DaveS

#121 Post by DaveS »

Is there a goggles package for Slacko?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

otropogo

runs fine fresh, crashes every time with 2sf or 3sf savefile

#122 Post by otropogo »

Have just downloaded and burned Slacko_5.3-Main.

I verified the iso with md5sum. I burned with burniso2cd a 4x speed and verified the burn. I then rebooted without touching the CD on my
Intel D865GLC desktop system.

Everything I tried worked, including my 3TB Goflex drive partitioned down to 2TB ntfs (on the USB2 port), which mounted without errors, and to which I was able to write without issues.

Display was good at the probe-suggested resolution of 1024x768, and also at my prefered 1600x1200. I was able to use the wallpaper manager and insert my prefered Puppy 4.0 image. And the pmount preferences tab worked normally.

Internet autoconfigured, and Seamonkey worked, as did the firewall. I made the personal configuration adjustments, and then rebooted, choosing an unencrypted 2fs 512MB savefile on a fat32 partition, and allowing the sfs file to be written to the hdd.

When the system rebooted, I got the following frozen display:
Loading personal file /slackosave_y01.2fs (sdb2)
Loading the 'puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs' main file...copying to ram
Performing a 'switch _root' to the layered filesystem...Kernel panic-not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Pid: 1,comm: switch root Not tainted 2.6.37.6 #1
Call Trace:
[<c12a2998>]? panic+0x4d/0x130
[<c1029179>]? do_exit+0x5a/0x59d
[<c1029868>]? do_group_exit+0x0/0x7b
[<c12a48a5>]? syscall_call+0x7/0xb
The keyboard was locked with flashing LEDs, CTL-ALT-DEL nonfunctional, and I had to hard reset.

I rebooted with pfix=ram, everything worked well again, and this time I left the display resolution at the original 1024x768, increased the savefile size to 1GB, and placed it on another fat32 partition on a different hard drive (sda3).

rebooting with this savefile produced exactly the same results as with the previous one.

Finally, I tried rebooting with the 32MB 2fs savefile previously created by slacko 5.29.6, it also failed with the same text display, except that the test was preceded by the lines:
EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2-lookup: deleted inode referenced: 2xx
An attempt to boot with the 5.29.6 3fs file also failed. So far I've booted the LiveCD three times fresh, and each boot ran without a hitch. I've booted it four times using a slacko savefile, and each of those attempts locked up the system. I haven't removed the CD from the drive yet, and the attempts were interspersed, so a scratch can't explain the differing results, nor can a corruption of the iso.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately your effort and mine are useless to me as things stand.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

otropogo

runs fine fresh, crashes every time with 2sf or 3sf savefile

#123 Post by otropogo »

Have just downloaded and burned Slacko_5.3-Main.

I verified the iso with md5sum. I burned with burniso2cd a 4x speed and verified the burn. I then rebooted without touching the CD on my
Intel D865GLC desktop system.

Everything I tried worked, including my 3TB Goflex drive partitioned down to 2TB ntfs (on the USB2 port), which mounted without errors, and to which I was able to write without issues.

Display was good at the probe-suggested resolution of 1024x768, and also at my prefered 1600x1200. I was able to use the wallpaper manager and insert my prefered Puppy 4.0 image. And the pmount preferences tab worked normally.

Internet autoconfigured, and Seamonkey worked, as did the firewall. I made the personal configuration adjustments, and then rebooted, choosing an unencrypted 2fs 512MB savefile on a fat32 partition, and allowing the sfs file to be written to the hdd.

When the system rebooted, I got the following frozen display:
Loading personal file /slackosave_y01.2fs (sdb2)
Loading the 'puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs' main file...copying to ram
Performing a 'switch _root' to the layered filesystem...Kernel panic-not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Pid: 1,comm: switch root Not tainted 2.6.37.6 #1
Call Trace:
[<c12a2998>]? panic+0x4d/0x130
[<c1029179>]? do_exit+0x5a/0x59d
[<c1029868>]? do_group_exit+0x0/0x7b
[<c12a48a5>]? syscall_call+0x7/0xb
The keyboard was locked with flashing LEDs, CTL-ALT-DEL nonfunctional, and I had to hard reset.

I rebooted with pfix=ram, everything worked well again, and this time I left the display resolution at the original 1024x768, increased the savefile size to 1GB, and placed it on another fat32 partition on a different hard drive (sda3).

rebooting with this savefile produced exactly the same results as with the previous one.

Finally, I tried rebooting with the 32MB 2fs savefile previously created by slacko 5.29.6, it also failed with the same text display, except that the above-cited text was preceded by the lines:
EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2-lookup: deleted inode referenced: 2xx
An attempt to boot with the 5.29.6 3fs file also failed. So far I've booted the LiveCD three times fresh, and each boot ran without a hitch. I've booted it four times using a slacko savefile, and each of those attempts locked up the system. I haven't removed the CD from the drive yet, and the attempts were interspersed, so a scratch can't explain the differing results, nor can a corruption of the iso.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately your effort and mine are useless to me as things stand.

