Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sickgut

#561 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:Yes then Swedish will work in that version then. No big deal.
I can do the setxkbmap se easily.

Is the iso uploaded yet?
the iso is still uploading, i fell asleep during upload last night, this morning i realized that the upload falied due to not enough space on the server, i have deleted the old alpha-full.iso to make room for it. I will post when the upload has finnished

[EDIT] the iso is finally uploaded, goto http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... -xtra2.iso
Last edited by sickgut on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

sickgut

#562 Post by sickgut »

re: USB version of Pussy.

After much experimentation, i have decided to standardize the USB image version of Pussy.

When I upload the beta-preview version of Pussy for USB the old alpha version will be deleted from the server. The size of the image with be optimized for 2GB USB or SDcard removable media and have a single FAT32 partition that covers the entire drive. This is so that the USB stick is still readable on Windows computers and usable and writable on such.
The official save file method for USB will be the compressed save file method that manually writes a new save-file squashfs in the /live dir of the USB stick. On a 2gb USB stick with 650mb used for the OS, there should be atleast 1.1GB free for save file usage. Because of the compression being used for the save file, its quite possible to fit 3GB of data into the 1.1GB free space.

For smaller than 2GB USB sticks:
If you image a USB stick that is 1GB in size then there will be no problem, because the data is only on the first 660mb of the drive, there will be no data loss when the smaller USB stick is imaged with the 2GB image. The single partition that covers the entire drive will still work, but it smaller. Most 1GB USB sticks should still have atleast 250mb free space for the compressed save file. Even tho the dd or other imaging program might error out when the imaging has reached the 1GB mark, the drive will still be fully functional.

For larger than 2GB USB sticks.
After the disk is imaged then using gparted or other partitioning program, the partition that covers 2GB of your disk can be resized to expand to the entire size of the disk.

What about low ram machines?
The USB image version of Pussy will have a auto setup swapfile script. Once executed this script will create a swapfile then update /etc/fstab to mount the swap file on boot, then Pussy will create a save file on the USB stick so that the change will be remembered next boot, but the swapfile will be active immediately without the need to reboot. There will be options to make a 64/ 100/ or 200mb swap file. This will help those computers with low ram to not actually freeze or fail due to running out of memory, but swap isnt a replacement for more ram. Pussy will automatically search your drives for swap partitions and mount them but those of you using windows only will not have linux swap partitions on their HDD's.

This is how the new .img versions of Pussy will be setup. To image a USB stick with the .img file you mu st use the linux dd command, or use an imaging program that does exactly the same thing.

USB stick versions of Pussy can be created from .iso's using a variety of popular programs but having an .img version for imaging to USB sticks is better from a support point of view, because everyone who images their USB stick with the image will immediately have a fully working, writable Pussy with all the menus at boot being exactly how they should be with no other junky files created on the USB stick. When helping a person with support who is using a USB stick image of Pussy, you can be 100% sure that certain files are there and be sure they are configured correctly.

If anyone has comments or input regarding the USB stick .img version of Pussy then please post.

sickgut

#563 Post by sickgut »

re: RAM usage and future documentation layout.

for those of you wanting to gloat over the fact that most distros cant even boot with 42mb RAM but Pussy will magically boot, as well as run Xorg in 42mb RAM with pleanty of RAM spare (18MB free) using only 57% of available RAM....while running ssh, telnet, ftp and webservers as well...... you might like to visit the following link:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... mb-ram.png

i have uploaded the screen capture .png to the forum as well.

Regarding documentation, i plan to have readme or help or instruction whatever name you li ke to call it... files in the catroll-panel, next to options that require explanation. If you try the new pussy-beta-preview-xtra2.iso you will notice an attempt to do this in the catroll-panel ----> save-file section. Please let me know what you guys think about doing it like this. The idea is that documentation is right next to and available to read whenever you would like to do something. That way the user doesnt need to read 100 pages of docs before using Pussy or sort through the subject headings to find the info they need about save files. If we use this way of doing it, then i will also add a catroll-panel setting that deletes all documentation... good for non newbies who dont need it. I hope to impliment the read as you go documentation (for example, the /www dir where the cleanmode browser lives, will have a readme.txt (or whatever we will call the .txt files) that tells the user exactly what cleanmode browsing is.

