfs. Without knowing how you boot, you cant get more spesific answer. But I believe you are not booting correctly.
see the pic?
Attachments
5.9.jpg
(70.82 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times

zulhilmi

#1317 Post by zulhilmi »

how to copy n paste in linux??? :lol:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1318 Post by Flash »

What works for me is to highlight what I want to copy, but don't do anything else; then go to where I want to paste the highlighted stuff and simultaneously click both the left and right mouse buttons. There are other ways that don't use the mouse at all, but I've forgotten them.

zulhilmi

#1319 Post by zulhilmi »

Flash wrote:What works for me is to highlight what I want to copy, but don't do anything else; then go to where I want to paste the highlighted stuff and simultaneously click both the left and right mouse buttons. There are other ways that don't use the mouse at all, but I've forgotten them.
will try ur proven record.. :D

pemasu

#1320 Post by pemasu »

zulhilmi. Ok, you are using full installs and you have grub4dos as bootloader. You have used grub4dosconfig for semiautomatic boot configure creation. menu.lst seems to be created by that config tool.
I am not experienced of full installs. I havent ever installed any Puppy as full install. But I dont see anything wrong with your configuration.
So....I am clueless.

Acpitool. I downloaded acpitool source and patch for 3.0 kernels from archlinux repo. I didnt include battery patch. Voila. Now all works with semipatched acpitool compiled in dpup. Acpitool -s suspends. Vattery-acpitool works without patch and vattery-ibam works. Vattery-ibam is what I need since it accepts the commands to suspend or shutdown when battery state is critical.
So...semipatched acpitool seems to be best compromise so far. I cant get vattery-acpitool source anymore. It was one of those which is lost when puppeee.com entered digital black hole. It was compiled using vala, so the source reading would have been laborous for me anyway. Relief in fact that it is lost, lol.