Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#201 Post by BarryK »

p3m4la5 wrote:I am install fresh Wary 52 ( frugal ). everything ok, like detect my huawei e173 modem etc until klick power off > save file > Administrator .........
and until wait.... there is nothing happen ( wary not shutdown ). Did i miss something ?
sorry for bad english.....
Someone else reported having to wait a very long time, but the shutdown did eventually happen -- that was for a beta release of Wary.
I never found out what their problem was, as I cannot repeat the problem on any of my computers.

So, try waiting, a long time. I think he reported 15 minutes or thereabouts.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: insert kills seamonkey

#202 Post by BarryK »

Shep wrote:
BarryK wrote:Hmmm, I just tried the xmodmap workaround, reassigned Insert key as BackSpace -- then started geany and Insert key worked as before!
It did seem to reassign, though, did it?

Code: Select all

# xmodmap -pk |grep Insert
     90    	0xff9e (KP_Insert)	0xffb0 (KP_0)	
# xmodmap -pk |grep BackSpace
     22    	0xff08 (BackSpace)	0xfed5 (Terminate_Server)	
    106    	0xff08 (BackSpace)
My Insert key now functions exactly as the backspace key. If I need the Insert toggle action (so chars get overwritten while typing), I tap the numeric keypad's Insert key, that key still works as normal.
Yes, it did seem to reassign. Have you also tried starting geany after the reassign, see if you get the same problem?

Well, it is not really a problem, as really only want the reassign to work in FF/SM.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#203 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:
BarryK wrote: I did set 777 to rootfs-skeleton/tmp (and var), but the build in sandbox3/rootfs-complete has lost that, become 755.

So, I have placed a couple of lines in the build script, 3builddistro, that changes tmp and var back to 777.
Would it be better in /etc/rc.d/rc.update? Full installs suffer the 755 permissions on /tmp too.
Ok, done. It's done in both places.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#204 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote:puppyinstaller

Updating /etc/networkmodules...
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module acx
This is in file /usr/sbin/updatenetmoduleslist.sh. I have added 2>/dev/null to make modinfo quiet.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#205 Post by BarryK »

dc: syntax error at '596.2'
dc: syntax error at '8.204'[/quote]

i don't know what to say about this. I have looked at /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller, there are two lines that use the 'dc' utility. I put in those same values, works fine.

broomdodger

Re: wary 5.2 pmusic 2.1.8 playlists change

#206 Post by broomdodger »

BarryK wrote:broomdodger,
Would you mind posting this over in zigbert's pmusic thread? He is the only one who can fix it, and he might not be reading this thread.

Pmusic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Well, I can help out, I will send a pm to zigbert.
BarryK
I had posted both places, not knowing if it was a gtkdialog problem or pmusic.

zigbert asked for that info I posted, and also said he was busy with version 2.2

rcrsn51

#207 Post by rcrsn51 »

BarryK wrote:I thought that I had fixed this. Well, it only occurs for some people, as in live-CD and frugal installation modes, a tmpfs is mounted on /tmp, which has 777 permission (group and world writable).
Having been bitten by this bug a few times myself, I know one of its sources. Certain PET packages contain a /tmp folder which the developer has used to distribute files before committing them to the end user's filesystem. But if the /tmp folder in the PET has 755 permissions, it will replace the correct 777 permissions on the user's actual /tmp folder.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#208 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:

dc: syntax error at '596.2'
dc: syntax error at '8.204'[/quote]

i don't know what to say about this. I have looked at /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller, there are two lines that use the 'dc' utility. I put in those same values, works fine.[/quote]

I have just realised what your problem might be. I had removed the global LANG=C from the puppyinstaller script.

If you have a language that uses a comma instead of a dot for the decimal point, example 25,34 then that is what 'dc' will expect.

Ok, I will prefix 'dc' like this:

LANG=C dc ...

This problem seems to be because the 'disktype' utility is reporting partition size with a dot, not a comma.

Shep

Re: insert kills seamonkey

#209 Post by Shep »

BarryK wrote:
Shep wrote:My Insert key now functions exactly as the backspace key. If I need the Insert toggle action (so chars get overwritten while typing), I tap the numeric keypad's Insert key, that key still works as normal.
Yes, it did seem to reassign. Have you also tried starting geany after the reassign, see if you get the same problem?

Well, it is not really a problem, as really only want the reassign to work in FF/SM.
The re-assign persists for all programs. Yes, geany sees the insert key now as another Backspace key. So does the shell command line. (I'm still using an earlier Wary, 5.1 or so, not the latest.)

You could modify /root/.Xmodmap instead

# cat /root/.Xmodmap
keysym Insert = BackSpace
pointer = 1 2 3 4 5

shinobar

Re: Gimp Bug report

#210 Post by shinobar »

don570 wrote:I tried a version of Gimp 2.7.1 that shinobar made for
Wary and it couldn't save a document. The
application would disappear :cry:
shinobar wrote:There seem sharing library problem. I will check it up on Wary 5.2.