I think its a good idea to not presume there are alsolute stupid newbies using Pussy and documentation required for everything.... No documentation for the screen-capture in the catroll-panel or the filesystem options in catroll-panel..for example... they explain themselves. But for things that are different enough to normal OSes to the point a normal user might need help.. will have documentation. Any future HDD install feature and also using the wvdialup will need documentation for example. Also when pussy boots, the login screem next to the logo will tell the user about startx and other console applications installed.. this should have already been done but i forgot.

Please let me know what you guys think about teh documentation thing.
Attachments
pussy-42mb-ram.png
check it out
(39.89 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

saintless

#564 Post by saintless »

Good idea to include documentation in pussy linux, sickgut.
It doesn't take much space and if you include code examples, like how to mount drives, how to setup keyboard layout, how to change screen resolution and etc. it will make pussy linux easy to use for everyone.
I'm sure debian users already know those things, but the way of doing them is different from puppy linux.
Thank you for the new iso. Downloading and start testing. :)

sickgut

#565 Post by sickgut »

just so everyone knows why the crappy pussy logo is still the default desktop when you boot to normal desktop, and a nice pussy cat is really awesome when you select rox filer background:

The nice high quality cats eye wallpaper doesnt work with JWM very well. BUT also a no background makes the desktop look like a grid and this to an unseasoned user may look like there is an error or there is something wrong. I experimented with just a pure black background but this will also give the impression that something isnt right... we have all used linuxes where the desktop hasnt loaded propperly and there is an error and the desktop is one colour and the icons are missing..... I dont want to panic a new user with a desktop that looks like it isnt working. This is why i kept the crappy cat logo as the background.

Can someone please make a small cat logo that scales well? Must look ok on 800x 480 (the smallest screen size currently on the market for intel based netbooks EeePC 701sd for example)..... all the way up to 1440x 900 or so which is the standard high resolution used for most LCD screens.

The only reason i didnt replace "crappy cat" with a better cat was my lack of ability in computer graphics. I would like to keep the logo as like clipart, not photo realistic, as JWM can only hand XPM format pics and these get really huge with photo quality. Also i would like the logo to be memorable and recognizable and this logo will be used to promote pussy on other websites maybe with an animated gif on distro watch etc.

also a reminder the new xtra version with all the apps has finnished uploading and you can get it at http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... -xtra2.iso
note the "2" in the name of the ISO, this is the seccond version of this ISO because the original one had a non working virtualbox. If your using the one with xtra.iso at the end then download this new one, it contains alot more programs and fixes too

big_bass

#566 Post by big_bass »

Last edited by big_bass on Wed 28 Dec 2011, 14:49, edited 3 times in total.

saintless

#567 Post by saintless »

I don't think I will be able to make a good logo for pussy linux, but I attach one of the other pictures for alternative desktop.
I kind of like the original desktop cat from the alpha. This was the first image of pussy linux and I think you should keep it in the iso at least like a picture in the documentation folder.

Edit: I attach the same picture in XPM format. It works with JWM. The Pussy linux text is a little bit higher on that picture, because the taskbar was on top of it.
Sickgut, if you like I can try to convert the picture from the ROX-filler background the same way and see if it works with JWM.

Edit 2: OK, I put two of the pictures in archives to save space. In background.tar.gz is the white pussycat and in the background2.tar.gz is the original cat from ROX-filler background. Booth work on pussy JWM desktop before starting ROX-filler background, but the second picture is 3 MB. We can reduce the quality and size if you decide to use them, sickgut.
Attachments
background.tar.gz
(159.18 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Pussy linux.jpg
(21.14 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

sickgut

#568 Post by sickgut »

saintless wrote:I don't think I will be able to make a good logo for pussy linux, but I attach one of the other pictures for alternative desktop.
I kind of like the original desktop cat from the alpha. This was the first image of pussy linux and I think you should keep it in the iso at least like a picture in the documentation folder.

