Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sickgut

#541 Post by sickgut »

re: overhaul of the pussy-xtra.squashfs with the extra apps

This overhaul will add these to the existing file:

ace-of-penguins <---- card games
gtkballs <---- connect 5 game
hdparm <---- HDD performance utility (commandline)
openshot <---- entry level video editing, similar to MS Movie Maker in windows
ripperx <---- audio cdrom ripper application
FBreader <----- Ebook reader
Skype <----- Skype (do you really want me to explain this?)

make, gcc, bison, kernel sources etc.... similar to puppy devx
a webcam utility ... still testing for best one.

I need help finding a suitable DVD ripping utility that supports encrypted DVDs.... preferably in the debian repos... if not then a static install. We could use mencoder/ mplayer but its rather technical and commandline stuff is a little freaky to casual users.

Printer and scanner manager is a little above me at the moment. I will need to research more into CUPS etc and do alot of testing. If included in pussy, this should really be in the base OS not the extra apps file.

Virtualbox will be removed as its not working and if we get short on space then assaultcube will be removed to make room for more important stuff.

Saintless has posted 2 very interesting fixes, one is a alsa reinstall and the other adds keymaps for other languages, i havent decided if these will be added to the catroll-panel in this pussy-xtra squashfs or if it will be included in the base OS on the next release.

rokytnji

#542 Post by rokytnji »

I need help finding a suitable DVD ripping utility that supports encrypted DVDs.... preferably in the debian repos..

You'll have to add to /etc/apt/souces.list

Code: Select all

#Handbrake
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
If wanting to use Handbrake. You'll notice I specifically used the "sid" release. There is no "stable" prepackaged binary for Handbrake yet unless you're on Ubuntu, so you have to specify sid.

If wanting a gui for mencoder. I guess acidrip would be the gtk for it.

If I am missing the point entirely. My bad.

sickgut

#543 Post by sickgut »

rokytnji wrote:
I need help finding a suitable DVD ripping utility that supports encrypted DVDs.... preferably in the debian repos..

#Handbrake
If wanting to use Handbrake. You'll notice I specifically used the "sid" release. There is no "stable" prepackaged binary for Handbrake yet unless you're on Ubuntu, so you have to specify sid.

thanks for letting me know about handbrake, i didnt think of looking in sid. Will prob just download the .debs manually and use dpkg --install to install them. Thanks for telling me about acidrip aswell. Im not familair with dvd ripping with debian much at all. Puppy dvdsrab is awesome. I doubt ill be able to rig anything up as good as that.

ciento

#544 Post by ciento »

@ sickgut: Any idea how many man-hours the implementation
of apt-get took to accomplish? It seemed to have been on many
peoples list of unattainable grails. But you made it happen 8) !!!

Was a huge rewrite of puppy infrastructure necessary?

jbv

#545 Post by jbv »

sickgut wrote:in the mean time speak up... what do you want included?
Another one to consider would be synaptic.

If your planning to include FFMPEG along with its associated packages and a media-player, then a build of the latest release of "minidlna" would be neat.

Cheers

James C

#546 Post by James C »

ciento wrote:@ sickgut: Any idea how many man-hours the implementation

Pussy is Debian based....... not Puppy based.

Long,long ago,back in the original Gposil Dpup days, apt-get/Synaptic was basically working but real life interfered and the project was dropped.

nooby

#547 Post by nooby »

Not sure if it is proper to ask here.
Maybe I have to start a new thread.
Which I most likely already have somewhere???

What is it with Debian and Ubuntu.

Using this code works for Ubuntu but fails for Debian.

title Netrunner 2011 frugal iso boot of netrunner-3.2.iso
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /netrunner-3.2.iso
kernel /netrunner/casper/vmlinuz rw file=/cdrom/preseed/netrunner.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/netrunner-3.2.iso noeject noprompt quiet splash --
initrd /netrunner/casper/initrd.lz

Netrunner is a Kubuntu only in fancy dresses. it is exactly same
as Kubuntu as I get it and I have tested with Ubuntu 11.10
and LinuxMint 11 and Bodhi and Peppermint that is a Lubuntu
but changed enough for them to see it as separate but still
so much Ubuntu that it works in same code and many many other
ubuntus. Almost all ubuntu works with that code.

I trust that none of the Debian works. Them are looking for some file.
that them never find but ubuntu either finds it or do not care.

I mean Ubuntu is famous for not allowing root. Them almost hate
root behavior.

But still this boot code allow ubuntu to be almost as usable as Puppy.

Just now I don't remember a thing that it did not allow me to do.

I don't even need to use sudo apart from when I do reboot from
Terminal then it says I need to be sudo. But I can load a text file
and edit it on the NTFS that I booted from and then save it back.

Neither Pussy nor Linux Mint Debian Edition but the ubuntu edition
of LM allow me to.

I mean there has to be something very special about Debian them
setting up big hurdles or "hoops" to jump over or work around.

Why is that?

if this is a huge derail then I'll try to move it. Sorry
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sickgut

#548 Post by sickgut »

ciento wrote:@ sickgut: Any idea how many man-hours the implementation

Hi ciento

A while ago (couple of months after Puppy 5 Lucid was released) i did make an apt-get package for Puppy 5.0. It was a fairly simple affair, there where about 10 .deb packages to install and a little customization. Once the basic apt-get was working, i realised that when you apt-get something it will download all the dependencies even if they are already there in the OS so to apt-get install xaos or some other small program, it would want to install almost the entire OS again. Then i had to manual create the "status" file, that keeps track of what is already installed. After visiting i think it was barry's site i found the package list for Puppy 5.0 and from that i created the "status" file. This was more than 4000 lines of code i had to enter in manually as im not very script literate. It took 2 full days to do, but it worked fine. I uploaded the apt-get package on my site for people to download but it only worked on Puppy 5.0 and also required that the devx be installed. For it to work on other puppies i would have to manually create the status file again. Altho it was a useful tool, apt-get was ultimately a fail.
This is because the puppy kernel is very different from the ubuntu one and whenever the user installed something that requires kernel support, it would break your puppy. This included vlc and other popular programs. There wasnt really much at all that you could apt-get, mostly games and smaller programs. It was quite possible to completely kill your puppy by using the apt-get. Eventually i had an accident on my site and i lost the apt-get package for good.

Pussy came about due to the apt-get fail. The only way to have apt-get on a puppy was to build something from the ground up that natively works with apt-get at its very core.

Pussy is like a reverse Puppy. In order to ensure apt-get working 100%, we have to start with a pure debian base, then customize it enough to look and work like puppy while not breaking debian compatibility. I was hoping to get attention from puppy devs to help me port puppy applications to pussy so it could be a real puppy but that hasnt happend and it looks like pussy is on its own now and will develop as such but will always have the same basic jwm xorg rox-filer desktop as puppy.

sickgut

#549 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:Not sure if it is proper to ask here.
Maybe I have to start a new thread.
Which I most likely already have somewhere???

What is it with Debian and Ubuntu.

Using this code works for Ubuntu but fails for Debian.

title Netrunner 2011 frugal iso boot of netrunner-3.2.iso
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /netrunner-3.2.iso
kernel /netrunner/casper/vmlinuz rw file=/cdrom/preseed/netrunner.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/netrunner-3.2.iso noeject noprompt quiet splash --
initrd /netrunner/casper/initrd.lz

Netrunner is a Kubuntu only in fancy dresses. it is exactly same
as Kubuntu as I get it and I have tested with Ubuntu 11.10
and LinuxMint 11 and Bodhi and Peppermint that is a Lubuntu
but changed enough for them to see it as separate but still
so much Ubuntu that it works in same code and many many other
ubuntus. Almost all ubuntu works with that code.

I trust that none of the Debian works. Them are looking for some file.
that them never find but ubuntu either finds it or do not care.

I mean Ubuntu is famous for not allowing root. Them almost hate
root behavior.

But still this boot code allow ubuntu to be almost as usable as Puppy.

Just now I don't remember a thing that it did not allow me to do.

I don't even need to use sudo apart from when I do reboot from
Terminal then it says I need to be sudo. But I can load a text file
and edit it on the NTFS that I booted from and then save it back.

Neither Pussy nor Linux Mint Debian Edition but the ubuntu edition
of LM allow me to.

I mean there has to be something very special about Debian them
setting up big hurdles or "hoops" to jump over or work around.

Why is that?

if this is a huge derail then I'll try to move it. Sorry
at present debian-live doesnt support booting from iso in grub, also there is a reference to casper in your code. This is an old method that ubuntu still uses but debian live doesnt. The debia-live devs have told me on there irc chan that preparing the debian-live isos to be compatible with booting from grub is quite high on their list and it may quite possibly be fixed in the next version or so.

i think is quite possible to boot the pussy .img version from grub altho i have not tested this myself.

nooby

#550 Post by nooby »

Then I understand why it did not work with LMDE but did work with LM 11
which do have casper.

Can one not reuse a casper and add to the Debian boot? Oops maybe
that is naive though them very iso specific and not general?
Can one not change a boot or live directory into a casper directory?