EDIT:
I am not sure what was wrong, but try gimp-2.7.1-1-w5.sfs.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/pup5/
shinobar wrote:Stil got segfault at exporting the image... :oops:
Exactly, it crashes at looking up saving folder.

(gimp-2.7:9752): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags ( 8 ) on option of type 0
** Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.1/ff-load.so' load error: libavformat.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This is a development version of GIMP. Debug messages may appear here.

gimp-2.7: fatal error: Segmentation fault

EDIT2:
I removed the SFS, and installed gimp-2.7.1-w5.pet, bable-0.1.2-w5 and gegl-0.1.2-w5 from the PPM. libavformat.so.52 is missing.
Got same result(Crash when looking up saving folder ).

EDIT3:
Tried compile new babl-0.1.4, gegl-0.1.6 and gimp-2.7.3 on Wary-5.2.
But the result is the same(Crash when looking up saving folder ).
It seems the nVidia driver(nvidia-glx-285.05.09) and the kernel problem.
I changed the graphic driver to vesa (nv didn't work) and disappeared the problem.

EDIT4:
Most recent nvidia-glx-290.10 driver seems no problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405
Last edited by shinobar on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#211 Post by BarryK »

Here is a PET package to upgrade Wary 5.2 to 5.2.1:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02573

Minor bug fixes, except for one big one -- the printing fix.

don570

new mtpaint saves layer properly

#212 Post by don570 »

new mtpaint 3.34.74
available in a pet package

newest mtpaint saves a layer properly while using wary :lol:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71332

otropogo

SchizoWary

#213 Post by otropogo »

After waiting a couple of days in the hopes someone could shed light on the several issues reported in my previous post here (BTW - somehow my e-mail notification of new posts in the thread has been blocked), I decided to simply try again, with the same PC, DVD-burner, and LiveCD as the first time.

The only change was the monitor, substituting a PC-enabled 20" Sun Microsystems model for the Viewsonic E90 I used in the previous boot Both monitors are attached to the system via a DualHead2Go connector, and booting with either or both powered up has not created any difficulty in 4.3.1 or lupu. After setup was completed, I powered up the second monitor, and it displayed identically to the Sun. So I don't believe this change can account for the massive difference in the desktop appearance and function, let alone the failure of major components to work, or the automatic setup of a wary savefile without user input. It's a very intriguing mystery to me, and I'm astonished that neither Barry nor anyone else here has expressed the slightest interest.

I booted the CD with

puppy pfix=ram
, to avoid booting from the warysave-SD5.3fs file created automatically by the installer on the first bootup, and also to avoid waiting for Wary to search the whole system for savefiles.

The installer presented the keyboard, timezone, and local/UTC options, and after that I selected xorg's probe option, as I did the last time. As previously, the xorg wizard offered a ridiculous resolution of 1024x768, and I tested it. It used only the top two thirds of the screen, so I hit CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE, reconfigure, and as always, was offered no option except to tweak the refresh rate.

I chose TWEAK, and chose 60Hz (which I know from experience is the only rate the xorg wizard will accept for my monitors (I wish I knew why!)), and presto! - the screen filled at 1600x1200 resolution with the announcement that the Radeon driver was installed.

Hitting OK gave me a normal desktop, with all the icons, and the wallpaper. The drive icons were there, ABI worked. I was even able to run the Pwallpaper image chooser and substitute a wallpaper from Puppy 4.x for the ghastly selection provided.Go figure!

And furthermore, this time the Wary installer DID NOT take it upon itself to created a warypet folder and install a 384MB 3fs warysave file on a partition of its choice without consultation (not yet, anyway).

However, the failure of the Pmount preferences tab to do anything persists. And another strange thing is that whereas the first Wary 5.2 boot had Gimp available and working in the Graphic menu, I don't see it this time...

BTW - I wonder why the pets for UFRAW (standalone and GIMP plug-in) and RAWSTUDIO, which are available for lupu and 4.3.1, are not found by Wary's packet manager?

Overall, I guess I've got some good news this time. I wonder if that means I'll be notified of new posts in subscribed threads once more...

Update: tried playing some mp4 videos after upgrading to 5.2.1. All I get from MPlayer is a console and audio, but no video.

I then tried installing xine-ui. 099, and a number of listed dependencies, and after all that, there was yet another notice of missing libraries, but no option to download.

Finally, I installed gxine 059.. But it had missing dependencies too.

Gxine shows in the Multimedia menu, but nothing happens when I click on it. It seems there's no way to play an mp4 video.

