Lighthouse 64 5.12 Beta 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ArnaudN

#121 Post by ArnaudN »

Hi everyone,

I have tried L64 5.12 on my laptop.
I like it because it is almost the only pupplet I can connect to the internet with (wifi chipset ralink 2500).

Problems I have are:
- CPU load does not fall below 20% doing nothing.
- Touchpad moves are desperately slow.

Any idea ?
Thanks for your answers

Q5sys

#122 Post by Q5sys »

ArnaudN wrote:Problems I have are:
Go into Keyboard and Mouse setup. and then choose set up touchpad.
Change the Max setting to like 10
and change the Min setting to like 6.
Then save those settings. Should take effect immediately. If not restart X.
Thats what worked for me.

gcmartin

LAMP Web Server

#123 Post by gcmartin »

Meshworks wrote: ... After some failed attempts with other pets and sfs files, the above linked version runs fine. ...
Great news. A LAMP server on LH64.

@Meshworks is there any chance that you would create a PET from this for community installation (64bit). And, could you add a Menu Item (in Internet/Network) for start of the LAMP server. This could, then, end up in either the Update Utility or the PPM.

This would insure that installers get it correctly.

This is great news.

tazoc

Adjust Touch Pad

#124 Post by tazoc »

Q5sys wrote:
ArnaudN wrote:Problems I have are:
Go into Keyboard and Mouse setup. and then choose set up touchpad.
Change the Max setting to like 10
and change the Min setting to like 6.
Then save those settings. Should take effect immediately. If not restart X.
Thats what worked for me.
Maybe install attached Pet and click Menu->Setup->Adjust Touch Pad. Next release will include this if it works...

[Update: Pet updated, added Startup script to retain settings]
-TaZoC
Attachments
flSynclient-0.7p2-x86_64-L2.pet
flSynclient for Lighthouse 64 5.12
(131.02 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
Last edited by tazoc on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

einar

next release ?

#125 Post by einar »

next release far away ?

best regards

Einar

Meshworks

Lamp install..

#126 Post by Meshworks »

@ gcmartin

Hi there - I looked at the pet maker but couldn't get my head round it.

You're far better off going for the installer on the apache friends website - its a snip to install and you're guaranteed to get a clean install that way.

It really is as simple as my earlier post states!

tazoc

Re: next release ?

#127 Post by tazoc »

einar wrote:next release far away ?

best regards

Einar
Hopefully in a week or two. Had some unrelated problems come up recently (car repairs; lack of funds and insurance for prescriptions, etc.) and haven't had much time to work here lately. Here are (tentative) release notes in case you're curious:

What's New
Linux 3.0.3, Aufs 3.0 and Xorg 1.9.5 from Fatdog 64-520 (thanks to Kirk)
Kernel re-compiled against gcc-4.5.2 and glibc-2.13, with same config as Kirk's.

Updated initial ramdisk to 64-bit. Both SquashFS compressed main file and initrd now use xz (LZMA2) compression. Size reduction of more than 20% vs. gz compression with comparable boot times. Updated notes in /etc/rc.d/initrd.txt to extract or rebuild the new initrd.xz.

Boot option pfix=pure64 - skip loading of built-in zWine SFS and 32-bit libs.

Edit-SFS updated to build squash files with xz compression (kernel 2.6.38+ or 3.0+ or later required)

BarryK's new shutdownconfig (a GUI running in X for pupsave creation triggered by the first reboot or poweroff from the Shutdown menu.) So now we can use a mouse in these dialogs and ensure that a save file can be created even if console/shutdown fails due to display driver/KMS conflict.

For ATI/Nvidia video, Xorg defaults to vesa and does not load radeon or nouveau by default, instead can use 'Choose' option in 'xorgwizard-puppy' to install them. This allows enhanced proprietary drivers to be installed and used during the first session without conflicts from radeon or nouveau.

ROX desktop drive icons display volume labels if available (thanks to Jemimah.) Tooltip shows traditional device names, file system and size. Both identifiers are shown in Pmount.

Pmount and desktop icon scripts updated to support mounting to /media/<volume_label> (with symlinks in /mnt) instead of /mnt/sdxx for best results with Gvfs, Thunar, PCManFM and File->Open/Save dialogs. Option in Pmount preferences to revert to /mnt only if desired.

Puppy Universal Installer updated for the zWine SFS and other Lighthouse tweaks. An ext4 partition and full install bugfix. Boot menus install on flash/usbhd drives with full options, same as LiveCD. Selection dialog indicates if other Linux or Windows is detected on each partition.