PS. I'm posting this with Slacko 5.3 loaded with

Code: Select all

pfix-ram

rcrsn51

#124 Post by rcrsn51 »

Delete the sfs file from the hard drive. Make sure that you look on all the partitions, so that Puppy is not finding a corrupted version somewhere.

Reboot. Puppy will get the sfs file off the CD but use the savefile off the hard drive. Does that work any better?

I duplicated your procedure.

1. I booted off the Slacko CD.
2. I saved both the sfs file and the save file to a vfat partition.
3. I rebooted.

Puppy found both files and loaded properly.

otropogo

#125 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:Delete the sfs file from the hard drive. Make sure that you look on all the partitions, so that Puppy is not finding a corrupted version somewhere.

Reboot. Puppy will get the sfs file off the CD but use the savefile off the hard drive. Does that work any better?

I duplicated your procedure.

1. I booted off the Slacko CD.
2. I saved both the sfs file and the save file to a vfat partition.
3. I rebooted.

Puppy found both files and loaded properly.
I was just trying your previous suggestion before logging in last time. It hadn't worked, but I thought I might have missed a copy of the sfs file. So I went back and tried searching with pfind. Pfind, unfortunately, is not working properly. It found one "puppy_slacko" that time, and I deleted it. I also deleted all but the last slackosave file.

I then rebooted, expecting to either crash again or to open with my remaining slackosave. Neither happened, instead, I had yet another uneventful fresh boot. When I looked at the slackosave file, it was corrupted - showing a Yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. I can't delete or rename it. And since I don't have Windows on my system, I can't fix it with chkdsk. Happily, the partition is not locked, and I can still write to it.

I then looked for any other puppy_slacko sfs files, and found that from 5.2.9 (pfind couldn't locate it using the "search all files" option, and with all partitions mounted, just as it can't locate the 5.3 version sitting in my home partition right now).

After deleting the 5.2.9 sfs, I reconfigured, created a new save file, then meant to decline the "save sfs" option, but accidentally brushed the keyboard (I think that's what happened, and the sfs file was saved to the hdd after all (a fat32 hdd partition, the one all my other puppy 2fs and sfs files run off).

And now the system booted fine. I rebooted just to be sure, and had my second success.

So, the culprit appears to have been th puppy_slacko_5.2.9.sfs file all along.

Any idea how I can delete the corrupted slackosave files from my two hard drives with a Puppy app?

PS> the two corrupted files are on different hard drives, one was created by slacko 5.2.9, the other by 5.3, but both are on ntfs partitions. None of the slackosave files written to fat32 have become undeletable.

rcrsn51

#126 Post by rcrsn51 »

otropogo wrote:Any idea how I can delete the corrupted slackosave files from my two hard drives with a Puppy app?
Glad to hear that you are making progress. Try booting off a different Puppy Live CD and see if the files are still shown as corrupted.

But I would worry about other underlying corruption in the NTFS partition. Maybe you will have to off-load its content and re-format it.

Q5sys

#127 Post by Q5sys »

anyone manage to get slapt-get working or not? Just wondering as it'd be alot eaiser to be able to grab random libs that are missing with it once we start fine tuning our individual systems.
Unfortunately I've been so busy I havent been able to work with slacko much beyond installing it last weekend. :(

otropogo

#128 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
otropogo wrote:Any idea how I can delete the corrupted slackosave files from my two hard drives with a Puppy app?
Glad to hear that you are making progress. Try booting off a different Puppy Live CD and see if the files are still shown as corrupted.

But I would worry about other underlying corruption in the NTFS partition. Maybe you will have to off-load its content and re-format it.
Yes, that's a disturbing thought, especially since the last time something like this happened, the entire partition was locked read -only until I could run Dos chkdsk on it. Unfortunately, these are internal hard drives, and I don't have Windows installed on the system.

And it's been suggested that the issue might be with ntfs partitions formatted by Gparted, as these have been. Is there anything comparable to chkdsk that I could run from Puppy?

rcrsn51

#129 Post by rcrsn51 »

You can try "ntfsfix /dev/sdxy". But it is not a comprehensive repair tool for NTFS.

otropogo

Slacko 5.3 seems awfully storage hungry

#130 Post by otropogo »

I've just booted Slacko 5.3 for the third time. I gave it a 512MB save file to begin with, and have installed absolutely nothing, not even adobe flash, IIRC. So there's nothing to save except my desktop configuration.

Yet when I booted up, I got a red pop-up warning that I urgently need more storage, the storage icon showed that all but ONE Megabyte of my "504MB" of storage were used up. What for, I wonder?

If this is normal, then the save menu really needs to be changed, since anything below 768MB is apparently dangerously low. And my experience with savefiles filling up is that they're lost forever. I would never knowingly get within 50MB of a full save file.

otropogo

xfprot 2.4 doesn't work

#131 Post by otropogo »

Have downloaded and installed the xfprot 2.4 and Fprot6.5.1 from the Slacko repository.

The installation went without a hitch, and the xfprot appears in the utility menu, as usual. But when I try to update the signatures file, the following appears in the console:
/tmp/xterm_simulater_hold,sh: line 2:null:command not found

FINISHED, PRESS ENTER KEY TO CLOSE THIS WINDOW:
I recall a fix being offered somewhere, but can't remember where. Xfprot works fine in Lupu 5.28, although Barry seems to think it's broken.

I'm also looking for a way to install the Ufraw plug-in for GIMP, as well as the standalone RAW editor, Rawstudio. Both are running in Lupu 5.28.

Finally, I need to get Chinese Character display support, at least for the browsers, Seamonkey and Firefox.

otropogo

#132 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:You can try "ntfsfix /dev/sdxy". But it is not a comprehensive repair tool for NTFS.
thanks. Unfortunately, it didn't work:
sh-4.1# ntfsfix /dev/sda5
Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sda5.
sh-4.1#
I'm in lupu5.28 now. It shows the files as corrupted also. I was able to open them and delete the contents, but they're still shown as taking up the same amount of space. I can rename all parts of the filename except one garbage character, but that one prevents me from deleting the file.

I was able to mount one of the hard drives on a free channel on a Win2K machine. The BIOS recognized the drive, and windows showed a drive, but no partitions, and offered only to format it. The drive has two fat32 partitions and one ntfs, all created/formatted by Gparted, IIRC. All three should appear in Win2K with their own drive letter, instead of a single letter for the entire hdd (which shows as 0% used 0% free). Evidently the MBR is hooped.

I've only got about 60GB of data on that hard drive, so I guess it's not that big a deal to move it all. The question is, should I use Win2K or Gparted to fdisk, partition, and format it?

Update:

I unmounted the ntfs partition sdb3 and opened it in Gparted, which give a long error report ending in the following advice:
ERROR: NTFS is inconsistent: Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot TWICE!
given the fact that I can't even view the partition in Windows, I decided instead to let Gparted have a go at it. I let it delete the partition, then recreat it as an extended file (as primary, it didn't give me any format options except ext2) in fat32 format.

There were no error messages, so I guess I can't do much more until I have time to move the drive back to Win2K for another check. I wonder whether it was the partition's original creation as a primary drive that stumped Windows? IIRC normally Windows only allows one primary partition, and all the others are logical extensions.

If that's the case, maybe Win2K will now be able to recognize and mount the partitions, except for the Linux Swap partition.

bigpup

#133 Post by bigpup »

otropogo,
I've only got about 60GB of data on that hard drive, so I guess it's not that big a deal to move it all. The question is, should I use Win2K or Gparted to fdisk, partition, and format it?
Gparted has a check option, in the right click menu, when you right click on a unmounted partition.
It will run a check and repair if needed.
Not knowing what version of Gparted you used, I would go for the latest version.
Get it here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php?alles=alles

If you are running only Linux operating systems, why use NTFS or fat32 to begin with? Use Linux formats that Linux is designed to use.

One thing you have seen and indicated by your previous posts is leftover old files can and does cause problems.

Consider the possibility of hard drive, connector cables, or memory going bad.
All would cause these problems.

Hard drives can be checked using manufacturers tools available for download at their web sites.

Memory can be checked using program Memtest86.
Free self bootable program found on internet.
given the fact that I can't even view the partition in Windows, I decided instead to let Gparted have a go at it. I let it delete the partition, then recreat it as an extended file (as primary, it didn't give me any format options except ext2) in fat32 format.
This tells me you are doing something wrong in how you run Gparted. Should not be seeing this.
IIRC normally Windows only allows one primary partition, and all the others are logical extensions.
Windows is able to see up to 4 primary partitions.
Or 3 primary partitions.
With one extended partition with any number of logical partitions inside it.
Anything above 4 you do with logical partitions inside extended partition.

Example:
Attachments
patitions.jpg
(53.35 KiB) Downloaded 2370 times
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 06:27, edited 4 times in total.

8-bit

#134 Post by 8-bit »

I have a second hard drive I set up with Gparted.
It originally had a fat32 partition and a NTFS partition. I used Gparted to shrink the NTFS partition and created 2 linux ext2 partitions in the unallocated space.
I never created any extended partitions at any time.
So I have sdb1,sdb2,sdb3,and sdb4 with the last two being linux format.
I have never bothered to change the vfat or NTFS partitions to linux and I can use those for files I want windows to see.
And if I am on the web in windows with Firefox, I can download files I run across for Puppy to one of those partitions so as to isolate the windows partition from having to mount it for file access.
Also, if I am running Puppy and see a application I want for windows, I can put it on one of those partitions.

My setup is a bit strange as I boot to a windows boot menu that I select linux from.
That boots grub from sdb3 and in return, gives me access to booting Puppy versions from sdb3 and sdb4.

jabu2

Slacko 5.3 now first choice

#135 Post by jabu2 »

Fujitsu Lifebook S6210 1 Gb RAM
(no OS except Puppy - have SWAP file)

Slacko 5.3 is now first choice
Lupu 5.2.8+updates second

No issues. Wireless and ethernet connections, sound, pcmcia functions (several incl flash disk use) all worked rotb (right off the bat).
Wireless even when travelling is painless (if available).
No loading or running glitches.
Chrome browser (in-teens versions) -igoogle, and syncing, dropbox and many google apps all work
LibreOffice seems reliable for real work.

But no added bling, or swapping of window-managers etc.
Keep it simple and useful for these older machines (IMHO)
which really means live-CD and frugal installs
and, as 01Micko advises, always pfix=ram with any new version.

No need for GRUB or complex OS choices.

It just works

Also posted to
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=210

otropogo

#136 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:...

Gparted has a check option, in the right click menu, when you right click on a unmounted partition.
It will run a check and repair if needed.
Not knowing what version of Gparted you used, I would go for the latest version.
Get it here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php?alles=alles

Thanks. Is there a pet for it? My experience in manually installing linux apps is zilch. And in fact, I haven't been doing well even with pets.

If you are running only Linux operating systems, why use NTFS or fat32 to begin with? Use Linux formats that Linux is designed to use.

Probably because more reliable reference material is available for problems with Windows file systems. In my experience, Linux documentation is extremely poorly maintained, and ofter dangerously misleading.
One thing you have seen and indicated by your previous posts is leftover old files can and does cause problems.
Well, I've been using a lot of different Puppy versions lately. Slacko_5.2.9 distinguished itself primarily by providing native support for USB3 in Puppy. I wasn't going to dump it until I knew there was something better, because the difference in throughput is huge. I only discovered Slacko_5.3 today, and had never experienced this problem with any previous version of Puppy. For instance, I've never had a Puppy 4.2x sfs interfere with a Puppy 4.3.1. They've always co-exited on my hard drives without issue.
Consider the possibility of hard drive, connector cables, or memory going bad.
All would cause these problems.
Sure, but when you have one OS that crashes, freezes and/or corrupts data every time, and three others that never have an issue, with the same hardware, I think it's safe to say it's not a hardware issue.
Hard drives can be checked using manufacturers tools available for download at their web sites.

Memory can be checked using program Memtest86.
Free self bootable program found on internet.
Sure, and I've got all these programs several times over, one more than one rescue CD. I very rarely have any cause to use them, and frankly, many of these programs are not that reassuring. Memtest86 is one I particularly dislike. It used to lock up Puppy 2.13 Retro for me every time.
This tells me you are doing something wrong in how you run Gparted. Should not be seeing this.
Gee. And what could I be doing wrong? There aren't a lot of options in Gparted as presented in Puppy.

Windows is able to see up to 4 primary partitions.
Or 3 primary partitions.
With one extended partition with any number of logical partitions inside it.
Anything above 4 you do with logical partitions inside extended partition.
Example:
Well, I did find when installing the newly formatted partition in Windows a second time that Windows still doesn't see anything except a formatted hard drive, which it calls "C". It looks like I'll have to Fdisk and repartition the entire drive.

chrismt

#137 Post by chrismt »

I can't get the Skype SFS file via the SlickPet. Some size error.

rcrsn51

#138 Post by rcrsn51 »

otropogo wrote:
sh-4.1# ntfsfix /dev/sda5
Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sda5.
sh-4.1#
Was sda5 mounted when you ran the command? Ntfsfix will only work on UNmounted partitions.

DaveS

#139 Post by DaveS »

I built a .pet for the lovely Goggles Music Manager

It includes all deps, including Xine. Just a click and go install.

Known issues.. damn I cant get the menu icon correct. I specify it correctly in the .desktop file, then the installation process changes it! [fixed..see below posts]
I have only included the icons Goggles uses, to keep thye size down, but I could not find the icon for Internet Radio! Got tired trying :)

Download from here: http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/goggles/

password puppy
username linux

16M installed because of the deps, but if anyone wants an sfs, just say.

This .pet is Slacko specific, not suitable for other Pups.
Last edited by DaveS on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#140 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote:Known issues.. damn I cant get the menu icon correct. I specify it correctly in the .desktop file, then the installation process changes it!
In what folder are you putting the icon?