Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stu90

#1281 Post by stu90 »

Was reading the linux mint review on distro watch today and saw a screen shot of its package manager - i quite liked to look so though maybe something similar looking could be done on Puppy.
Just a bit of fun really here is first go - very basic in functionality and for puppy packages only ( the whole dependency resolving is way beyond me) the repo/server needs to be changed manuallyand no filtering, search or uninstall - did i say it was basic already :lol:

Attachments
ppack-0.1.pet
(40.17 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

picatrix

Problems on 5.X.9 dvb-t

#1282 Post by picatrix »

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a couple of problems with Exprimo 5.x.9 on a frugal usb stick installation with an Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 receiver:

1) on shutdown/reboot /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 gets corrupted:

Code: Select all

Nov  2 18:17:54 puppypc1969 user.err kernel: aufs au_lkup_dentry:273:rdev[6381]: I/O Error, both of real entry and whiteout found, dvr0, err -5
Nov  2 18:17:54 puppypc1969 user.err kernel: aufs au_lkup_dentry:273:rdev[6396]: I/O Error, both of real entry and whiteout found, dvr0, err -5
2) Gnome Mplayer randomly repeatly crashes:

Code: Select all

Nov  2 18:21:00 puppypc1969 user.info kernel: gnome-mplayer[10252]: segfault at 8 ip b6da17e1 sp bfb23eb4 error 4 in libc-2.11.2.so[b6c9c000+13e000]
Nov  2 18:21:24 puppypc1969 user.info kernel: gnome-mplayer[10724]: segfault at 8 ip b6b9f45b sp bff09570 error 4 in libc-2.11.2.so[b6b44000+13e000]
Nov  2 18:24:03 puppypc1969 user.info kernel: gnome-mplayer[12866]: segfault at 8 ip b6cf945b sp bfef9790 error 4 in libc-2.11.2.so[b6c9e000+13e000]
Nov  2 18:24:35 puppypc1969 user.info kernel: gnome-mplayer[13764]: segfault at 19000008 ip b6c6d45b sp bf9f96b0 error 4 in libc-2.11.2.so[b6c12000+13e000]
Any help apreciated

All the best
Picatrix

pemasu

#1283 Post by pemasu »

stu90. Nice looking :D gui package manager. It looks worthy for testing. I will give it a go soon. Right now I am compiling 3.0.8 kernel and processing packages same time. Probably will lead to the disaster but, hey it is fun...
Thanks stu90.

pemasu

#1284 Post by pemasu »

Picatrix.
gnome-mplayer[13764]: segfault at 19000008 ip b6c6d45b sp bf9f96b0 error 4 in libc-2.11.2.so
I have seen this error also. I got it when I tested 3.0.7 kernel. Well, it had other problems also, lol.
But...I think that the problem arises from the gnome-mplayer version I used. I suppose best way to get rid of the crash and incompatiblity with used glibc (hopefully)....is to compile in dpup newer gnome-mplayer when it arrives. Soon....I hope. And cross the fingers. There is Umplayer sfs in Exprimo repo if I remember right. Use sfs downloader app to download sfs and load it with sfs_load. It might work better.

About your DVB tuner problem. I cant help you much with it.

picatrix

#1285 Post by picatrix »

Thanks Pemasu, :D
Umplayer works great with dvb!!!

I'll try another dvb-t stick to try to solve dvr0 problem!

All the best
Picatrix

stu90

#1286 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:stu90. Nice looking :D gui package manager. It looks worthy for testing. I will give it a go soon. Right now I am compiling 3.0.8 kernel and processing packages same time. Probably will lead to the disaster but, hey it is fun...
Thanks stu90.
3.0.8 cool i look forward to testing 8)

Update of Ppack to v0.2 - added repository switching. ( see /usr/local/ppack/script/repo-list file for add/remove repos )

Edit: Update of Ppack to v0.3 - added search for .pet in repository option.

cheers.
Attachments
ppack-0.3.pet
(40.77 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
ppack-0.2.pet
(40.54 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

rox-filer headers

#1287 Post by Béèm »

rox-filer headers
I don't know from when one can move around headers in a rox-filer window.
Very nice. Is this an Exprimo exclusive?

But a re-positioning of the headers don't stick on a next instance.
I didn't see a way in the options to make such a change permanent.