OTOH, clamAV installed without a hitch, and supposedly is accessible through the utilities menu. But I can't find a tab for it anywhere...

What was "broken" about x-fprot, anyway? It worked fine for me in Puppy 4.xx and lupu.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

rcrsn51

#214 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is guvcview for Wary. The separate DEP package contains the dependencies - libportaudio, libv4l2, libSDL and libavcodec. Because of their size, I have uploaded them externally.

guvcview_wary-1.5.0.pet
guvcview_wary_DEP-1.5.0.pet

Look in the menus under Multimedia.

This also works in Racy.

(If someone else has already posted this, I apologize.)

otropogo

#215 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is guvcview for Wary. The separate DEP package contains the dependencies - libportaudio, libv4l2, libSDL and libavcodec. Because of their size, I have uploaded them externally.

guvcview_wary-1.5.0.pet
guvcview_wary_DEP-1.5.0.pet

Look in the menus under Multimedia.

This also works in Racy.

(If someone else has already posted this, I apologize.)
Thanks. I'm in lupu right now, but will try after rebooting with Wary later today.

Should I uninstall the gxine and xine downloads and their installed dependencies before installing the above pets?

otropogo

USB3 , 3TB support in Wary?

#216 Post by otropogo »

Wondering whether there's a pet to provide USB3 support in Wary, as there is in lupu? I assume the kernel doesn't include such support, since it doesn't in lupu ( Slacko 5.29.6 has such kernel support).

Lupu also seems to have a problem with 3TB ntfs support on both the USB3 and the USB2 port. Slacko 5.29.6 doesn't seem to have this problem, but won't run on my Intel D865GLC desktop machine.

rcrsn51

#217 Post by rcrsn51 »

otropogo wrote:Should I uninstall the gxine and xine downloads and their installed dependencies before installing the above pets?
No. Guvcview is a webcam app. Gxine is a media player.

otropogo

#218 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
otropogo wrote:Should I uninstall the gxine and xine downloads and their installed dependencies before installing the above pets?
No. Guvcview is a webcam app. Gxine is a media player.
Thanks. Might as well uninstall gxine, -0.5.9, xine-ui, and xine-lib1.1.6 anyway, since according to the dependency checker they're missing the following files, which packet manager can't find anywhere, and which I wouldn't know what to do with if I could find them:

File /usr/bin/gxine has these missing library files:
libmozjs.so
File /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.26/xineplug_vo_out_xcbxv.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-xv.so.0 libxcb-shm.so.0 libxcb-shape.so.0
File /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.26/xineplug_vo_out_xcbshm.so has these missing library files:
libxcb-shape.so.0 libxcb-shm.so.0
Clamav supposedly has no missing dependencies, but I can't see a tab or an icon for it, and have no idea how to access it or use it.

At the time of installation, the Packet Manager reported no missing dependencies for any of the above. The only thing reported missing was "faad", which I've now installed. The dependency checker says it has no missing libraries, but I still can't play either flv or mp4 video.

Have just gone another round with Wary 5.2.1, package installer. I uninstalled xine gxine, and xine-lib, but left the alsa library and faad installed. I then reinstalled xine-ui and its dependencies. Then Package Manager reported that I'm missing the same library files described above, PLUS a new one :
File /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.26/xineplug_vo_out_sdl.so has these missing library files:
libSDL-1.2.so.0
which I'm equally unable to find in the Wary repository. Even more interesting is that Packet Manager also reports that I'm missing FAAD, even while its other window is showing it as installed....

As for Mplayer - all I'm able to do with it is play the sound track of flv and mp4 videos. A yellow screen opens for a fraction of a second, and then closes without leaving a tab anywhere. If I open it without clicking on a video file, I can get a yellow screen. But dropping a file into it, or navigating to a video file to open it immediately closes the window. Sometimes I can get a completely black window. I haven't seen any video play in it yet.

Dependency Checker is now telling me that xine-ui is not missing any shared libraries, but that xine-lib is missing the four previously mentioned, while continuing to list FAAD as an uninstalled dependency, and an installed package with no missing dependencies at the same time.
Puppy has searched for any missing shared libraries of these packages:

faad2-2.7-w5c

No missing shared libraries

Puppy has examined all user-installed packages and found these missing dependencies:

faad
Last edited by otropogo on Sun 30 Oct 2011, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#219 Post by James C »

For what it's worth, MPlayer on Wary 5.21 (full install) here plays .wmv, .avi ,.mp4 and flv files perfectly well. No problems...fullscreen toggles,good sound, etc..Works fine with audio mp3's as well.

Shep

#220 Post by Shep »

rcrsn51 wrote: Guvcview is a webcam app.
I have a USB webcam for which there is no driver on the Logitech site. (a version of Logitech Quickcam). Is it likely that guvcview might work with this cam, or does it still need the manufacturer's driver?