Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#301 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Please see this message. But there are reports that a/the Nvidia drivers don't work.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 679#552679

I use the Slacko drivers in my Nvidia boxes
That is good news JamesC. Thanks. After Slacko is released I am thinking to steal the section of Slickpet that recommends video drivers and insert it into Quickpet in 3HD.
I've used both the 96.43.19-k2.6.37.6-s (old Nvidia card) and 275.09.07-k2.6.37.6-s (newer Nvidia cards) from Slacko successfully in Three_Headed_Dog.

goolwa_pup

Realtek Wireless driver

#302 Post by goolwa_pup »

I made a request to Tempestuous for a driver:
This is a request for the Realtek 8192cu driver to be compiled for Three-Headed Dog. Currently I cannot access internet

Tempestuous replied:
You will need to ask someone who has a 2.6.37.6 development environment set up. I don't.
The correct source code is difficult to identify on the Realtek site, so I can help you there. I have just uploaded the source code you need here -
http://minipc.org/ipup/download/rtl8192 ... 715.tar.gz

Is it possible that someone can compile this driver for three headed dog?

Thanx

rcrsn51

Re: Realtek Wireless driver

#303 Post by rcrsn51 »

goolwa_pup wrote:Is it possible that someone can compile this driver for three headed dog?
Try this.

goolwa_pup

realtek wireless driver

#304 Post by goolwa_pup »

thanx rcrsn51 that worked perfectly....and the net seems faster using it on three headed dog than on two headed dog....in fact three headed dog seems much more responsive full stop....I tried it on a phenom quad core....will try 3headed dog on my thinkpad t43 next and see how it goes....once again thanks..can report it works well on the thinkpad as well..cheers

rcrsn51

#305 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help. How are you loading the 8192cu module? Did you add it to BootManager config? Or is it automatically loaded?

goolwa_pup

#306 Post by goolwa_pup »

rcrsn51 wrote:Glad to help. How are you loading the 8192cu module? Did you add it to BootManager config? Or is it automatically loaded?
well I just installed the pet and used the original network manager (not the simple network manager) and it showed up in the window...... I clicked on it and it then asked if I wanted it added it to the wpa list... I said ok ....so I assume it is automatically loaded......I then proceeded to add my wireless config as normal...and it is persistent upon rebooting the system...thanx again :D

I can also report it works with slacko

MoebusNet

frisbee

#307 Post by MoebusNet »

Booting pfix=ram, set time zone & restart x, set up wireless networking with SNS, reboot to create pup_save file.
Install Frisbee, Puppy Package Manager does not complete install. Frisbee does not show up in Puppy Package manager but icon appears in taskbar, Frisbee runs but does not retain settings. Xorg_High installs properly.

Booting pfix=ram, set time zone & restart x, setup wireless networking with SNS, install Frisbee then reboot to create pup_save file. Frisbee appears in PPM but when installing Xorg_High, it does not show as installed in PPM but does run "# glxgears".

Perhaps someone could confirm this behavior?
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

James C

#308 Post by James C »

I'm getting behind, I'm only up to k-3.0.7 ........ :lol:
Attachments
Three-Headed-Dog.png
(17.94 KiB) Downloaded 1922 times

playdayz

#309 Post by playdayz »

Instant Update 001 for Three-Headed Dog is posted in the first message of this thread. It is an improvement over the RC.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

cowpoke

#310 Post by cowpoke »

Playdayz,

Thanks for the update. 3HD is my preferred puppy
and is working without error on my system. :D

cowpoke

darkcity

#311 Post by darkcity »

Added to big list. I listed under Three Headed Dog rather than Puppy529. Hope this is correct. I assumed this hasn't got official (Barry stamp) status?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion :twisted:

tlcstat

#312 Post by tlcstat »

Greetings,
Does this version have bluetooth support?
tlcstat

Roy

#313 Post by Roy »

playdayz,

I've been having problems with Pburn / video ripping in both Three-Headed-Dog and Slacko; I had mistakenly(?) posted about the errors here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 058#587058

My first post about the errors I encountered were on page 105, two pages earlier. I can't seem to locate the proper Slacko thread ATM....

Looks like I'm moving my system to Lupu-528.xxx (which works perfectly).

