How to install Lupu_528 as guest in vbox 4.1.4?

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
jasonp

How to install Lupu_528 as guest in vbox 4.1.4?

#1 Post by jasonp »

I am new to Puppy and would like to install it as a guest OS within vbox 4.1.4 (host is win7 laptop). I'm a bit new to vbox as well.

I've tried searching and reading various posts, but am a bit unclear on a few items (probably basic).

Here's what I've tried thus far:
- downloading lupu-528.iso
- firing up a new vm and capturing the iso to install

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed with:
1) installing the guest additions so I can define and access shared folders
2) should I do something to make the VM a "frugal" install (disk based), or ??

I have seen the posts about the kernel sources and what not for being able to install the guest additions, but most are short on actual "do this then that".

I see the following files under http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-5.2.8/:
lupu_devx_528.sfs
lupu_devx_528-2.sfs
lupu_devx_528-3.sfs

Do I just need -3 as the most recent? How do I install it? Once I install it, can I then follow the "standard" procedure for installing linux guest additions (https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic ... 29&t=15679)

And what about setting up the installation to be on the "virtual HD filesystem" vs liveCD? Should I do that? If so, how?

I'll stop there with questions for now :)

Side note (shouldn't matter) - the host OS is windows7 with bitkeeper activated. This prevents me from doing stuff that accesses the disk outside of an actual windows login (since it's all encrypted).

B.K. Johnson

#2 Post by B.K. Johnson »

jasonp
I have the same problem. If I understood what the scripts mean and how they have to be interpreted for the non-standard puppy, I would be OK. I have no problem installing GuestAdditions and sharing files on the Windows 7 host from a Windows XP guest. After making the host file available, I double-click and install whatever I want.

I just wrote a long explanation of what to do in the XP case and lost it. I can't rewrite it. Click on the Help tab and search for shared folders. There are 2 items listed. Read the longer one. I have cut and pasted it here, but the formatting is not the best. The second part is what we are interested in.

Code: Select all

In a Windows guest, shared folders are browseable and therefore visible in Windows Explorer. So, to attach the host's shared folder to your Windows guest, open Windows Explorer and look for it under "My Networking Places" -> "Entire Network" -> "VirtualBox Shared Folders". By right-clicking on a shared folder and selecting "Map network drive" from the menu that pops up, you can assign a drive letter to that shared folder.

Alternatively, on the Windows command line, use the following:

net use x: \\vboxsvr\sharename
While vboxsvr is a fixed name (note that vboxsrv would also work), replace "x:" with the drive letter that you want to use for the share, and sharename with the share name specified with VBoxManage.

In a Linux guest, use the following command:

mount -t vboxsf [-o OPTIONS] sharename mountpoint
To mount a shared folder during boot, add the following entry to /etc/fstab:

sharename   mountpoint   vboxsf   defaults  0   0
B.K. Johnson

emil

Puppy as guest in Virtual Box

#3 Post by emil »

Some notes on your questions:

Live CD iso vs frugal install:
It is not strictly necessary to to a frugal HD install, advantages - you can use a savefile easily and booting is a tad faster than from the iso (or is that just subjective).

1) You have to create a hd in the VM settings (like 8 GB, dynamic size).
2) start VM with iso
3) Use Gparted tool to format the Harddisk, set boot flag
4) install GRUB (or GRUB4DOS) on the harddisk
5) Use Universal Installer tool to make a frugal install

To install the guest additions you need the devx sfs AND the kernel_sources sfs. The Link to the kernel sources should be in the first post of playdayz thread (release announcement, Advanced>Puppy Projects in this Forum). To install those packages it is easiest to download "sfs_loader1.2.pet" by shinobar (google for it, it is on this forum). Just right-click on sfs packages and they will install.

Alas, I have a problem with installing those Guest additions: Shared Folders work fine, but mouse and screen resolution is completely broken. I use Puppy 511, I would be curious if this affects also the newer release.
Does anybody have successfully installed a Puppy Guest with those Additions?

difedepe

Vbox on 5.3

#4 Post by difedepe »

Hi guys,
can you tell me how can I install Vbox on puppy 5.3?

Let me know,
Peppe.

RSH

#5 Post by RSH »

Hello,

I would recommend first to go to the link location below and download the new lupu-528.004.iso and further offered files.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

SFR

Re: Puppy as guest in Virtual Box

#6 Post by SFR »

emil wrote:Alas, I have a problem with installing those Guest additions: Shared Folders work fine, but mouse and screen resolution is completely broken. I use Puppy 511, I would be curious if this affects also the newer release.
Does anybody have successfully installed a Puppy Guest with those Additions?
Actually, I did it (...well, in most :wink: ) with Lupu-528.004, Win7_x64 as a host and VBox 4.1.4 (now 4.1.6)
and everything, except mouse (integration must be disabled), works fine, screen resolution also.
Check this thread/post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 125#590125

If you guys have older versions of Puppy and/or VBox, my way may not work (for example, there is small difference in VBoxClient service's handling - check Playdayz's first post).
But mouse issue seems to be still unsolved, unfortunately...

BTW, I have noticed that threads regarding VBox Additions are scattered in ten different places at this forum :lol:

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

mdisaster2

#7 Post by mdisaster2 »

These are the steps and tricks (culled by various online sources.) that allowed me to use Puppy 520 with Virtualbox 404. Mouse integration was working fine, except that it took about one minute for the mouse to became functional. However now I am unable to make mouse integration work with Puppy 528-004 and VBox 4.10 no matter how hard I try.

Prerequisites:
- a working FRESH (with no traces of previous attempts of installing the Guest Additions) frugal install of Puppy under virtualbox.
- the development and kernel SFS must be loaded.
- a text editor that run outside X (the Puppy I used originally had e3m, however I couldn't find anytihing like it on 528 so I installed pico-tiny from the ubuntu repository.

From the virtualbox menus above the window in which Puppy is running select the CD-ROM device and "load" the Guest Addition CD by checking the appropriate checkbox. IGNORE the “install Guest Additions
Last edited by mdisaster2 on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

mdisaster2

Works, but not with 528

#8 Post by mdisaster2 »

I've been running some other tests, just to make sure of my mental sanity, since I am pretty sure that mouse integration had been working for me.

All tests were done with VB 418, following the steps I posted above.

- Lupu 528: FAILURE (starts with X, GA installation is fine, mouse integration doesn't work)

- Wary 522 : FAILURE (same problems as with Lupu 528,)

- Slacko 531 : FAILURE , GA installation fail (not able to start the required services, iirc) and the mouse stays broken.

- Puppy 431 : FAILURE : trying to start X under VB immediately locks the VM solid (Vesa is fine though), GA installation builds successfully the drivers but can't install them because X is not active. Shared folders do work, even under Vesa.

- Puppy 501 : SUCCESS !!! 8) : Puppy boots in X, Guest Additions install fine, xorg.config has all the relevant lines to edit, mouse integration works nicely (it does need about 30 seconds to start up).

So it would seem that something has changed between 501 and 528 (I didn't try the intermediate versions).

Hopefully it is a fixable issue...

EDIT: it doesn't work that nicely after all, after a few minutes the "inside" mouse cursor tends to lose sync with the "outside" one. Oh well, it's not like I didn't try ;)