Edit okay thanks for asking them. Will be intersting to see how them
find a solution then. :)
Last edited by nooby on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

sickgut

#551 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:Then I understand why it did not work with LMDE but did work with LM 11
which do have casper.

Can one not reuse a casper and add to the Debian boot? Oops maybe
that is naive though them very iso specific and not general?
Can one not change a boot or live directory into a casper directory?
as i understand, no you cant use casper setup in debian-live

sickgut

#552 Post by sickgut »

rokytnji wrote:

#Handbrake

Thanks for telling me about handbrake, i have found handbrake-gtk in squeeze in the debian-multimedia repo. Its working fine and i think it will only add about 20mb to the size of the squashfs file it will reside in.

rokytnji

#553 Post by rokytnji »

Thanks for telling me about handbrake, i have found handbrake-gtk in squeeze in the debian-multimedia repo. Its working fine and i think it will only add about 20mb to the size of the squashfs file it will reside in.
While being a Puppy user (I try and learn as I grow older). I am a AntiX die hard user. So a lot of my posts here on this forum come from a Debian perspective. So I am more comfortable using apt-get and aptitude and smxi and inxi and incorporate some of that (like inxi) in my MacPup and Puppy 5.2 and Wolfe installs.

Glad handbrake worked out for you. I am LOOKING WITH INTEREST at Pussy Linux. I admire your work and have recommended your distro on other Linux forums when someone who is a Ubuntu or Debian user but unfamiliar with Puppy Linux wants a apt-get terminal in Puppy Linux.

I wish you all the success with your project. Forgive the pun. I think your distro (in a good way) is "Sick" . When I have the time (I run my own motorcycle shop by myself) I might load up Pussy on another Hardrive and see if I can incorporate H2s smxi script into Pussy as a experiment.
smxi is an interactive script designed to help people maintain their systems. It supports Debian (Stable, Testing, and Sid) and true Debian based distros (such as, but not limited to, AntiX, Aptosid, Epidemic, Linux Mint Debian [LMDE], Mepis). It does not support Ubuntu based distros because there are too many differences between Debian and Ubuntu.
http://smxi.org/site/about.htm

http://smxi.org/docs/smxi-manual.htm

sickgut

#554 Post by sickgut »

@ aarf

i have been able to find the absolute minimum dependency list for the dialup-ppoe package that as reported by you has dependency issues. The problem is that the whole thing needs kernel sources (3 types!! ?? !!) and a list of other stuff which im sure is complete overkill, but dpkg/ apt system wont function without having these dependencies met.

due to the fact that the pussy-xtra squash is being overhauled and all the devx stuff like make/ bison/ gcc/ g++/ kernel headers ..... etc... etc is going to be included in it, and the dialup-pppoe package requires alot of these deps that are going to be installed anyway because of devx needing many of the same..... i have decided to include the dialup-pppoe with the new pussy-xtra.squashfs and this should fix your issues.

This isnt a perfect solution for those of you with dialup and only running the pussy base OS , as to add the complete dialup-pppoe, meeting all dependencies would add about 60mb to the /addons dir in the ISO and therefore will not be included in the base OS, until i manage to work around the sheer disk size of the package.

Its my understanding that the dialup-pppoe actually works, but screws up apt-get/ dpkg system... so to include it in the /addon dir for the base OS .iso im going to have to cheat to keep it at 3.4mb and make it still work while not messing up apt or dpkg. To do this im going to turn the packages .debs into one static bundle and then zip it. The package will be installed simply by clicking on a script that unzips it onto your main / filesystem, and doesnt update the central package management database. This way you can still use a small dialup addon package in the base OS without causing apt or dpkg to have a temper tantrum.

sickgut

#555 Post by sickgut »

building the squash for the new pussy-xtra.squashfs... the size of the new .iso will be approx 660mb. Assaultcube wasnt removed because we had just enough space for it.. but this game will be the first thing to go if and when i figure out how to get virtual box in the squash without breaking it. I have just got to fix some menus then ill upload, will edit this post and supply url when upload is finnished.

saintless

#556 Post by saintless »

sickgut wrote:building the squash for the new pussy-xtra.squashfs... the size of the new .iso will be approx 660mb. Assaultcube wasnt removed because we had just enough space for it.. but this game will be the first thing to go if and when i figure out how to get virtual box in the squash without breaking it. I have just got to fix some menus then ill upload, will edit this post and supply url when upload is finnished.
Thanks, sickgut,
as you wrote programs can be run before you start X with the command (for example):

xinit kxstitch
This is very cool option for low RAM computers like mine. :)
Thanks also for the tutorial in one of yours previous posts about remastering pussy linux. I was trying to do this the wrong way.