Edit: I attach the same picture in XPM format. It works with JWM. The Pussy linux text is a little bit higher on that picture, because the taskbar was on top of it.
Sickgut, if you like I can try to convert the picture from the ROX-filler background the same way and see if it works with JWM.

Edit 2: OK, I put two of the pictures in archives to save space. In background.tar.gz is the white pussycat and in the background2.tar.gz is the original cat from ROX-filler background. Booth work on pussy JWM desktop before starting ROX-filler background, but the second picture is 3 MB. We can reduce the quality and size if you decide to use them, sickgut.
Yes, i did that before.. and just like you posted... when you convert the jpg to xpm its way too big at 3 or 4mb, this is what i tried before but i think 3mb for wallpaper is too much. And JWM seems to not want to work with the original 330kb jpg. it doesnt make sense to me to have a 3mb background for the basic JWM background, as i want it to load fast as possible.

Bert

#569 Post by Bert »

Hi sickgut,

I've been following this topic from day one :wink:

About backgrounds in JWM: maybe I don't understand your problem, but I've attached the default list of jwm backgrounds in Slacko..no size problem whatsoever.. but again, maybe you're facing a problem I'm not aware of. Good luck for Pussy!
Attachments
jwm-backgrounds.png
(76.15 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

saintless

#570 Post by saintless »

I did some tests with the web camera programs.

Luvcview - works fine, but I can't figure out how to capture images. I'll read more about how that program is working.
Fswebcam - looks very promising, but it needs to make manual configuration file to work. I will investigate how to do it. It can continuous capture images with interval less than 2 seconds.
Webcamera Monitor just shows if there is a camera swiched-On in the taskbar.
Webcam - I can't make it work for me. It gives me a message "reading configuration file: /root/.webcamrc can't get RGB24 data". It might need some configuration file as well.
Camstream - it opens a window, but can't get image from my camera.

I've installed with apt-get camorama. It is 29 Mb, it captures continuously with not less than 60 seconds interval and can not capture video.

Sickgut, please include in the next iso GTkam camera manager which puppy has. I've installed it with apt-get and it works fine. We need a program to copy images from camera to computer.

john3voltas

#571 Post by john3voltas »

sickgut:
This thread has grow big!
Can't read it all.
Yesterday I think I caught you mentioning something about an issue when trying to mount the partition where Pussy boots from.
I'm not sure if you've noticed it already but /live/image is mounted RW and it is the partition where you boot from with Pussy.
Or have I misinterpreted you?
Cheers

EDIT: I'm running the beta-preview2 and I must let you know that I'm still having keyboard issues. Starting to think if this isn't an issue with debian itself...

nooby

#572 Post by nooby »

john3voltas wrote:sickgut:
Can't read it all.
Yesterday I think I caught you mentioning something about an issue when trying to mount the partition where Pussy boots from.
I'm not sure if you've noticed it already but /live/image is mounted RW and it is the partition where you boot from with Pussy.
Cheers

EDIT: I'm running the beta-preview2 and I must let you know that I'm still having keyboard issues. Starting to think if this isn't an issue with debian itself...
Maybe you mean when he told me about his IRC chat with Debian Developers and them told him them are working on it.

There is a huge differences between Ubuntu and Debian.

Ubuntu already works. I can save changes and edit and delete
any kind of file AFAIK but even this latest version of Pussy
does not even allow me to edit the menu.lst that I used to boot it on.

So it is not Sickgut's error it is the Debian people that set it up that way.
Way back in time Unix people decided on policies and Debian hold on to them.

