Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

Touchpad scrolling on eeePC - SOLVED

#421 Post by rerwin »

playdayz, et al,
Although I prefer to provide solutions than to raise more issues, I have run out of time to research this, and suspect others have already solved it. Lucid Pup works well on my eeePC, including the touchpad -- mostly. Puppeee supports scrolling with the touchpad by moving one's fingertip up or down the right edge of the touchpad area. As I use the eeePC for some "real work", I find that scrolling without that feature is frustrating, because the scroll arrows are small and the pointer is sensitive (and moves slightly with each tap). I don't know whether there is a way to simulate pressing a mouse button for continuous scrolling.

In the hope that something can be added to IU2 to activate that feature, I am requesting your assistance in getting that to work. I think solving that would make lupu even more compelling for netbook users. Once the technique is identified, I could help with integrating it into lupu if that is necessary or possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Richard

UPDATE: My request can now be disregarded! I found the Mouse/keyboard wizard, which I had never used. It has an option for the touchpad. When I first ran the wizard, it told me to restart the X server, so I did. When I then ran the M/k wizard, I saw the options. Although the tapping and scrolling now worked, the pointer motion was slower than Lucid Pup's default (without the scrolling). In the M/k wizard's "General" tab, I changed the "Min Speed" to 0.30 and "Max Speed" to 0.50.

Those actions seem to restore the default speed and tapping, but also with scrolling. The M/k wizard provides many more options than I imagined. No need for a fix to lupu for this.
Richard

rerwin

Identification of Epson Perfection scanner

#422 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
I tried out scanning with my Epson Perfection 1660 Photo, as a novice accustomed to using the Epson software in Windows. I seem to remember getting Xsane to work some time ago, maybe in 4.3.1.

After not having the scanner recognized, at all, I unplugged and replugged it (USB) and saw it recognized. But the name shown was not "Perfection 1660". Apparently, the "driver/backend" epson2 (and probably epson, too) uses the product names for the Japanese versions of the products. However, there is another backend, epkowa, that has the names used in the rest of the world for those devices.

Since most of us live outside of Japan, it would be reasonable to substitute the epkowa backend for epson2 in the sane.d/dll.conf file (by commenting out epson2 and inserting epkowa after it) and to add to IU2 the content of the epkowa package posted here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 703#420703
The package updates dll.conf to append epkowa, but that should be left out in favor of placing the entry with the other Epsons.

That posting also includes a package of the Epson iscan add-on to gimp. That might be added to the repo as a user optional package.

I still have not gotten scanning to work satisfactorily (due to my inexperience with Xsane), but feel the epkowa backend would be a good addition to lupu.
Richard

playdayz

#423 Post by playdayz »

Firefox 7.0.1

The mms-fix pet did not work for me.
Yes Bigpup, the mms pet only works with Iron, and presumably Chromium and Chrome. It looks like rjbrewer has the fix for Firefox.

Thanks rjbrewer. I have been down with a cold but will try the fix and implement it in the RC of Instant Update 002, coming soon.

rcrsn51

Re: Identification of Epson Perfection scanner

#424 Post by rcrsn51 »

rerwin wrote:But the name shown was not "Perfection 1660". Apparently, the "driver/backend" epson2 (and probably epson, too) uses the product names for the Japanese versions of the products. However, there is another backend, epkowa, that has the names used in the rest of the world for those devices.
According to SANE, your Perfection 1660 Photo is the "overseas version of the GT-8300UF". The vendor/product ID is 0x04b8/0x011e and SANE claims complete support with the epson2 backend.

Does it work for you with the epson2 backend? I am sending you a PM.

roadkill13

#425 Post by roadkill13 »

Thanks rjbrewer. I have been down with a cold but will try the fix and implement it in the RC of Instant Update 002, coming soon.
The fix worked for me in Firefox 7.01 although it should be noted that gnome-mplayer is not in /usr/local/bin but is in /usr/bin.

playdayz

#426 Post by playdayz »

12. Go to Squid TV, click a channel on the right.

13. A popup asks for a player.
@ rjbrewer, I must be doing something wrong. The Squid TV channels on the right open automatically with flashplayer. Any ideas. Thanks.

