Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
DaveS

#141 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:Known issues.. damn I cant get the menu icon correct. I specify it correctly in the .desktop file, then the installation process changes it!
In what folder are you putting the icon?
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

MoebusNet

wrong thread

#142 Post by MoebusNet »

EDIT: posted in wrong thread * embarrassed*
Last edited by MoebusNet on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

rcrsn51

#143 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:Known issues.. damn I cant get the menu icon correct. I specify it correctly in the .desktop file, then the installation process changes it!
In what folder are you putting the icon?
I can confirm the problem.

This issue arose in an early Slacko via Woof and patches were made at that time. Look at the file /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh. In Lines 333 and 342, you will see the folders where Puppy looks if it CANNOT find the icon that you specified in the desktop file. If your icon is somewhere else, Puppy should use it instead of searching.

But the code is still broken. Since it doesn't find your icon in either its actual location or in the search paths, it substitutes its own icon.

DaveS

#144 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote: In what folder are you putting the icon?
I can confirm the problem.

This issue arose in an early Slacko via Woof and patches were made at that time. Look at the file /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh. In Lines 333 and 342, you will see the folders where Puppy looks if it CANNOT find the icon that you specified in the desktop file. If your icon is somewhere else, Puppy should use it instead of searching.

But the code is still broken. Since it doesn't find your icon in either its actual location or in the search paths, it substitutes its own icon.
Acting on this I re-specified icon to /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons and fixed it thanks.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#145 Post by rcrsn51 »

There may not be a problem with the code. I looked at my .desktop file and found a space in the "Icon=" line. When I removed it, the menu icon installed correctly.

Does your PET have the same problem?

DaveS

#146 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:There may not be a problem with the code. I looked at my .desktop file and found a space in the "Icon=" line. When I removed it, the menu icon installed correctly.

Does your PET have the same problem?
Unable to confirm as I re-wrote the .desktop file to reflect the new location and uploaded the modified .pet. Possible though :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#147 Post by rcrsn51 »

In the new petget code a line containing a space, like "Icon= /usr/..." will definitely cause a problem. This was not a problem in older versions.

Note to BarryK: False alarm!

Code: Select all

[ -e "$ICON" ]
versus

[ -e $ICON ]

otropogo

#148 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
otropogo wrote:
sh-4.1# ntfsfix /dev/sda5
Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sda5.
sh-4.1#
Was sda5 mounted when you ran the command? Ntfsfix will only work on UNmounted partitions.
Good catch. Thanks. I just tried it again, and got the following results:
ntfsfix /dev/sda5
Mounting volume... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
NTFS volume version is 3.0.
NTFS partition /dev/sda5 was processed successfully.
sh-4.1#
Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I still have two corrupted files, one a now empty 512MB slackosave.2fs from my first attempts running Slacko_3.29.6, and the other an html file more than 2 years old. I have no idea how or when it got corrupted. It's part of a batch that were created together, and I'm sure haven't been viewed for many months. But all were moved late September.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

8-bit

#149 Post by 8-bit »

What would happen if you created a dummy file with the same name, saved it and then tried copying it to that NTFS partition.
I normally get a popup that says that filename exists and do I want to overwrite it. Say yes and then delete the resulting file.

It may be worth a try.

rcrsn51

#150 Post by rcrsn51 »

Or open a terminal window where the file lives and try to delete it with a wild card. If the first character in the name was "a", use

rm a*
Be careful what other files this would delete at the same time.

KRuCi8L3

Re: Slacko Puppy 5.3

#151 Post by KRuCi8L3 »

01micko wrote: Please report anything good or bad.
Thank you.
<slightly OT>
OK, a brief intro if I may? I am new to forum, not new to linux (although have not used it for quite a while due to NO PC).
Firstly, I wish to thank ALL puppy users and devs. I love it, and have for some time! It is a truly powerful tool and useful for many forms of production. A truly heartfelt thanks to you all.
</slightly OT>

System:
Asus A42Jv laptop with Optimus/Intel/nVidia/Cuda hybrid (had I only known the grief that would come my way :?), Intel iCore5, 4gb ram, latest bios (interesting story there) etc.