I trust Ubuntu does too but that them made some human error and
that the current "permission" I have is some kind of bug.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

saintless

#573 Post by saintless »

john3voltas, what are the keyboard issues? Check if the information below solve them. Sickgut will add a fix for this in the next iso.
saintless wrote:If someone wants to add different keyboard-layout before the official beta version is ready, here are the commands:

This one will install other keyboard layouts:

Code: Select all

apt-get install keyboards-rg
After that type:

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Follow the instructions and choose your layout. BTW you can choose also to exit X with Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace.
We steel have a problem with RW on NTFS Boot partition only. All other vfat and ext boot partitions have RW access. If NTFS partition is not the one pussy boots from, it has RW access as well. Only NTFS Boot Partition is waiting to be fixed for debian (not only for pussy linux).

sickgut

#574 Post by sickgut »

john3voltas wrote:sickgut:
Can't read it all.
Cheers

the writing to boot partition is only and issue with ntfs filesystems as the kernel read only driver mounts it before ntfs-3g can.

nooby

#575 Post by nooby »

Yes that seems to be the best explanation for it.
Suprising things is that Ubuntu obviously has changed how
them set up things then because there it works?

john3voltas

#576 Post by john3voltas »

nooby wrote:Suprising things is that Ubuntu obviously has changed how them set up things then because there it works?
Well, buntoo has an history of doing things the way they want without letting anyone else on it, don't they?
A budd of mine is a developer and sometimes he does minor fixes in their code.
Not long ago he told me that the release logs don't show even 10% of all the changes made into the code.
It's a bloody mess.
Even so, they usually do a hell of a job fixing the mess before it hits the streets...
Anyway, I can't write in the partition where grub4dos is installed but I can write in the partition where I have Pussy's vmlinuz+initrd.img+allsquashfs.
Maybe my difference is that I have grub4dos installed in a separate partition that win7 creates with just a 100MB. That's where win7 puts it's bootloader and that's where I have put grub4dos too.
Regarding my keyboard issue, it's not a Debian issue because I've just tested on my Debian Frugal and it worked properly.
Took a setxkbmap -print on Debian and it shows:

user@debian:~$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+pt+inet(evdev)+level3(ralt_switch)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
};
user@debian:~$ 
Whereas a setxkbmap -print on puppy shows:

sh-4.1# setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc/pc(pc102)+pc/pt"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc102)"	};
};
sh-4.1#
I wonder what I'll get in Pussy's setxkbmap -print.
Let me check that and I'll get back here to report it ASAP.
Cheers

john3voltas

#577 Post by john3voltas »

Now that's odd.
Just tried to write something in my /live/image with no success. :?
I don't know if yesterday I was so sleepy that I screwed up and wrote in the wrong mounting point. OR, something is up today that is preventing me from writing to that mouting point.
All in all, I guess I screwed up yesterday and I was never able to write into my /live/image... :oops:

nooby

#578 Post by nooby »

Thanks, I am so chicken. Now I have two of them.
Acer Netbook 10" Atom CPU N270 D250 and then Acer Netbook 10" Atom CPU Nxxx D255 I've have forgotten what it was N470 maybe.

Anyway the D255 is more noisy I don't really like it. I could maybe wipe it
of Ms WinXP and do a real full install of Grub2 and that way I would be
able to have Debian and Arch and a lot of what most Linux users have.

I mean my persistent usage of only doing frugal install on NTFS is
a bit fanatic. Even I realize that. Frugal Fundamentalism oops the other way aroung :) Fundamentalistic Frugalism. grammar is important :)
I am a Fundy Frugal Guy. Never boot anything without being frugal.

Anyway you could be right. My hdd have three NTFS partitions.

