Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#521 Post by playdayz »

Sage wrote:
re-download and install it again
Already did that several times. Using 001, presume that's the same? Enumeration has gone crazy recently. Couldn't manage to uninstall - no routine. SiS963 S.Bridge with bog std CMedia sound chip. Looking into HW matters and will report back tomorrow.
Sage, by 001 do you mean luci-001, Three-Headed Dog? They are not the same update--the one for 3HD will come in a few days.. If that was the problem the easiest fix would be to re-install 3HD without wiping the installation so the default files were re-installed, if that is possible for you. Since 3HD and Lucid use different kernels there were some kernel dependent modules in the update--that would be the problem I would guess.

otropogo

#522 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
I can no longer view mp4 or flv video with Puppy after installing multimedia update #002.

I get an audio popup, but no video, and almost all of the options are greyed out.
otropogo, I just played several kinds of mp4's with the update. Are you clicking the video file to play with gnome-mplayer? I am not sure what you mean by "an audio popup and options grayed out." How are you playing the video's?
Yes. I normally just click on the video file, and gnome-Mplayer opens a reduced window and starts playing the audio and video. But after the update, clicking on the file only opens the grey gnome player task bar, with the buttons for play, rewind, stop, etc.. The audio starts playing, but no video window opens.

IIRC, I had a similar problem in Wary, except that in that case, a yellow window opened for a fraction of a second and then closed.

Re: options greyed out, looking at the original gnome player now, I see that most of the options are inactive there too, so there's no clue in that.

The "edit" dropdown menu has only "preferences" active, and the "view" menu only shows "playlist, audio meter, and controls" active.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

playdayz

#523 Post by playdayz »

Yes. I normally just click on the video file, and gnome-Mplayer opens a reduced window and starts playing the audio and video. But after the update, clicking on the file only opens the grey gnome player task bar, with the buttons for play, rewind, stop, etc.. The audio starts playing, but no video window opens.
otropogo, Please try this: click the play icon on the desktop to open gnome-mplayer and choose Edit -> Preferences, then click the drop down menu for Video Output and choose x11, instead of xv. The update made the change from x11 to xv because DVD menus do not display properly in x11, so it is kind of a no win situation.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 20:11, edited 4 times in total.

Sage

#524 Post by Sage »

luci-001, Three-Headed Dog
Ah ha!Yes that's the one. Got me (and a bunch of others) really confused.
Wiped the lot and reinstalled - seems to work now. Think there was a hardware issue too so changed the cpu for safety. Thanks for your swiftness, though - appreciated.

playdayz

#525 Post by playdayz »

Sage wrote:
luci-001, Three-Headed Dog
Ah ha!Yes that's the one. Got me (and a bunch of others) really confused.
Wiped the lot and reinstalled - seems to work now. Think there was a hardware issue too so changed the cpu for safety. Thanks for your swiftness, though - appreciated.
Sage, I am sorry that happened. I will put a message in bold red with the update.

This update is not for luci-001 Three-Headed Dog.

The different numbering is because Three-Headed Dog is not the successor to Lucid 5.2.8. Rather it is an experiment, using a newer kernel. That is why it is luci instead of lupu, so it doesn't accidentally overwrite someone's Lucid. I also put it into Puppy Derivatives for that reason. (That is not to say that anything is wrong with it--I use it myself.) I will pm you when I need a tester for the Three-Headed Dog update ;-)

majorfoo

#526 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote: The different numbering is because Three-Headed Dog is not the successor to Lucid 5.2.8. Rather it is an experiment, using a newer kernel. That is why it is luci instead of lupu, so it doesn't accidentally overwrite someone's Lucid. I also put it into Puppy Derivatives for that reason. (That is not to say that anything is wrong with it--I use it myself.) I will pm you when I need a tester for the Three-Headed Dog update ;-)
Will also help in testing when you get it in 3HD

majorfoo

playdayz

#527 Post by playdayz »

Here is the cool wallpaper from swiatmar that is new in Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8.

more by swiatmar and others -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 958#577958
Attachments
screen-wallpaperpuppy3d-wide.png
(181.01 KiB) Downloaded 1622 times

bigpup

#528 Post by bigpup »

I finally figured out why I keep having problems running Puppy 5.2.8 on this laptop I have.
Attachments
04.jpg
(39.64 KiB) Downloaded 1748 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

#529 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
otropogo, Please try this: click the play icon on the desktop to open gnome-mplayer and choose Edit -> Preferences, then click the drop down menu for Video Output and choose x11, instead of xv. The update made the change from x11 to xv because DVD menus do not display properly in x11, so it is kind of a no win situation.
Yes. That did the trick. Video is back. Thanks

playdayz

#530 Post by playdayz »

PSIP, Puppy Phone, looks very exciting. The info is in this thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70867
To download click the link provided there and when you get Smokey01's menu click the red phone, and then download the Psip for Lucid.

goutam

Usb modem Dialup

#531 Post by goutam »

Hi,

I am a newbie.
I just download Lucid puppy 5.2.8 , Instant updat 001 and 002.

I have Intel Celeron 1200Mhz ,256 Mb RAM PC.
I have a Micromax Usb modem MMX310g.
Please let me know that what dot pet package should I install to connet the modem to the internet.