Initial Notes:
Live CD Slacko 5.3 booted fine and detected proper lcd rez. All smiles as I had nothing but grief with Wary (my fault as I was too eager to get back to Puppy and try to learn Linux and maybe some basic programming again to read the fine print which clearly stated Wary is aimed at older HW.)

Alsa sound surprisingly enough worked OOTB and retrovol gave a host of output options which I have as yet not touched.

Initial Heavy Encryption, ext2 savefile to 2+gb partition (ext4) of a 4gb usb flashdisk seemed to go well. Reboot and loading that savefile did not.

As I am quite the noob at linux "command line", I wrote down the error particulars:
Kernel panic Not syncing Attempted to kill init!
Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.37.6 #1
<Call Trace>
[<c12a2988>] ? panic + 0x4d/0x130
[<c1029179>] ? do_exit + 0x5a/0x59d
[<c1029868>] ? do_group_exit + 0x0/0x7b
[<c12a48a5>] ? syscall_call + 0x7/0xb
</Call Trace>

This left me at a blinking pipe symbol and no use of the machine so a hard shutdown was my only choice.

Any ideas? Obviously I did something wrong. Will my initial savefile be useable or not?

<slightly OT#2>
I cannot get ANY SFS dev file in any Puppy version to give me usage of MAKE. I googled and searched this and other forums but seemed to come up with only code snippets using make but no instructions on how to "install" or call make. I thought I remembered reading that all you had to do was mount the sfs and bash away to one's heart's content. I have several small bash and python sample bins/utils I hope to actually be able to use soon, so any tips here would be greatly appreciated. Initial tries at gcc does work a bit although I get constant errors and have only been able to either "configure" or read the help. :evil:
</slightly OT#2>

Tx for any help in finding the solution to the savefile problem. Apologies for any typos as this is my first ever laptop and I am a die hard hunt and peck, full sized keyboard typist.
Last edited by KRuCi8L3 on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#152 Post by gcmartin »

KRuCi8L3 wrote: ...Any ideas? Obviously I did something wrong. Will my initial savefile be useable or not? ...
Hi and welcome to Puppyland.

I just tested a similar laptop over the weekend. BUT, I did something a little different.
  1. I booted the LiveDVD (this was created as a multi-session media when burning the ISO.
  2. Tailored couple of apps for the owner
  3. Created a 4GB SWAP (to match RAM size) partition
  4. And showed them how to save the work (session) back to the LIve media by answering correctly ("Save to CD") at shutdown/reboot. (This fascinated them, for, they never knew a PC could be run totally from a DVD....totally.)
Should you want to repeat what I did, I would strongly encourage you to delete the "Save session" you have, currently, on your hard drive. (Puppies are very particular about what they find on your HDDs/USBs at boot time.)

This may work flawlessly for you as well.

Hope this helps

8-bit

#153 Post by 8-bit »

As to your not being able to use "make", download the devx SFS file for Slacko 5.3 and the kernel source SFS file.
Be sure to save them to /mnt/home as your pupsave file can overflow really fast otherwise.

You can then use SFS-load-on-the-fly in the menu to load them.
After that, typing "make" or "gcc" from the command line should work.
And if you are trying to compile something, open the terminal in the directory containing the source for that application.

otropogo

#154 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:Or open a terminal window where the file lives and try to delete it with a wild card. If the first character in the name was "a", use

rm a*
Be careful what other files this would delete at the same time.
sh-4.1# rm sl*ckosave-x19
rm: cannot remove `sl*ckosave-x19': No such file or directory
sh-4.1# rm Zoomer_Rewards*
rm: cannot remove `Zoomer_Rewards_a.rá\207\214f': No such file or directory
sh-4.1#

otropogo

#155 Post by otropogo »

8-bit wrote:What would happen if you created a dummy file with the same name, saved it and then tried copying it to that NTFS partition.
I normally get a popup that says that filename exists and do I want to overwrite it. Say yes and then delete the resulting file.