Is this possible?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#1288 Post by pemasu »

Beem. It needs special compile of ROX-Filer binary to have that effect. There is a thread, recently posted where is several compiles of this special column headers dragging and position changing.

I dont remember atm, where that thread is. Technosaurus was the compiler for smallest special compile of ROX-Filer.

But that special Rox binary hangs in /proc folder after you have created the savefile. That is bad.

The bug consists of latest Rox versions.

So...the result is not as stable as I would like it to be. Karl Godt is the one who has tried to create special Rox without /proc hanging. Lets see.....

About that permanency. I dont know if there is a way to get it stick when you have made changes. This special compile is just something I wanted to test.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1289 Post by Béèm »

Thank you pemasu for the explanation.
In any case a nice step in the good direction for ROX.
Time savers:

pemasu

#1290 Post by pemasu »

Hah. My son makes me to test new things. He told me that he does not want to listen music from net stations. He wants to use Spotify. So...I hunted down linux qt app version ( spotify-client-qt_0.6.2.291.gcccc1f5.116-1_i386.deb ) and it worked oob in Polarpup with its inbuild Qt libs. So...next I will install Polarpup to his box with Spotify.

3.0.8 kernel with latest woof and using all the Iguleders replacing packages he compiled and posted the link. I still have problems with intel graphics, net drivers does not autoload and I cant get sound working. Mixer not found. I had same problem with Snowpuppy and udev upgrade fixed it. I wonder if the newer udev I use now (from Igulders udev package) might be the reason.
I will test the kernel next with woof I used to build 5.X.9.

dmidecode pet installs binaries to the /usr/local/sbin folder. Path needs update for that location or the pet needs to be recreated with usual /usr/sbin location.
Just note for Iguleder.

pemasu

#1291 Post by pemasu »

Sound started to work. I removed manually all udev-174.pet installed files and then installed udev_167p-167-patched_t2-i486.pet. I then did modprobe snd-hda-intel and voila, previously seqfaulted retrovol_tray launched. Sound works now. It was udev prob after all...!!!

soundNICK

#1292 Post by soundNICK »

pemasu - sorry to hear about your sound troubles... for me,
EVERYTHING is working in eXprimo5x9... one or two apps still to work
out, but it is s-ooooo solid... nothing breaks... none of my old pets
complain when installed. Everything an experienced user could ask
for, and I didnt even ask :-)

If it wasnt so totally innovative and different I would recommend
it for the next puppy... but then, you already had finlander
named in your honor so congrats for that !

EDIT: after some further look at eXprimo I would say it is very
close to being user friendly... I say this with the following reservation...
because for me, it was the enlightenment default which caused the
most slow downs... why not ship it with JWM as default, and keep
e2 as alternative ? I really dont think e2 is useable as it is.

thanks again for building this distro !!

soundNICK

pemasu

#1293 Post by pemasu »

I think that 5.X.9 comes with JWM as default. Because of some graphics driver incompatibilities I changed JWM as default, especially after new JWM version update.

Béèm

#1294 Post by Béèm »

Indeed. 5.X.9 comes to the JWM desktop.
To have e17 wmswitcher can be used.
Time savers:

Iguleder

#1295 Post by Iguleder »

pemasu - I'm working on more build scripts and doing my first dpup build with the PETs I uploaded.

I'll do my best to destroy all bugs I find - this time I promise to update the repo :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

soundNICK

oops

#1296 Post by soundNICK »

pemasu wrote:I think that 5.X.9 comes with JWM as default. Because of some graphics driver incompatibilities I changed JWM as default, especially after new JWM version update.

Pemasu and Beem... ah thanks for clearing this up for me... somehow I was
using 5x8... just checked file I had... dont know how I got it instead.

Well, good JWM is default in latest... downloading 5x9 now, thanks again

soundNICK

soundNICK

xPrimo 5x8 / 5x9 differences ?

#1297 Post by soundNICK »

OK_ tried 5.x.9... finally got it to load... and now I have a question...
is the "SCSI" designation in this filename referring to equipment it works
best with ? (Exprimo-dpup-SCSI <-- like that).

I had Lots of problems with this version_ no more old pets are working...
freezes at boot screen where savefile i s selected to load... there I get
blinking cursor, but cant enter number... number doesnt register on
monitor, like number pad is disabled.

I did get 5.x.9 loaded, and made savefile... but, to fix boot problem had
to move all old xPrimo files to remote, then 5.x.9 savefile does boot, as it is
the only instance..