-Roy

playdayz

#314 Post by playdayz »

Added to big list. I listed under Three Headed Dog rather than Puppy529. Hope this is correct. I assumed this hasn't got official (Barry stamp) status?
Exactly right darkcity. Thanks.
I've been having problems with Pburn / video ripping in both Three-Headed-Dog and Slacko; I had mistakenly(?) posted about the errors here:
shinobar has mentioned that also Roy. We will investigate, but I am glad that Lucid is working. Lucid is using an older (more-tested) version of ffmpeg, which Pburn uses in encoding, as I understand it.

pabloA

#315 Post by pabloA »

Firstly - thanks to playdayz et al...

I too have an issue as james C regarding the Nvidia installer borking with an error.

Before 'attempting' to build my own - as suggested - I thought I'd ask if there is a newer version of the DevX_.sfs available other than the one posted on the first page?

On an un-realted matter..Whilst reading this thread I attemped to install various 'pets'. They downloaded ok, but they failed to install: error XXX failed to install...Just noticed; but thought it worth mentioning.

Regards

e2a

Going to try shinobar's approach with the sfs posted here ->

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405

pabloA

#316 Post by pabloA »

Happy to confirm that the Slacko based SFS worked a like a charm. Not the perfect driver for my card (Nvidia ION) as GXLgears seems to sutter - no where as nice as it does with in FATDOG_64 with the 290.x drivers.
Installed 285.x driver - Tried 'nvidia-installer --update' which fails with an error "cannot find ldconfig" - no matter

From C/L - ran aplay-l, aplay -L, then speaker-test to determine which digital channels in use.
Ran alsa mixer: unmuted everything on both cards. Ran Multi Card Wiz fom setup menu: choose default card.

Happy to say I now use the HDMI cable for sound & video to my TV....

Marv

fbpanel autohide behavior in 3HD

#317 Post by Marv »

A tint2/wbar refugee just getting used to how much fbpanel can do. And loving 3HD by the way.

The fbpanel pet from an October 23 2010 post by lguleder here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=33698 has a patch incorporated which improves the autohide behavior of fbpanel quite a bit. The release in 3HD uses a fixed mouse position 30 pixels away from the panel to unhide it. The patched release uses a mouse over the minimum height while hidden to unhide. Much less obtrusive but still accessible above or below a maximized window. I just saved my custom configuration file, removed the builtin fbpanel package, Installed the pet and put my custom configuration file back in /root/.config/fbpanel.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

pabloA

#318 Post by pabloA »

Fresh frugal install of THD after partions re-adjusted enabled latest NVIDIA driver (290.10.x) to be installed without issue :)

*Cannot be sure if it was as a result of moving my THD_save_file from an ext2 partion to an ext3 one: then back to an freshly formatted ext3 partion OR the upgrrde from Firefox 8 to 9 which caused Firefox to serve content really_really_slowly, to the point of me giving up in most cases?

Could anyone confirm that their Firefox behaviour after an upgrade is ok - Be nice to add the result to my list of 'things not to do'!

James C

#319 Post by James C »

Still a little behind but I'm up to k-3.1.0..... :)

Code: Select all

# uname -r
Attachments
Lucid-529-k-3.10.png
(21.58 KiB) Downloaded 1033 times

sszindian

gmail free phone service

#320 Post by sszindian »

Hi playdayz!

Found this old .pet, first tried it in Racy... it worked!that was with a Seamonky Browser. Figured I'd try it in Luci with an Iron Browser... it workes great here too. Originally it was written for FoxFire Browser but in these cases, it doesn't seem to matter. Might be a good one for the PPM?

If you have a gmail account for your email, you have a feature in there called 'Call Phone' (if I remember right, you have to signup for the feature even though it's free)

if you go to:

http://tinyurl.com/8479cqm

Download the .pet file:

googletalk-ff.pet

Install it in Luci-5.2.9

You have free live talk from your computer microphone to any local and long-distance phone number in the U.S. and Canada.

Works like a charm and is cyrstal clear, probably better than your phone!

This works for U.S. gmail accounts, how it will work for other parts of the world, you'll have to check that out for yourself.

NOTE: When dialing... a '1' is required for long-distance numbers and the 'area-code' seems to be required for all calls, even local.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]