Edit: Do you know how many squash files can be used at system start up with numbers in the begining?
I think about making a few separated big ones which I can run only when I need them.
If I manage to make working VBox squash file I will report back.

sickgut

#557 Post by sickgut »

[EDIT] the new iso is ready: http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... -xtra2.iso

Here is the final list of the programs and improvements that the new pussyxtra.squashfs file contains:

Added catroll-panel ----> save-file ------> compressed and normal sections both with instructions. The normal section includes the 1gb example save file from the website and instructions on how to extract it to a drive of your choice and reboot and get save file working. The compressed section includes adequate documentation explaining on what setups the compressed save file will work, and how its saved, backing up old save files, and using gparted to extend the Pussy partition to cover the rest of a HDD or USB stick, so make room for a decent save file. I am satisfied that even a newbie will understand how the save file or compressed save file setup will work, and also that the newbie could actually setup the save file.

Added webcam, fswebcam, camstream, luvcview .. for webcam viewing, snapshot taking and video recording. The idea here is to let everyone test and decide what works best for them, and depending on what one is the best we will remove the others in the next version... that is unless everyone likes having a billion webcam programs.

Added the fixed version of the dialup-pppoe addon package and the zillion or so dependencies it required, also added menu entries into Meow? ---> Pussy ---> applications ---> Network ---> Manager -----> wvdial ..... wvdial autodetect modem... and DSL PPPoE. Thanks to aarf for bringing the dependency problem to my attention... too big to include in the /addon on the iso as an option as it would be more than 60mb, as it needed alot of the compiling devx stuff for some reason, so have included it in this pussyextra.squashfs instead.

handbrake-gtk dvd ripping, openshot video editing, gstreamer, hdparm (commandline hdd performance utility, still only accessed via commandline, no control panel entry yet)..
ace-of=penguins card games, gtkballs connect 5 game, skype, ripperX cdrom audio ripper, FBreader ebook reader and ofcause the build-essential and kernel-headers and sources etc.. make, gcc, g++, bison etc etc similar to Puppy devx but includes more stuff.

a high quality desktop wallpaper when roxfiler background is enabled.

Above are the new improvements... the following is stuff that this suqashfs file already had and still has:

OpenOffice 3.2, Java JRE newest version from Oracle, GIMP, Inkscape full, WINE, DOSemu, assaultcube, cadubi, LMMS, milkytracker, Timidity ++ freepats.

the URL is:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... -xtra2.iso

The older alphas and the previous version of this pussy-betra-preview-xtra.iso will be removed from the site, as there is no need to keep them because the new ones are in every way better. I will also upload the pussyxtra-beta.squashfs separately for you people who want to upgrade their HDD installs by replacing the old version of the file with the new one.

In the next few days i will also be uploading the USB .img version and the experimental .iso that also has linux live usb creator included and lets you create a USB version of Pussy from windows.

im really quite pleased with what we have managed to fit on the live cdrom, this distro is now a complete solution, and other then virtualbox it contains absolutely everything i ever use a computer for. If i can fit virtualbox into the 40mb free space and get it to work, then the next version will have it included.
Last edited by sickgut on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#558 Post by nooby »

I have promised to keep a low profile to not be an annoying stress obstacle something. Hope I don't break that low profile asking this.

I want to test your iso
http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... -xtra2.iso

So what boot code for grub4dos do you suggest is the most likely to get it going?

I have tested so many different now that I lost memory of which one is the best chance to get it to work?

Okay I try all of them until one work. No big deal. I do have time and motivation.

Any suggestion how to get Swedish Keyboard? Not swedish words I mean just the right keyboard.

in Ubuntu I do this setxkbmap se in the terminal but what do I tell in the boot code to produce same result?

sickgut

#559 Post by sickgut »

saintless wrote:If someone wants to add different keyboard-layout before the official beta version is ready, here are the commands:

This one will install other keyboard layouts:

apt-get install keyboards-rg
After that type:

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Follow the instructions and choose your layout. BTW you can choose also to exit X with Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace.
@nooby re: keyboard layouts
please read the above fix from saintless. This option will be added to the catroll-panel in the base OS in the next release, along with experimental install from windows, aswell as other printer/ scanner support and other catroll-panel stuff.

as far as i know. the iso cant be booted directly.

nooby

#560 Post by nooby »

Yes then Swedish will work in that version then. No big deal.
I can do the setxkbmap se easily.

Is the iso uploaded yet?