If it helps, I am using a desktop computer.... maybe 5.x.9 is special version for USB
or notebook or other ?

hope you can answer what the differences in versions is... different
kernel maybe ? So many changes for my use.

soundNICK

pemasu

#1298 Post by pemasu »

Soundnick. 5X9 uses same kernel as 5X8. Only difference is that it uses newer woof and so initial booting initrd.gz probably has somewhat different init script. I know that Barry K has improved things...usually every woof has something altered.

SCSI means that during woof build scsi drivers are not dropped out. In fact I dropped out only old phone line modem firmwares and not needed stuff. Almost everything has been included. As always.

About difficulties. I have now installed 5X9 to quad core intel i5 laptop, dual core AMD Turion laptop, P4 desktop, I have used several savefiles for same install, I have several 5X versions in their own folders, I havent had any problems.

I use only grub4dos and grldr installed in first partition, I have used ext3 and ntfs as filesystem in that first partition, puplets are installed in ext4 or ext3 partition, in their own folders as frugal installation. Savefiles are inside those folders with according puppy.sfs, vmlinuz and initrd.gz. I havent had ever problem with booting with them. Usb booting with these newer kernels had problem. Barry K responded to our findings and fixed the init script, also compiling all the usb drivers as in, not as modules is solution also.

5X9 has been the release, with I have tested several different installations, I havent experienced any problems.

So...I really dont know what was the problem with your installation.
Anyway, we move forward all the time. I use the latest released woof, things will be improved, next release might be better....or worse.....lol.

soundNICK

#1299 Post by soundNICK »

pemasu wrote:Soundnick. 5X9 uses same kernel as 5X8. Only difference is that it uses newer woof and so initial booting initrd.gz probably has somewhat different init script. I know that Barry K has improved things...usually every woof has something altered.

SCSI means that during woof build scsi drivers are not dropped out. In fact I dropped out only old phone line modem firmwares and not needed stuff. Almost everything has been included. As always.

About difficulties. I have now installed 5X9 to quad core intel i5 laptop, dual core AMD Turion laptop, P4 desktop, I have used several savefiles for same install, I have several 5X versions in their own folders, I havent had any problems.

I use only grub4dos and grldr installed in first partition, I have used ext3 and ntfs as filesystem in that first partition, puplets are installed in ext4 or ext3 partition, in their own folders as frugal installation. Savefiles are inside those folders with according puppy.sfs, vmlinuz and initrd.gz. I havent had ever problem with booting with them. Usb booting with these newer kernels had problem. Barry K responded to our findings and fixed the init script, also compiling all the usb drivers as in, not as modules is solution also.

5X9 has been the release, with I have tested several different installations, I havent experienced any problems.

So...I really dont know what was the problem with your installation.
Anyway, we move forward all the time. I use the latest released woof, things will be improved, next release might be better....or worse.....lol.
Pemasu - ah great_ thanks for your excellent answer. I use these words...
kernel / so forth... not knowing what they are... but... top quality answer
from you tells me I must have asked something sensible(!). If it works for
you, cant ask any more... glad there is this solid distro [ 5.x.8 ] for me.

now I ask important question (hope you see next post)

regards

soundNICK
Last edited by soundNICK on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

soundNICK

suggested feature for next versions

#1300 Post by soundNICK »

soundNICK wrote:[quote=
...now I ask important question (hope you see /this/ post)

pemasu - just thought of this last night... you will like it maybe !

here is the idea... based on what I see with 5.x.8/9 desktops_ where
you can pick e2 /or/ JWM_ maybe you could add a function to
wmswitcher so its possible to add multiple instances of JWM... such as
JWM-1 / JWM-2 /... to pick from the list.
You could add as many as needed, and have completely different
desktops to work with.
I see this functionality now with my e2/JWM... that is, when I switch
from one to the other one, icons on first desktop no longer show up in
the other... so, this idea already works, except there is just one JWM
available.
To me, this would be great for any app... say, maybe you like Gimp...
and you want to keep 5 or 10 gimp only files on a working desktop... so...
you make JWM-2 with just a gimp icon, and, all these associated files,
and then could switch to that when you want to work on gimp.
Of course, it would work for any application.

it might be there is only one JWM config file or one e2 config file, and this
idea wouldnt actually work... you would know better.

soundNICK