Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 14:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Slacko Puppy 5.3.1
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 37 [551 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
otropogo

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 04:42    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:

Gparted has a check option, in the right click menu, when you right click on a unmounted partition.
It will run a check and repair if needed.
Not knowing what version of Gparted you used, I would go for the latest version.
Get it here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php?alles=alles

Thanks. Is there a pet for it? My experience in manually installing linux apps is zilch. And in fact, I haven't been doing well even with pets.

If you are running only Linux operating systems, why use NTFS or fat32 to begin with? Use Linux formats that Linux is designed to use.

Probably because more reliable reference material is available for problems with Windows file systems. In my experience, Linux documentation is extremely poorly maintained, and ofter dangerously misleading.

Quote:
One thing you have seen and indicated by your previous posts is leftover old files can and does cause problems.

Well, I've been using a lot of different Puppy versions lately. Slacko_5.2.9 distinguished itself primarily by providing native support for USB3 in Puppy. I wasn't going to dump it until I knew there was something better, because the difference in throughput is huge. I only discovered Slacko_5.3 today, and had never experienced this problem with any previous version of Puppy. For instance, I've never had a Puppy 4.2x sfs interfere with a Puppy 4.3.1. They've always co-exited on my hard drives without issue.

Quote:
Consider the possibility of hard drive, connector cables, or memory going bad.
All would cause these problems.

Sure, but when you have one OS that crashes, freezes and/or corrupts data every time, and three others that never have an issue, with the same hardware, I think it's safe to say it's not a hardware issue.

Quote:
Hard drives can be checked using manufacturers tools available for download at their web sites.

Memory can be checked using program Memtest86.
Free self bootable program found on internet.

Sure, and I've got all these programs several times over, one more than one rescue CD. I very rarely have any cause to use them, and frankly, many of these programs are not that reassuring. Memtest86 is one I particularly dislike. It used to lock up Puppy 2.13 Retro for me every time.

Quote:
given the fact that I can't even view the partition in Windows, I decided instead to let Gparted have a go at it. I let it delete the partition, then recreat it as an extended file (as primary, it didn't give me any format options except ext2) in fat32 format.

Quote:
This tells me you are doing something wrong in how you run Gparted. Should not be seeing this.

Gee. And what could I be doing wrong? There aren't a lot of options in Gparted as presented in Puppy.

Quote:
Windows is able to see up to 4 primary partitions.
Or 3 primary partitions.
With one extended partition with any number of logical partitions inside it.
Anything above 4 you do with logical partitions inside extended partition.

Example:

Well, I did find when installing the newly formatted partition in Windows a second time that Windows still doesn't see anything except a formatted hard drive, which it calls "C". It looks like I'll have to Fdisk and repartition the entire drive.

chrismt

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 06:57    Post subject:  

I can't get the Skype SFS file via the SlickPet. Some size error.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 08:01    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:

Quote:
sh-4.1# ntfsfix /dev/sda5
Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sda5.
sh-4.1#

Was sda5 mounted when you ran the command? Ntfsfix will only work on UNmounted partitions.
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 15:09    Post subject:  

I built a .pet for the lovely Goggles Music Manager

It includes all deps, including Xine. Just a click and go install.

Known issues.. damn I cant get the menu icon correct. I specify it correctly in the .desktop file, then the installation process changes it! [fixed..see below posts]
I have only included the icons Goggles uses, to keep thye size down, but I could not find the icon for Internet Radio! Got tired trying Smile

Download from here: http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/goggles/

password puppy
username linux

16M installed because of the deps, but if anyone wants an sfs, just say.

This .pet is Slacko specific, not suitable for other Pups.

Last edited by DaveS on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 16:49; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 15:41    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
Known issues.. damn I cant get the menu icon correct. I specify it correctly in the .desktop file, then the installation process changes it!

In what folder are you putting the icon?
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 15:52    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Known issues.. damn I cant get the menu icon correct. I specify it correctly in the .desktop file, then the installation process changes it!

/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps

MoebusNet

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 15:55    Post subject: wrong thread  

EDIT: posted in wrong thread * embarrassed*

Last edited by MoebusNet on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:51; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 16:14    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:

I can confirm the problem.

This issue arose in an early Slacko via Woof and patches were made at that time. Look at the file /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh. In Lines 333 and 342, you will see the folders where Puppy looks if it CANNOT find the icon that you specified in the desktop file. If your icon is somewhere else, Puppy should use it instead of searching.

But the code is still broken. Since it doesn't find your icon in either its actual location or in the search paths, it substitutes its own icon.
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 16:31    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:

I can confirm the problem.

This issue arose in an early Slacko via Woof and patches were made at that time. Look at the file /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh. In Lines 333 and 342, you will see the folders where Puppy looks if it CANNOT find the icon that you specified in the desktop file. If your icon is somewhere else, Puppy should use it instead of searching.

But the code is still broken. Since it doesn't find your icon in either its actual location or in the search paths, it substitutes its own icon.

Acting on this I re-specified icon to /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons and fixed it thanks.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 16:37    Post subject:  

There may not be a problem with the code. I looked at my .desktop file and found a space in the "Icon=" line. When I removed it, the menu icon installed correctly.

Does your PET have the same problem?
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 16:43    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
There may not be a problem with the code. I looked at my .desktop file and found a space in the "Icon=" line. When I removed it, the menu icon installed correctly.

Does your PET have the same problem?

Unable to confirm as I re-wrote the .desktop file to reflect the new location and uploaded the modified .pet. Possible though Sad

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 16:59    Post subject:  

In the new petget code a line containing a space, like "Icon= /usr/..." will definitely cause a problem. This was not a problem in older versions.

Note to BarryK: False alarm!
Code:
[ -e "$ICON" ]

versus
Code:
[ -e $ICON ]
otropogo

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 23:22    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
otropogo wrote:

Quote:
sh-4.1# ntfsfix /dev/sda5
Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sda5.
sh-4.1#

Was sda5 mounted when you ran the command? Ntfsfix will only work on UNmounted partitions.

Good catch. Thanks. I just tried it again, and got the following results:

Quote:
ntfsfix /dev/sda5
Mounting volume... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
NTFS volume version is 3.0.
NTFS partition /dev/sda5 was processed successfully.
sh-4.1#

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I still have two corrupted files, one a now empty 512MB slackosave.2fs from my first attempts running Slacko_3.29.6, and the other an html file more than 2 years old. I have no idea how or when it got corrupted. It's part of a batch that were created together, and I'm sure haven't been viewed for many months. But all were moved late September.

8-bit

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov 2011, 03:36    Post subject:  

What would happen if you created a dummy file with the same name, saved it and then tried copying it to that NTFS partition.
I normally get a popup that says that filename exists and do I want to overwrite it. Say yes and then delete the resulting file.

It may be worth a try.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov 2011, 08:05    Post subject:  

Or open a terminal window where the file lives and try to delete it with a wild card. If the first character in the name was "a", use
Code:
rm a*

Be careful what other files this would delete at the same time.
Page 10 of 37 [551 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: