Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
smokey01

#221 Post by smokey01 »

I have a logitech 4000 pro which is also USB and it works fine with Guvcview in lupu-525 anyway.

I think I tried it in Wary and it worked too.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: USB3 , 3TB support in Wary?

#222 Post by BarryK »

otropogo wrote:Wondering whether there's a pet to provide USB3 support in Wary, as there is in lupu? I assume the kernel doesn't include such support, since it doesn't in lupu ( Slacko 5.29.6 has such kernel support).

Lupu also seems to have a problem with 3TB ntfs support on both the USB3 and the USB2 port. Slacko 5.29.6 doesn't seem to have this problem, but won't run on my Intel D865GLC desktop machine.
Wary is designed for older hardware. Racy supports usb3.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

irishrm

vlc

#223 Post by irishrm »

I've just installed vlc 5.1.5-w5.

I was told a number of dependencies were missing.

It failed to play radio streams .xspf, .pls, .m3u.

Plays music o.k.

I found a partial solution by installing the mplayer codecs package from the puppy4 repo.

Now plays radio files but won't play video.

This was not a problem with 5.1.2.7

otropogo

#224 Post by otropogo »

James C wrote:For what it's worth, MPlayer on Wary 5.21 (full install) here plays .wmv, .avi ,.mp4 and flv files perfectly well. No problems...fullscreen toggles,good sound, etc..Works fine with audio mp3's as well.
MPlayer works fine on my laptop too, but that doesn't help me finding a way to play videos on my desktop machine. I wonder whether it has something to do with the display adapters. The laptop has an Nvidia chip, while the desktop is running an ATI X1550 adapter.

I've got no great yearning for Mplayer. Have generally gotten along with Gxine. But I can't get Gxine to work on the desktop either, although it works fine in Lupu and Puppy 4.3.1.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

linuxcbon

#225 Post by linuxcbon »

ldd doesnt like when files in /usr/lib/ are not executable.
chmod +x /usr/lib/*

Other bug ?

Code: Select all

ldd /usr/lib/*.so | grep found
gives :

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so)
/usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so)

kenbanistu

#226 Post by kenbanistu »

Wary 5.2 won't release the CD drive.
I am using a computer that can't boot from USB (too old), so I use the CD to boot. I created a warysave file on a USB flash drive (the hard drive died about a year ago) and when asked if I wanted to copy the wary sfs to the same location I said yes. When I boot, the warysave file is seen but the wary SFS file apparently is not. Wary is using the sfs file on the CD still instead of the one on the flash drive, and that means I can't use the cd drive for other things, it won't unmount.

--Ken

smokey01

#227 Post by smokey01 »

kenbanistu how much memory do you have?

You need adequate memory to load puppy, if not it needs to access the cd drive.

`f00

#228 Post by `f00 »

@kenbanistu

Yep .. have that issue as well (no direct boot from usb) on my vintage machine. You could try "puppy pmedia=usbflash" at the bootsplash to force it to recognize/load the sfs that's on usb (thus hopefully freeing the optical drive after boot). It's been awhile since I've used usb, but as I recall a few other files are needed on the stick for the pmedia dodge to work properly..

Sorry to hear about the dead hdd - that really limits you in terms of 'fast' parts for swap if you're RAM-challenged also. Swap part on stick is do-able but slow..

kenbanistu

#229 Post by kenbanistu »

smokey01 wrote:kenbanistu how much memory do you have?

You need adequate memory to load puppy, if not it needs to access the cd drive.
I only have 192 megs, but I don't see why that should matter. There is a copy of the sfs file on the flash drive. Wary should be using it instead of the one on the cd, thus freeing up the cd drive for other uses.

--Ken

kenbanistu

#230 Post by kenbanistu »

`f00 wrote:@kenbanistu

Yep .. have that issue as well (no direct boot from usb) on my vintage machine. You could try "puppy pmedia=usbflash" at the bootsplash to force it to recognize/load the sfs that's on usb (thus hopefully freeing the optical drive after boot). It's been awhile since I've used usb, but as I recall a few other files are needed on the stick for the pmedia dodge to work properly..

Sorry to hear about the dead hdd - that really limits you in terms of 'fast' parts for swap if you're RAM-challenged also. Swap part on stick is do-able but slow..
I'll give the pmedia=usbflash a try, but having to type that in every bootup will get annoying.

I'm not sure what other files would need to be on the stick. In puppy 4.3.1 all that is needed is the pupsave and the sfs.

--Ken

linuxcbon

#231 Post by linuxcbon »

The popup asking to download flashplayer is annoying. Can you remove it ?
Last edited by linuxcbon on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 22:15, edited 2 times in total.

linuxcbon

#232 Post by linuxcbon »

---
Last edited by linuxcbon on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 23:12, edited 4 times in total.

linuxcbon

#233 Post by linuxcbon »

-
Last edited by linuxcbon on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

linuxcbon

#234 Post by linuxcbon »

http://www.yolinux.com/MIME-EXAMPLES/launch.mpg
Video plays bad.
right click full screen = not full screen.
Last edited by linuxcbon on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Cox

Re: vlc

#235 Post by Frank Cox »

I have had much better luck with this version of VLC
VLC8.6 but I can't find it anywhere. If you want I can upload it to dropbox for you. It worked fine to download streaming video with no worries at all.

linuxcbon

#236 Post by linuxcbon »

Barry, can these be removed, not needed : inkscape, cups, python.
Last edited by linuxcbon on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.

stu90

#237 Post by stu90 »

linuxcbon wrote:Can these be removed, not needed : inkscape, cups, python.
Use menu > Setup > remove builtin packages and remaster - or edit .sfs and delete using the application files in /root/.packages/builtin_files/

linuxcbon

#238 Post by linuxcbon »

stu90 I was talking to Barry.

stu90

#239 Post by stu90 »

linuxcbon wrote:stu90 I was talking to Barry.
ho-hum, was only trying to help - i wont bother next time! :(

rcrsn51

#240 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you boot Wary off its Live CD, then try to set up a flash drive, syslinux needs /tmp to have 1777 permissions. If the sticky bit is not set, it gives the error "possibly unsafe /tmp permissions".

Slacko has the same problem.