CUPS 1.4.6, Gutenprint 5.2.7 (64-bit printer drivers) and gtk+2 compiled in L64
Firefox 8.0, Fotoxx 11.09, GParted 0.9.0, Xine 0.99.7hg, PupControl 1.8.2, PupClockset 1.6.3
flSynclient-0.7p2 Elantech|Alps|Synaptics touchpad configuration
Samba updated to 3.6.0
Blocks, checkers, sudoku, solitaire, freecell games
Sven 0.6 multimedia keyboard tray icon
Zarfy monitor control panel
HardInfo 0.5.2pre
Optional Stellarium 0.11 Sky simulator

-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

#128 Post by Jim1911 »

Thanks for the update. Looks like another winner is coming.

Regards,
Jim

gcmartin

#129 Post by gcmartin »

@Jim1911 is right. There are many others of us who also agree.

@TaZoC, Check your PM for a response.

ArnaudN

#130 Post by ArnaudN »

Hi everyone,
I have installed flSynclient.
Works well, but though I save them, settings are not restored after a reboot, or even a X restart.

tazoc

flSynclient Pet for Lighthouse 64 5.12 updated

#131 Post by tazoc »

Thank you, ArnaudN!

I just updated the flSynclient Pet for Lighthouse 64 5.12 with a Startup script to retain settings.

-TaZoC

BHINTZ

#132 Post by BHINTZ »

I have just purchased a 64 bit laptop and have fatpup working. I also got LHP64 512 working except for resume after suspend. I had the same problem with LMDE. Only fatdog seems to resume effectively.

I noticed that 513 was available and have set up a frugal install, but am unable to boot to desktop. I change gz to xz, but get a kernel panic and several lines that tell me very little. However there is some statement about kernel 2.6.35.?. I also tried pfix=pure64 in grub4dos boot menu.

Still no luck.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

bob

tazoc

5.13 kernel panic

#133 Post by tazoc »

BHINTZ wrote:I have just purchased a 64 bit laptop and have fatpup working. I also got LHP64 512 working except for resume after suspend. I had the same problem with LMDE. Only fatdog seems to resume effectively.

I noticed that 513 was available and have set up a frugal install, but am unable to boot to desktop. I change gz to xz, but get a kernel panic and several lines that tell me very little. However there is some statement about kernel 2.6.35.?. I also tried pfix=pure64 in grub4dos boot menu.

Still no luck.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

bob
Hi Bob,
I think I fixed the suspend to ram in 513; it works via PupShutdown here with my desktop. Between the holidays and the forum being down I haven't announced the 513 release, even though it is on the web site.

RE: the kernel panic, I could not reproduce it when booting from Grub or Flash media, but sometimes booting from the LiveCD I'm getting the panic immediately after "... loading L64-513.sfs". Is that when you see the panic? Seems like booting with puppy pfix=ram is OK, but if it finds a save file and then tries to copy the main file from the hard disk to ram--get a panic.

I'm working on tracking down the problem, but for now try booting with:

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=nocopy
Looks like it will need a new initrd so I think I'll take 513 off the download and release pages and hopefully release 514 with a fix for the kernel panic.

-TaZoC

Barburo

L 513

#134 Post by Barburo »

Hi Taz,
Still here despite the weather.
I have successfully downloaded 513 and now KDE works for me. I used the KDE .sfs that I had previously downloaded and which I never could get it to work in 512 (checked the md5 sums etc but no luck).
The only difference is that the 513 save file and partition it's on are ext3 not ext4. I can't see how that would make any difference, so maybe it was something I installed then un-installed. If I had gone back to a clean 512 install then KDE might have worked, but once you get a whole slew of customization you're less inclined to to start all over again
... so I have a lot of catching up to do.
Must confess I've been spending quite a lot of time with Mint 11 and 12 lately, but my roots (!) are in puppy.
I like the way 513 recognizes the screen resolution earlier in the boot process. No problems for me getting a working system first time. I guess that the gui for selecting save-file options prior to first time shutdown is a bit more user friendly but the functions seem to be exactly the same.
I'll now get to know the latest KDE and continue testing this release.
I thought that I detected a different font in 512 for the boot-up information messages, so that the /-\| sequence didn't have the gap in the vertical bar? Missing in 513.
Thanks as always for the work you put into these releases.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

LateAdopter

#135 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello tazoc

Thanks for the LH64 513 version. I set it up on Saturday and it works well.