Thanks,

Goutam.

bigpup

Re: Usb modem Dialup

#532 Post by bigpup »

goutam wrote:Hi,

I have a Micromax Usb modem MMX310g.
Please let me know that what dot pet package should I install to connet the modem to the internet.
Thanks,
Goutam.
What type modem? Wireless or wired?
First bootup Puppy 5.2.8 with the USB modem not plugged in.
Then, after Puppy is fully booted and running, plug in the USB modem and see if it is detected and setup.
Also try setting it up by using the menu->setup->Internet connection wizard.
What happens?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#533 Post by playdayz »

goutam, Since your computer has 256MB ram, I believe you would be better off with Slacko or Wary. The reason for that is that Lucid is too large to load into 256MB ram. Lucid would work better if you made a frugal or full but Slacko or Wary would work better from the Live CD. Wary is possibly better on an older cpu such as yours.
Slacko -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72806
Wary -> http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02543
Check here for drivers -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=48

Add: I have posted a version several messages below that should load into ram on your 256MB ram computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone test this please? The Instant Update has already been tested--this is just a sanity check to make sure the remaster went OK. Remaster, btw, went incredibly smoothly because of rerwin's tweaks to the Menu -> Setup -> Remaster Puppy Live CD script.

Here is an updated iso of Lucid 5.2.8. It contains Instant Update 002, which is a cumulative update, so no updates are needed, just the iso. Smokey01 suggested this. It works for me so far. Thanks.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.002.iso
fa51ceceba878461f013afd6dbe4b915
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 19:53, edited 7 times in total.

otropogo

#534 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote: Here is an updated iso of Lucid 5.2.8. It contains Instant Update 002, which is a cumulative update, so no updates are needed, just the iso. Smokey01 suggested this. It works for me so far. Thanks. I will also make one with the upgraded multimedia component.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.002.iso
Could you include the xhci-k2.6.33.2 module too? I believe that's the module that provides (limited) USB3 support.

playdayz

#535 Post by playdayz »

Could you include the xhci-k2.6.33.2 module too? I believe that's the module that provides (limited) USB3 support.
otropogo, We haven't tested the update with that module and these are only the updates we tested.

Can you provide a link to that module so people might be able to test it. Thanks.

otropogo

#536 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
otropogo, We haven't tested the update with that module and these are only the updates we tested.

Can you provide a link to that module so people might be able to test it. Thanks.
I used a link provided by Tempestuous.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 853#453853

The one-page thread linked below includes the above download link, a necessary tip on installation (for the untrained), as well as my preliminary results.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71860

Unfortunately, on my last attempt, I wasn't able to duplicate these results.

This might be due to the fact that this time I only tested the 3TB drive (albeit reformatted into a 2TB ntfs partition). My previous (somewhat) successful tests (no hot-plugging, but able to write to disk) were with a USB3 card reader and a 500GB USB3 drive. IIRC, the 3TB drive failed to appear at all when I first tested it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72336

As noted above, in lupu528 Pmount refuses to mount the 3TB drive even on USB2 ports, except in read-only mode, complaining about a problem with the ntfs filesystem. However, Slacko_5.29.6 reports no such problems and can write to the drive.

As noted in the previous post, lupu528_K.307 also supports writes to the 3TB drive on both USB3 and USB2 ports without complaints, but strangely cannot detect either my ethernet connection or my wireless modem. This is the first time I've encountered any internet auto-detection problem with any Puppy since 2.13 retro (and then it was only an issue of replacing a modem module - 5.28_K3.01 offers me no method of connecting on any of its three connection wizards).

playdayz

#537 Post by playdayz »

in lupu528 Pmount refuses to mount the 3TB drive even on USB2 ports, except in read-only mode, complaining about a problem with the ntfs filesystem. However, Slacko_5.29.6 reports no such problems and can write to the drive.
Have you tried Three-Headed Dog? It uses the same kernel as Slacko.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

gcmartin

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO testing complete

#538 Post by gcmartin »

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO to test on p.36
Thanks @Playdayz. I was hoping you could do this. You may want to move the announcement of these to the Opening Post on this thread. Thanks, in any event.

Very good test. No issues. Systems Report is attached.

@Playdayz - check PM
Attachments
lupu-528.002M_System-Report.tar.gz
LUPU-528.002M System Report
(6 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#539 Post by playdayz »

goutam, Here is a version of lupu-528 that will load into ram on computers with only 256MB ram. It does this by putting the drivers into a separate file. Slacko works the same way. We had trouble with this arrangement early on in Lucid so we did not use it after that, but it works for my 256MB ram laptop.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu- ... _256MB.iso

Testers wanted for this new version for 256 MB ram, and also wanted for testing updated ISO with and without the Multimedia Upgrade.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 670#580670

otropogo

#540 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:...
Have you tried Three-Headed Dog? It uses the same kernel as Slacko.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736
No. But my only USB3-capable PC has an Invidia video display (M210, IIRC), and I gather from your link that Three-Headed Dog won't work with Nvidia adapters.

In any case, I won't have another chance to test USB3 until the coming weekend.