Never mind. Got it.

rjbrewer

#427 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:
12. Go to Squid TV, click a channel on the right.

13. A popup asks for a player.
@ rjbrewer, I must be doing something wrong. The Squid TV channels on the right open automatically with flashplayer. Any ideas. Thanks.

Never mind. Got it.
Also try the green (mms) boxes at this site; (rtr planeta russia) is
usually running.

http://delicast.com/tv

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Jim1911

#428 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:
Do you think 01micko would consider these (rerwin's remaster) changes in Slacko and Mr. Kauler in Wary?
I have suggested to rerwin that he package up his changes to the remaster script as a pet so other Puppies could use it. We will get some testing of the new features in Instant Update 002.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Testing Instant Update 002 for Lucid 5.2.8

This is a cumulative update that includes all of Instant Update 001. It can be installed on top of IU 001, or IU 001 can be uninstalled first.

include latest puppy-official-lucid list for PPM
XineDVD to deinterlace by default
add Pupsave Hot Backup by 2-byte
add alsa-info.sh by rerwin
gnome-mplayer -> 1.0.4
add GetLibreOffice by 01micko
retrovol -> 0.11 by pizzasgood
rerwin patch 9
Pburn -> 3.4.1 by zigbert
gtkdialog4 -> 0.8 by thunor
wcpufreq -> 0.8 by tazoc
PupControl -> 1.7.7 by radky
sfs-load -> 1.2 by shinobar

Highlights - Please test these

rerwin's enhancements and repairs to the remaster script - Menu -> Setup -> Remaster Puppy live-cd
gnome-mplayer is better with DVD menus - File -> Disc -> Open DVD with Menus
XineDVD has better video quality and a new gui - Click a DVD or Menu -> Multimedia -> XineDVD
Pupsave Hot Backup to backup the save file--before doing anything risky ;-) - Menu -> Utility -> Pupsave Hot Backup
alsa-info.sh to get alsa info (run in terminal)
Pburn update to latest - Menu -> Multimedia -> Pburn
GetLibreOffice - easy install of latest Libre Office - Menu -> Documents

Note: gnome/mplayer had been using x11 video output by default but that does not display DVD menus properly. It now uses xv video output, which is higher quality anyway. Edit -> Preferences - > Video Output

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/test0 ... 28-002.pet
Hi playdayz,
Is this update suitable for Three-Headed Dog 5.2.9?
Thanks,
Jim

playdayz

#429 Post by playdayz »

Hi playdayz,
Is this update suitable for Three-Headed Dog 5.2.9?
Thanks,
No Jim, Three-headed Dog already has a lot of it.

2blue

#430 Post by 2blue »

Hi
I downloaded and attempted to install the update package, however it seem to not know where it goes. I down loaded to new archive and I extracted to root (default place when asked). I'm not very good with this and just took a chance. Have I made too much of a mess now?

playdayz

#431 Post by playdayz »

Hi 2blue, I think it is not so much of a mess. Pet packages, that is, that have an extension pet, like the update, are designed to install themselves with just one click. There is no need for you to extract them. So if you still have the original update pet, just click it and you should get some prompts that it is installing. Or download it again if you don't still have it. After it installs, you can run Puppy Package Manager to see that it is successfully installed. Click the install icon on the desktop and then "Click button to run Puppy Package Manager." In the bottom right corner of Puppy Package Manager you will see the pets that are installed--the update should be there. Thanks.

playdayz

#432 Post by playdayz »

Instant Update 002 coming soon

2blue

#433 Post by 2blue »

Thanks playdayz

I followed your advice and managed to make the package install and appear in package manager. Now I'm on to installing Opera 11.52, that for some reason will not appear in the menu after install. Is there a package for this one yet?

scsijon

full install problem?

