Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
loubapache

Encrypted Savefile

#41 Post by loubapache »

Frugal install on EXT4 partition or booting directly from CD.

1) Slacko 5.3.0 boots fine either way.
2) Make small changes to hostname etc and shutdown.
3) Create an encrypted (heavily) save file (EXT2) on EXT4 partition.

The subsequent booting will show "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"

If the savefile is normal (not encrypted), then the subsequent booting is fine.

First saw this in RC1, then again in RC2, now in the final release.

Karl Godt

#42 Post by Karl Godt »

The subsequent booting will show "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"
In that case i would boot "puppy pfix=rdsh"
[ newer puppies have several rdsh levels -> F2 & F3 @boot ]

-> this would drop you into the ram-disk-shell .

There you could try to read the files in /tmp using "e3 /tmp/bootinit.log" for example .
In frugal installations that booted ok these tmp files get copied/moved to /initrd/tmp .

I have not had time to explore slacko , though ; but follow the development with interest . 8)

I am guessing it is not a slacko problem , but woof/initrd , but the kernel may not have some drivers like aes_generic cbc cryptoloop correctly enabled or they may be missing inside the initrd.gz .

mavrothal

#43 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: In other news... scoop on the high tech lab,,
:D :D

Is (s)he compiling a webcam app?... :D :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rameshiyer

ICON MISSING

#44 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear 01MIcko

I would like to inform you that your solution (terminal command) worked for me. Now I am able to see the Icons on the Desktop. Micko Sir , Thank you very much.

James C

#45 Post by James C »

Went ahead and did a fresh full install of Slacko-5.30 (2.6.37.6) on the Athlon XP box.Zero difficulties.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.3

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: " 1440x900 " Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
12848 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2569.542 FPS
12450 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2489.914 FPS
12899 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2579.789 FPS
12948 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2589.423 FPS
12829 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2565.766 FPS
12920 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2583.862 FPS

01micko

Re: ICON MISSING

#46 Post by 01micko »

rameshiyer wrote:Dear 01MIcko

I would like to inform you that your solution (terminal command) worked for me. Now I am able to see the Icons on the Desktop. Micko Sir , Thank you very much.
You are most welcome Sir,

What troubles me more is why did it happen?

I will investigate.

Thank you.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#47 Post by James C »

Moving back up on Distrowatch.......
http://distrowatch.com
Attachments
distrowatch-27-10-11.png
(22.54 KiB) Downloaded 3010 times

jpeps

#48 Post by jpeps »

James C wrote:Moving back up on Distrowatch.......
http://distrowatch.com
I guess it would be #1 if everyone bothered to download from Distrowatch.

Brown Mouse

#49 Post by Brown Mouse »

Anyone know if icewm can be made to work in Slacko?I've experimented with several .pets without success so far.
Thanks for this great new Puppy.

chrome307

#50 Post by chrome307 »

I'm experiencing some problems with this particular build :(

These are the specs of the pc:

Compaq Presario F700 Notebook PC

CPU - AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 (1900 Mhz)
RAM - 2gb DIMM DDR2 667 MHz
GFX - nVidia GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M
SFX - nVidia MCP67 High Definition Audio
LAN - nVidia MCP67 Ethernet 10/100
Wifi - Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter

I have successfully managed to run the ISO, then install it onto a USB Flash drive, however when I made a 'save file' it fails to restart. I am choosing ext2 - heavy encryption for the save file.

loubapache

#51 Post by loubapache »

chrome307 wrote:I'm experiencing some problems with this particular build :(

I have successfully managed to run the ISO, then install it onto a USB Flash drive, however when I made a 'save file' it fails to restart. I am choosing ext2 - heavy encryption for the save file.
I have the same problem and have reported in the bug thread.

I saw this in RC1, RC2, and the final release.

mavrothal

#52 Post by mavrothal »

chrome307 wrote: I have successfully managed to run the ISO, then install it onto a USB Flash drive, however when I made a 'save file' it fails to restart. I am choosing ext2 - heavy encryption for the save file.
Quite often, when I had problems with USB and SDcards was because of some corruption. Some USB sticks were totally useless in transferring big files while others had problems with random write speed (many small files).

This first thing I do now after a USB transfer is to check the md5sum. In this case of the original vmlinuz, initrd.gz and puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs in the iso and the ones copied to the USB.

If they are OK, check if the stick will boot without a save file.
(Rename "slackosave-abc.2fs" to "slackosave-abc._2fs" so will not be recognized as a save file)

If it boots OK make a new non-encrypted save file and see if it boots OK now.

The outcome of these may give a clue where the problem might be.

PS: I use puppy and other OS with 6 USB sticks and 4 SDcards
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Mikrodots

Same issue with save file

#53 Post by Mikrodots »

Hello,

First - thanks for Slacko, great work.

