Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
broomdodger

tray cpu graph - how to add click

#161 Post by broomdodger »

wary 5.2

How / where to edit to add clicking the cpu graph in the tray so it will open a file such as top or hardinfo?

Frank Cox

Re: tray cpu graph - how to add click

#162 Post by Frank Cox »

broomdodger wrote:wary 5.2

How / where to edit to add clicking the cpu graph in the tray so it will open a file such as top or hardinfo?

Not sure how to do that but would it not be just as well to drag the desktop file from /usr/share/applications?

shinobar

Re: Gimp Bug report

#163 Post by shinobar »

don570 wrote:I tried a version of Gimp 2.7.1 that shinobar made for
Wary and it couldn't save a document. The
application would disappear :cry:
shinobar wrote:There seem sharing library problem. I will check it up on Wary 5.2.

EDIT:
I am not sure what was wrong, but try gimp-2.7.1-1-w5.sfs.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/pup5/
Still got segfault at exporting the image... :oops:
Exactly, it crashes at looking up saving folder.

(gimp-2.7:9752): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags ( 8 ) on option of type 0
** Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.1/ff-load.so' load error: libavformat.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This is a development version of GIMP. Debug messages may appear here.

gimp-2.7: fatal error: Segmentation fault

EDIT:
I removed the SFS, and installed gimp-2.7.1-w5.pet, bable-0.1.2-w5 and gegl-0.1.2-w5 from the PPM. libavformat.so.52 is missing.
Got same result(Crash when looking up saving folder ).

EDIT2:
Tried compile new babl-0.1.4, gegl-0.1.6 and gimp-2.7.3 on Wary-5.2.
But the result is the same(Crash when looking up saving folder ).

EDIT3:
It seems the nVidia driver(nvidia-glx-285.05.09) and the kernel problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 166#577166
Last edited by shinobar on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 00:33, edited 2 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

01micko

#164 Post by 01micko »

Not likely. It is a "swallowed" app by JWM, which simply means that xload (the app you see in the tray) is actually a standalone app that JWM can reduce to a tray app. It would require a different (or totally recoded) xload to accomplish your goal... unless some JWM expert knows another way?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sylvander

#165 Post by Sylvander »

1. Setting up Wary-5.2 on 2003 hardware [mobo = ASUS A7A266].
Generally going well and looking good. :D
Except for the following bugs. :(

2. Problems with Psip32 Puppy Phone, as reported on its thread and seen and replied to by BK.

3. Installed Parcellite-1.0.0-i486.
Things copied appear in its list, but these will not "Clear".

4. Installed Frisbee-beta-2-lucid52:
Seems to be working, but...
Doesn't look or function like the version I have in Lupu-526.
i.e. Doesn't offer the various super options in the right-click menu.

5. Is it possible to do THIS with this Wary?
i.e. Make a pupsave on an internal HDD work as though a pupsave on a Flash Drive?

broomdodger

#166 Post by broomdodger »

01micko wrote:

Not likely. It is a "swallowed" app by JWM, which simply means that xload (the app you see in the tray) is actually a standalone app that JWM can reduce to a tray app. It would require a different (or totally recoded) xload to accomplish your goal... unless some JWM expert knows another way?
I forgot how I did it...
but once I changed what happened when I clicked on the time in the tray.
Is clicking on the cpu graph somehow different?

Sylvander

#167 Post by Sylvander »

Sylvander wrote:4. Installed Frisbee-beta-2-lucid52:
Seems to be working, but...
Doesn't look or function like the version I have in Lupu-526.
i.e. Doesn't offer the various super options in the right-click menu.
Sorry, my mistake...
I'm confusing this with Firewallstate...
Tried installing Firewallstate version 2.0, but it wouldn't run, so I've uninstalled it.
Perhaps I should try version 1.9.
Aha...just now installed that, and it seems to be working OK. :D

Frank Cox

Sound Cards

#168 Post by Frank Cox »

I am setting up an old Intel P4 . Installed Wary but it would not find the sound cards but 431 found both {only planning to use one} . Is there a package of sound card drivers for Wary or I am better off just going with 431?

rjbrewer

Re: Sound Cards

#169 Post by rjbrewer »

Frank Cox wrote:I am setting up an old Intel P4 . Installed Wary but it would not find the sound cards but 431 found both {only planning to use one} . Is there a package of sound card drivers for Wary or I am better off just going with 431?
Did you type alsaconf in console?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Frank Cox

Re: Sound Cards

#170 Post by Frank Cox »

rjbrewer wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:I am setting up an old Intel P4 . Installed Wary but it would not find the sound cards but 431 found both {only planning to use one} . Is there a package of sound card drivers for Wary or I am better off just going with 431?
Did you type alsaconf in console?
No but I ran the setup , same difference. 431 found both cards, Wary neither .

otropogo

Where's the iso?

#171 Post by otropogo »

Where can I download Wary? I'm getting desperate to find a version of puppy that will run on both my laptop and my desktop machines AND reliably support my USB3 3TB drive, even if only on the USB2 port.