The change in the display driver configuration had me going round in circles for a bit, but I got there in the end...

The reason was that the X.org on screen instructions say that, for the Radeon driver, you go to the desktop and click Update. But that only offers the AMD Radeon proprietary blob. The driver that I wanted was the X.org Radeon driver!

The good news is, that having got it sorted, 513 has the same X.org 1.9.5/7.10.3 that Fatdog64 520 has.

7.10.3 seems to be the first version that doesn't get blacklisted for hardware rendering acceleration.

With VLC the cpu load taken by X, when playing a 1920x1080 video goes down from about 40% to about 7% x 1 core.

Excellent! thank you.

einar

norwegian keyboard

#136 Post by einar »

Hi Tazoc

i also played with 513 this weekend :) it plays nice on my HP HDX 9050.
There is one difference form 512 or any other puplet i have tested. the norwegian keyboard layout does not work. i can choose it. but its wrong. i dont get our "local" letters : æøå

Hope you can fix this :)

Best regards

Einar

Jim1911

LH64-513

#137 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TaZoC,

LH64-513 runs great. Super :D I've tried Openbox, JWM, LXDE, and KDE window managers.

I've had a few problems. I did have to use the code "nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram" in my menu.lst to install it and had to keep "nomodeset" there after installation. Thanks for the comprehensive release notes.

1. Pmount freezes. See desktop picture. In KDE, as a workaround, I used startmount to place drives on the desktop in order to access the drives with file managers.

2. I've not been successful installing it on my new Dell laptop that I got on black friday. Fatdog64-521 works great on it. I'll report on it later after I try again to install it.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(35.38 KiB) Downloaded 1416 times

BHINTZ

boot issue - 513

#138 Post by BHINTZ »

I tried pfix=nocopy and that made no difference

I wrote down error message first few lines which occur immediately after -booting kernel

not syncing: VFS: unable to mount rootfs on unknown block (0,13)
Pid:1, comm: swapper not tainted 2.6.35.7 #1

These lines are followed by several lines of letters and numbers that I did not attempt to copy.

I also deleted save file so am trying to boot fresh frugal. I did not make a cd, but simply copied three basic files to directory.

If this gives you any clue, I check in several times a day.

bob

Jim1911

Re: LH64-513

#139 Post by Jim1911 »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi TaZoC,

LH64-513 runs great. Super :D I've tried Openbox, JWM, LXDE, and KDE window managers.

I've had a few problems. I did have to use the code "nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram" in my menu.lst to install it and had to keep "nomodeset" there after installation. Thanks for the comprehensive release notes.

1. Pmount freezes. See desktop picture. In KDE, as a workaround, I used startmount to place drives on the desktop in order to access the drives with file managers.

2. I've not been successful installing it on my new Dell laptop that I got on black friday. Fatdog64-521 works great on it. I'll report on it later after I try again to install it.

Cheers,
Jim
Sorry, I've been unsuccessful at installing it on my laptop. This post is using Fatdog64-521. Attached is your sys-info report. I believe that the problem is the Intel(R)Sandybridge Mobile Graphics Chipset. I'll keep trying.

Regards,
Jim
Attachments
sys-info-111128.gz
(9.58 KiB) Downloaded 498 times

Meshworks

Sorry - 513 problems here

#140 Post by Meshworks »

Hi Taz - sorry mate - disk mounting failed on 513 so am still running 512.

On 513, Pmount displays an orange "scanning hardware" window that does not complete and follow to the pmount dialog box.

Also, on leaving X (restart or powerdown) the machine reaches a command prompt then immediately runs X again - leaving no way to quit without hitting the power button.

I've been putting off a disk scan (two large ext2 partitions) because I don't trust the fsck command.

Could the disk mounting problems be due to disk errors on these partitions?

Could anyone please describe methods to:

1) do a file system check on the L64save.2fs ONLY.
2) do a file system check on ext2 partitions /mnt/sda3 and/or /mnt/sda1

I noticed after my abortive attempt with 513 that I had new folders on the base of the boot drive (etc, var, and so on)... is that usual? I prefer a frugal install with a save file and did not (as I remember) choose to "full install"...

I am looking forward to a 64 bit lighthouse that will compile the nvidia driver... will 513 do that?!

I am happy to include debug info but don't know what to post.

Many thanks in advance!