It may be worth a try.
In ROX the corrupted character is replaced by a single character, a domino for the rtf file, a rectangle with an X in it for the "a" in Slacko. In the Abiword file navigator, the corrupted character is represented by an "a" with an accent on it (forward slash) followed by two dominos (rectangles containing four dots) in both filenames.

I created a new rtf file with Abiword with the same name, and tried to save it to the same directory as the corrupted file. The result was a popup that says:
Writing error when attempting to save the file:///mnt/sda5/Zoomer_Rewards_a.rtf

I repeated it, just to make sure I hadn't done anything improperly.

zulhilmi

libreoffice

#156 Post by zulhilmi »

i tried to install this office software in slacko 5.3 without success....

KRuCi8L3

#157 Post by KRuCi8L3 »

First, thank you very much for the advice.
[quote="gcmartin"]
this was created as a multi-session media when burning the ISO.
[/quote="gcmartin"]

The problem I see with multi-session rw disc is that anyone can write to it, or call a script at shutdown to "add something" to the disc or savefile. That's why my goal was to create an "uncorruptible" save which I could revert to the moment problems arise and start from scratch again. I don't want to marry the os, I just want to use it as a tool and then wipe it off and put it away. My initial thinking was to simply boot that savefile one time, then back it up to other media (cdr), as the successful bootup would be proof of (at least) initial usability. But since it would not load that save, I am stuck with a hesitant "redo".

[quote="gcmartin"]
Tailored couple of apps for the owner[/quote="gcmartin"]

One thing I did not mention before was that the goal is to implement some newish Linux version with compatibility with my HW to create a highly mobile and "foolproof" usb or mini cd based desktop environment that will load a specific set of progs/data and have the ability to save on the fly. I am still very much in study mode, but that is the end goal.
Said another way, I simply want to get ONE stable linux os setup and working the way I want it to then KEEP it that way to MAXIMIZE productivity and stop chasing my tail. Caveat, I tend to enjoy tail/goose chasing from time to time. The other goal is to learn to dev, so that I can create/tinker with some apps I think will be very useful in my line of work.

[quote="gcmartin"]
[*]Created a 4GB SWAP (to match RAM size) partition [/quote="gcmartin"]

So the swap should match the available ram? OK,
when I get back on that project I will check it out. I do have a dedicated linux swap on the HD but am not sure of the size at
the moment.
[quote="gcmartin"]
[*]And showed them how to save the work (session) back to the LIve media by answering correctly ("Save to CD") at shutdown/reboot.[/quote="gcmartin"]
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? ;)
But my save was on a USB. I followed the advice to heavily encrypt in the pupsave dialog box, but something went awry somewhere... Looking at the TRACE data, I suspect something to do with this version and ACPI not seeing bit to bit, but that is just a guess. I tried earlier Wary versions with and without ACPI and always had problems no matter what. Now that I think of it, this sounds like a classic faulty ram scenario, hmmm. I will be taking it to be serviced soon as the W7 (forgive my weakness o Lord) that came on the pc has been corrupted beyond recognition. And, as I question its "genuine-osity", I do hope to resolve the problems with puppy sufficiently so as to be able to bid a final and total farewell salute to all MS bloatware.