#434 Post by scsijon »

Can those with a 528 full install, check and see if they are also having this problem please.

You've clicked on the partition icon at the bottom for the partition your full 528 is mounted on and you have a rox filemanager screen open at the / level on your working desktop.

You also have ROX Filemanager open at /root ($home) on your working desktop opened by the File Icon.

You try to use your menu to reboot the workstation

yeah, I know I should do a cleanup and shutdown first, but........

?is it actually rebooting the workstation, or like me is it closing both rox sessions, dropping to the prompt, and just restarting xwin?

thanks
scsijon

sheldonisaac

#435 Post by sheldonisaac »

2blue wrote:Thanks playdayz

I followed your advice and managed to make the package install and appear in package manager. Now I'm on to installing Opera 11.52, that for some reason will not appear in the menu after install. Is there a package for this one yet?
Hi, see
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65426

Get back to me with any questions.

kevin bowers

Re: full install problem?

#436 Post by kevin bowers »

scsijon wrote:Can those with a 528 full install, check and see if they are also having this problem please.

You've clicked on the partition icon at the bottom for the partition your full 528 is mounted on and you have a rox filemanager screen open at the / level on your working desktop.

You also have ROX Filemanager open at /root ($home) on your working desktop opened by the File Icon.

?is it actually rebooting the workstation, or like me is it closing both rox sessions, dropping to the prompt, and just restarting xwin?

thanks
scsijon
scsijon,
Full install of 528 on Pentium dual-core w/ 4GB RAM & 2HDD's, 4 partitions total plus a swap partition, Puppy installed on sda3-ext4. I could not duplicate your problem; my system simply shuts down cleanly and reboots with legacy GRUB. On some earlier versions of Puppy, if the home partition was mounted on shutdown (not just the Puppy install but the partition itself), my older computers at least would not shut down but reboot with that partition still mounted (or again mounted?). I had to unmount the partition itself (of course Puppy could not unmount its installation) before the computer would shut down properly. Perhaps your bug is related? I think it has to do with the fact that Puppy is actually designed for frugal installs.
--Kevin

James C

Re: full install problem?

#437 Post by James C »

kevin bowers wrote:
scsijon wrote:Can those with a 528 full install, check and see if they are also having this problem please.

thanks
scsijon
scsijon,
Full install of 528 on Pentium dual-core w/ 4GB RAM & 2HDD's, 4 partitions total plus a swap partition, Puppy installed on sda3-ext4. I could not duplicate your problem; my system simply shuts down cleanly and reboots with legacy GRUB. On some earlier versions of Puppy, if the home partition was mounted on shutdown (not just the Puppy install but the partition itself), my older computers at least would not shut down but reboot with that partition still mounted (or again mounted?). I had to unmount the partition itself (of course Puppy could not unmount its installation) before the computer would shut down properly. Perhaps your bug is related? I think it has to do with the fact that Puppy is actually designed for frugal installs.
--Kevin
Full install here of 528 on my Athlon XP box....Puppy on sda7 (ext3).Rebooted correctly under the same conditions.

maxpro4u

A31 Thinkpad trackpoint

#438 Post by maxpro4u »

I am trying to get the middle button to work like a scroll wheel. Using suse I needed to add a file to xorg.conf

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-thinkpad.conf

and put in the text

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Trackpoint Wheel Emulation"
MatchProduct "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint|DualPoint Stick|Synaptics Inc. Composite TouchPad / TrackPoint|ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint|USB Trackpoint pointing device|Composite TouchPad / TrackPoint"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

where should I place the text for puppy?

edit- I added the text to the xorg and it works fine :roll:
Last edited by maxpro4u on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

playdayz

#439 Post by playdayz »

Now I'm on to installing Opera 11.52, that for some reason will not appear in the menu after install. Is there a package for this one yet?
2blue, Opera 11.52

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

stiginge

#440 Post by stiginge »

I have had nothing but continuous trouble with the wpa connection with this version