If I formatted one of them as ext2 and booted from that one using grub2 then I would be able to boot anything and write back most likely.

sickgut

#579 Post by sickgut »

john3voltas wrote:
nooby wrote:Suprising things is that Ubuntu obviously has changed how them set up things then because there it works?
Well, buntoo has an history of doing things the way they want without letting anyone else on it, don't they?
A budd of mine is a developer and sometimes he does minor fixes in their code.
Not long ago he told me that the release logs don't show even 10% of all the changes made into the code.
It's a bloody mess.
Even so, they usually do a hell of a job fixing the mess before it hits the streets...
Anyway, I can't write in the partition where grub4dos is installed but I can write in the partition where I have Pussy's vmlinuz+initrd.img+allsquashfs.
Maybe my difference is that I have grub4dos installed in a separate partition that win7 creates with just a 100MB. That's where win7 puts it's bootloader and that's where I have put grub4dos too.
Regarding my keyboard issue, it's not a Debian issue because I've just tested on my Debian Frugal and it worked properly.
Took a setxkbmap -print on Debian and it shows:

user@debian:~$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+pt+inet(evdev)+level3(ralt_switch)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"	};
};
user@debian:~$ 
Whereas a setxkbmap -print on puppy shows:

sh-4.1# setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc/pc(pc102)+pc/pt"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc102)"	};
};
sh-4.1#
I wonder what I'll get in Pussy's setxkbmap -print.
Let me check that and I'll get back here to report it ASAP.
Cheers
@john3voltas
its quite possible that there are differences in the debian that you usually use and pussy due to a missing package or some such in pussy.

This fix from saintless seems to work:

apt-get install keyboards-rg

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

in the next round of releases, pussy will have an entry in the catroll-panel that installs the keyboards-rg package then reconfigures it so you can then select your keyboard.

in regards to the writing to boot partition, once booted, open /etc/mtab and see if /live/image is mounted rw. Mostly unless your running ntfs the writing to boot partition just works but i have experienced some times when it doesnt. I narrowed it down to how grub boots it. I noticed that if i specified stuff like root=/dev/sda4/ etc etc that it didnt work, but if i didnt specify those things then it did work. Seems the less info in grub the better. If grub2 is installed on the same partition as pussy is installed on, you dont need to specify the root fs in grub2, it picks it up automatically.

Everything will work simply with:

menuentry 'Pussy'
{
linux /live/vmlinuz boot=live config swapon noprompt quickreboot noautologin
initrd /live/initrd.img
}

Or if you do need to specify the partition pussy resides on (ie grub is not installed on same partition as pussy)...then do it via the uuid like:

menuentry 'Pussy'
{
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 81b13c28-bddb-4ede-9edb-aee4159a93ba
linux /live/vmlinuz root=UUID=81b13c28-bddb-4ede-9edb-aee4159a93ba rw boot=live config swapon noprompt quickreboot noautologin
initrd /live/initrd.img
}

To find the uuid of a drive, pussy has a tool for that in the catroll-panel ---> filesystem ---->disk-uuid or you can use the blkid command.

there is something mysterious and magical about writing to the boot partition (ie. the live media). Mostly it works but when it doesnt its a bit of a puzzle, but the simpler the grub config the better. When i had this problem, i removed everything that didnt need to be in grub and it worked, but i dont know exactly what stops it working.

[EDIT] After testing i can confirm that this type of tag: root=/dev/sda4 rw
stops you having rw access and that is with and without the rw bit at the end.
Also, simply just specifying: set root='(hd0,1)'
this stops you having rw access aswell. I think you need to have the insmod bits in there if you need to specify a partition other than the one grub is installed on.

aarf

#580 Post by aarf »

got pussy-beta-preview-xtra2.iso down with some accidents along the way. how do these checkout?

sh-4.1# md5sum *
ae55d14d796070455dd909a77f30ac7d  1-filesystem.squashfs
203bcfb74392d985fa904e8604960aa4  2-pussyOS-beta.squashfs
fca1c3de5822e2c9d9ed17239911ffff  3-seamonkey.squashfs
e60599a41f7d0afa5a94e0b246772e4b  4-pussyxtra-beta.squashfs
16a091d4e2aa347f3badef825adf3d32  initrd.img
82c5831721e6ff9d069887207976ba1e  vmlinuz
sh-4.1# 
only
2-pussyOS-beta.squashfs and 4-pussyxtra-beta.squashfs are different from the preview beta. so those are the ones i need confirmation on.