[quote="gcmartin"]
* I would strongly encourage you to delete the "Save session" you have, currently, on your hard drive. (Puppies are very particular about what they find on your HDDs/USBs at boot time.)[/quote="gcmartin"]

Are they? I've had and still have several differing versions of puppy savefiles all in the same partition and have been booting from cd with nary a savefile related issue before. Also, all of those saves are over the suggested size limit (1.8/2gb???).
Your reasoning? If it saved the save file ok, then during the load/init it obviously bypassed that point ok, why should the savefile be corrupt? I still think it is something else HW, FS, or procedural related. Keep in mind it is an el cheapo laptop with delusions of grandeur (imo). On an aside, the bios was also recently "corrupted" by the simple fact that I had both a system pwd and a user pwd set up at the same time (I was tired). Presto chango and one reboot later, every usable option in the bios was grayed out. I searched literally for two weeks for any clues as to why, with no success and heaps of outdated info none of which shed any light on a possible solution. When I say grayed out I mean it, the F9, Load optimized defaults was also incapacitated. As I could not reset defaults and could not flash the bios (due to it having the latest one already and the flash util would not allow a retrograde) I was temporarily stymied. Finally, I put the brakes on my racing brain, took a deep breath, let it out, and voila, there was the answer in the winflash app error msg (hint: dates can be changed with a simple hex edit). One quick edit and voila, new, usable bios (there's a peculiar fact about that event which may be interesting to some, but as this "saga-like" post has probably already stepped on a few toes, I'll digress.

[quote="gcmartin"]
This may work flawlessly for you as well. [/quote="gcmartin"]
I can dream can't I? Thanks so much for the tips. I'll give it a shot this weekend when time should be my own again. One final thought-how's the hybrid graphics working on that system there? Any tips on step-by-step setup so I can disable the Intel onboard that you could PM to me? Pretty please!

KRuCi8L3

#158 Post by KRuCi8L3 »

8-bit wrote:As to your not being able to use "make", download the devx SFS file for Slacko 5.3 and the kernel source SFS file.
Be sure to save them to /mnt/home as your pupsave file can overflow really fast otherwise.

You can then use SFS-load-on-the-fly in the menu to load them. After that, typing "make" or "gcc" from the command line should work. And if you are trying to compile something, open the terminal in the directory containing the source for that application.
Sage advice 8bit. Thank you. I thought I had done just that. I know I was opening the console through rox that way. So where can the source sfs be procured? I don't remember my kernel version atm, but it is quite recent. Anyway I don't have a krnl src sfs and have not read of that requirement anywhere before. Is there a noob sticky I missed somewhere? I got the slacko-5.3-MAIN and the matching dev sfs, added the dev sfs to the main iso (a kludge??) and made the boot disc to simply look under the hood and see if my HW would freak out/balk in the face of slacko (or vice-versa would be more accurate).
Aha! So you have to load the dev sfs via the util? I can't just click on the dev sfs to load it and have it usable as I am sure I remember reading on Mr. Kauler's blog page on compiling somewhere (at least I think I'm sure, maybe, kinda)?

bigpup

#159 Post by bigpup »

KRuCi8L3,

I suggest you spend a little more time learning how Puppy works before trying to do anything.
There is a learning curve we all had to deal with.
The first topics, in the beginners section of the forum, have a lot of information.

About the save file problem.
You said you used heavy encryption option to make it.
That could be the problem. Encryption of save files is a very old option and from posts I have read, I do not think it works well anymore with the newer versions of Puppy.
I would delete the old save file and make a new one, but do not use encryption option.

Also, when using an install of Puppy that uses a save file. Best to make the save file first before installing any other programs.
When Puppy is rebooted, now using the save file, make the changes and additions.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Stripe

#160 Post by Stripe »

hi all

trying to run a program I compiled in slacko 5.3 PAE and get the following error when trying to start the gui from terminal.

# zenmap
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/zenmap", line 94, in <module>
import zenmapGUI.App
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/zenmapGUI/App.py", line 116, in <module>
import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk
#

I read it as a gtk module is not installed, (but which one ??)
and I thought gtk was installed as standard and when I compiled the program it never asked for gtk as a dependancy
Is it a slacko fault ? or am I missing something ?

cheers

Don

edited to add: have compiled and ran it in lucid 528 without problem (if that helps :lol: )
:D Testing PuppyPhone version 1.3PRE :D