jesudia

full install in USB-STICK like a SSD hard drive

#1 Post by jesudia »

full install in USB-STICK like a SSD hard drive, can be interesting

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

Would you care to expand on that?
What makes it interesting?
I ask because your post gives no details.

jesudia

full install in USB-STICK like a SSD hard drive

#3 Post by jesudia »

I would like to do a full install of Puppy linux in a stick-usb and boot it (not a frugal), the same than a full install in a hard drive, in Debian is posible , in Puppy linux is posible ?

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

it should be possible, how does debian do it?

also why? :idea:

rjbrewer

Re: full install in USB-STICK like a SSD hard drive

#5 Post by rjbrewer »

jesudia wrote:I would like to do a full install of Puppy linux in a stick-usb and boot it (not a frugal), the same than a full install in a hard drive, in Debian is posible , in Puppy linux is posible ?
The installer in Puppy was not built to handle this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34263

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

2blue

#6 Post by 2blue »

I've been thinking a bout this too and tried different distros installed on usb connected SATA drives, but not all computers handle it well. I'm not quite sure why. Puppy savefiles run fine on any kind of external storage is seems. Some laptops have these small SSD drive inputs in addition to the main internal hard drive, and I imagine a puppy full install on this kind of storage would work. At least speeds and connections on the main board should be up to it.

firak

#7 Post by firak »

eeepc 701 was the most haked compiuter with ssd. You may search in the web what is already be done in this way.
My point of view: is not usefool.
All this effort to avoid 14€ sd cad o usb stick to install puppy? and is fast.
The real reason that ssd are in new copiuter, (and Intel is tolking to make it mandatory -ssd in notebook) is becouse of the problem of windoz. windoz need a lot of memory and swap. maybe i'm wrong . Do you kow that if win7 find an usb stick plugged during booting, it will use as swap during booting witout askin you permission?
maybe i'm wrong -
You may look how they did hack eeepc 701 ssd, and find away to make this kind of installation. searcing in the web.

sickgut

#8 Post by sickgut »

there has been pleanty of times ive wanted to use a full install will a propper file system on a usb stick. Also people tend to over exaggerate how quickly flash media will wear out and fail, in various experiments, ive used one flash disk for 3 years and have used linux dd command on it about 2 times on average a day and imaged the entire disk, it shows no signs of failing at all. I know you cant judge the quality of the other billion usb flash disks in use but in recent years they have become alot more durable. The reason alot of OSes dont have full install to usb stick is because the extra writing to the stick (compared to running in ram after booting from usb stick and saving to one save file) can potentially wear the stick out. it seems this is no longer a real concern anymore with large high quality usb sticks.

i think if puppy dont have a full install to usb stick feature then it should have one