Update: Have now gone to the look in the "test" directory on ibiblio indicated on Barry's downlink, and find no wary iso or wary folder corresponding to the iso named...
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

pemasu

#172 Post by pemasu »

Otropogo. Usually the first post of the first page is the source information of the stuff which the thread is about. Sometimes you need to scroll the first page a little before you find what you are after. I have taken nowadays custom to post links at the top of the first post also. Just to be sure that fast scrolling people does not miss what they are after.......

smokey01

#173 Post by smokey01 »

otropogo

#174 Post by otropogo »

Thanks. Downloading it now. Slower than molasses...63KB/s

I tried to work backwards from the last page here looking for the right link, but the first one I found was bad too...

otropogo

#175 Post by otropogo »

pemasu wrote:Otropogo. Usually the first post of the first page is the source information of the stuff which the thread is about. Sometimes you need to scroll the first page a little before you find what you are after. I have taken nowadays custom to post links at the top of the first post also. Just to be sure that fast scrolling people does not miss what they are after.......
I haven't had much experience with this, and it's mostly with pburn, where Zigbert usually puts the latest version's download link right on the first page of the thread. But in this case, I followed Barry's suggestion and went to his Blog, and clicked on the ibiblio link there.

That gave a 404 error, and going to the cited /test/ directory didn't turn up the iso either...I then went to the end of the forum thread and worked backwards, but the first download link I found, which logically should be the most current, also produced a "404".

So I think it's fair to say that I had grounds to protest.

I think Zigbert's procedure of placing the current download link(s) in the first post of the thread is best, as anywhere else it's going to be shuffled. But of course that will only work if the thread owner is willing and able to keep it updated or can find some mechanism to delegate that process.

BTW - out of curiosity I slowly scrolled through all of page 1, and then all of page 2 of the thread as well. I don't know if my eyes are failing me, or what, but I couldn't see a download link for the 5.2 iso in either of those pages.

pemasu

#176 Post by pemasu »

October 14, 2011: Wary Puppy 5.2

See my blog announcement:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02543

Discussion starts on page 5 of this Forum thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 975#572975
Follow the blog announcement link......
The live-CD ISO file is 123.6MB, which might seen pretty small, yet it could have been much smaller -- the build has the "Out house sink" in terms of kernel drivers, for example very large 3rd-party analog modem drivers. Download:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.2/wary-5.2.iso

otropogo

#177 Post by otropogo »

pemasu wrote:
October 14, 2011: Wary Puppy 5.2

See my blog announcement:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02543

Discussion starts on page 5 of this Forum thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 975#572975
Follow the blog announcement link......
The live-CD ISO file is 123.6MB, which might seen pretty small, yet it could have been much smaller -- the build has the "Out house sink" in terms of kernel drivers, for example very large 3rd-party analog modem drivers. Download:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.2/wary-5.2.iso
OK. I see now. But IMO the announcements and links are backward. The top one should be the most recent, and the less recent ones should follow it in reverse chronological order down to the earliest.

In any case, it's just wrong to offer dead links in an active discussion thread.

linuxcbon

#178 Post by linuxcbon »

- do you need /usr/local/share/ ?
- do you need /usr/local/sbin/ ? it contains only a link
- do you need /usr/local/sys-freedos ?
- /usr/doc/ is empty
- what is /usr/share/misc/ for ?
- what is /usr/share/images/ for ?

otropogo

Wary desktop black, no icons, wallpaper, no ROX

#179 Post by otropogo »

Have just burned and booted a couple of times with Wary 5.2. Configuring the video was particulary difficult. Had to settle for a weird resolution, because the only one that worked out of the box for me (1600x1200) is too fine for my eyes, and the usual display adjustment doesn't work for me on this Puppy. I usually select 1280x1024, but can't make it work in Wary. The substitute loses some 10% of my screen on each side.

More significant is the problem of no icons, no wallpaper. All I've got after xorg finishes is a black screen except for the bottom task bar. There are no icons, I can only launch programs or utilites from the drop down menu by right clicking on the screen or on "menu", and many of the menu tabs don't work for me.

Pmount opens, and seems to mount and unmount partitions. But clicking on the mounted icon doesn't open a window to the partition. Also, the preference tab doesn't appear to accomplish anything. The lack of drive access is probably related to the non-functionality of ROX. Clicking on its tab in the applications menu doesn't do anything. So there's no way to open a file.

Unless it's an image file supported by GIMP, which does open and work from the menu, and will navigate the filesystem , show and open files it supports (but not any others, they remain invisible).

Seamonkey also works, I'm using it right now. And surprisingly, it's picked up my bookmarks from somewhere, (possibly my bookmarks.html file)?

ABI doesn't work.

The wallpaper selector opens and displays the names of wallpaper jpegs, but doesn't do anything when I click on them and on "apply".

Terryphi

Re: Wary desktop black, no icons, wallpaper, no ROX

#180 Post by Terryphi »

otropogo wrote: More significant is the problem of no icons, no wallpaper. All I've got after xorg finishes is a black screen except for the bottom task bar. There are no icons, I can only launch programs or utilites from the drop down menu by right clicking on the screen or on "menu", and many of the menu tabs don't work for me.

Pmount opens, and seems to mount and unmount partitions. But clicking on the mounted icon doesn't open a window to the partition. Also, the preference tab doesn't appear to accomplish anything. The lack of drive access is probably related to the non-functionality of ROX. Clicking on its tab in the applications menu doesn't do anything. So there's no way to open a file.
The problem you describe has been seen when using a savefile from a previous version of Wary. If you are using a previous savefile then this solution worked for me:

From the terminal run these two commands:

rm /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders >/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

When you reboot all should be as expected.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)