I have succesfully run Slacko on the following ATOM hardware:

ASUS AT5NM Mini-ITX with Intel ATOM D525 onboard
1 GB DDR3 RAM
Sony AD-7280S Sata DVDR

Everything works great until an encrypted SaveFile is created.

This issue, as depicted by chrome307's picture, occurs with an encrypted save file.

Non-encrypted / normal save is okay as is Save to drive (Save to sda1 in my case)

This issue is repeatable using several different USB Flash Memory sticks formatted with EXT2, FAT16 and FAT32

Looks like something is missing with regards to the encrypted save.

Mikrodots

mavrothal

Re: Same issue with save file

#54 Post by mavrothal »

Mikrodots wrote: Looks like something is missing with regards to the encrypted save.
Just a hunch, but see if commenting out lines 382 and 383 in /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig before the first shutdown, fixes this issue.
Edit: No, this is not it
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 27 Oct 2011, 16:14, edited 3 times in total.

DPUP5520

#55 Post by DPUP5520 »

Brown Mouse wrote:Anyone know if icewm can be made to work in Slacko?I've experimented with several .pets without success so far.
I'm working on getting ICEWM to work with 5.3 right now since it is my main WM, I'll let you know if I get it working in the day or so.

Edit: Nevermind got it working real quick, icewm-1.3.7pre2-L519-lucid.pet and zlibs4v2.pet
Attachments
Slacko_ICEWM.png
(66.15 KiB) Downloaded 2038 times
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

eternal-sunshine

#56 Post by eternal-sunshine »

First not so much a bug, more an observation that may help others.
I've been trying to get

Code: Select all

ooolight_1.0_linux_intel_x86-32_us-en.sfs
to work in slacko 5.3. It works fine in lupu 528 and 431 but Bootmanager doesn't even see it in slacko.

All came good when I changed the file name to

ooolight-1.0_linux_intel_x86-32_us-en.sfs
ie changing the _ to a - after ooolight.

Same with other sfs files I tried. And it doesn't recognise

ooo4kids-fr_1.2-1_i386.sfs
either. So slacko seems to be a bit fussier than lupu or 431 as to sfs naming. Beware.

Another issue: In slacko ooolight-1.0_linux_intel_x86-32_us-en.sfs runs but without the "decoration" at the top ie the top most bar which has the app name and - + x at the right. All is okay in lupu and 431 and I note that in lupu 528 there is an option Un/Decorate on right clicking the top bar. Is this a JWM issue? Anyone any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks

edit: pix added
Attachments
snapshot.jpg
(113.89 KiB) Downloaded 513 times

tubeguy

#57 Post by tubeguy »

DPUP5520 wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Anyone know if icewm can be made to work in Slacko?I've experimented with several .pets without success so far.
I'm working on getting ICEWM to work with 5.3 right now since it is my main WM, I'll let you know if I get it working in the day or so.

Edit: Nevermind got it working real quick, icewm-1.3.7pre2-L519-lucid.pet and zlibs4v2.pet
Sweet! :D
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Brown Mouse

#58 Post by Brown Mouse »

DPUP5520 wrote:

Thank you DPUP5520 it worked very well.
I found that I also had to add 'wmswitcher_lucid52-0.pet'.Others I tried wouldn't switch without a manual exit to prompt.

tpw

Touchpad configuration not working properly

#59 Post by tpw »

Long term linux user, finally jumped on the puppy bandwagon a few weeks ago with lucid 528 and have been incredibly impressed with how fast and useful it is on my netbook (Acer Aspire D257).

I was excited to try out Slacko with a manual frugal install. Unfortunately I'm essentially unable to really use it with the netbook touchpad because most settings entered into flSynclient seem to have no effect. In particular, Max speed and Acceleration, which would allow me to get a useful pointer speed, simply have no effect. The touchpad still requires me to swipe my finger 20 times just to move the pointer across the screen. flSynclient worked perfectly in 528.

Saving the settings, restarting the X server, rebooting with savefile, all have no effect.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour or know of a fix?

From what I/ve seen so far, Slacko looks very impressive. Thanks 01micko, Barry, and all the other contributers.

01micko

#60 Post by 01micko »

tpw

Welcome to puppy :)

You will notice after you run flsynclient there is a Xdialog which pops up asking if your touchpad settings are ok. if you answered "yes" then run flsynclient again and answer "no". restart X. I have the issue with the main version on my r51 Thinkpad and this resolves the issue.

Several users report problems with encrypted save files. This is priority one to fix. Anyone with any knowledge of encryption?

EDIT: this bug seems to be a woof bug, reported by mavrothal in Racy puppy, so I'm sure Barry will help solve this one.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02570

I can confirm a bug in PPM that lists too many dependencies from the Slacky repo in particular. The file it reads seems fine. Investigating.

Thanks for all reports.
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access